WOW! Journey Has Just Been Nominated... For A Grammy!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#-49 Posted by funsohng (28994 posts) -
Dragon Age Origins was a colossal borejg4xchamp
You should use free love mod.
#-48 Posted by texasgoldrush (9562 posts) -

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

One of the thing Bioware got right? Nevermind the cliched storyline that proves those that criticize Bioware for recycling its plots correct, the recycled character archtypes, the broken combat system far worse than FFXII, the game it rips off, and the lack of focus of the story and the characters lack of importance outside Allistair. And if DAIII goes back to cliche, I will call it out. I won't be defending that. In fact, the game it rips off for its gameplay was notable for breaking much of the FF cliche, while DAO sticks with Bioware cliche.Sagem28

134220660978.jpg

Christ, where do I even begin.

It rips off FFXII ? That's a new one. How did you ever come to this assumption ?

As for the characters, your acting like Mass Effect didn't do the exact same thing. None of the characters are important, accept maybe Liara with her massive plot armor.

Also, ancient space squids trying to destroy our galaxy isn't exactly the pinnacle of originality. Nevermind the shameless Deus Ex rip off in the ending.

The entire combat system runs on the FFXII Gambit system.....in fact, its exactly alike.   In ME3, every character has a role, which is a step up from the first two games. Nevermind that yes, ME series, is cliched in parts, the sum of it is more unique and original. DAO cannot say the same.
#-47 Posted by jg4xchamp (51430 posts) -

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Dragon Age Origins was a colossal borefunsohng

None of which changes my disdain for how absolutely uninspired it is on a narrative level nor does it replace a bugaboo Bioware has been dealing with all their games this gen(and I'm sure it would show up in their older games if I went through the trouble of replaying them) the level/encounter design. If it's not being silly like lining up a bunch of archers in a row perfectly for me to wipe the floor with them(thus erasing the strategy side of the battle system, because if their current battle system can't satisfy on a visceral level it needs to on a tactical level) it does things like show how the enemies are essentially the same sh1t, but different color. It's a mindless number crunching slog through one poorly out dungeon to another.

If I enjoyed that sh1t I would willingly accept Diablo, but I don't. Origins could be argued as "more of a RPG" than the Mass Effect series, but holy f*ck do I not care. The Mass Effect bores me way less even if I don't care for how the gameplay is handled in that series either.

#-46 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

The entire combat system runs on the FFXII Gambit system.....in fact, its exactly alike.   In ME3, every character has a role, which is a step up from the first two games. Nevermind that yes, ME series, is cliched in parts, the sum of it is more unique and original. DAO cannot say the same.texasgoldrush

Oh come on, Texas.

So just because they use a similar combat system it's a rip off. That's pretty far fetched, even for you.
How else are you gonna manage your team in real time combat ? Btw, many CPRG's did the same thing.

The characters in ME3 matter about as much as they do in DAO -> Not at all.
With the exception of Alistair and Liara.

#-45 Posted by funsohng (28994 posts) -

[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Dragon Age Origins was a colossal borejg4xchamp

None of which changes my disdain for how absolutely uninspired it is on a narrative level nor does it replace a bugaboo Bioware has been dealing with all their games this gen(and I'm sure it would show up in their older games if I went through the trouble of replaying them) the level/encounter design. If it's not being silly like lining up a bunch of archers in a row perfectly for me to wipe the floor with them(thus erasing the strategy side of the battle system, because if their current battle system can't satisfy on a visceral level it needs to on a tactical level) it does things like show how the enemies are essentially the same sh1t, but different color. It's a mindless number crunching slog through one poorly out dungeon to another.

If I enjoyed that sh1t I would willingly accept Diablo, but I don't. Origins could be argued as "more of a RPG" than the Mass Effect series, but holy f*ck do I not care. The Mass Effect bores me way less even if I don't care for how the gameplay is handled in that series either.

wall of text, tl;dr, so I'm just gonna tell you what free love mod does. Basically, if you are female, you get to impregnate Morrigan nonetheless at the end. Best glitch ever.
#-44 Posted by jg4xchamp (51430 posts) -
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

[QUOTE="funsohng"] You should use free love mod.funsohng

wall of text, tl;dr, so I'm just gonna tell you what free love mod does. Basically, if you are female, you get to impregnate Morrigan nonetheless at the end. Best glitch ever.

