World Exclusive: Durango unveiled!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Hmmm....are those good specs or not?

PAL360
Considering the PS4 specs would not be way far,i say yes imaging Halo 4 on a console 6 times more powerful.
Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

Hmmm....are those good specs or not?

PAL360
I know the RAM is really good. The rest I don't understand:P
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Good specs.

Pretty much high end PC specs.

Avatar image for fernandmondego_
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 fernandmondego_
Member since 2005 • 3170 Posts

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"]Not good enough, I want more power.ZombieKiller7

I AM ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROLLLL

*makes 720 more powerful*

There ya go

I'm not a greedy man, I just want Quad I7's (3970X) and Quad 7990s with 32-64GB of DDR4. You know, nothing major.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#55 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

the GPU has 12 cores with 768 threads. Is that the same as a stream processor or pipelines? I always thought when the specs of a GPU said it had like 800 stream processors that they were actual physical cores... No?

Gue1

Modern GPUs, which the Durango's is based off of, uses GPGPUs which are general processing GPUs. This means they have a functionally complete set of instructions so they can do general processing. What sets them apart from CPUs is their size and how they are interfaced with. These cores are a lot smaller, even if they are functionally complete, to CPU cores and thus are a lot weaker. They make up for this by having several hundred on the card at once that are interfaced uniformly. This makes them ideal for doing graphical calculations as with graphics you're doing a lot of parallel math.

Bascially, it sounds like these GPUs will cruch pixels pretty well.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#56 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Clock speed means nothing.. A CPU with 1.6 clock speed can be more efficient that one that is clocked at 2.8,i am sure this CPU is way more effective than the Xenon which is 3 cores 6 threads at 3.2 GHZ.tormentos

You just don't get it. It's not just about the clock speed. It about why it's at that clock speed. They are cutting corners on the CPU if the rumors are true. Like I said Laptop grade... Not PC grade.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 tormentos
Are these leaks again? Or the actual specs?freedomfreak
They claim to be,i don't know for sure but they give allot more details than the others.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22662 Posts
[QUOTE="Heil68"]Should be able to handle MS's direction

OMG!!! WANT!!!!
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="tormentos"]Clock speed means nothing.. A CPU with 1.6 clock speed can be more efficient that one that is clocked at 2.8,i am sure this CPU is way more effective than the Xenon which is 3 cores 6 threads at 3.2 GHZ.Truth_Hurts_U

You just don't get it. It's not just about the clock speed. It about why it's at that clock speed. They are cutting corners on the CPU if the rumors are true. Like I said Laptop grade... Not PC grade.

My buddy's laptop grade CPU, an underclocked i7 ivy bridge (clocked at like a max of 2.0 ghz) can play Shogun 2 total war and ArmA 2 no problem. You're severely under estimating what a lower clocked CPU can do.

Right now all processors are moving to lower clock speeds because of power consumption. With tablets and smart phones taking over, you cannot rely on power hungry CPUs. They can get quite a bit of performance out of those lower clocked CPUs.

Remember, the hardware makes a lot of decision on how to process info. While their clock speeds may be lower, they can still preform just as efficiently as higher clocked CPUs.

No PC game I have strains my 4.2 ghz 3770k processor at all. I rarely hit even 50% CPU utilization across 2 cores for even the most demanding games. There is a ton of overhead in the CPU department for gaming. They can give the consoles a processor with 1/8th of the power of my CPU and it will still be able to run games with some overhead.

They are cutting logical corners. Why waste money pumping up the hardware that games don't use? Games really just need lots of decently fast memory and a good GPU. CPUs haven't been a bottleneck for gaming for years. It's just that these massive GPUs get bottlenecked by slower CPUs.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts
[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="Heil68"]Should be able to handle MS's direction

OMG!!! WANT!!!!

Disneyland Adventures tonight?
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#61 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Considering the PS4 specs would not be way far,i say yes imaging Halo 4 on a console 6 times more powerful.tormentos

I know the RAM is really good. The rest I don't understand:PCheleman

Ok guys, thanks. This E3 will be so good!

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

[QUOTE="tormentos"]Clock speed means nothing.. A CPU with 1.6 clock speed can be more efficient that one that is clocked at 2.8,i am sure this CPU is way more effective than the Xenon which is 3 cores 6 threads at 3.2 GHZ.Truth_Hurts_U

Low freq because of heat.

Lots of cores to compensate for low freq.

