Worst Controller of all time?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by RageQuitter69 (1295 posts) -

We have a topic on the best controller of call time, so I thought I would flick the switch to the more pessimistic side of things and make a topic on the worst controller of all time.

So, what do you think the worst controller of all time is?

My vote goes the the three-handled Nintendo 64 controller, yeah sure, game developers made it so that two-armed humans could play it but that doesn't make the design any less okay. I will never know what was going through the designers heads when they designed this controller.

#2 Edited by br0kenrabbit (12669 posts) -

So stiff, and playing with one sounded like a fat naked guy rolling around on a vinyl couch.

#3 Posted by BillyMays (1166 posts) -

probably the Intellivision

#4 Posted by CrownKingArthur (3767 posts) -

touch screen on cellphones

#5 Edited by PsychoLemons (1918 posts) -

The Atari 5200 controller.

#6 Edited by getyeryayasout (6901 posts) -

So stiff, and playing with one sounded like a fat naked guy rolling around on a vinyl couch.

Lol, so true. We usually ended up pulling the black rubber off of the joystick. My vote goes to the Intellivision controller fallowed closely by the Collecovision's pad.

#7 Posted by Joedgabe (5090 posts) -

They're not bad at all. But i suppose it depends what you're doing with them.

#8 Posted by TheEroica (13041 posts) -

Sure, I could say the Atari2600 paddles, but the controller that sucked the worst compared to it's current gen counterparts was easily Dualshock 3.... nope, not trolling... it was supposed to be a banana boomerang back when sony was going through their XBOX One phase and when they realized how shit it was they grabbed their leftover molds from dualshock 2 and played it safe with an ergonomical disaster compared to the far superior XBOX360 controller. Picking up great ps3 games to play is exciting until you realize you have to play with that awful thing.

#9 Edited by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

Sure, I could say the Atari2600 paddles, but the controller that sucked the worst compared to it's current gen counterparts was easily Dualshock 3.... nope, not trolling... it was supposed to be a banana boomerang back when sony was going through their XBOX One phase and when they realized how shit it was they grabbed their leftover molds from dualshock 2 and played it safe with an ergonomical disaster compared to the far superior XBOX360 controller. Picking up great ps3 games to play is exciting until you realize you have to play with that awful thing.

ds3 was not that bad,

I honestly don't understand the gripe most have with controllers,

why I can play on the xbox "duke" dreamcast, 64 and ds3, and have no complaints about neither,

but on that boomerang design, sony should've went with that,

at least when you are playing "master ninja" difficulty on ng sigma,

when you throw the controller in rage,

it would've came flying back

#10 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16474 posts) -

Wii controller.

#11 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4463 posts) -

Worst controller I ever owned.

... sorry about the pic, I got a haircut since then.

#12 Posted by CrownKingArthur (3767 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

They're not bad at all. But i suppose it depends what you're doing with them.

for video games

#13 Posted by TheEroica (13041 posts) -

No joke, that guy got arrested for being a "pet-er-ass" #BigLebowski

#14 Edited by wis3boi (30900 posts) -

n64 gets my vote. No way to hold that thing comfortably

#15 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4463 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner said:

Damn man, I wanted to make a joke of this, but... wtf?

#16 Edited by Gue1 (9155 posts) -

easily the N64's.

On a second note I think all Nintendo's controllers have been pretty bad....

#17 Posted by TheEroica (13041 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

Damn man, I wanted to make a joke of this, but... wtf?

hahaha.... well, if your joke was going to be how you and your power glove are convicted felons, well done good sir... well done.

#18 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15798 posts) -

The left one. I have no idea how many I broke with my Commodore Amiga.

#19 Posted by TrappedInABox91 (461 posts) -

5200 or the powerglove.

The N64 is one of the best controllers. Some of you are misinformed.

#20 Posted by senses_fail_06 (6735 posts) -

Wii remote, and it's not even close. It single-handedly ruined every game I ever played on the system.

The N64 controller was pretty awesome in its day. It's aged horribly, but I have fond memories of it.

The Gamecube controller is probably the worst modern design.

#21 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

I really liked N64 controller. The original PlayStation 1 controller without joysticks and rumble was pretty crappy

#22 Posted by hiphops_savior (7680 posts) -

Ouya controller is just awful. Breaks apart too easily.

N64 did reintroduce the analog stick, it just had poor ergonomics.

Keep in mind that poor implementation of controls=/=poor controller. The Wii remote, for the most part, did what it's supposed to do. It's just that there are many who only sees the Wii as a quick way to make a buck (aka the problem Smartphone gaming are having today).

#23 Posted by starwolf474 (414 posts) -

The DualShock 3 is the worst controller that I've ever used. Terrible analog sticks, terrible triggers, archaic design that is not ideal for modern games, and overall too small and uncomfortable for adult hands. That terrible controller is the primary reason why I used my Xbox 360 a lot more than my PS3.

#24 Posted by Joedgabe (5090 posts) -

Keep in mind that poor implementation of controls=/=poor controller. The Wii remote, for the most part, did what it's supposed to do. It's just that there are many who only sees the Wii as a quick way to make a buck (aka the problem Smartphone gaming are having today).