Oh well...when you put it that way lol
#-43 Posted by drinkerofjuice (3631 posts) -
Dragon Age Origins was a colossal borejg4xchamp
There was some fun to be had with the combat. What I had trouble with overall was immersing myself in what was an extremely dull, highly derivative setting.
#-42 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

wall of text, tl;dr, so I'm just gonna tell you what free love mod does. Basically, if you are female, you get to impregnate Morrigan nonetheless at the end. Best glitch ever.funsohng

Downloading.

#-41 Posted by funsohng (28994 posts) -
[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] None of which changes my disdain for how absolutely uninspired it is on a narrative level nor does it replace a bugaboo Bioware has been dealing with all their games this gen(and I'm sure it would show up in their older games if I went through the trouble of replaying them) the level/encounter design. If it's not being silly like lining up a bunch of archers in a row perfectly for me to wipe the floor with them(thus erasing the strategy side of the battle system, because if their current battle system can't satisfy on a visceral level it needs to on a tactical level) it does things like show how the enemies are essentially the same sh1t, but different color. It's a mindless number crunching slog through one poorly out dungeon to another.

If I enjoyed that sh1t I would willingly accept Diablo, but I don't. Origins could be argued as "more of a RPG" than the Mass Effect series, but holy f*ck do I not care. The Mass Effect bores me way less even if I don't care for how the gameplay is handled in that series either.jg4xchamp

Oh well...when you put it that way lol

I know, right? It's probably going to fvck up my DA3 playthrough if I import the save file, but still.
#-40 Posted by texasgoldrush (9562 posts) -

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

The entire combat system runs on the FFXII Gambit system.....in fact, its exactly alike.   In ME3, every character has a role, which is a step up from the first two games. Nevermind that yes, ME series, is cliched in parts, the sum of it is more unique and original. DAO cannot say the same.Sagem28

Oh come on, Texas.

So just because they use a similar combat system it's a rip off. That's pretty far fetched, even for you.
How else are you gonna manage your team in real time combat ? Btw, many CPRG's did the same thing.

The characters in ME3 matter about as much as they do in DAO -> Not at all.
With the exception of Alistair and Liara.

Yet those CRPGs didn't rip off another game....please, the evidence is clear. Bioware even said they were influenced by FFXII's combat system. And i seems you haven't played ME3, because if you did, you would know that everyone plays a role. Hell, EDI is the reason why the Normandy isn't blasted by Reapers or that you don't get vented out of the hanger at Cerberus HQ. In fact, EDI is just as important as Liara is. Nevermind missions forcing you to use certain party members. Nevermind also that noncombat crewmates play a major role like Traynor.
#-39 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

Yet those CRPGs didn't rip off another game....please, the evidence is clear.

No it's not.

Bioware even said they were influenced by FFXII's combat system

So ? That still doesn't mean it's a rip off. These games are nothing alike.

And i seems you haven't played ME3, because if you did, you would know that everyone plays a role. Hell, EDI is the reason why the Normandy isn't blasted by Reapers or that you don't get vented out of the hanger at Cerberus HQ. In fact, EDI is just as important as Liara is. Nevermind missions forcing you to use certain party members. Nevermind also that noncombat crewmates play a major role like Traynor.

I've played Mass Effect 3. The only thing important about EDI was her major camel toe.
And Traynor ? Well she was a lesbian, so by fun's law she must be important.

texasgoldrush

#-38 Posted by texasgoldrush (9562 posts) -

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

Yet those CRPGs didn't rip off another game....please, the evidence is clear.

No it's not.

Bioware even said they were influenced by FFXII's combat system

So ? That still doesn't mean it's a rip off. These games are nothing alike.

And i seems you haven't played ME3, because if you did, you would know that everyone plays a role. Hell, EDI is the reason why the Normandy isn't blasted by Reapers or that you don't get vented out of the hanger at Cerberus HQ. In fact, EDI is just as important as Liara is. Nevermind missions forcing you to use certain party members. Nevermind also that noncombat crewmates play a major role like Traynor.

