Would you kickstart a dreamcast 2?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Would you kickstart a dreamcast 2? (73 votes)

Yes I would support them 26%
No 66%
Other 8%

My friends: The Dreamcast, while ultimately assassinated by PlayStation, is very much considered one of the best consoles ever made. Several games have become cult classics and arguably, the last era of great sonic titles.

Given the popularity of kickstarter and consoles such as "Ouya" as well as technology such as "Oculus Rift", Sega could (theoretically) could request funding on 200 million dollars, and probably get it.

The qeastion, dare I ask it would you fund it? And if so, why?

Personally, I thought I the Game Gear was good as well, it had a tv tuner so you can watch tv.

The gameboy had a little shit screen that didn't even glow up on the dark.

• 
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19514 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@Jag85 said:

The Neon 250 does not represent even a fraction of the Dreamcast's power. The Neon 250's PowerVR2 graphics chip was just a single component of the Dreamcast's graphics hardware. Much of the Dreamcast's power came from its Hitachi SH-4 CPU, which had a powerful 128-bit vector processing unit specifically designed for handling graphics (mainly lighting and geometry), with a floating-point performance of 1.4 GFLOPS, more than what any PC could do at the time. It was the PowerVR2 + Hitachi SH-4 combo that made the Dreamcast more powerful than any PC during 1998-1999.

The Dreamcast was the closest thing to a high-end arcade machine for homes in the late '90s, with its Naomi arcade counterpart (basically a Dreamcast with twice the RAM and faster ROM cartridge storage) being far more expensive than even the most expensive high-end PC at the time. In other words, the Dreamcast hardware was being sold at a huge loss, while the software wasn't selling enough to make up for it (not helped by the fact that you could play pirated software on an unmodded Dreamcast).

Then no one really took advantage of that power, from what I recall of the games.

Not sure what you mean. Dreamcast games like The House of the Dead 2, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive 2, Space Channel 5, F355 Challenge and Shenmue had the most cutting-edge graphics seen on a home system in the late '90s, the closest any home system had ever come to arcade-quality 3D graphics up until then. But if you mean games that pushed the Dreamcast the furthest, then Shenmue II probably pushed it the furthest in 2001, but it could have been pushed even further if it didn't die so soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@silkylove said:

Loved the Dreamcast, but no. Market can't bare 4 consoles, and Microsoft took their spot.

.. Sure it can.. We really have two consoles in the market place.. Nintendo Wii-U which isn't doing too hot.. And XboxonePS4 A, and XboxonePS4 B... Basically the same consoles sharing the majority of limited features (that both companies cut from last gen) and multi-plats..

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#53 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

Nope if anything Nintendo wiiu deserves more sales before Sega deserves another chance in the console market! With more failures,then Nintendo which I would say Nintendo only had one commercial failure vs segas. Four!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

No. I remember when the OUYA was on kickstarter and people laughed at me for criticising it, yet everything I said about it turned out to be true.

The thing about Kickstarter is that you will never get that much money on it. It's great for small teams or individuals, but to make something as big as a console just simply can't be done. The most backed Kickstarter project is a watch that got $18 million. That sounds like a lot to us, but when you compare that to the budgets of the PS4, Xbox One or WiiU, it's not even a drop in the ocean.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#55  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@toast_burner said:

No. I remember when the OUYA was on kickstarter and people laughed at me for criticising it, yet everything I said about it turned out to be true.

The thing about Kickstarter is that you will never get that much money on it. It's great for small teams or individuals, but to make something as big as a console just simply can't be done. The most backed Kickstarter project is a watch that got $18 million.That sounds like a lot to us, but when you compare that to the budgets of the PS4, Xbox One or WiiU, it's not even a drop in the ocean.

Star Citizen?

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

You're allowed your opinion but I still blame Xbox for the death of Dreamcast. That said, I wouldn't support it, not anymore. Sega has gone so far downhill in quality that I don't think they would even know what to do with a system of their own.

The Sega we loved from yesteryear is dead. I've come to terms with it and placed some flowers at the foot of their tomb stone.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#57 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

I would gladly support a dream cast 2, but the name doesn't matter, if it actually ran games at 1080p and 60fps.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Jag85

@emgesp said:

The Dreamcast 2 already exists, it is called the original Xbox. Sega actually wanted to make a deal with Microsoft that would have made it possible for the Xbox to be able to play Dreamcast games, but because of Sega's internet connectivity issues it couldn't be done. The Dreamcast is where Microsoft first step their toes in the console business having built a custom OS for the Dreamcast. They took what they learned from working on the Dreamcast and decided to just make their own console. The Dreamcast DNA still lives on to this day in the XB1.

Yeah, the Xbox was originally intended to be backwards compatible with Dreamcast games. There were talks between Bill Gates and Sega boss Isao Okawa about this feature. However, Sega insisted the Xbox supports the online features of Dreamcast games, whereas Microsoft insisted their online features be left out, so the deal fell through. In addition, Xbox Live was clearly the successor to SegaNet, while the Xbox controller was clearly the successor to the Dreamcast controller. The Xbox was the successor to the Dreamcast in almost every way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@toast_burner said:

The thing about Kickstarter is that you will never get that much money on it. It's great for small teams or individuals, but to make something as big as a console just simply can't be done. The most backed Kickstarter project is a watch that got $18 million.That sounds like a lot to us, but when you compare that to the budgets of the PS4, Xbox One or WiiU, it's not even a drop in the ocean.

Star Citizen?

That got 2 million on Kickstarter. It made a lot more since then through sales.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Jag85

@mariokart64fan said:

Nope if anything Nintendo wiiu deserves more sales before Sega deserves another chance in the console market! With more failures,then Nintendo which I would say Nintendo only had one commercial failure vs segas. Four!

