X1 games will do a lot more at a slightly lower resolution

  • 52 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by OLLIEscouse (41 posts) -

Just think about it for a second.

Since most X1 games run at a slightly lower resolution than PS4 games means developers will be able to use much more effects in X1 games.

So it's a trade-off really, the only thing that matters is what you find the most important. To me resolution isn't a big deal, especially since 720p and 1080p isn't that big of a difference. But X1 games on the other hand will probably look more polished thus better

This resolution crap needs to stop seriously, since both versions will look good in their own way

What do you think?

#2 Edited by lostrib (37587 posts) -

I think you're full of shit

#3 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9807 posts) -

Why really need a 4k posts minimum to be able to post threads in SW

#4 Posted by Shewgenja (9613 posts) -

125% more pixels is not a small difference. There is also no proof that developers are running more effects through the XBone version of games than PS4.

#5 Posted by Heil68 (45145 posts) -

@lostrib said:

I think you're full of shit

I think the PS4 is a go, locked and loaded TC. Better strap one on, it's going to be a wild mother fucking thrill ride.

Day fucking 1, how about you?

#6 Posted by Shewgenja (9613 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@lostrib said:

I think you're full of shit

I think the PS4 is a go, locked and loaded TC. Better strap one on, it's going to be a wild mother fucking thrill ride.

Day fucking 1, how about you?

Your post fills me with By the Gamers For the Gamers Live Love and Learn goodness, my friend!

#7 Posted by Heil68 (45145 posts) -

@Shewgenja:

That gif is #legendary.

#8 Edited by Shewgenja (9613 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@Shewgenja:

That gif is #legendary.

No. YOU are legendary!

#9 Posted by General_Solo76 (229 posts) -

Ummm.......with that logic, couldn't developers just lower the PS4 resolution to match the X1 and pull out even fancier textures and effects than the X1?

#10 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@lostrib said:

I think you're full of shit

Typical Cow reply to another persons opinion if it doesn't match his own. Stay pathetic my friends.

#11 Posted by Shewgenja (9613 posts) -

@general_solo76 said:

Ummm.......with that logic, couldn't developers just lower the PS4 resolution to match the X1 and pull out even fancier textures and effects than the X1?

Please refrain from using logic in System Wars. Someone could get hurt.

#12 Posted by StormyJoe (5497 posts) -

@olliescouse said:

Just think about it for a second.

Since most X1 games run at a slightly lower resolution than PS4 games means developers will be able to use much more effects in X1 games.

So it's a trade-off really, the only thing that matters is what you find the most important. To me resolution isn't a big deal, especially since 720p and 1080p isn't that big of a difference. But X1 games on the other hand will probably look more polished thus better

This resolution crap needs to stop seriously, since both versions will look good in their own way

What do you think?

I see your point, but haven't read anything that says it's true.

#13 Posted by Suppaman100 (3936 posts) -

@general_solo76 said:

Ummm.......with that logic, couldn't developers just lower the PS4 resolution to match the X1 and pull out even fancier textures and effects than the X1?

/thread

TLHBO

#14 Posted by silversix_ (14784 posts) -

No one cares about what is happening or will happen to X1 graphically. The POS can't handle CoD and effects its something not very known to this franchise. At the end you can dream about all kind of shit but X1 won't have anything over ps4 and run in 720p for the next ten year. Prepare your eyes for Xbox One's 720p experience the sooner the better.

#15 Edited by silversix_ (14784 posts) -
@StormyJoe said:

@olliescouse said:

Just think about it for a second.

Since most X1 games run at a slightly lower resolution than PS4 games means developers will be able to use much more effects in X1 games.

So it's a trade-off really, the only thing that matters is what you find the most important. To me resolution isn't a big deal, especially since 720p and 1080p isn't that big of a difference. But X1 games on the other hand will probably look more polished thus better

This resolution crap needs to stop seriously, since both versions will look good in their own way

What do you think?

I see your point, but haven't read anything that says it's true.

Its not even "slightly", its 2x less pixels lol that is far from a minor difference.

#16 Posted by lostrib (37587 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@lostrib said:

I think you're full of shit

Typical Cow reply to another persons opinion if it doesn't match his own. Stay pathetic my friends.

