Would a TLOU game on Vita be the killer app it needs?

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Imagine a The Last of Us game on PS Vita, with new characters set in the TLOU universe either as a parallel adventure set in the same time Joel and Ellie's adventure westwards or a prequel before Joel met Ellie. It would be the first heavily hyped Vita game the handheld desperately needs. It could borrow from the Killzone engine to give the game stellar graphics, and of course, maintain its standard fare gameplay and storytelling. It could also have a few handheld exclusive features though I'm not sure what they could be.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Whore out the franchise before it ever becomes a franchise? Sounds like a good idea.

-.-

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

Whore-out the franchise before it ever becomes a franchise? Sounds like a good idea.

-.-

It's no CoD if that was your question.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

Would never happen though, you'd end up with a Bend game that was alright but nowhere near as good as the proper thing.

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

No.

If sales on the most popular handheld and mobile devices are any indication, handheld gamers want Pokemon, bird tossing, bird flapping or puzzle games.

The target demographic for console/PC gamers are very different from handheld.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

Here is how Sony can fix the Vita.

- Drop the price of memory cards

- Remaster PS1 and PS2 games exclusively for the system

- Make sequels for console franchises exclusively for the system

- Great 3rd party support

But I know this will never happen and Vita is gonna continue being an utter failure.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Remastered edition with Remote Play. Same thing

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

The Vita needs its own GOW (like the PSP had, and those games were awsome), it already has its own Killzone so a sequel to that would be needed, another Assassins Creed game would be nice, it has its own Uncharted as well so another would help. It needs that Bioshock game Kevin Levin promise but forgot about. It needs a Batman game, a real Batman game. Some Ratchet and Clank games. The PSP had a Daxter game (from Jak and Daxter) so if not a Jak and Daxter game, then maybe just a Daxter game. The PSP also had MotorStorm, so maybe that if not some other racer. Some fighting games. And of course.................................. no Playstation system is complete without a MGS game made by the one and only Kojima. Peace Walker was a huge success and not to mention it came out during the time were the PSP was fading away.

Maybe a prequel/back story TLoU game would be cool (Maybe even a spin off based on other characters), but i dont see that happening.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Kjranu said:

Imagine a The Last of Us game on PS Vita, with new characters set in the TLOU universe either as a parallel adventure set in the same time Joel and Ellie's adventure westwards or a prequel before Joel met Ellie. It would be the first heavily hyped Vita game the handheld desperately needs. It could borrow from the Killzone engine to give the game stellar graphics, and of course, maintain its standard fare gameplay and storytelling. It could also have a few handheld exclusive features though I'm not sure what they could be.

Why "a The Last of Us game"? Just port the only one. I'm sure some fanboys will be willing to buy it a 3rd time.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

The Vita needs its own GOW (like the PSP had, and those games were awsome), it already has its own Killzone so a sequel to that would be needed, another Assassins Creed game would be nice, it has its own Uncharted as well so another would help. It needs that Bioshock game Kevin Levin promise but forgot about. It needs a Batman game, a real Batman game. Some Ratchet and Clank games. The PSP had a Daxter game (from Jak and Daxter) so if not a Jak and Daxter game, then maybe just a Daxter game. The PSP also had MotorStorm, so maybe that if not some other racer. Some fighting games. And of course.................................. no Playstation system is complete without a MGS game made by the one and only Kojima. Peace Walker was a huge success and not to mention it came out during the time were the PSP was fading away.

Maybe a prequel/back story TLoU game would be cool (Maybe even a spin off based on other characters), but i dont see that happening.

so it needs everything and the kitchen sink.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14498 Posts

Games are the one thing Vita does right. But the Vita is what it is. It's the first to feel the sting of the new mobile era and Nintendo is likely to experience the same (assuming they don't adapt and incorporate smartphone capabilities).

