Would backwards compatibility get you to buy/trade-in the PS4/XB1?

Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (3370 posts) 5 months, 14 hours ago

Poll: Would backwards compatibility get you to buy/trade-in the PS4/XB1? (30 votes)

Yes, if it had 6th gen BC (PS2/XB original) 7%
Yes, if it had 7th gen BC (PS3/XB360) 47%
Yes, if it had BC for any of it's previous gens 17%
No, it wouldn't get me to buy/trade in 30%

Since i made a thread about if BC would b possible on the current gen consoles, and since everyone seems to want it so much, would you buy the other console or even trade your PS4, XB1 for teh other one if it was available?

REMEMBER, i'm refering to disc based BC, no streaming or buying again digital, just like on PC. Even if a small fee was added (most likely would)

#1 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (2647 posts) -

Totally waste. They making HD or FULL REMAKE which is better

#2 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

Not this again.

#3 Posted by PikachuDude860 (1019 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife: And also $60. Backwards compatibility is free. No need for them to good spend time and money "Remastering" recent games.

#4 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

Backwards compatibility is not free, you would end up paying more for the console.

#5 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25837 posts) -

If the PS4 allowed me to play all of my PS1, 2, and 3 games I would have been the first in line last year.

#6 Posted by bezza2011 (2662 posts) -

End of the Day Consoles are not PCs, it is not as easy as just sticking software in a PS4 OR AN XBOX ONE, and allow you to play games, it's very costly and takes room up in a machine, plus trying to configure the hardware and software of next gen consoles to allow games from older consoles is near impossible without it effecting cost to the consumer, decisions have to be made and the fact is, tech move on and so should you, if you want to play old games go buy a old console they don't cost that much and your'll get the best results.

#7 Posted by Dire_Weasel (16039 posts) -

If they patched in Xbox 360 compatibility into the Xbox One I would buy one immediately.

#8 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

@Dire_Weasel: If a pink unicorn that shoots rainbows out of it's arse existed I would buy one right away :).

#9 Edited by SakusEnvoy (4334 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart: me too. It would've been a day one launch day purchase, even if it was $500, if it had full PS1/2/3 compatibility.

Instead it has compatibility with absolutely nothing, and I have a much harder time justifying the purchase.

#10 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4652 posts) -

Nah, not for me. That ship has sailed imo. It's important during the early months but now we're coming towards the end of the first year when things improve, so it's becoming less important.

It's been a wasted first year imo. All the stuff we needed to keep us occupied or interested never came in time like backwards compatibility, full media functionality and so on.

Early adopting really is a chumps game imo (I'm guilty of this). Ports, remakes and multiplats, it's so fucking pathetic.

#11 Edited by lundy86_4 (43751 posts) -

Absolutely. Naturally, I expect to incur a cost, but I would happily pay for an all-in-one box.

#12 Edited by lamprey263 (24454 posts) -

no right away, but it would be worth a future consideration

#13 Posted by PapaTrop (1643 posts) -

As someone who hates holding onto a ton of consoles, backwards compatibility is huge to me. Bring my old games to the modern era. My TV doesn't even have s-video input, so I have an additional poop tv for older consoles....

And there are still so many games I've never played. Having access to past games is a great benefit to me.

#14 Posted by PsychoLemons (2123 posts) -

That means I would have to pay extra then...

#15 Edited by SolidTy (44488 posts) -

I wouldn't be interested as a collector. I buy my new machines to play new games pushing the new hardware. I have the old machines so that's what they are there for, that's my take anyways. In fact, I'm sick of the PS360 cross gen developed games (Destiny, Watch Dogs, Tomb Raider, etc) as well.

I don't like the idea of buying new hardware and wearing it out playing old games. Plus, it would cost money to implement disc based BC. I'd rather save that money.

Wasn't there a thread on this last week? Deja Vu hitting me...

@edwardecl said:

Not this again.

Okay, it's not just me.

#16 Posted by Chozofication (3094 posts) -

I still wouldn't buy the xbox one because that controller sucks. They ruined the almost perfect 360 controller... Never buying an Xbox one, honestly.

I'm going to buy a ps4 anyway but yeah BC would be nice for people with big ps3 collections, not that I care for ps3's exclusives but the one's i kind of do care about will be remastered for sure anyways..

#17 Posted by farrell2k (6675 posts) -

Cows and Lemmings were shedding tears of absolute rage when Sony and Microsoft abandoned backwards compatibility last gen. Now it's "I don't buy new consoles to play old games" blah blah blah blah.

#18 Posted by Dire_Weasel (16039 posts) -

@edwardecl said:

@Dire_Weasel: If a pink unicorn that shoots rainbows out of it's arse existed I would buy one right away :).

Hey, I'm just saying ... if it happened, I would buy it. If it existed, I would buy it. It's purely hypothetical, of course.

#19 Posted by santoron (7792 posts) -

Meh. I have systems to play all my old games already. BC is a neat thing to have, but it's not a platform choice defining feature.

#20 Posted by Pray_to_me (2921 posts) -

If you're too broke to get a new console stick with your old ones.

#21 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (1434 posts) -

Not for me. I have 90% of the games I want from last gen on PC.

I only bought my consoles for the console exclusives....and I've had my fill of them. I still have my PS3 b/c there are games I haven't finished yet...so it's not like I'm missing out.

#22 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16792 posts) -

I'm not willing to pay 200 more dollars just to play PS3 games....especially when I already own a PS3.

PS2 emulation is getting better and better each year. In a few more years, we will be playing the majority of PS2 games with better visuals and more game options.

#23 Edited by getyeryayasout (7761 posts) -

Anymore I just hold on to the old systems. As much as I like the idea of BC on my new systems, I don't like the additional wear and tear. When I bought my newest TV a couple years ago I made sure that it had plenty of HDMI inputs so I could have lots of devices hooked up to it. My PS3 and 360 will be hooked up until they die. Or the TV dies. Or I die.

#24 Edited by nintendoboy16 (27247 posts) -

@edwardecl said:

Backwards compatibility is not free, you would end up paying more for the console.

Well, when you factor in the price of most of these remasters, it can be a bit cheaper.

#25 Posted by bulby_g (1196 posts) -

Yes, I'd be more likely to upgrade sooner if they had BC. I don't like having too many consoles set up at once, it's messy. Hate swapping them around too, it's all just a pain in the arse.

#26 Edited by Gue1 (10419 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

If the PS4 allowed me to play all of my PS1, 2, and 3 games I would have been the first in line last year.

same here.

#27 Posted by Gue1 (10419 posts) -

@Pray_to_me said:

If you're too broke to get a new console stick with your old ones.

that line of thinking is what has helped console gaming become worse and worse with each new generation of consoles. Now we are even forced to pay to play online on PlayStation, a completely unjustified fee.

@edwardecl said:

then why not make 2 skus? One with BC and one without it. I mean, if the fucking Vita had a version with 3G, an incredibly unnecessary and pointless feature that elevated the price of the system by $100 on top of needing a subscription to take advantage of it too then including BC is a no brainer.

The only reason these new consoles don't have BC is because then they wouldn't be able to sell you their overpriced remasters and that is all.