World's Largest Population Getting The One Soon

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by kuu2 (8743 posts) -

Soon China will be getting The One and over a billion people will be able to experience the greatness that MSoft brings to the console market.

MSoft Could Dominate In China

"A senior executive with Microsoft Corporation said that the company is stepping up efforts to bring in its multi-purpose Xbox game console to the Chinese market as soon as possible, domestic news portal qq.com reported Sunday.

During a two-day China (Shenzhen) IT Summit that began Saturday, Zhang Yaqin, global vice president of the US software giant, was quoted as saying that much progress in technologies and content has been achieved and the company expects to launch the Xbox in China soon.

Foreign game console makers have been eyeing China's huge gaming industry for a long time.

A January report by Beijing-based market research firm Analysys International showed that total sales in China's gaming market reached 84.2 billion yuan ($13.6 billion) in 2013, predicting the number will increase to 109.3 billion yuan in 2014.

They can now make an entrance into the market after the State Council, the country's cabinet, said in early January that foreign-invested enterprises within the Shanghai free trade zone can now manufacture gaming consoles in the zone and sell them in China.

Microsoft seems to have gotten a leg up on other peers such as Sony and Nintendo. The company has already set up a joint venture with China's first listed new media content provider BesTV New Media Co in September 2013 and located the venture in the zone.

Foreign game consoles like Xbox may be attractive to some Chinese high-end game players, but many price-sensitive Chinese users will likely buy cheaper devices developed by domestic companies such as Huawei and TCL, Xue Wenfeng, an industry analyst with Analysys International, told the Global Times Sunday.

The Xbox One, roughly priced at $440 on Amazon, is a multi-purpose device that enables users to watch online videos, listen to music as well as play video games.

Zhang noted that the company would add more content to the Xbox suitable for Chinese users.

Believing that many Chinese gamers will likely prefer playing games in the living room with the open policy, Chinese telecommunications equipment maker Huawei Technologies disclosed a plan in January to introduce a self-developed game console "TRON" to its home market in the second quarter of this year. Huawei said the device will be sold for less than 1,000 yuan each.

Chinese electronics maker TCL Corp is also reportedly planning to launch its game console on major online shopping platform jd.com on April 9, though it hasn't revealed the price tag."

#2 Edited by Wasdie (52450 posts) -

No console, especially a $300+ console, is going to do well in China. Too expensive. Unless they want to drop the price significantly in China, they don't stand much of a chance. Furthermore there is the issue of software and media. Piracy is basically a way of life there and it allows games and media to be extremely cheap. Unless the games are going to be very cheap it's going to be very difficult for a console to make itself appealing enough for the average Chinese gamers to buy one over continuing to use their PC.

I guess we'll see what happens. I don't expect China to be that big of a market for consoles.

#3 Posted by Animal-Mother (27334 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

No console, especially a $300+ console, is going to do well in China. Too expensive. Unless they want to drop the price significantly in China, they don't stand much of a chance. Furthermore there is the issue of software and media. Piracy is basically a way of life there and it allows games and media to be extremely cheap. Unless the games are going to be very cheap it's going to be very difficult for a console to make itself appealing enough for the average Chinese gamers to buy one over continuing to use their PC.

I guess we'll see what happens. I don't expect China to be that big of a market for consoles.

This X1000000000000

They recently lifted the console ban there and while it may be good for business they've pretty much adapted to a specific way of gaming life there

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#4 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

Worlds largest pollution and poverty gap. I don't see any console doing well especially with PC being already well established there.

#5 Posted by kuu2 (8743 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

No console, especially a $300+ console, is going to do well in China. Too expensive. Unless they want to drop the price significantly in China, they don't stand much of a chance. Furthermore there is the issue of software and media. China is a really weird place when it comes to software and media. It's going to be very difficult for a console to make itself appealing enough for the average Chinese gamers to buy one over continuing to use their PC.

Correct, any console will have to localize for this market but MSoft stands a better chance doing that than their Japanese counterparts. It sounds like MSoft has already started partnering with local media to help with localization. Most of China is poor but they have a billion people and even capturing .5% would be a win.

#6 Edited by Netret0120 (3290 posts) -

Piracy is going to be so rampant. I would be shocked if this significantly affects X1 sales but from a software point of view they will make very little cash.

#7 Edited by misterpmedia (5986 posts) -

They will buy the Xbox One knock off that will immediately go to market shortly after instead. Same with the PS4. I don't think China is this special untapped resource people keep making it out to be. Colour me surprised if either console takes off in China.