I've played Mass Effect 3. The only thing important about EDI was her major camel toe.
And Traynor ? Well she was a lesbian, so by fun's law she must be important.

Sagem28

Wow, you are a moron. If you played ME3, you would know that not only Traynor's comm expertise saves the Grissom Academy students but she tracks Kai Leng to Sanctuary after Thessia, basically helping lead to victory. And playthrough Cerberus HQ again, EDI tells you why she is important. Hell, if it wasn't for James, the Mars mission would be a failure. Nevermind the whole Udina plot involving Ash or Kaiden...wow, you are ignorant. The combat system in DAO and FFXII are pretty much very alike, especially the console versions....except that FFXII has better tactical options, more enemy variety, more depth, and is less broken.
#-37 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

Wow, you are a moron.

No u

texasgoldrush

We're going in circles here, and frankly arguing with you is starting to cost me brain cells.

Can we just agree that Bioware can't make a decent plot to save their lives, and their characters are about as generic as a 90ties flick action hero ?

#-36 Posted by whiskeystrike (12096 posts) -

Having never played the game, I'm listening to the soundtrack and it's quite good. I don't feel motivated to change my life or anything but I'm enjoying it.

And yes FFXII is much better than DAO

#-35 Posted by texasgoldrush (9562 posts) -

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

Wow, you are a moron.

No u

Sagem28

We're going in circles here, and frankly arguing with you is starting to cost me brain cells.

Can we just agree that Bioware can't make a decent plot to save their lives, and their characters are about as generic as a 90ties flick action hero ?

ummmm...Baldur's Gate II And their characters are the best in the industry this gen, not counting smaller developers. But of all the big boys, they have everyone beat when it comes to characterization. The ME characters gave the series its greatness.
#-34 Posted by texasgoldrush (9562 posts) -

Having never played the game, I'm listening to the soundtrack and it's quite good. I don't feel motivated to change my life or anything but I'm enjoying it.

whiskeystrike
This..... The idiot fan reaction and the development hell of FFXII pretty much wrecked the series. FFXII was vastly underrated.
#-33 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

Wow, you are a moron.

No u

texasgoldrush

ummmm...Baldur's Gate II And their characters are the best in the industry this gen, not counting smaller developers. But of all the big boys, they have everyone beat when it comes to characterization. The ME characters gave the series its greatness.

A twelve year old game.
You are really reaching, uh ?

#-32 Posted by whiskeystrike (12096 posts) -
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

This..... The idiot fan reaction and the development hell of FFXII pretty much wrecked the series. FFXII was vastly underrated.

I think it's the best of the series. Breaks free from the genre quite well. I remember at school, all the FF fans hated it, saying it wasn't really a true Final Fantasy game but all the people who genuiely enjoyed good games thought it was great.
#-31 Posted by KungfuKitten (21543 posts) -

First I thought for a grand. That would be cool. Then a granny. But it's a grammy. I looked it up. It's another one of those social games people play to look all important. I shouldn't have paid attention to this.

#-30 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
Lol @ lemmings getting all butthurt and damage controlling here. Anyways Journey deserves it. It showed videogames can be art too.
#-29 Posted by BrunoBRS (73366 posts) -
i think some people here aren't getting the real implications of this nomination. No, it likely won't win, given the strong competition, but the mere fact that it's been nominated that matters. Think about it. A videogame, formerly an activity considered exclusive to sweaty, socially inept fat kids (and it's still considered so by a few), is being put on equal footing to Hans Zimmer to win a famous, well respected international art award. And it's not just any game. It's a highly praised, well received game from this very year. Journey's nomination is a sign of the industry's growth, not just monetarily, but as a respected mainstream entertainment medium and, why not, as a recognized art form.
#-28 Posted by ms555 (2660 posts) -
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i think some people here aren't getting the real implications of this nomination. No, it likely won't win, given the strong competition, but the mere fact that it's been nominated that matters. Think about it. A videogame, formerly an activity considered exclusive to sweaty, socially inept fat kids (and it's still considered so by a few), is being put on equal footing to Hans Zimmer to win a famous, well respected international art award. And it's not just any game. It's a highly praised, well received game from this very year. Journey's nomination is a sign of the industry's growth, not just monetarily, but as a respected mainstream entertainment medium and, why not, as a recognized art form.

