Would it be better for Nintendo to go 3rd party?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Yes, it's this thread again and it has my Seal Of Approval(tm)... :P

But on a serious note - do you think it would be better for Nintendo to go 3rd party?

I want to read some reasonable (I know, reason in SW, lol) arguments why you think so or why you don't think so.

Remember I'm not asking if it would be better for *you* but if it would be better for THEM.

Discuss.

#2 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22348 posts) -

Never gonna happen. At most they'll just go handheld only

#3 Posted by deomag4 (86 posts) -

It's hard to say. I mean they made a ton of money off their consoles last gen (the wii and ds). They are struggling this gen in the home console side, but i would say going 3rd party now would be jumping the gun a bit. I think if the console after the wii u flops as well (assuming they don't turn the wii u around), then i would definitely believe that its in their best interests to go 3rd party (except on handhelds until that market disappears). 

It'll be interesting what they do though.

#4 Posted by el3m2tigre (4232 posts) -

I'd love to play their games on my PC.

#5 Posted by PCgameruk (1425 posts) -

Mario is the only thing selling Nintendos gimmicks.

#6 Posted by 720OwnsPS4 (131 posts) -
Unless they start making games for people older than 5 then I wouldn't care.
#7 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26080 posts) -

*plays broken record* No, if it didn't help SEGA and Atari, it won't help Nintendo. Better to have them leave gaming, we don't need history repeated.

Never gonna happen. At most they'll just go handheld only

Shinobishyguy

But even that won't support them.

#8 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7463 posts) -
Handheld wise Nintendo are fine. Console-wise though it would be good. It took a gimmick to get them on top last generation and before that the only thing holding up their previous 2 consoles were 1st party titles. Wii-U looks to be a repeat of that. Nintendo however, won't go 3rd Party for anything though so, it's whatever.
#9 Posted by deomag4 (86 posts) -

Unless they start making games for people older than 5 then I wouldn't care.720OwnsPS4

never really understood this logic from people. Fact is the games are fun, and i don't know anyone who hasn't played wii sports. Who cares if it doesn't have mature themes, and some of their games do have more mature concepts in them. I like that nintendo has kept the style of their games at their roots, while still providing fun experiences. 

#10 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

Yes they don't make good consoles any more, should go 3rd party, and spend more money on making games for pc and next gen conssoles.

#11 Posted by PCgameruk (1425 posts) -

Yes they don't make good consoles any more, should go 3rd party, and spend more money on making games for pc and next gen conssoles.

ultimate-k
Nintendo could just legalize there own emulator for PC
#12 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3727 posts) -

I feel like some of the people on here have the worst businessmen ever.

Go 3rd party when the company makes more than any other company in the industry?

You're stupid.

#13 Posted by BrunoBRS (73259 posts) -
i honestly don't think the videogames industry would be able to withstand not having nintendo around the hardware market.
#14 Posted by BrunoBRS (73259 posts) -
[QUOTE="ultimate-k"]

PCgameruk
Nintendo could just legalize there own emulator for PC

effectively killing system sales. genius. why don't they publish bayo2 on the other systems as well? i mean, they'll make money from the copies sold, right?
#15 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Go 3rd party when the company makes more than any other company in the industry?

You're stupid.

MakeMeaSammitch

They do?

Sure, Wii and DS were a success, but I think WiiU and 3DS won't repeat that success.

And as it stands now, the U is stuggling in sales-terms. (or so everyone is saying)

#16 Posted by HaRmLeSS_RaGe (1270 posts) -

Not really. Nintendo games have something special that you don't find anywhere else. If they went multi platform some of that magic would be lost. The Wii U will be profitable for Nintendo in the long run anyway even if it only sells in Gamecube numbers. It's almost a guarantee that some of this new gens best games will be on Wii U.

#17 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3727 posts) -

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

You're stupid.

nameless12345

They do?

Sure, Wii and DS were a success, but I think WiiU and 3DS won't repeat that success.

And as it stands now, the U is stuggling in sales-terms. (or so everyone is saying)

3ds is doing fine.

WiiU will be fine with a price cut.

Either way nintendo has always made a profit.

#18 Posted by Bigboi500 (29065 posts) -

It makes more sense for Sony to do that instead of Nintendo.

#19 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

You're stupid.

MakeMeaSammitch

They do?

3ds is doing fine.

WiiU will be fine with a price cut.

Either way nintendo has always made a profit.

Wii U is already selling for a loss, a price cut isnt happening, they may as well get as much money as they can from the few people that are actually interested.

#20 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5661 posts) -

No, it would be better if Nintendo went all out with a real console besides relying on gimmicks and their franchises to save them.

#21 Posted by Basinboy (10973 posts) -

No, whatever keeps Nintendo healthy is a good thing, whether that means producing hardware or not.  While I do wish I didn't have to buy their consoles to play their software, I'm not a big enough fan anyway to come back for serving after serving of Zelda, Metroid, & Mario.  Either way, it doesn't affect me, plus they are a great gateway company for a lot of young gamers out there.