I don't own a Playstation. Try again

#17 Edited by b4il (91 posts) -

@general_solo76 said:

Ummm.......with that logic, couldn't developers just lower the PS4 resolution to match the X1 and pull out even fancier textures and effects than the X1?

yes they could? either sony knows that 1080p is a magical buzzword nowadays and they asked developers to go for that resolution, even though that would mean lowering other things as lightning/textures/etc to achieve that. or the ps4 hardware is indeed easier to develop for. or the ps4 hardware is indeed better. we can't really tell unless we see both versions in action, maybe the textures and effects aren't better at all on the x1 or maybe they are and resolution won't matter that much. i don't know yet what to believe since i haven't seen anything live.

#18 Posted by Bishop1310 (1108 posts) -

Holy shit is the OP being serious?.... People are so damn uneducated I'm embarrassed for them.

#19 Posted by KillzoneSnake (1749 posts) -

lol joke thread. PS4 can do what X1 does but at a higher resolution. also too bad X1 doesnt have the secret sauces.. Guerrilla Games, Naughty Dog, Santa Monica. Good luck X1 xD

#20 Posted by cmat35 (89 posts) -

I think that the people that defend something because of blind loyalty are similar to the people that defend certain politicians.

Most of us know how ridiculous you are being but for some reason you just keep on doing it.

#21 Edited by Krelian-co (11161 posts) -

great another alt account.

#22 Edited by McStrongfast (4271 posts) -

Just use your real account. You're not gonna get banned from god damn System Wars by posting stupid fanboy bullshit.

@Nengo_Flow said:

Why really need a 4k posts minimum to be able to post threads in SW

No point trying to increase the level of discourse in this abominable cesspool anyway.

#23 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6255 posts) -

Obviously lower rez means more horsepower left for other things like poly count, lighting, tesselation and so forth.

Seems that Xbox is built around upscaling strategy.

PS3 didn't have an onboard upscaler and that hurt it alot in terms of game look and feel for multiplats.

All graphics are illusion.

If you can make the picture LOOK high quality, it doesn't really matter how you do it.

#24 Edited by Gue1 (10189 posts) -

the only trade-off here is that the XB1 needs to run at much lower resolution to achieve the same results as the PS4 running at twice the resolution.

PS4 and Xb1 are nearly the same system, with the same architecture and nearly same specs but with a few differences that give the PS4 the edge. First is the truly unified memory architecture. And then the much larger GPU.

This is not like the PS3 vs X360 where one had better CPU while the other had better GPU. PS4 is slightly better at every single aspect compared to the Xbox One except for 1 thing. And that is the multi-tasking because of the lower latency DDR3 for the CPU. But when it comes to games the PS4 will always destroy the XB1 no matter what. There is no secret sauce.

#25 Posted by StormyJoe (5497 posts) -

@silversix_ said:
@StormyJoe said:

@olliescouse said:

Just think about it for a second.

Since most X1 games run at a slightly lower resolution than PS4 games means developers will be able to use much more effects in X1 games.

So it's a trade-off really, the only thing that matters is what you find the most important. To me resolution isn't a big deal, especially since 720p and 1080p isn't that big of a difference. But X1 games on the other hand will probably look more polished thus better

This resolution crap needs to stop seriously, since both versions will look good in their own way

What do you think?

I see your point, but haven't read anything that says it's true.

Its not even "slightly", its 2x less pixels lol that is far from a minor difference.

Yeah, but it's not like the XB1 couldn't hit 1080P with Call Of Duty (they even said they did) - it just wasn't maintaining 60fps as well as the PS4 version, so they downgraded it to 720p.

#26 Posted by silversix_ (14784 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

@silversix_ said:
@StormyJoe said:

@olliescouse said:

Just think about it for a second.

Since most X1 games run at a slightly lower resolution than PS4 games means developers will be able to use much more effects in X1 games.

So it's a trade-off really, the only thing that matters is what you find the most important. To me resolution isn't a big deal, especially since 720p and 1080p isn't that big of a difference. But X1 games on the other hand will probably look more polished thus better

This resolution crap needs to stop seriously, since both versions will look good in their own way

What do you think?

