Worth while games on gen 8 platforms?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

What games are worth buying on all gen 8 platforms? Like what do people consider good or great games on these new consoles and why? Why does PS4 or Xbox One 'have no games'? Is that a hyperbole statement or can you back it up?

Discuss this shit.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

If we're talking PS4/X1, nothing really

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Read "PS4 or Xbox One doesn't have any games" as "PS4 or Xbox One doesn't have any worthwhile exclusive games"

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44025 Posts

For me, FH2, MCC & Sunset Overdrive made getting the X1 worth the price of admission.

Also have GTA5 Titanfall & Destiny plus I really got into the Neverwinter MMO for a while and there's been quite a bit of GWG games I've DL'ed.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

It comes from the fact that most of the games are multiplat(duh), and you can play those on PC. But not everyone plays on PC, so whatever.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

WiiU exclusives - Mario 3D World (disappointing after Galaxy, still a pretty great game though), Mario Kart 8, Smash, Bayonetta 2. Possibly Pikmin 3 and Donkey Kong.

PS4 exclusives - Bloodborne, Infamous SS

Xbone exclusives - Forza 5, Sunset Overdrive

PS4/Xbone multiplats - Too many to list. Far Cry 4, Shadow Of Mordor, Wolfenstein, Alien, Dragon Age, etc.

PS4/Xbone ports - Too many to list. Last Of Us, GTAV, Metro, Tomb Raider, Halo MCC, etc.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#7 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

What the Belgian said. Saying they have no games, or no worthwhile games, is stupid, but you can't discount factors like genre trepidation and individual taste either.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

I had a lot of fun with this, this is my 8th gen hidden gem...

Loading Video...

I'm also in the middle of playing ScreamRide, that's a lot of fun. I was very hesitant at first not sure if it was worth the $40 price tag but it has been endlessly amusing.

I think anybody that considers themselves a fan of the Alien films should not pass up on Alien Isolation, that was great. If you know how to play survival horror properly you'll have a blast (i.e. cranked surround sound or headphones, in dark, late at night, alone, no distractions, large HDTV). It's not oh-so-scary but it is very intense for much of the time.

There's also Evil Within, I loved it. Once I was able to look past the stupid black bars and under-performing game engine there was still a quite enjoyable experience to be had.

Shadow of Mordor, maybe you think it's overrated, maybe you don't, whatever, it's still quite a fun game.

Next gen remakes worth playing included Tomb Raider, which is just an awesome game overall, Metro Redux which was especially worth playing to replay the much improved 2033, and Resident Evil HD / REmaster, classic Resident Evil 'nough said. And, all that fun can be had at like $20 a piece.

Sunset Overdrive, if you own an Xbox One this is definitely worth getting, if you don't own an Xbox One well I can't say this game is worth getting one to play but if you do ever end up getting one anyways then don't pass up on this.

Far Cry 4, I mean it's Far Cry, what else needs to be said except you can go on a killing rampage on the back of an elephant.

I think many forget that before it was fun to beat up on Ubisoft that they released Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, probably the best entry into the series by far. Already seemingly forgotten as it was a launch title. I like this the best because it's probably the only game in the series that doesn't require players be familiar with it's nonsensically complex and convoluted story arc and just lets players go at it while still preserving something of a story regarding the Templars/Abstergo and their modern day Assassin rivals. Plus it has pirates and naval ship battles and plundering it's fucking awesome.

I've become quite a horror for the Telltale series on Xbox One, with Walking Dead Seasons 1 & 2, and Wolf Among Us, looking forward to Game of Thrones and Tales from Borderlands finishing up so I can play those. Maybe I'll get started on those once I get finished getting caught up with Life is Strange.

Before playing it, I've heard Lords of the Fallen was like a Souls game on training wheels... I guess it kind of was when I got around to playing it, it was fun, challenging at times, but overall not as punishing as a Souls game. But as someone who has been struggling to be captivated by these types of games, LotF might have done it.

Oh, and how can I forget about the Wii U, has tons of great stuff, New Super Mario Bros U + Luigi U, Zombie U, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2 + 1, Super Smash Bros for Wii U, Captain Toad.

And, well, this post is long enough already I'm not even gonna get started on the 3DS.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

PS4 -Second Son, KZ SF, HellDivers, BloodBourne,

PS4/multiplats - Too many to list.

X1-Sunset Overdrive

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#10 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Can't say anything for the PS4 and X1, as I don't own them. The Wii U has Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, Wind Waker HD, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, and Smash Brothers going for it.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Great
-Bloodborne

Good
-Shovel Knight
-Velocity 2x
-Resogun
-Wolfenstein: The New Order
-Alien Isolation
-Guilty Gear Xrd Sign
-Titanfall
-The Evil Within
-Valiant Hearts
-Super Time Force

Have not played, but they did favorably
-Mortal Kombat X
-Hotline Miami 2
-Ori and The Blind Forest
-Evolve
-Dying Light
-Apotheon
-Broken Age
-Axiom Verge
-OlliOlli2
-Hell Divers
-Stealth Inc 2
-Hand of Fate

This forum has a bad habit of acting like indie stuff and multiplats don't count as video games, when they make up the vast majority of the quality games in a given year. The PS4 and Xbox One look pathetic when you own a PC, otherwise they are relatively fine, if lousy in the exclusives department. The "no-games" thing is pretty silly, because they get more games than any system that isn't the PC. They just don't get quality exclusives, which is the real issue.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Smash Bros

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

-Hand of Fate

Hand of Fate is unplayable in its current state on the PS4. It's been months since it's release and still no patch. I wonder if one's even coming. I check for an update almost everyday.