#22 Posted by milannoir (1551 posts) -

The answer is clearly "no". Look at what happened to SEGA.

#23 Posted by IAmNot_fun (3336 posts) -
Not this f*cking thread again
#24 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Sh*t, what a creative thread.

#25 Posted by Obviously_Right (5091 posts) -

Why do you continue to fap relentlessly to this impossible dream?

#26 Posted by Planeforger (15458 posts) -

Imagine a console market that only contained Microsoft and Sony, only with lower standards, since there would be less competition, and less companies to steal innovative ideas from.

Yeah, no, that sounds godawful. The loss of any major player is a massive loss for the industry, and the loss of one who constantly produces some of the most polished and highest rated exclusives would be even worse. And no, they're not going to go multiplat without a major quality hit, so **** that idea.

Sounds like a terrible plan all-round.

#27 Posted by PAL360 (26629 posts) -

I can't answer that!

I'll not get the WiiU and i would love to play Nintendo games on my Xbox 3 or PS4. On the other hand, i don't want Nintendo to fail. Hmmm...

#28 Posted by MirkoS77 (6982 posts) -

[QUOTE="720OwnsPS4"]Unless they start making games for people older than 5 then I wouldn't care.deomag4

never really understood this logic from people. Fact is the games are fun, and i don't know anyone who hasn't played wii sports. Who cares if it doesn't have mature themes, and some of their games do have more mature concepts in them. I like that nintendo has kept the style of their games at their roots, while still providing fun experiences. 

It's not necessarily the presentation that's the problem (though I'd love to see a darker Zelda), it's that Nintendo insists on treating us like we're 5 year olds. Have you played Skyward Sword? It is downright insulting. They give the player no credit, even to the point of gimping their games to repeat and point out the most obvious sh!t over and over. Honestly, it's like Zelda is designed for the mentally handicapped. Funny how Mario and others are not but I can no longer play Zelda due to this. It's intolerable and I hope the next game has a "no handholding" mode.
#29 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24540 posts) -

Those gamers who want Nintendo to go 3rd Party won't buy their games anyway.

Plus, Nothing would really change except now you would be playing Zelda with a Dualshock or an Xbox controller, or a controller Nintendo provides for the game.

Other than that, what you see now is pretty much what you would see on another console.

#30 Posted by helwa1988 (2066 posts) -

Unless they start making games for people older than 5 then I wouldn't care.720OwnsPS4

i dont know any 5 year olds that can play mario galaxy.

#31 Posted by BrunoBRS (73259 posts) -

[QUOTE="720OwnsPS4"]Unless they start making games for people older than 5 then I wouldn't care.helwa1988

i dont know any 5 year olds that can play mario galaxy.

duh, that's because people 5 or older don't play silly nintendo games.
#33 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -
They would have a bigger user base to sell their games to. Plus the ones that only bought their console will now get one of the others and enjoy both Nintendo games and the ones on the console they choose along with 3rd party games like GTA, BioShock etc... (you can now add sports games to that).
#34 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -

Plus, Nothing would really change except now you would be playing Zelda with a Dualshock or an Xbox controller, or a controller Nintendo provides for the game.

Other than that, what you see now is pretty much what you would see on another console.

LegatoSkyheart
I disagree, there are tons of people that would buy their games that wouldn't buy their consoles for whatever reason.
#35 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24540 posts) -

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

fernandmondego_

I disagree, there are tons of people that would buy their games that wouldn't buy their consoles for whatever reason.

Sure, A Ton of Casuals would jump on the Downloads for sure, since a lot of them don't seem to know about Exclusives.

Some think you can get Uncharted, God of War or Little Big Planet on the 360 only to find out it's only on the PS3.

Remember someone wishing there were some N64 games on the Xbox Marketplace (not talking about Banjo or Perfect Dark, they probably wanted Mario 64 which is on the Wiishop, but who wants that? No Achievements or HD graphics no buy.)

But if you think the Quality of Nintendo's Games would just suddenly sky rocket because it's on a Sony system or Microsoft System is ludicrous.

If Donkey Kong Country Returns released on a PS3 or 360 it wouldn't be any better than what it is on the Wii, except it'll be in HD.

#36 Posted by KungfuKitten (20748 posts) -
[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

fernandmondego_

I don't believe that one bit. Even in such a case it would be just as advisable for microsoft and sony to go third party.
#37 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"][QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

LegatoSkyheart

Sure, A Ton of Casuals would jump on the Downloads for sure, since a lot of them don't seem to know about Exclusives.

Some think you can get Uncharted, God of War or Little Big Planet on the 360 only to find out it's only on the PS3.

Remember someone wishing there were some N64 games on the Xbox Marketplace (not talking about Banjo or Perfect Dark, they probably wanted Mario 64 which is on the Wiishop, but who wants that? No Achievements or HD graphics no buy.)

But if you think the Quality of Nintendo's Games would just suddenly sky rocket because it's on a Sony system or Microsoft System is ludicrous.