I see your point, but haven't read anything that says it's true.

Its not even "slightly", its 2x less pixels lol that is far from a minor difference.

Yeah, but it's not like the XB1 couldn't hit 1080P with Call Of Duty (they even said they did) - it just wasn't maintaining 60fps as well as the PS4 version, so they downgraded it to 720p.

and its maintaining fps at 720p? No it doesn't. On ps4 it runs at 1080p and drops to 50fps. On X1 it runs 720p and drops to 50fps. Now imagine to what frames would drop if X1 was running in 1080p... We shouldn't be talking about X1 power because its obviously pretty weak.

#27 Posted by SonofK (1066 posts) -

I think it's pretty common knowledge that the PS4 had to suffer from degraded textures and particle effects to get a higher resolution.

#28 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (2502 posts) -

@lostrib said:

I think you're full of shit

Fact is full of shit? lol?

#29 Posted by kraken2109 (13070 posts) -

720p has no place in 2013

#30 Posted by EnviousEyezOnMe (260 posts) -

@ZombieKiller7 said:

Obviously lower rez means more horsepower left for other things like poly count, lighting, tesselation and so forth.

Seems that Xbox is built around upscaling strategy.

PS3 didn't have an onboard upscaler and that hurt it alot in terms of game look and feel for multiplats.

All graphics are illusion.

If you can make the picture LOOK high quality, it doesn't really matter how you do it.

^ ^ ^ THIS. Read this without your fanboy goggles

#31 Posted by Chozofication (2922 posts) -

Example of same game, same assets :

Ps4 - 1080p30fps

Xbox one - 900p20fps

And that's best case scenario for Xbox.

#32 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

I'd take clarity over slightly better effects any day. 1080p does a LOT for a game

#33 Edited by redskins26rocs (2674 posts) -

WTF? This makes no sense it is at 720p because of the power limitation yet it will be able to handle more effects then the PS4.

I would rather play a game, especially on a big TV at 1080p(even 900p), then play some blurry ass game with something like physx

#34 Posted by danabo (2474 posts) -

The Xbox One already does a lot more.


#35 Posted by telefanatic (2881 posts) -

That is the dumbest logic i have ever try to understand.

#36 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

Is this the new lemming damage control message?

#37 Posted by StormyJoe (5497 posts) -

#

@silversix_ said:

@StormyJoe said:

@silversix_ said:
@StormyJoe said:

@olliescouse said:

Just think about it for a second.

Since most X1 games run at a slightly lower resolution than PS4 games means developers will be able to use much more effects in X1 games.

So it's a trade-off really, the only thing that matters is what you find the most important. To me resolution isn't a big deal, especially since 720p and 1080p isn't that big of a difference. But X1 games on the other hand will probably look more polished thus better

This resolution crap needs to stop seriously, since both versions will look good in their own way

What do you think?

I see your point, but haven't read anything that says it's true.

Its not even "slightly", its 2x less pixels lol that is far from a minor difference.

Yeah, but it's not like the XB1 couldn't hit 1080P with Call Of Duty (they even said they did) - it just wasn't maintaining 60fps as well as the PS4 version, so they downgraded it to 720p.

and its maintaining fps at 720p? No it doesn't. On ps4 it runs at 1080p and drops to 50fps. On X1 it runs 720p and drops to 50fps. Now imagine to what frames would drop if X1 was running in 1080p... We shouldn't be talking about X1 power because its obviously pretty weak.

Why the Hell would I make it up? Read paragraph 5: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/infinity-ward-had-call-of-duty-ghosts-running-at-1080p-on-xbox-one/0123691

#38 Posted by silversix_ (14784 posts) -

@StormyJoe: there's nothing to read, i've seen enough damage control from the press, MS and fanboys. Console is weak and its time to move on like sheep did with their WiiU

#39 Posted by lostrib (37587 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@lostrib said:

I think you're full of shit

Fact is full of shit? lol?

it's not fact, it's speculation

#40 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

@lostrib said:

I think you're full of shit

#41 Edited by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

I see some lemmings are still in denial.