As much as we categorize the Vita as a mobile device, it's not something you carry with you everywhere you go, i.e. it's not a pocket device. It doesn't do other tasks particularly well either - movies, music, web-browsing, photos, etc. In time, as smartphones become more adept and gamemakers migrate to stronger mobile ecosystems, the games-only handheld will die out.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

lol no, that would just be adding more to what the Vita's problem is. Sony needs to stop treating it like a shitty console and treat it like a handheld.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

What vita needs Is games that can't be played on ps3 and 3ds cuz everyone can play the multiplat games on those 2 systems since basically they are the better choice vita/ps3 multiplats are played better on ps3 since it has better gfx and controls (and pa3 install base is bigger is it's the obvious choice why would i buy a vita if i can play the same game on ps3) and vita/3ds games although they are better on vita but still 3ds is better option since it has those multiplats and dozens of other great exclusives (again 3ds got a bigger install base why would I buy a vita if I already own a 3ds) .

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

I don't think it would help. I just don't see it helping...

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@Kjranu said:

Why "a The Last of Us game"? Just port the only one. I'm sure some fanboys will be willing to buy it a 3rd time.

Yeah, porting a console game to a handheld usually ends up with choppy frame rates and poor optimization.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

A game like TLOU will struggle to sell on the vita because no one barely has one and no one wants to play console like games on a handheld.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

@super600 said:

A game like TLOU will struggle to sell on the vita because no one barely has one and no one wants to play console like games on a handheld.

This and most people have smartphones where they can play games on anyway. Only dedicated gamers would spend $200 to play a game. Most people are content with Temple Run, Flappy Bird and 8 ball pool.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

No, because TLOU is a bad game.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

TLOU is an amazingly good game, but Vita needs original titles.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4197 Posts

@Kjranu: What the Vita needs is a library of titles that sets it apart from the mainline Playstation consoles, not emulates them in a lesser variety. I'm a Playstation fan, and I have no need to purchase a Vita because it's not offering me a substantial experience that I can't already get on the PS3 or PS4. In the Vita's current form, it has no business existing. Sony's strategy with their handheld line has been flawed from the beginning, and it shows in the success of both the PSP and PS Vita.

Sony needs to show why the Vita is both substantial and different from their home console strategy, and making a lesser sequel to a home console game is not the answer.

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

The Vita needs games that you can sink 30+ hours into.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Handhelds and Mobile gaming can all go die for all I care. I'm so happy they're doing so shitty I sleep like a baby at night.

madskills6117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By madskills6117
Member since 2006 • 4172 Posts

If someone like Sony Bend was doing it then I would definitely be interested.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

On top of all the other killer apps?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#25 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Uncharted is already on Vita.

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

No.

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts

Unlikely. It's just not the sort of game that clicks with people on handhelds.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

no. all they need are jrpgs, puzzles, dating sims or other type of sims game for the east

west....just indies and whatever else is on the list for the east

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#29 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Yes, another console(like) game is exactly what the Vita needs to succeed!

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

@Gaming-Planet: look no farther than Borderlands 2 Vita to support your claim. It's got a bunch of technical issues reports have been saying.

The Vita already has the killer app: Persona 4 Golden. Just keep the JRPGs coming and it will become as great as the PSP.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@super600 said:

Like what % of people dont want to play console like games on handehelds?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#32 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Kjranu said:

Yeah, porting a console game to a handheld usually ends up with choppy frame rates and poor optimization.

Well aware. it was a joke, because as we know in SW gameplay>graphics

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@Heil68 said:

@super600 said:

Like what % of people dont want to play console like games on handehelds?

Let's dive into what he means by "no one barely has one" first

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

TLOU was the type of game that didn't need to be a franchise, or have sequels. The DLC was enough.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61509 Posts

More ports? I doubt it.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3231 Posts

Sony would need more original games for the Vita to move sales. Why would anyone buy a downgraded version of TLOU when they can play it on the PS3 or later on the PS4.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

Vita needs original games and maybe a proper GT game built for portable play.