Sony really needs to step up their QC.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Must Play

• TLoUR (if you skipped it on PS3)
  • Infamous SS
  • MCC (campaign is worth it alone)
  • Bloodborne
  • Sunset Overdrive
  • Pretty much exclusive on Wii U (Smash, 3D World, etc.)

Great

• Tomb Raider DE (MUCH improved over than the original imo)
  • Killer Instinct
  • FF Type-0 HD
  • Forza 5 (any would do)
  • Destiny
  • UFC (fight fans only)

That's about it I think. Everything else is either cross gen or worth no more than a $20 purchase.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

@jg4xchamp: I'm surprised you didn't include Bayo 2, thought you loved that game. :P

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22628 Posts

There is plenty to play on any now gen platform... But multiplats rule and the metagame is a joke. We should stop playing it, because Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft have too.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jg4xchamp

@Boddicker said:
@jg4xchamp said:

-Hand of Fate

Hand of Fate is unplayable in its current state on the PS4. It's been months since it's release and still no patch. I wonder if one's even coming. I check for an update almost everyday.

Sony really needs to step up their QC.

It has a PS4 version? I thought it was a X1/PC game.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jg4xchamp

@PikminWorld said:

@jg4xchamp: I'm surprised you didn't include Bayo 2, thought you loved that game. :P

Thought this thread was strictly asking PS4/X1, otherwise add Bayonetta 2 to the great column, put 3D World, DK, Smash, Wonderful 101 under good column.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19  Edited By deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@PikminWorld said:

Thought this thread was strictly asking PS4/X1, otherwise add Bayonetta 2 to the great column, put 3D World, DK, Smash, Wonderful 101 under good column.

My bad, misread the OP. I still need to finish Bayonetta 2 as sad as that is to say lol.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#20  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@bobrossperm said:

What games are worth buying on all gen 8 platforms? Like what do people consider good or great games on these new consoles and why? Why does PS4 or Xbox One 'have no games'? Is that a hyperbole statement or can you back it up?

Discuss this shit.

Of course that is a hyperbole statement. On X1 I play Titanfall, Dead Rising, Ori, FH2, Sunset Overdrive, MCC. On PS4 I play Bloodborne, Infamous, KZSF. I borrowed and played the Order and while I like the setting the game was mediocre. The main things I would like a WiiU for is some BC with Wii games, Zelda U, SSMBU

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#21 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Wii U:

ZombiU

Super Mario 3D World

Bayonetta 2

Hyrule Warriors

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Zelda: Wind Waker HD

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cainetao11

@TheEroica said:

There is plenty to play on any now gen platform... But multiplats rule and the metagame is a joke. We should stop playing it, because Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft have too.

The industry has changed. And game development costs a lot of money so its obvious we will be seeing less of them.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

If you have a good PC you don't need a current gen console.

Things you'll miss though..

Halo MCC, Sunset Overdrive on X1, Forza if you like driving games.

The Last Of Us Remastered, Bloodborne, Infamous on PS4 though PS4 has a ton of exclusives lined up, Xbox One has a few too but not so many.

Wii U loads of kids games for kids. If that floats your boat jump right on in. Or if you have kids, buy it for them then play them when you send them off to bed.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

DEFYING SPACE AND TIME GAME OF MULTI YEARS.

Loading Video...

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22628 Posts

@cainetao11: plus, why sink your own resources into something when someone else can do it.... And in most cases, as it were with the current state of exclusives and multiplats, better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

if you have a gaming PC, you could say there's not much consoles can offer. you are then looking at them for the exclusives only. so far, only Bloodborne has ticked enough boxes for me, so i had to get a console.

if you are a console-only gamer, then there are definetly lots of games, since you have all the great multiplats.

so how about PC exclusives? i could easily choose Dota 2 to be the only game i will ever play. you can throw an infinite amount of hours on good multiplayers, and that's where PC shines. i also love the projects like DayZ and Star Citizen.

Link3301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#28 Link3301
Member since 2008 • 2001 Posts

Bloodborne is supposed to be fantastic. The Wii U also has many worthwhile games like Bayonetta 2, Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, etc. There are some good multiplats like Shadow of Mordor and Titanfall, but you can always just play those on pc.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

If we define worthwhile as good to excellent, then I'd go with the following.

PS4

-inFAMOUS Second Son (lots of fun to play with the most interesting and varied powers from the series to date. The smoothness of traversal is satisfying and the combat is engaging.