Basically think of it as a 3.2Ghz Phenom II Quad (or whatever AMD's latest CPU is)

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Truth_Hurts_U

My buddy's laptop grade CPU, an underclocked i7 ivy bridge (clocked at like a max of 2.0 ghz) can play Shogun 2 total war and ArmA 2 no problem. You're severely under estimating what a lower clocked CPU can do.

Right now all processors are moving to lower clock speeds because of power consumption. With tablets and smartphones taking over, you cannot rely on power hungry CPUs. They can get quite a bit of performance out of those lower clocked CPUs.

Remember, the hardware makes a lot of decision on how to process info. While their clock speeds may be lower, they can still preform just as efficently as higher clocked CPUs.

Wasdie

And you gotta think here. This is not an intel processor. And it's 1.6 GHz.

They are not down clocking processor they are shrinking the die size to reduce power.

I bet a Core I3 desktop part will have more arsh then this rumoured CPU.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Truth_Hurts_U

Low freq because of heat.

Lots of cores to compensate for low freq.

Basically think of it as a 3.2Ghz Phenom II Quad (or whatever AMD's latest CPU is)

ZombieKiller7

Well, I'm telling you now, if this thing is real it's gonna be taped out in 3 years. Alot of slow cores arn't going to make devs happy.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 tormentos

There is also something call effectiveness,and while the CPU may seem even weaker of slower than the Xenon,it could be way more powerful and efficient,so if you have 2 CPU one 100 Gflops another 115 Gflops is easy to think one is faster than another,but that is not really the whole story,since this are peak performance numbers,actual practical number and efficiency could be way different. In fact maybe the 115Gflops CPU is 50% efficient,while the 100 Gflops one is 90% efficient... Also just because something is laptop doesn't mean is under power the 7970M GPU kick the living crap out of the xbox 360 and PS3.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44049 Posts

[QUOTE="Heil68"]Should be able to handle MS's direction  TheEroica
OMG!!! WANT!!!!

You and me both and even he's saying...

th?id=H.4876871813562681&pid=1.7

... Wow, That's Impressive :shock: :lol:

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Heil68

[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="Heil68"]Should be able to handle MS's direction  SecretPolice

OMG!!! WANT!!!!

You should play BL2 with us two sometime?
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Truth_Hurts_U

There is also something call effectiveness,and while the CPU may seem even weaker of slower than the Xenon,it could be way more powerful and efficient,so if you have 2 CPU one 100 Gflops another 115 Gflops is easy to think one is faster than another,but that is not really the whole story,since this are peak performance numbers,actual practical number and efficiency could be way different. In fact maybe the 115Gflops CPU is 50% efficient,while the 100 Gflops one is 90% efficient... Also just because something is laptop doesn't mean is under power the 7970M GPU kick the living crap out of the xbox 360 and PS3.tormentos

Given the specs of the romured processor I would put it at around 3 times the 360 CPU. Which isn't crap. If you follow mores law it should be 16+ times more powerful.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Right now all processors are moving to lower clock speeds because of power consumption. With tablets and smartphones taking over, you cannot rely on power hungry CPUs. They can get quite a bit of performance out of those lower clocked CPUs.

Remember, the hardware makes a lot of decision on how to process info. While their clock speeds may be lower, they can still preform just as efficently as higher clocked CPUs.

Truth_Hurts_U

And you gotta think here. This is not an intel processor. And it's 1.6 GHz.

They are not down clocking processor they are shrinking the die size to reduce power.

I bet a Core I3 desktop part will have more arsh then this rumoured CPU.

That's a lofty bet. Also you're ignoring the overhead a PC processor has to deal with. This is a focused CPU for gaming.

Devs this gen have said that it's not the CPU that has dragged the PS3/360 down, it was the weaker GPUs and the lower amount of RAM they had.

You have to stop comparing these consoles to PCs. They aren't. They don't have the same overhead or processing requirements that PC processors need. These are customized just for gaming and performance, not for compatibility.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44049 Posts

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="TheEroica"] OMG!!! WANT!!!!Heil68

I absolutely will umm, I finally did find some time this past weekend and did get to play some Halo 4 and even some old games I haven't played in a while like RDR and I do think I'm ready to get back to BL2 so perhaps later this week or the weekend. :)

fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 fernandmondego_

[QUOTE="tormentos"]There is also something call effectiveness,and while the CPU may seem even weaker of slower than the Xenon,it could be way more powerful and efficient,so if you have 2 CPU one 100 Gflops another 115 Gflops is easy to think one is faster than another,but that is not really the whole story,since this are peak performance numbers,actual practical number and efficiency could be way different. In fact maybe the 115Gflops CPU is 50% efficient,while the 100 Gflops one is 90% efficient... Also just because something is laptop doesn't mean is under power the 7970M GPU kick the living crap out of the xbox 360 and PS3.Truth_Hurts_U

Given the specs of the romured processor I would put it at around 3 times the 360 CPU. Which isn't crap. If you follow mores law it should be 16+ times more powerful.