I can think of at least three commercial hardware failures that Nintendo has had in video gaming: the Radar Scope arcade game, the Virtual Boy handheld, and the Wii U console.

While there's no doubt the Sega CD, 32X and Dreamcast were commercial failures, the same cannot be said for the Saturn, which was a failure in the West but at the same time Sega's biggest console success in Japan.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

Kickstarting a dreamcast console is basically kicksta rting exclusivity of sega games. Why would anyone do that? Id rather kickstart a game than a console.

Heck id kickstart shenmue 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#62  Edited By deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

I'd support a Dreamcast 2 if SEGA wasn't run by angry Japanese businessmen making daft decisions all the time.

Extrodinare101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Extrodinare101
Member since 2015 • 324 Posts

So we can get sequels to great games like Sonic Boom?

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#64 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

I'd kickstart a purchase of Sega's IP's by Nintendo.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

If it wasn't just in name, but an actual SEGA console that had all of their old IP's being reborn with care, then hell yeah, I would. Man, I'd ditch today's Nintendo, MS, and Sony in a heartbeat, and would go back to just playing PC+SEGA like I did when I was a little kid if that ever happened. Too bad it won't though, plus SEGA of Japan is ran by idiots. :(

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@Chozofication said:

I know of 2 for sure - N64 and the Xbox 360.

I don't know enough about the dreamcast hardware but it wouldn't surprise me if it outpowered PC's when it first came out, I heard before that it did.

It wasn't until late 2006 that high end PC hardware (Nvidia 8800 series) consumed too much power for consoles to catch up with a reasonably cooled / sized console. Any time before then it was possible for console hardware to exceed PC (and they did) at the time of a console launch.

The 360 was not more powerful than PC hardware when it released. The GPU and CPU were superior to any PC chip in 2005. Perhaps the CPU (Xenon) wasn't the best architecturally, but the sheer power it had due to its 3 cores and 2 threads per core made it better than any PC cpu at the time for gaming. The GPU (Xenos) had a unified shader architecture, the first of its kind which was huge. You may find out that top of the line gpu's at the time were outperforming it in certain games, but that's because games weren't being made with unified architecture in mind yet. 360 was a beast, shame MS built it like shit as we know.

EDIT: I just looked up Intel's releases for 1996 and they brought out a 200MHz Pentium around the same time the N64 released. The N64's CPU core clock was 93.75 MHz.

Quick google searches are not going to teach you the differences between hardware. There's no comparing clocks or anything else between different architectures, though that pentium was a faster cpu, clock for clock the N64 had a better one. On the graphics side, N64 could do texture filtering and many other techniques PC cards couldn't at the time, and had some powerful compute units in there as well, and a seperate chip for micro code that was insanely powerful. You could do dynamic lighting on N64.

It wasn't an all powerful machine and had some flaws, but it could just do a lot more than a PC from 96.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#67 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@Jag85 said:

@emgesp said:

The Dreamcast 2 already exists, it is called the original Xbox. Sega actually wanted to make a deal with Microsoft that would have made it possible for the Xbox to be able to play Dreamcast games, but because of Sega's internet connectivity issues it couldn't be done. The Dreamcast is where Microsoft first step their toes in the console business having built a custom OS for the Dreamcast. They took what they learned from working on the Dreamcast and decided to just make their own console. The Dreamcast DNA still lives on to this day in the XB1.

Yeah, the Xbox was originally intended to be backwards compatible with Dreamcast games. There were talks between Bill Gates and Sega boss Isao Okawa about this feature. However, Sega insisted the Xbox supports the online features of Dreamcast games, whereas Microsoft insisted their online features be left out, so the deal fell through. In addition, Xbox Live was clearly the successor to SegaNet, while the Xbox controller was clearly the successor to the Dreamcast controller. The Xbox was the successor to the Dreamcast in almost every way.

Man, that would've been incredible. If that happened and MS didn't get screwed over by Nvidia, that console could've been the best ever made. I still love it though, amazing console.

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#68 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:

@silkylove said:

Loved the Dreamcast, but no. Market can't bare 4 consoles, and Microsoft took their spot.

.. Sure it can.. We really have two consoles in the market place.. Nintendo Wii-U which isn't doing too hot.. And XboxonePS4 A, and XboxonePS4 B... Basically the same consoles sharing the majority of limited features (that both companies cut from last gen) and multi-plats..

Console gaming is in decline. Even at its height in the 16 bit era there were only three real competitors and one of the three (TurboGrafx 16) didn't make it. Neo Geo could be considered a 4th, but it was always a niche system/arcade system. Fast forward to today when you have major competition from smartphones and tablets, arcades don't exist, and handheld gaming is much more of a force. As for Xbone and PS4 being the same console. The same could be said for SNES and Genesis. They shared a ton of multiplats, but the exclusives were what mattered.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#69 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I would not back a Dreamcast 2. It would still be run by Sega and Sega has shown time and again that they can't manage their way out of a paper bag. We the people could fund it, fund the games, and fund the advertising, and Sega would still find a way to destroy it within the span of a year.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#70  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

@Telekill said:

You're allowed your opinion but I still blame Xbox for the death of Dreamcast. That said, I wouldn't support it, not anymore. Sega has gone so far downhill in quality that I don't think they would even know what to do with a system of their own.

The Sega we loved from yesteryear is dead. I've come to terms with it and placed some flowers at the foot of their tomb stone.

To be fair to Sega, they have been publishing Total War, probably the most constantly highest rated annual series (or most platforms, not just pc) as well as more recently picked up Relic, arguably the best developer of real time strategy games around.

While it may be a different direction, it's not necessarily a bad one.