#42 Edited by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

you silly billy.

the gpu is inferior. all things considered the ps4 can have a superior looking version of a game.

lower the xb1 res to increase the detail. why not make the ps4 game an identical res and increase it's detail? which one has more gpu overhead?

therein lies the answer.

#43 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1967 posts) -

Over 100% more pixel is not slight difference. Also ps4 version running better with better asset. TLHBO and live denial. Please make new account and troll more xbox fans.

#45 Posted by Caseytappy (2147 posts) -

But ......but , the lower framerate on the Xbone leaves devs more time to put extra effects in the game !

Am I doing it right OP ?

#46 Edited by yukushi (167 posts) -

@olliescouse said:

Just think about it for a second.

Since most X1 games run at a slightly lower resolution than PS4 games means developers will be able to use much more effects in X1 games.

So it's a trade-off really, the only thing that matters is what you find the most important. To me resolution isn't a big deal, especially since 720p and 1080p isn't that big of a difference. But X1 games on the other hand will probably look more polished thus better

This resolution crap needs to stop seriously, since both versions will look good in their own way

What do you think?

I think a delusional fanboy is trying to come up with excuses to justify buying a console that is 100 dollars more expensive and has inferior looking games.

#47 Posted by danabo (2474 posts) -

"Xbox One is designed to deliver the best blockbuster games today and for the next decade, and supports up to 4K resolution for games and entertainment," Microsoft told OXM in an emailed clarification. "However, we've left the decision up to individual developers to determine what resolution best fits their own design goals. Xbox One will present all titles at 1080p either natively or upscaled by the Xbox One."

Xbox One engineer Andrew Goossen has now commented further on this in a (fairly layman-unfriendly) Digital Foundry report. "We've chosen to let title developers make the trade-off of resolution versus per-pixel quality in whatever way is most appropriate to their game content," he told the site.

"A lower resolution generally means that there can be more quality per pixel. With a high quality scaler and anti-aliasing and render resolutions such as 720p or '900p', some games look better with more GPU processing going to each pixel than to the number of pixels; others look better at 1080p with less GPU processing per pixel."

This differs to Microsoft's launch-day approach with the Xbox 360, Goossen continued. "We built Xbox One with a higher quality scaler than on Xbox 360, and added an additional display plane, to provide more freedom to developers in this area.

"This matter of choice was a lesson we learned from Xbox 360 where at launch we had a Technical Certification Requirement mandate that all titles had to be 720p or better with at least 2x anti-aliasing - and we later ended up eliminating that TCR as we found it was ultimately better to allow developers to make the resolution decision themselves.

"Game developers are naturally [incentivised] to make the highest quality visuals possible," he concluded. "And so will choose the most appropriate trade-off between quality of each pixel versus number of pixels for their games."

http://www.oxm.co.uk/63388/why-microsoft-doesnt-require-xbox-one-devs-to-run-games-in-native-1080p/

However, the PS4 is more powerful and $100 cheaper and won't need to make as many trade-offs.

I still prefer the Xbox One's exclusives, UI, Kinect 2.0, and the many other features it offers.

#48 Edited by b4il (91 posts) -

@danabo said:

"A lower resolution generally means that there can be more quality per pixel."

i thought this ever since the whole resolution debate came up and it could be true if we look at the comparison vids.

if it's true and the x1 upscaler does a great job, the games will look fine even with 720p. great quality is still great quality if upscaled correctly. before i switched to blu ray, some bad dvd's looked really horrible on a full hd tv, but good content looked really really good with the upscaling of my bd-player.

#49 Edited by trasherhead (3058 posts) -

They are not lowering the res to do more, they are lowering it to be able to do the same amount. If they did 1080p they would have to reduce the stuff on screen. Get their draw calls down, drop AA etc.

Edit: This is not unlike what they had to do at the beginning of current gen with the PS3 to be able to match up with the 360.

#50 Posted by Shewgenja (9613 posts) -

The PS4 has twice as many ROPs. There are no effects that are going to squirt out of the XBone that couldn't be done bigger and better on the PS4. In fact, the APU in the XBone is earlier generation than what is in the PS4 since it doesn't support hUMA operations as well.

This wasn't just a bad thread to make, it was catastrophically flawed.