#8 Posted by juarbles (801 posts) -

Lol chinese lems are desperate.

#9 Posted by melonfarmerz (1294 posts) -

Consoles don't stand a chance there. It's just like Korea. The PC market is so well established there's no way consoles could have remotely good sales.

#10 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

They will buy the Xbox One knock off that will immediately go to market shortly after. Same with the PS4. I don't think China is this special untapped resource people keep making it out to be. Colour me surprised if either console takes off in China.

China's got a shit load of money, lord knows the U.S. has borrowed enough of it. The problem is the quality of life for the working class is laughable, soy sauce made with sewage, exploding computer chairs, entire buildings made of packed trash.

The gap between the wealthy and poor is one of the largest on the planet.

#11 Posted by UnbiasedPoster (1134 posts) -

Lol, banking on China to come through to help save face?

After that flops, what territories will lems latch to next?

Scandinavian countries? The Middle East? Laos?

#12 Posted by clyde46 (48952 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Worlds largest pollution and poverty gap. I don't see any console doing well especially with PC being already well established there.

And piracy. How can you compete with free?

#13 Edited by Mozelleple112 (6946 posts) -

Lol at the title saying "world's largest population". While China may have the largest population in the world, it does NOT have the world's largest middle class. International middle class that is by the way.

I can't remember the minimum requirement of income to be in the international middle class range, but it is basically enough money to be able to afford a house, a decent car, school for 2 children, more than enough food for the family to eat comfortably and not be hungry, and still have money for "luxury" goods. No I'm not talking about a Rolls or a Patek Phillipe but "luxuries" as in electricity, clean water, television, internet and so on.

Xbox One goes into that "luxury" category as it is not needed at all for survival.

China might have 1.3 billion people but it still doesn't have the world's largest middle class, that would be America. which has more than 300 million middle class citizens (international middle class, not American middle class, mind you)

I can't remember who's in second place it was either Japan or China. I didn't read this on the internet, but I attended a business/marketing seminar in Dubai where they discussed this topic. China was said to have the largest middle class in the world in 20 years time,which meant that the USA would lose its #1 position that it has held for more than 60 years.

In other words, USA population = 320 million, amount of "possible customers" for X1 = 300 million+

China population = 1,300 million, amount of possible customers for X1 = around 150 million

Japan population = 130 million, amount of possible customers = 120 million +

Not accurate numbers by any means, but an illustration of how the vast majority of the chinese population won't be able to afford an X1, while all but the poorest people in the USA and Japan can afford one.

This is also reflected by the fact that the USA is by far the largest video game market in the world with a reported number of 180 million gamers (Read it in an article here at Gamespot)

In the future though, we're going to see China shoot past the USA like a rocket, and there'll be no turning back. Soon video game consoles, the internet etc will be flooded with Chinese people and we'll constantly have to post "china =/= world!".

150 million today, 250 million in 10 years, 350 million in 20.. in 50 years god knows, maybe 500+ million middle class chinese people... 100 years could be 1 billion plus chinese people playing video games, buying cell phones every year, buying HDTVs, gaming PCs, buying new cars every 5-7 years, using high broadband internet etc.

#14 Posted by freedomfreak (48813 posts) -

I expected Belgium.

#17 Posted by melonfarmerz (1294 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@misterpmedia said:

They will buy the Xbox One knock off that will immediately go to market shortly after. Same with the PS4. I don't think China is this special untapped resource people keep making it out to be. Colour me surprised if either console takes off in China.

China's got a shit load of money, lord knows the U.S. has borrowed enough of it. The problem is the quality of life for the working class is laughable, soy sauce made with sewage, exploding computer chairs, entire buildings made of packed trash.

I've worked in China as an expat for 5 years. I'm assuming you're commenting based on what you've read online and seen through the news. Your view on the wealth gap and working class is so backwards and wrong. Instead of focusing on what you've seen on the news maybe once, about sewage and what not, you should probably try to see what things are like for yourself. That's like Chinese people thinking the US gets hit by terrorist attacks every few hours because they once read a story about the Boston bombing.

That said, Xbox One fanboys really shouldn't bank on China boosting sales. Chinese gamers are huge on RTS and MOBA's. Nobody cares about Ryse or Titanfall...

#18 Posted by kuu2 (8743 posts) -

@melonfarmerz said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I've worked in China as an expat for 5 years. I'm assuming you're commenting based on what you've read online and seen through the news. Your view on the wealth gap and working class is so backwards and wrong. Instead of focusing on what you've seen on the news maybe once, about sewage and what not, you should probably try to see what things are like for yourself. That's like Chinese people thinking the US gets hit by terrorist attacks every few hours because they once read a story about the Boston bombing.