-Assassin's Creed Unity (there are a lot of good ideas here that push the Assassin aspect of this series in the right direction. It still has its fair share of problems, but the city of Paris and everything you can do in it makes up for that)

Wii U

-Pikmin 3 (The best game in one of my favourite franchises of all time. They've only improved everything in the past games to add more options to become even more efficient than ever before. Just the simple tweak of adding a 3rd member, the go here function, and being able to leave Pikmin to a task exponentially increases your options and strategical possibilities. The ability to see a replay of what you've done is also an amazing addition as it allows you to get an overview of what you did and shows where you can cut time and become more efficient. The story mode is exceptionally well designed and the challenge levels are pure genius.)

-Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (as I've said countless times by now, this is one of the best platformers on the market right now. It does everything right. Tight and challenging level design? Check. Lots of collectibles and a sense of exploration? Check. Are the levels perfectly and brilliantly designed with speed running in mind? Check. Are the controls responsive and satisfying? Check. Does it offer a lot of content and extreme challenge for those that want it? Double check.)

-Bayonetta 2 (This is one of the best Hack n Slash games around right now. It's got a lot of variety in the weapon combinations you can equip and the mechanics are smooth, responsive, and exciting. I'd say the thing Bayonetta 2 has over pretty much every other Hack n Slash is enemy variety. I felt like they relentlessly introduced new foes at just about every corner)

-Super Mario 3D World (one of the best 3D Mario games released and it's not a stretch to claim it's the best. It has the tightest level design of the 3D Mario games and it's still chalk full Mario Galaxy-esque creativity)

-Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (I'd say this is the strongest iteration of Smash. It's still friendly to those that want just a silly party game, but it also caters pretty heavily to the competitive player. This is the first time Nintendo has built smash with competitive players in mind and they've constantly release balance patches for these players. Also, it's packed with a ton of content)

-New Super Mario Bros. U (This is just a great 2D platformer with perhaps the best level design in the New Super Mario series, but what pushes this game well ahead of its predecessors is the challenge mode. Nintendo has shown lately that they don't mind punishing players that are looking for a challenge.)

As always, I feel the need to mention that I have not yet played Bloodborne. I just have too much to do and too much to play to spend money on a game like that right now.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@Pikminmaniac said:

If we define worthwhile as good to excellent, then I'd go with the following.

PS4

-inFAMOUS Second Son (lots of fun to play with the most interesting and varied powers from the series to date. The smoothness of traversal is satisfying and the combat is engaging.

-Assassin's Creed Unity (there are a lot of good ideas here that push the Assassin aspect of this series in the right direction. It still has its fair share of problems, but the city of Paris and everything you can do in it makes up for that)

Wii U

-Pikmin 3 (The best game in one of my favourite franchises of all time. They've only improved everything in the past games to add more options to become even more efficient than ever before. Just the simple tweak of adding a 3rd member, the go here function, and being able to leave Pikmin to a task exponentially increases your options and strategical possibilities. The ability to see a replay of what you've done is also an amazing addition as it allows you to get an overview of what you did and shows where you can cut time and become more efficient. The story mode is exceptionally well designed and the challenge levels are pure genius.)

-Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (as I've said countless times by now, this is one of the best platformers on the market right now. It does everything right. Tight and challenging level design? Check. Lots of collectibles and a sense of exploration? Check. Are the levels perfectly and brilliantly designed with speed running in mind? Check. Are the controls responsive and satisfying? Check. Does it offer a lot of content and extreme challenge for those that want it? Double check.)

-Bayonetta 2 (This is one of the best Hack n Slash games around right now. It's got a lot of variety in the weapon combinations you can equip and the mechanics are smooth, responsive, and exciting. I'd say the thing Bayonetta 2 has over pretty much every other Hack n Slash is enemy variety. I felt like they relentlessly introduced new foes at just about every corner)

-Super Mario 3D World (one of the best 3D Mario games released and it's not a stretch to claim it's the best. It has the tightest level design of the 3D Mario games and it's still chalk full Mario Galaxy-esque creativity)

-Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (I'd say this is the strongest iteration of Smash. It's still friendly to those that want just a silly party game, but it also caters pretty heavily to the competitive player. This is the first time Nintendo has built smash with competitive players in mind and they've constantly release balance patches for these players. Also, it's packed with a ton of content)

-New Super Mario Bros. U (This is just a great 2D platformer with perhaps the best level design in the New Super Mario series, but what pushes this game well ahead of its predecessors is the challenge mode. Nintendo has shown lately that they don't mind punishing players that are looking for a challenge.)

As always, I feel the need to mention that I have not yet played Bloodborne. I just have too much to do and too much to play to spend money on a game like that right now.

Good answers. Bloodborne will almost certainly be an excellent status game to you. It's a work of art.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cainetao11

@TheEroica: Well said bro

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@bobrossperm: Oh I suspect I'll like it. After all, I very much enjoyed Dark Souls.