X1 - Kinect doesn't work and voice controls barely work

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Fishsticklover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Fishsticklover
Member since 2013 • 252 Posts

This is very painful to watch... The Kinect doesn't work properly and its voice controls barely work. I'm so glad that I didn't waste 500 dollars on this.

Ofcourse Lems will argue that everything works perfectly for them, but you should know by now not to take them too seriously.

Ofcourse the PS4 camera does work! Good news for PS4 owners, that if they want to invest in a camera, it actually works.
(also look at how much fun they are having, unlike the Kinect)

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

Kinda pointless

"Ofcourse Lems will argue that everything works perfectly for them, but you should know by now not to take them too seriously."
"Ofcourse cows will argue that everything works perfectly for them, but you should know by now not to take them too seriously."

works both ways, not one.
Don't judge from a video, get whatever console you want and judge that. If you base everything from someone else, you are gonna miss out on a lot in life.

bloodlust_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 bloodlust_101
Member since 2003 • 2764 Posts

Does that guy honestly have a pixel artwork of the stolen bike thing on his wall?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

bu bu bu it works flawlessly..60% of the time..lolz

mprince131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mprince131
Member since 2006 • 406 Posts

Hey, OP do you have a Kinect? Doubtful...Stick to what you know and quit being butthurt. Kinect hasn't been perfect but it has worked pretty well for me. Take it from someone who has one. It's funny how Kinect was a useless peripheral and a spycamera but now some cows, not all, are singing praises to the PS camera which has the technology of last generations Kinect. Talk about a 180. And besides you can fix Kinect's software, you can't improve the PS camera past its technical limitations.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

meh, kinect sucks ass but what can you do, you are stuck with it if you want to play games on the system.

just like the bullshyt you get stuck with paying for but think is bullshyt on every other product you own.

Fishsticklover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fishsticklover

@mprince131 said:

Hey, OP do you have a Kinect? Doubtful...Stick to what you know and quit being butthurt. Kinect hasn't been perfect but it has worked pretty well for me. Take it from someone who has one. It's funny how Kinect was a useless peripheral and a spycamera but now some cows, not all, are singing praises to the PS camera which has the technology of last generations Kinect. Talk about a 180. And besides you can fix Kinect's software, you can't improve the PS camera past its technical limitations.

How am I butthurt? Over what? lol

If anyone is butthurt it's you pal, because the Kinect is a 100$ broken piece of garbage. :)

This video proves it, and there are many videos out there just like this one. Bububu yours apparently works ok, well what a coincidence!

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

Works 100% for me.

strawhatlupi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 strawhatlupi
Member since 2008 • 869 Posts

works well with ads..

Fishsticklover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fishsticklover

@Evo_nine said:

Works 100% for me.

I'm sure it does. It magically works for all Lems on this board. LOL

#playsalong

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@fishsticklover said:

@Evo_nine said:

Works 100% for me.

I'm not a lem, and its worked (at least the voice commands; haven't tried kinect) fine for me.

Fishsticklover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Fishsticklover

@clone01 said:

@fishsticklover said:

@Evo_nine said:

Works 100% for me.

I'm not a lem, and its worked (at least the voice commands; haven't tried kinect) fine for me.

Hmm...

Your anecdotal evidence vs my real evidence

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

@fishsticklover said:

@clone01 said:

@fishsticklover said:

@Evo_nine said:

Works 100% for me.

Hmm...

Your anecdotal evidence vs my

real evidence

Loading Video...

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

I knew it wouldn't work.

Buttons are the only way to command inputs. Basically, keep it traditional.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@fishsticklover said:

@clone01 said:

@fishsticklover said:

@Evo_nine said:

Works 100% for me.

Hmm...

real evidence

Okay. I'm not questioning your video, I'm just saying that mine seems to work okay, and calling someone a fanboy just because they've had no issues is a little silly, don't you think?

mprince131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mprince131

@fishsticklover:

@fishsticklover said:

@mprince131 said:

If anyone is butthurt it's you pal, because the Kinect is a 100$ broken piece of garbage. :)

This video proves it, and there are many videos out there just like this one. Bububu yours apparently works ok, well what a coincidence!

You're butthurt because you're complaining about something you don't even own. That screams of insecurity. I'd thought you'd get that point but clearly it flew over your head.

Yeah mine does work, its not a coincidence, it's because I actually have one. Guess what there are many videos out there period. It wouldn't be hard to find damning PS4 videos, i.e wobbling, blue light of death, poor signal connect etc. so just stop making yourself look and sound like an idiot. You're the kind of person who would write a college paper and site reddit or a Youtube video as a source.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

he's an idiot, he says "kinect close kinect sports rivals" when he's supposed to say "Xbox close kinect sports rivals PRESEASON"

plus the Kinect doesn't need as much distance as it did on the Xbox 360, but it still won't work if you have a giant coffee table obstructing the head to toe view

this guy must be trying to fail

mprince131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mprince131

@lamprey263:

@lamprey263 said:

he's an idiot, he says "kinect close kinect sports rivals" when he's supposed to say "Xbox close kinect sports rivals PRESEASON"

plus the Kinect doesn't need as much distance as it did on the Xbox 360, but it still won't work if you have a giant coffee table obstructing the head to toe view

I actually like DSP and his content but he's not the biggest fan of MS. If you watched his xbox one unboxing vs. his Ps4 unboxing. He complained that the retail packaging was black in his unboxing. He complained about the look of the day one edition game cases. He said the power brick was bigger than the 360's which isnt true. It was just a whole video complaining. He isn't what i would call fair and balanced.