Hell NO! the only games that the Wii mote worked properly on were the games that you didn't use motion controls on like SSB: Brawl and Xenoblade Chronicles, and Fire Emblem. But then games like No more Heroes, Wii sports, and Metroid Prime 3 it some times just screwed you up at the worst times.

#25 Posted by hiphops_savior (7680 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

@hiphops_savior said:

Hell NO! the only games that the Wii mote worked properly on were the games that you didn't use motion controls on like SSB: Brawl and Xenoblade Chronicles, and Fire Emblem. But then games like No more Heroes, Wii sports, and Metroid Prime 3 it some times just screwed you up at the worst times.

Careful girl, you just got your opinion confused for fact. Wii Sports was brilliant, it sold everyone on the concept of motion controls. No More Heroes is just comical, and the only time it used motion controls is for special moves and recharging (think shake weights).

To quote Francis: "I like to complain about video games that I have never played."

#26 Posted by mems_1224 (45780 posts) -

Worst one I've used is probably between the N64, the duke or the dualshock 3.

#27 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3238 posts) -

Easily the dualshock 3.

#28 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10043 posts) -

Worst one I've used is probably between the N64, the duke or the dualshock 3.

Its probably because I have large hands, but I loved the Duke.

___

With the N64 controller its one of the best consoles ever with one of the...weirdest controllers.

#29 Posted by Joedgabe (5090 posts) -

@hiphops_savior: uhmmm the Wii brought Wii sports with the wii.. how could i have not played it? yes, often times in minigames the motion controls would not respond as intended.

#30 Edited by Transfer_Point (85 posts) -

Yeah, N64 controller was never good, even at the time. I give it credit for playing a large role in helping to make the analog control mainstream, but at the same time, it had a rather flimsy analog stick.

Add that to the fact it had too many face buttons, poor layout, and it was over-sized.

Oh, and do not get me started on how damn uncontrollable it was to hold/control.

#31 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5129 posts) -

If were talking modern, the N64 controller, followed by the SixAxis/DS3, followed by the Gamecube controller, followed by the Xbox Duke controller.

#32 Posted by treedoor (7478 posts) -

The dualshock is the worst lineup of controllers I've used.

So glad Sony finally changed it with the ds4. Just a shame they didn't go through with the original ps3 controller. That thing looked awesome.

#33 Edited by XboxStache (906 posts) -

Gamecube because of it's awful d-pad. The original ps1 controller. N64. The Duke was awesome!!!

#34 Posted by 187umKILLAH (1334 posts) -

Nintendo 64, just awful.

#35 Posted by RageQuitter69 (1295 posts) -

5200 or the powerglove.

The N64 is one of the best controllers. Some of you are misinformed.

Misinformed? No, we just only have two arms.

#36 Edited by AtariKidX (6192 posts) -

CDi controller....it is horrible.

#37 Posted by Bigboi500 (28804 posts) -

N64 controller.

#38 Posted by stuff238 (610 posts) -

Original xbox controller, wii controller, and wii U controller are the worst.

N64 controller looks stupid, but it is comfy.

#39 Posted by insanegame377 (332 posts) -

N64 - Way too many sticks and buttons.

#40 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6181 posts) -

likely one of the first consoles. I can not remember which I am thinking of anymore (yeah Im old) NES and beyond have pretty much been pretty solid in controllers. Complainers should try to use one of those ancient Things.

#41 Posted by VendettaRed07 (13998 posts) -

The Atari 5200. Every other answer is wrong. lts the only controller to ever single handedly kill a system. Probably would have done well if it had actually worked

#42 Posted by cainetao11 (15891 posts) -

@TheEroica: I really don't get what was so bad about DS3. I preferred 360 controller, but DS3 was fine.

#43 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (3306 posts) -

@treedoor said:

The dualshock is the worst lineup of controllers I've used.

So glad Sony finally changed it with the ds4. Just a shame they didn't go through with the original ps3 controller. That thing looked awesome.

u serious? how could u even hold that thing? that looked complete garbage

to answer the question the worst controller i have ever used is original xbox controller, it was simply too damn big (obligatory thats what she said) followed by dual shock 3. ds3 is complete trash i cant stand the sting, hopefully sony make ds4 compatible with ps3

#44 Edited by uninspiredcup (6891 posts) -

Once you go Xbox350 controller there aint no going back.

#45 Edited by hiphops_savior (7680 posts) -

Once you go Xbox350 controller there aint no going back.

I did went 360, and I did went back. U mad bro?

#46 Edited by Solid_Max13 (3482 posts) -

This!!!

#47 Edited by TheEroica (13041 posts) -

@TheEroica: I really don't get what was so bad about DS3. I preferred 360 controller, but DS3 was fine.

It's not that the controller was bad in a sense that you couldn't play complex games on it, but its awful ergonomics, convex triggers, small size and utter lack of gen to gen innovation, in the face of the 360 industry defining offering, made it so unsatisfying to game with... I really dislike that design. Luckily DS4 is a REALLY nice follow up. IF they didnt put all there stock into the boomerang controller, who knows, maybe we would've got to that design sooner.

#48 Posted by Cheleman (7615 posts) -

The 360 controller. I fractured my wedding ring finger playing with that piece of shit.

#49 Edited by inb4uall (5142 posts) -

phones, n64, or the original xbox controller.

#50 Posted by Doom_HellKnight (12187 posts) -

Hated the N64 controller.