Perfectly stated
#-27 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

i think some people here aren't getting the real implications of this nomination. No, it likely won't win, given the strong competition, but the mere fact that it's been nominated that matters. Think about it. A videogame, formerly an activity considered exclusive to sweaty, socially inept fat kids (and it's still considered so by a few), is being put on equal footing to Hans Zimmer to win a famous, well respected international art award. And it's not just any game. It's a highly praised, well received game from this very year. Journey's nomination is a sign of the industry's growth, not just monetarily, but as a respected mainstream entertainment medium and, why not, as a recognized art form.BrunoBRS

Well said

Great post.

#-26 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

One of the thing Bioware got right? Nevermind the cliched storyline that proves those that criticize Bioware for recycling its plots correct, the recycled character archtypes, the broken combat system far worse than FFXII, the game it rips off, and the lack of focus of the story and the characters lack of importance outside Allistair. And if DAIII goes back to cliche, I will call it out. I won't be defending that. In fact, the game it rips off for its gameplay was notable for breaking much of the FF cliche, while DAO sticks with Bioware cliche.texasgoldrush

Christ, where do I even begin.

It rips off FFXII ? That's a new one. How did you ever come to this assumption ?

As for the characters, your acting like Mass Effect didn't do the exact same thing. None of the characters are important, accept maybe Liara with her massive plot armor.

Also, ancient space squids trying to destroy our galaxy isn't exactly the pinnacle of originality. Nevermind the shameless Deus Ex rip off in the ending.

The entire combat system runs on the FFXII Gambit system.....in fact, its exactly alike. In ME3, every character has a role, which is a step up from the first two games. Nevermind that yes, ME series, is cliched in parts, the sum of it is more unique and original. DAO cannot say the same.

How was James Vega important? Oh wait I just remembered in the beginning he stops that robot lady. Someone else could've done that though. Or Garrus? I know he was a commander or something but he just leaves to help you. The other characters were definitely important to the plot though.

#-25 Posted by Heil68 (48341 posts) -

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

Hotline Miami's OST >>>>> this trash

BPoole96

Meta states otherwise

Ask me if I care

Do you care? OT, Thank you Sony for giving us such a game and certainly deserving of all the awards, accolades and HYPE.
#-24 Posted by Heil68 (48341 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i think some people here aren't getting the real implications of this nomination. No, it likely won't win, given the strong competition, but the mere fact that it's been nominated that matters. Think about it. A videogame, formerly an activity considered exclusive to sweaty, socially inept fat kids (and it's still considered so by a few), is being put on equal footing to Hans Zimmer to win a famous, well respected international art award. And it's not just any game. It's a highly praised, well received game from this very year. Journey's nomination is a sign of the industry's growth, not just monetarily, but as a respected mainstream entertainment medium and, why not, as a recognized art form.Sagem28

Well said

Great post.

Indeed.
#-23 Posted by hippiesanta (10012 posts) -
where's halo4 soundtrack? lol
#-22 Posted by themajormayor (24464 posts) -

Hans Zimmer did the Dark Knight Rises Soundtrack which is far better. After the movie I immediately bought the OST since it was so good. Ex. The Fire Rises

BPoole96
lol what a joke
#-21 Posted by G-Lord (2134 posts) -

It seems like people forgot that gaming has a grammy already:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/14/civilization-4-grammy-baba-yetu/

#-20 Posted by BrunoBRS (73366 posts) -
what the hell is with all the bioware games discussion? How did it even show up in this thread?
#-19 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

what the hell is with all the bioware games discussion? How did it even show up in this thread?BrunoBRS

Texasgoldrush happened.

#-18 Posted by Heil68 (48341 posts) -
what the hell is with all the bioware games discussion? How did it even show up in this thread?BrunoBRS
 Any real doubt?
#-17 Posted by BrunoBRS (73366 posts) -

It seems like people forgot that gaming has a grammy already:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/14/civilization-4-grammy-baba-yetu/

G-Lord
I doubt they did, since it's the first thing mentioned in the OP. Civ IV was the first step, but we shouldn't treat it as the only one that matters. And not to dismiss it, but civ IV was a pretty old game by the time it won the grammy (civ V was already out). Journey is a 2012 game running for the 2012 award. I think the fact that the game was relevant within the year of release speaks volumes for the growth of the industry.
#-16 Posted by Quaker-w00ts (1631 posts) -

BPoole96

two different kinds of music genre....

your comment is ilrelevant.