Fishsticklover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Fishsticklover

@mprince131 said:

@lamprey263:

@lamprey263 said:

I actually like DSP and his content but he's not the biggest fan of MS. If you watched his xbox one unboxing vs. his Ps4 unboxing. He complained that the retail packaging was black in his unboxing. He complained about the look of the day one edition game cases. He said the power brick was bigger than the 360's which isnt true. It was just a whole video complaining. He isn't what i would call fair and balanced.

DSP loved the 360 over the PS3, you don't know him very well it seems.

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

@fishsticklover said:

@Evo_nine said:

Works 100% for me.

#playsalong

ok, don't care, believe what you want.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

I can tell you right here and now, i own a Xbox One and i can verify that it works very well with the Kinect Sports Rivals demo SOME of the time. Most of the time i can not get it work at all. I ended up deleting the demo from frustration. I thinks it is just a buggy demo and not a fault of the Kinect. Kinect does work well in all other respects. My voice commands always work. Problem is i would rather NOT use the voice commands and just simply using my controller instead. I have used Kinect in some of the Xbox Fitness games, and it works very well. What i can not understand is how MS could launch Xbox One without one fully featured Kinect game.

MrXboxOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrXboxOne
Member since 2013 • 799 Posts

@fishsticklover said:
Loading Video...

This is very painful to watch... The Kinect doesn't work properly and its voice controls barely work. I'm so glad that I didn't waste 500 dollars on this.

Ofcourse Lems will argue that everything works perfectly for them, but you should know by now not to take them too seriously.

Ofcourse the PS4 camera does work! Good news for PS4 owners, that if they want to invest in a camera, it actually works.

(also look at how much fun they are having, unlike the Kinect)

Loading Video...

Then they didn't set it up correctly, simple as that.

Fishsticklover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Fishsticklover

@mprince131 said:

@fishsticklover:

@fishsticklover said:

@mprince131 said:

You're butthurt because you're complaining about something you don't even own. That screams of insecurity. I'd thought you'd get that point but clearly it flew over your head.

Yeah mine does work, its not a coincidence, it's because I actually have one. Guess what there are many videos out there period. It wouldn't be hard to find damning PS4 videos, i.e wobbling, blue light of death, poor signal connect etc. so just stop making yourself look and sound like an idiot. You're the kind of person who would write a college paper and site reddit or a Youtube video as a source.

It clearly flew over my head? You're not making any sense whatsoever. You're telling me that I'm "butthurt" because i'm "complaining" about the kinect? Weird logic there. I just said that it doesn't work as good as the PS4 camera does, no need to get your panties in a bunch.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

It works 60% of the time, every time.

mprince131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mprince131

@fishsticklover said:

@mprince131 said:

@fishsticklover:

@fishsticklover said:

@mprince131 said:

It clearly flew over my head? You're not making any sense whatsoever. You're telling me that I'm "butthurt" because i'm "complaining" about the kinect? Weird logic there. I just said that it doesn't work as good as the PS4 camera does, no need to get your panties in a bunch.

LOL, my panties are not in a bunch, beleive me. Go back and read your original post. You took the time to select one youtuber who was having a problem with kinect and make a thread title like this. I think you're the nonsensical person in this scenario. I will admit that Kinect Sports Preseason is for some reason having issues but that is hardly representative of Kinect as a whole especially when the general consensus is that Kinect is far more advanced and does far more then the PS camera.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#26 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

Lol. Even with my speech issues i have, kinect works easily most of the time for me.

cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cheesie253
Member since 2003 • 1014 Posts

I can easily make a video of it not working. I could easily make a video of it working great. If you use it correctly it's almost 100%. I have a couple problems ere and there but it's mostly just user error and not saying the right thing it saying it too fast.

YD_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By YD_11
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

I'll admittedly have to repeat myself every once in a while be it because i didn't speak up or gave the wrong command. Ultimately the Kinect correctly registers mine and my wife's commands and navigates in a flash. Truly a next gen experience imo. There is definitely a great deal of satisfaction when you use the xbox one voice commands instantly switching. Walking in when my wife is watching tv or playing forza and getting the hello bleep from the console always impresses me :)

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@mprince131 said:

Yeah I have 4 buds and only 2 needed to recalibrate Kinect. Id say we're around 90% on voice commands. Kinect absolutely works.