2X1.5 is more like 32+X.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#72 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
fake. but even if true, that cpu will get destroyed by anything with scale. planetside 2 probably wouldn't even run on it if there are more than 2 platoons in the area.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Heil68

[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]You and me both and even he's saying...

SecretPolice

I absolutely will umm, I finally did find some time this past weekend and did get to play some Halo 4 and even some old games I haven't played in a while like RDR and I do think I'm ready to get back to BL2 so perhaps later this week or the weekend. :)

What timezone you in? We usually play around 8-9pm CST. I think we are under level 20 with our characters in BL2 as well.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 tormentos
You can't Use Gflops or TFlops to determine how powerful a console is.The 720 could be more then 6X stronger then the 360.super600
Oh you and i know this,but MS use Gflops and Tflops to measure performance even when they know that is not actually accurate,in fact way for the MS press conference and you will see not only MS but also sony doing the same thing both.. Also if you talk to be about Nvidia vs AMD i tell you OK fair enough,but we are talking about AMD GPU on both system with basically the same spec but difference in teraflops performance do to one having a weaker GPU than another,you can even go to Beyond3D and most will agree the PS4 will be faster based on GPU design been stronger..
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 tormentos
Given the specs of the romured processor I would put it at around 3 times the 360 CPU. Which isn't crap. If you follow mores law it should be 16+ times more powerful.Truth_Hurts_U
But that is the problem MS and sony are not interested in fallowing that law,because is better to profit from start or close than to loss a ton of money for years.
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Truth_Hurts_U

2X1.5 is more like 32X.fernandmondego_

Xbox 3.2 x 3 = 9.4 - GHZ Total

720 1.6 x 8 = 12.8 - GHz Total

Xbox 3 x 2 = 6 - Threads.

720 8 x 2 = 16 - Threads.

Threads are 15-25% more to processor speed. @ 20% it would be like 2 extra 360 cores.

Add on 1 extra core from the total GHz +1

2+1= 3 cores extra power. So it's 2 times right now.

Give improvements in architecture. Were going to bump it to 3 times. 4 at the most.

Far cry from 16x and even farther then your 32x.

fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 fernandmondego_

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"] 2X1.5 is more like 32X.Truth_Hurts_U

Threads are 15-25% more to processor speed. @ 20% it would be like 2 extra 360 cores.

Give improvements in architecture. Were going to bump it to 3 times. 4 at the most.

I'm talking about Moores law, isn't it double every 18months? That would be 32+X the 360.
Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
Not good enough, I want more power.fernandmondego_
dont forget the power of Kinect!
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 fernandmondego_

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"]Not good enough, I want more power.Nengo_Flow
dont forget the power of Kinect!

Like I said, I don't want anything crazy, just Quad i7s and Quad 7990s with 32-64GB of DDR4.

You think that will do 1080P and 60FPS?

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Truth_Hurts_U

I'm talking about Moores law, isn't it double every 18months? That would be 32+X the 360.fernandmondego_

It's 18-24... So 21 ave.

So 86 months devided by 21 = 4.09

2 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 16.

fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 fernandmondego_

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"] I'm talking about Moores law, isn't it double every 18months? That would be 32+X the 360.Truth_Hurts_U

It's 18-24... So 21 ave.

So 86 months devided by 21 = 4.09

2 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 16.

I've always heard it as 18 months and by the end of the year when this thing will be released it would be 32X. 16X would fit the ram at 8GB.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 tormentos

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"] 2X1.5 is more like 32X.Truth_Hurts_U

It doesn't work that way maybe you should read a little more there are several things wrong on your post,starting by 16 threads on the jaguar CPU,Jaguar is not dual threaded is 8 cores 8 threads.
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Truth_Hurts_U

It doesn't work that way maybe you should read a little more there are several things wrong on your post,starting by 16 threads on the jaguar CPU,Jaguar is not dual threaded is 8 cores 8 threads.tormentos

- each core has one fully independent hardware threadwith no shared execution resources

- each hardware thread can issue two instructions per clock

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 tormentos

[QUOTE="tormentos"] It doesn't work that way maybe you should read a little more there are several things wrong on your post,starting by 16 threads on the jaguar CPU,Jaguar is not dual threaded is 8 cores 8 threads.Truth_Hurts_U