That said, Xbox One fanboys really shouldn't bank on China boosting sales. Chinese gamers are huge on RTS and MOBA's. Nobody cares about Ryse or Titanfall...

Again, localization will be key.........

And yes most have a very small view of the world other than what they read on the news and what they see on TV.

This is the first step for MSoft so those saying, 'They are all poor', or 'They only play this type of game' are looking at the now and not what can be.

#19 Edited by MonsieurX (35299 posts) -

@juarbles said:

Lol chinese lems are desperate.

good ole jelly right here from a non-real gamer

#20 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

let him dream and live in his delusions.

#21 Posted by Blabadon (32740 posts) -

Yeah, you go China!

#22 Posted by misterpmedia (5986 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Nice! This could really be a game changer if they play their cards rights! Hopefully not only MS, but Ninty and Sony will be able to enter that market in a legal and correct fashion.

Also, is the 50$ price drop on Amazon official or...? If it were a simple promotion it would have ended by now, no? Or is it one of those "while stock lasts" things?

if it's still full price on the Microsoft store then consider it an Amazon forced promotion of some sort.

#23 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

@melonfarmerz said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@misterpmedia said:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/28/world/asia/most-chinese-cities-fail-pollution-standard-china-says.html?_r=0

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/10/28/you-may-never-eat-street-food-in-china-again-after-watching-this-video/

http://www.weirdasianews.com/2010/02/05/shanghai-wonderbridge-trash-collapses/

http://business.asiaone.com/news/woman-badly-injured-exploding-computer-chair

I'm sure there's some nice aspects to Chinese life, but China quality is a very real thing.

#24 Posted by SolidTy (49826 posts) -

Good for China getting various consoles soon. I've read about this a few times in SW, but it's still good for them again. The next thread on China console games my opinion will remain the same. Good for China.

@Desmonic said:

Also, is the 50$ price drop on Amazon official or...? If it were a simple promotion it would have ended by now, no? Or is it one of those "while stock lasts" things?

E3 is soon. A new price-point/bundles may be in the cards if the numbers don't hit the projections.

#25 Edited by kuu2 (8743 posts) -

@Krelian-co said:

More jelly from the bovine of GSpot.

#26 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

I expected Belgium.

This was the first country that popped into my head as well.

#27 Edited by kuu2 (8743 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I'm sure there's some nice aspects to Chinese life, but China quality is a very real thing.

But how will you know if you have never been there?

China has its blemishes as all nations do.

There will be Ones sold in China while MSoft's rivals have to fight to be confirmed there to sell consoles.

#29 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

@Krelian-co said:

can u explain to me why should i be jelly?

#30 Posted by HerzogJan (424 posts) -

American company betrayed by americans and turn to the chinese?

#31 Posted by kuu2 (8743 posts) -

@Krelian-co said:

@kuu2 said:

@Krelian-co said:

can u explain to me why should i be jelly?

Cause Sony aint there and might not be. Plus you are Sony Fan and you just hate anything good about The One or any other console not Sony sponsored. Pretty simple really.

#32 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (10669 posts) -

@Wasdie: The One will be cheaper in China. No shipping costs, LOL

#33 Edited by Flubbbs (4565 posts) -

im suprised there isnt already a Chinese Xbox One knock-off yet

#34 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3588 posts) -

Unless MS has a hit MMO or LoL it won't do that well that said any console that goes there won't do well either, China is very unique to portable and online and will not adapt to a western mentality to pay for online or subscriptions

#35 Posted by misterpmedia (5986 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@misterpmedia said:

if it's still full price on the Microsoft store then consider it an Amazon forced promotion of some sort.

@SolidTy said:

E3 is soon. A new price-point/bundles may be in the cards if the numbers don't hit the projections.

Hmm, makes sense.

Wonder why Amazon felt so forced to do that though... overstocked perhaps?..

they're doing what most retailers are either now doing, have been doing or are very much thinking of doing....and that's working out how to shift their vast pyramids of unsold Xbone that seemingly no-one is interested in.

#36 Posted by nini200 (11477 posts) -

Pffft China isn't the bigest population in the world. Roaches are, and you know what happens to roaches. :)

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
#37 Edited by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

how impactful will this be? certainly the population is large, but how much of that population has disposable income?

this isn't going to be amazing, but, from time to time surprises happen.

if i'm surprised i wouldn't be surprised. what wait?