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

Funny. They work just fine for me.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

The hand motions are really bad, but after a few goes at Kinect sports I could control the jetski really easy and it was a lot of fun. I think it is something that someone has to get used to.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Try Speaking like a villain. Maybe then it will recognize you.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@lamprey263 said:he's an idiot, he says "kinect close kinect sports rivals" when he's supposed to say "Xbox close kinect sports rivals PRESEASON"

This brings up a point about Kinect's voice recognition that I've yet to hear an answer on (and I don't have a One nor have seen one to experiment with yet).

Do you need to remember exact precise commands for Kinect's voice commands to work? Voice recognition technology has surpassed this point. Apple's Siri is able to understand meaning and context no matter how they vary. It understands and works exactly the same if someone says, "Schedule a 9:30 a.m. appointment with Dr. Smith at Kaiser" just as if they had said, "I have a 9:30 a.m. appointment at Kaiser to see Dr. Smith, please schedule." Or, "Find me some Chinese food within 5 miles" just as well as, "Is there Chinese food nearby?".

The convenience and efficiency that language affords lies in its ability to convey and understand the same meanings even though they are expressed differently. Siri isn't perfect, it will never be due to language's inherent nature, but it seems to do the above for the most part fairly well.

Does Kinect? That's not a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely curious.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

@lamprey263 said:

This brings up a point about Kinect's voice recognition that I've yet to hear an answer on (and I don't have a One nor have seen one to experiment with yet).

Do you need to remember exact precise commands for Kinect's voice commands to work? Voice recognition technology has surpassed this point. Apple's Siri is able to understand meaning and context no matter how they vary. It understands and works exactly the same if someone says, "Schedule a 9:30 a.m. appointment with Dr. Smith at Kaiser" just as if they had said, "I have a 9:30 a.m. appointment at Kaiser to see Dr. Smith, please schedule." Or, "Find me some Chinese food within 5 miles" just as well as, "Is there Chinese food nearby?".

The convenience and efficiency of language is its ability to convey and understand the same meanings even though they are expressed differently. Siri isn't perfect, it will never be due to language's inherent nature, but it seems to do the above for the most part fairly well.

yes you have to remember exact phrases

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@lamprey263 said:

The convenience and efficiency of language is its ability to convey and understand the same meanings even though they are expressed differently. Siri isn't perfect, it will never be due to language's inherent nature, but it seems to do the above for the most part fairly well.

yes you have to remember exact phrases

That's a bummer.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Heil68

Right for GS review of the Xbone:

"it’s disappointingly unrealized at launch. The increased performance of the new Kinect affords the console a unique blend of special features and innovative player interaction, though it’s inconsistent and unreliable."

Let me guess, the reviewer didn't say the commands correctly? :roll:

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

Im pretty sure fish made video. Anyway its magical, so much so heli is jealous

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

Commands were pretty bad for me as well at first. But its gotten alot better after some practice, although its still pretty spotty when there is alot of background noise.

Its unfortunate you cant just casually rattle off commands, but if you speak slowly and clearly they do work fairly well.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Heil68

@XBOunity said:

Im pretty sure fish made video. Anyway its magical, so much so heli is jealous

Well the videos I've seen form IGN, GameSpot and GiantBomb it seems to not be that accurate. Reading GS's review states that as well. That's all I have to go on since I haven't been able to try it myself.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BeardMaster

@Heil68: when you have a room full of people talking and lots of background noise the success rare definitely takes a nose dive. Under normal use its alot more consistent. Although there is certainly room for improvement especially if they can manage to speed up the wakeuo time. It seems like alot of the issues are the kinect takes too long to start listening and misses the command if you speak too quickky.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Heil68

@BeardMaster said:

@Heil68: when you have a room full of people talking and lots of background noise the success rare definitely takes a nose dive. Under normal use its alot more consistent. Although there is certainly room for improvement especially if they can manage to speed up the wakeuo time. It seems like alot of the issues are the kinect takes too long to start listening and misses the command if you speak too quickky.

I figured as much. I cant imagine having friends over and having to them them to be quiet so you can change the tv channel or navigate the UI.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BeardMaster

@Heil68: well you can always just use the remote and go old school in those scenarios, or use the controller or smartglass.

Then again I dont even have cable so i have no idea how useful it is for live tv.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@fishsticklover said:

@Evo_nine said:

Works 100% for me.

#playsalong

And it magically doesn't work for all Cow who don't own an XBox One. LOL!! Stupid trolls.

Renegade311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Renegade311
Member since 2013 • 350 Posts

@danabo said:

@fishsticklover said:

@clone01 said:

@fishsticklover said:

@Evo_nine said:

Works 100% for me.

Hmm...

real evidence

Loading Video...

Fishstick idiot is mad because he can't afford either system. I own both a PS4 and an XBO and the Kinect works wonderfully, meanwhile the PS4 voice commands were added in at the last minute and barely work

Cows = village idiots of SW

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46  Edited By Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

Being realistically Voice command today are not perfect.. it's just luxury not really anything in depth or dependent. For example i have an accept and i wouldn't be surprised if the X1 wouldn't understand me... people that weren't raised in a diverse community have trouble understanding my accent unless i make the effort to hide my voice with a deeper and louder one. I'm sure the X1 works like those kinds of people. So at least it works for some one.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts
Loading Video...