If Donkey Kong Country Returns released on a PS3 or 360 it wouldn't be any better than what it is on the Wii, except it'll be in HD.

I'm not saying they would be better, I'm saying if Galaxy 3 was to release on the 360 or PS3 there are 360/PS3 owners that would gladly buy it that are not willing to buy a WiiU for it.
#38 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -

KungfuKitten

I don't believe that one bit. Even in such a case it would be just as advisable for microsoft and sony to go third party.

They are not the ones struggling to move units and losing third party support.
#39 Posted by Heil68 (43178 posts) -
Seems so after the WiiU has flopped.
#40 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24540 posts) -

I disagree, there are tons of people that would buy their games that wouldn't buy their consoles for whatever reason.KungfuKitten

Any Developer would benifit going third Party, but then what would sell a system? That's what 1st party is all about.

I'm not saying they would be better, I'm saying if Galaxy 3 was to release on the 360 or PS3 there are 360/PS3 owners that would gladly buy it that are not willing to buy a WiiU for it.fernandmondego_

and of course the Common Crowd would, I'm talking about those who frequent it about it. They talk a big game about how they would gobble up the next Metroid or Zelda if it was on another Console, but in reality they wouldn't go for it.

#41 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -

[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"] I don't believe that one bit. Even in such a case it would be just as advisable for microsoft and sony to go third party.LegatoSkyheart

Any Developer would benifit going third Party, but then what would sell a system? That's what 1st party is all about.

I'm not saying they would be better, I'm saying if Galaxy 3 was to release on the 360 or PS3 there are 360/PS3 owners that would gladly buy it that are not willing to buy a WiiU for it.fernandmondego_

and of course the Common Crowd would, I'm talking about those who frequent it about it. They talk a big game about how they would gobble up the next Metroid or Zelda if it was on another Console, but in reality they wouldn't go for it.

I don't see why they wouldn't pick up the games either. Right now their options are to buy another console for those games, if N' goes 3rd party they would just have to buy the game for a system they already have.
#42 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24540 posts) -

I don't see why they wouldn't pick up the games either. Right now their options are to buy another console for those games, if N' goes 3rd party they would just have to buy the game for a system they already have.fernandmondego_

So you're saying it would benifit other console users if Nintendo would go thrid party?

Well duh, of course, Santa Monica and Naughty Dog would greatly benifit if God of War or The Last of Us was on the 360 or WiiU too you know.

That's the case of 1st party. In order to play 1st party you need to get the console it's on. That's what Exclusives do, sell a system.

#43 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"]I don't see why they wouldn't pick up the games either. Right now their options are to buy another console for those games, if N' goes 3rd party they would just have to buy the game for a system they already have.LegatoSkyheart

So you're saying it would benifit other console users if Nintendo would go thrid party?

Well duh, of course, Santa Monica and Naughty Dog would greatly benifit if God of War or The Last of Us was on the 360 or WiiU too you know.

That's the case of 1st party. In order to play 1st party you need to get the console it's on. That's what Exclusives do, sell a system.

I have no idea what your point is.
#44 Posted by KungfuKitten (20748 posts) -

[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="fernandmondego_"]I disagree, there are tons of people that would buy their games that wouldn't buy their consoles for whatever reason.fernandmondego_

Actually MS and Sony have been struggling for a while longer than Nintendo. Sony's Vita and MS's non existent handhelds are doing far worse than the 3DS. The DS basically murdered the PSP. The Wii U sold more than the PS4 and 720 so far. And the Wii did pretty well against the PS3 and 360.

#45 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24540 posts) -

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"]I don't see why they wouldn't pick up the games either. Right now their options are to buy another console for those games, if N' goes 3rd party they would just have to buy the game for a system they already have.fernandmondego_

I agree with you, but don't expect much.

#46 Posted by Blutenmonat (83 posts) -

With the way N is going after the casual, yes it would definitely be better for all of us. Not sure if it benefits N though.

#47 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"][QUOTE="KungfuKitten"] I don't believe that one bit. Even in such a case it would be just as advisable for microsoft and sony to go third party.KungfuKitten

Actually MS and Sony have been struggling for a while longer than Nintendo. Sony's Vita and MS's non existent handhelds are doing far worse than the 3DS. The DS basically murdered the PSP. The Wii U sold more than the PS4 and 720 so far. And the Wii did pretty well against the PS3 and 360.

LOL OK.
#48 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -

LegatoSkyheart

I agree with you, but don't expect much.

Of course, cause you had no point.
#49 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24540 posts) -

Of course, cause you had no point.fernandmondego_

whoohoo you "win" an internet arguement, you want a cookie?

#50 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"] Of course, cause you had no point.LegatoSkyheart

whoohoo you "win" an internet arguement, you want a cookie?

There was never an argument, you were just babbling on for no reason. The thread asked if Nintendo would benefit from going third party, I said they would and those with only a PS3/360 would pick up their games, than you just started spewing gibberish.