- each core has one fully independent hardware threadwith no shared execution resources

- each hardware thread can issue two instructions per clock

Maybe a typo,if not even worst i don't even know why you compare them been 16 threads,speed has nothing to do with it and adding mhz and GHZ isn't quite how it works.. But as far as i know Jaguar is not dual thread so if in deed has 8 core 16 thread that would be a great customization..
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Truth_Hurts_U

Maybe a typo,if not even worst i don't even know why you compare them been 16 threads,speed has nothing to do with it and adding mhz and GHZ isn't quite how it works.. But as far as i know Jaguar is not dual thread so if in deed has 8 core 16 thread that would be a great customization..tormentos

Because it can run 2 operation in 1 clock cycle. Which is 2 threads it can handle.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 tormentos

[QUOTE="tormentos"] Maybe a typo,if not even worst i don't even know why you compare them been 16 threads,speed has nothing to do with it and adding mhz and GHZ isn't quite how it works.. But as far as i know Jaguar is not dual thread so if in deed has 8 core 16 thread that would be a great customization..Truth_Hurts_U

Because it can run 2 operation in 1 clock cycle. Which is 2 threads it can handle.

But that is not as having 2 threads per core. Also remember what i told you about efficiency.? Well i was reading now on Beyond3d,that the GPU on the 720 will achieve nearly 100% efficiency,compare that to the xbox 360 60% and you get the idea...
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#89 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Loosey is going to be upset if this were true!

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

Wii U 1.5 confirmed. :lol:
Good enough specs for Kinect v2.0 :lol:

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts

DrTrafalgarLaw
Eurogamer claims the PS4 will have: -Eight-Core CPU clocked @1.6Ghz based off AMDs Jaguar tech. -4GB RAM with 512MB RAM reserved for OS. It isnt clear how the remaining 3.5GB RAM would be split among system/video memory. -AMD GPU clocked around 800Mhz i love how cows always end up looking like butthurt idiots :cool:
Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Kingpin0114
Member since 2008 • 2607 Posts

Sounds like a WiiU on a lot of steroids.

With all that RAM, Open world games should do well on this.

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

[QUOTE="Desmonic"]

Even if they got every single detail completely right, until MS says so and shows us their next console all these rumours are exactly that...just rumours.

Having said that, if those were the specs (or close to the real thing) I don't think anyone would be disappointed to be honest. Seems pretty good IMO.

Inconsistancy

I'd be disappointed.

I would be Very, Very disappointed. There better be 2 SOC in that Durango...........

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"] I'd be disappointed. Truth_Hurts_U

Ditto... Those specs are not impressive.

Exactly, They're not even par with the mid range PCs nowadays.

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

DrTrafalgarLaw

More like Wii U 3.0 and even thats sad when the performance of the Wii U is Comparable to the 360 and PS3.

Thank you Nintendo for making consoles the **** they are going to be because you succesfully launched the Wii.

360 = 250Gflops X 16 = 4 Tflops. Thats what Nextgen should bring but if MS and Sony want to be conservative then 2.5 Tflop - 3 Tflops would be acceptable.

1.2 Tflops is GARBAGE.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#96 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

ESRAM? Sounds like the crown jewl of ram.

Only having 32mb's doesn't sound that great though. Also the minimum I was expecting for the blu-ray drive at least on the PS4 was 8x, so the PS4 may have Durango beat in every area except CPU. Which is a very good thing.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#97 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

DrTrafalgarLaw

Xbox 1.5 all over again? Haters were owned hard once, why insist?

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Tessellation

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"]

PAL360

don't worry is PS 1.5 U if we use cows logic too..both console share pretty similar hardware according to rumors 1.6 Ghz CPU etc... cows see small numbers and automatically = crap.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 tormentos
[QUOTE="PAL360"]

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"]

Tessellation

don't worry is PS 1.5 U if we use cows logic too..both console share pretty similar hardware according to rumors 1.6 Ghz CPU etc... cows see small numbers and automatically = crap.

They share a CPU,the ram,gpu and configuration are different,i know is a little hard to understand but been a PC guy like you claim to be it should not be that hard to get..:lol:
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Tessellation
[QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="PAL360"]

tormentos

They share a CPU,the ram,gpu and configuration are different,i know is a little hard to understand but been a PC guy like you claim to be it should not be that hard to get..:lol:

No wonder why people makes fun of you and your english...but you also lack of reading skills..what part of similar hardware you don't understand? i never say anything about its configuration.lol you're a moron :cool: