Would you buy Quake 5 if it was multiplayer only?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 6 months, 6 days ago

Poll: Would you buy Quake 5 if it was multiplayer only? (33 votes)

Yes 70%
No 24%

Many older gamers such as myself, who grew up on skill based games enjoyed hundreds of hours of Quake 3. Quake 4, will an acceptable single player title... had a dismal multiplayer.

Then. my freinds. Enemy Terriroy: Quake Wars was released. While generally speaking, it was battlefield inspired and had little to nothing to do with Quake 3's gameplay style, it was generally, a great multiplayer title with some interesting ideas (unlike Titanfalls fake media hype). It sadly flopped, quickly becoming a graveyatd.

Would you buy (and look forward too) a Quake 5: Arena?

(For the younger console users let me explain) Quake 3 was an old pc game that primarily relied on twitch based skill, This concept of twitch based skill was very popular pre Halo and Modern Warfare. It was a time when people use 56k to play at 150 ping with a "mouse" and "keyboard".

#1 Edited by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

Wouldn't buy Quake at all.

#2 Posted by glez13 (8548 posts) -
#3 Posted by Jankarcop (8893 posts) -

Q3a was MP only, and it to this day has a higher skillcap and competitive factor than ANYTHING released on consoles.

An amazing factoid if you will.

#4 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9376 posts) -

Quake tournaments are insane, you have to be on crack just to keep up.

I could never play those games.

#5 Posted by lostrib (32977 posts) -

I was always more of an Unreal Tournament fan, but if a new UT4 on the new unreal engine I would definitely get it. Although I would prefer an offline bot mode just for fun

#6 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1364 posts) -

Another troll thread by the worst TC on this forum.

#7 Posted by lostrib (32977 posts) -

Quake tournaments are insane, you have to be on crack just to keep up.

I could never play those games.

and it's not just their reaction times, they also have to know where all the items are and their timings

#8 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6553 posts) -
#9 Posted by Jankarcop (8893 posts) -

Yes I would, but only if it was a proper arena shooter and not some bullshit with vehicles and classes.

#10 Posted by lostrib (32977 posts) -

Yes I would, but only if it was a proper arena shooter and not some bullshit with vehicles and classes.

didn't ut2004 have vehicles?

#11 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23410 posts) -

Duh

Might not buy it though if explosive shitlord weapons have nuke sized radius explosions.

Weapon balance of qlive is nice with lg and rail, just remove rockets please.

#12 Posted by jg4xchamp (46986 posts) -

Quake or Unreal.

Sure. If the MP is fantastic you'll get your money's worth on just how much you can play those type of games. I sunk so many hours into 2k4.

#13 Posted by flashn00b (2881 posts) -

Probably not, since we need a singleplayer game that stays true to Quake 1's twitch shooting and weapon balancing.

#14 Edited by MrYaotubo (2594 posts) -

Probably not, since we need a singleplayer game that stays true to Quake 1's twitch shooting and weapon balancing.

You do realise that the single player was an afterthought on Quake 1,it was pretty much the last thing to have been made and was somewhat shoehorned into the game,the focus of it and the main reason why it was made was because of the MP.

#15 Posted by Opus_Rea-333 (917 posts) -

Im not old but voted Yes.

#16 Posted by flashn00b (2881 posts) -

@MrYaotubo: The fact that Quake singleplayer is an afterthought makes the current state of Singleplayer FPS even more of a joke. We need more singleplayer games that follow Quake's format. As i have said time and again, we need a modern Doom clone.

#17 Posted by foxhound_fox (87331 posts) -

Am I the only one who remembers Enemy Territory: Quake Wars?

#18 Edited by WitIsWisdom (3647 posts) -

A game like Quake doesn't really need a campaign in my opinion. I would buy it either way. I feel the argument can go both ways.... A great single player game does not need a crappy MP and a great MP game does not need a crappy SP experience... all it does it take away from the production value and possibilities of the mode that is actually worth a damn to begin with.

#19 Posted by millerlight89 (18338 posts) -

Am I the only one who remembers Enemy Territory: Quake Wars?

I was addicted to that on pc

#20 Posted by PyratRum (561 posts) -

Hell yeah. Q3 was my first online game I ever played. Crazy to think I was pretty good on a damn 56k connection back then.

Deathmatch on Q3DM6 and Instagib on Q3DM17 was the fuckings tits.

#21 Posted by pelvist (4562 posts) -

If it was like Quake III Arena with an updated graphics engine I would not hesitate one bit.

#22 Edited by drekula2 (1898 posts) -

wouldn't buy quake period.

#23 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15885 posts) -

If it supported offline LAN-play? Sure.

#24 Posted by bobbetybob (19114 posts) -

I'll answer your question when you ask it like a normal person instead of yet again making a TC that acts as if you're a wise old sage and we're all 6 year olds.

#25 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2271 posts) -

Wouldn't buy Quake at all.

This

Plus i have no interest in mp

#26 Posted by 2mrw (4957 posts) -

Probably the only game that would buy if multiplayer only .... imgp Quake3 was the greatest online shooter ever.

#27 Posted by marcheegsr (2456 posts) -

@pelvist said:

If it was like Quake III Arena with an updated graphics engine I would not hesitate one bit.

#28 Posted by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (1934 posts) -

Personally I think it is time that we get the return of the arena FPS like Quake and Unreal Tournament. I think the real world FPS's like CoD and BF have run their course. Thankfully for Respawn, Titanfall more fits that bill than it does a CoD clone!!!

#29 Posted by Zassimick (6230 posts) -

No, I would not buy it. I don't play online competitive multiplayer.

#30 Posted by uninspiredcup (7537 posts) -

@2mrw said:

Probably the only game that would buy if multiplayer only .... imgp Quake3 was the greatest online shooter ever.

I agree my friend. It's a beautiful streamlined masterpiece and undoubtedly the greatest deathmatch title ever made.

#31 Posted by clone01 (24329 posts) -

Nope. I wouldn't buy quake either way.

#32 Posted by IgGy621985 (4598 posts) -

Q3 Arena was great, but I enjoyed Wolfenstein ET way more. So, I wouldn't buy a Quake title anymore.

#33 Posted by iwilson1296 (2214 posts) -

no

#34 Posted by treedoor (7478 posts) -

I'd buy Quake 5 if the developers behind the game were the same as Quake 3, and if it was a PC only title.

So I guess I wouldn't buy it.

#35 Posted by Ballroompirate (22198 posts) -
#36 Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

yes. I've been waiting on a good arena shooter much like quake, ut, or tfc which is partly why 2GD's "reborn" has been one of my most anticipated FPSs since last gen. I just hope it hasn't been scrapped :O

otherwise, I'll be sticking to quake, TFC, and hidden: source as I have been lol

#38 Edited by uninspiredcup (7537 posts) -

@treedoor said:

I'd buy Quake 5 if the developers behind the game were the same as Quake 3, and if it was a PC only title.

So I guess I wouldn't buy it.

Indeed. I suspect this probably is partly the reason it doesn't. Without radically changing the formula to killstreaks, unlocks, iron-sights. auto-aim and so fourth the streamlined inherent need for skill would not appeal to the large halo/call of duty demographic currently destroying the fps genre with nonsense.

On the other hand, Quake is still a well known brand name. Raping intellectual properties for a "modern" audience by dickheads in suits whenever humanly, remotely possible, is done regardless. Somewhat surprising. No doubt this title will exist in the future as a lobotomized bastard version.

#39 Edited by sukraj (21797 posts) -

wouldn't buy Quake

#40 Edited by AcidTango (500 posts) -

I would like a Quake game that was a sequel to Quake 1 because Quake II got Quake 4. So why can't the first one have a sequel for it as well?

#41 Posted by AzatiS (7101 posts) -

Yes i would , if it costed around 20-30$. At 60$ price tag though , no way