#38 Posted by Twizded (545 posts) -

The X1 is going to flop outside of English speaking countries. No one is going to learn part of laguage. Just to play Xbox.

#39 Edited by Solid_Max13 (3588 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur: if you want to look at it from fanboys then it's this: Zomg Xbox won zomg in china no otehr console pure pwnage.

IMO and what i see is that it will sell just bit a lot. China is more interested in PC gaming or freebies they can play for cheap IE tablets phones etc not to mention there a million knockoffs there and pirating is huge. If it does sell well good for Xbox but with subscription fees and a pretty deep price for the mid class level of china it may not fare well, I wouldn't even see Sony or Nintendo doing well but I guess we will have to wait and see

#40 Posted by StrifeDelivery (1897 posts) -

The only things that I could see that would be successful would be 3DS/Vita.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
#41 Edited by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

@Solid_Max13: haha, the fanboy mode - classic.

but yeah mate, i agree with you. if, your average chinese person is budget conscious, then why would they fork out the money for xbone? especially if they're already gaming on pc/phone.

also, i suspect a gaming device with a utilitarian slant like the pc would fare far better in china - though that's just a hunch of mine.

the live subscription - yeah, that's a bitter pill to swallow.

#42 Edited by lglz1337 (4798 posts) -

you have to sell your Xbone day one edition somewhere i mean collecting dust in murica stores aint no option son.

good luck MS you need this

#43 Posted by silversix_ (23431 posts) -

no one gives a flying crap about consoles in China, everyone is embracing PC master race for generations

#44 Edited by GhoX (6164 posts) -

The average price of a legitimate copy of game in China used to be around 10 USD on launch day. Why do I say used to? It's because you can no longer find non-pirated games in China. The closest option is importing from Hong Kong, but most people don't bother doing that since pirated copies can be bought for as cheap as 1 USD, openly sold in computer/software malls, on the street, or just downloaded for free. Piracy is so much the norm that the only games that can survive in China are MMOs that always require an online connection (even then there are tons of private servers).

#45 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3588 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

@Solid_Max13: haha, the fanboy mode - classic.

but yeah mate, i agree with you. if, your average chinese person is budget conscious, then why would they fork out the money for xbone? especially if they're already gaming on pc/phone.

also, i suspect a gaming device with a utilitarian slant like the pc would fare far better in china - though that's just a hunch of mine.

the live subscription - yeah, that's a bitter pill to swallow.

Yea it's mostly LoL they play there and RTS, they love games with replay value etc, FPS and others for them don't matter, But yea sub fee's also hinder it, heck China won't even pay for netflix, so imagine PSN/XBL there, they'd scoff at it.

#46 Posted by RossRichard (3490 posts) -

Considering you can walk into a legitimate store and buy pirated games or movies, I doubt that XBone launching in China will have the effect you are thinking of.

#47 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

@nini200 said:

Pffft China isn't the bigest population in the world. Roaches are, and you know what happens to roaches. :)

They survive nuclear war?

#48 Posted by Dire_Weasel (16675 posts) -

A subscription-based gaming console simply isn't going to sell in China.

The reverse-engineered knock-off might do all right, though.

#49 Edited by ni6htmare01 (2060 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

But how will you know if you have never been there?

China has its blemishes as all nations do.

There will be Ones sold in China while MSoft's rivals have to fight to be confirmed there to sell consoles.

I use to work and live in both China and Hong Kong. I can tell you that over there they mostly play PC RPG, or flash game (Free) When they buy console, they import them from places like Hong Kong and guess what consoles they import? The WII and PS3! Playstation already has tons of games localize to Chinese from Sony Asia or Playstation Asia. (what ever hell you call them.) MS do not have much chance in China at all. Specially the Kincet?? Not going to do well!

#50 Posted by TigerSuperman (4331 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Nice! This could really be a game changer if they play their cards rights! Hopefully not only MS, but Ninty and Sony will be able to enter that market in a legal and correct fashion.

Nintendo has never even sold a million there and they have had an Ique partnership for every system and handheld since the N64.

Another thing, I have already seen Wii U's with Asus logos. The issue with doing well in China has nothing to do with the machines, or whether they get re branded like nintendos do there. The issue is that you can make a direct clone with a SMALL SMALL difference, does not even have to be visible, and you will not get in trouble.

There are literally Quad core 5 inch Iphones running IO7 and Android. But they are from Hassee or UMI.