#-15 Posted by HavocV3 (7955 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

nervmeister

That's all I heard from BPoole really.

that picture sums up most of your posts too?

#-14 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28343 posts) -

Hans Zimmer did the Dark Knight Rises Soundtrack which is far better. After the movie I immediately bought the OST since it was so good. Ex. The Fire Rises

BPoole96

You've got to be joking. The last time I heard a score as overbearing as this was when I was watching LOST.

#-13 Posted by BPoole96 (22814 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

Quaker-w00ts

Doesn't matter, music is music.
#-12 Posted by BPoole96 (22814 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

sammyjenkis898

You've got to be joking. The last time I heard a score as overbearing as this was when I was watching LOST.

It goes great with the movie. Listen to the rest of the OST, it's good stuff.
#-11 Posted by Quaker-w00ts (1631 posts) -

[QUOTE="Quaker-w00ts"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

it matters, What part of the music do you like in HL:M and dislike about Journey's?

maybe you like the progressive nature of HL:M and dislike the neoclassicalism attempt by Journey.

either why it's your opinion and if the genres were even relatable then there be an argument here but alas its down to taste, which I approve of both:P

#-10 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28343 posts) -
[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

Once was enough. It was so hit-over-your-head; "SOMETHING BIG IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN. LOUD NOISES!" It was awful.
#-9 Posted by jessejay420 (4091 posts) -
That is indeed Awesome! Congrats on the Nomination :cool: i hope Journey wins.
#-8 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25159 posts) -
For soundtrack that is good.
#-7 Posted by BPoole96 (22814 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="Quaker-w00ts"]

Quaker-w00ts

it matters, What part of the music do you like in HL:M and dislike about Journey's?

maybe you like the progressive nature of HL:M and dislike the neoclassicalism attempt by Journey.

either why it's your opinion and if the genres were even relatable then there be an argument here but alas its down to taste, which I approve of both:P

Not sure how to articulate what I dislike about Journey's score. I am actualy somewhat well versed in classical music since I took some classical music courses in college as an elective. Something about Journey's just doesn't hit sit well with me. This is one of my favorite pieces of classical music

#-6 Posted by BPoole96 (22814 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"] You've got to be joking. The last time I heard a score as overbearing as this was when I was watching LOST.

sammyjenkis898

Once was enough. It was so hit-over-your-head; "SOMETHING BIG IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN. LOUD NOISES!" It was awful.

That is exactly the point of the song. It plays during an intense scene in the movie. It can convey a message with no words.

#-5 Posted by Obviously_Right (5324 posts) -

Wow, so much jelly.

Journey has the best soundtrack of anything released this year, deal with it.

#-4 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28343 posts) -

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"][QUOTE="BPoole96"] It goes great with the movie. Listen to the rest of the OST, it's good stuff.BPoole96

That is exactly the point of the song. It plays during an intense scene in the movie. It can convey a message with no words.

Let the shoddy action speak for itself.
#-3 Posted by Cheleman (7891 posts) -

Thank you, Sony.

#-2 Posted by BPoole96 (22814 posts) -
[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"] Once was enough. It was so hit-over-your-head; "SOMETHING BIG IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN. LOUD NOISES!" It was awful.sammyjenkis898

Proper music choice can greatly enhance the quality of an action scene. In The Dark Knight Rises case, it combined excellent action with an outstanding score, making it the one of the best action films this year.
#-1 Posted by jsmoke03 (13349 posts) -

good job on getting nominated....considering its a psn title 2....

#0 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28343 posts) -
[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

Proper music choice can greatly enhance the quality of an action scene. In The Dark Knight Rises case, it combined excellent action with an outstanding score, making it the one of the best action films this year.

Not even close. It combined an over-bearing score with decently shot action. Blaring the music to nearly burst your ear drums doesn't make the action more coherent.