Wolfenstein New Order - limited "edition" (?) SCAM!

#1 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9031 posts) -

I can't believe something like that could have happened, courtesy of Eurogamer:

Here's something a little different: Bethesda has just announced the Wolfenstein: The New Order Panzerhund Edition - and it doesn't come with a copy of the game.

The Panzerhund Edition is a Bethesda Store exclusive, Bethesda told Eurogamer. There it costs $100, but it will ship worldwide.

For that you get a vintage footlocker-style box with a stamped number plate right above the antiqued clasp. Inside is an exclusive Steelbook, 14 weathered-looking postcards of the shooter's alternative history, a pretend classified folder containing 11 pretend classified documents, replica dog tags, three embroidered patches and an 8", hand-painted articulated Panzerhund statue - but not copy of the game.

Why? According to the product listing:

"This collector's edition does not include a copy of the game. Keep your pre-order at your favourite retailer and we'll send you these goodies separately - this way we can ship these boxes worldwide and you're not stuck waiting for your game to come along with an oversized, expensively shipped box."

It's slightly confusing wording, so we double checked with Bethesda, and yes, the game is sold separately.

So, if you want the Wolfenstein: The New Order Panzerhund Edition and a copy of the game, you need to buy the game from a shop (around £50 on PS4 or Xbox One) and then the Panzerhund Edition from the Bethesda store (around £60). You'll also need to fork out international shipping costs, which according to Bethesda's website amount to $60 (around £36).

So, all in all, if you want the Wolfenstein: The New Order Panzerhund Edition and a copy of the game, expect to pay around £150.

Or, you know, you could just buy the Wolfenstein: The New Order Panzerhund Edition on its own.

#2 Posted by sukraj (23060 posts) -

I'm not buying this it should have come with the game.

#3 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (9031 posts) -

@sukraj said:

They should have had at least the dignity to include a digital copy in this Panzerhund Edition.

#4 Posted by stationplay_4 (443 posts) -

bethesda announces elder scrolls online $60 with monthly subscription plus the imperial edition with its exclusive race. wtf and now this. the downward spiral into money-grubbing shit has begun. the road to redemption will only be found in fallout 4. if it's not a buggy unplayable mess.

#6 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (7422 posts) -

This works perfect for me since I want all the L.E. items but not the game. Lol

#7 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (5146 posts) -

A special edition version of the game without the game.

That's one way to do it.

#8 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16666 posts) -

Limited edition looks good. Would buy it if it was the same price but with the game.

Without the game though, it doesn't seem that interesting for the price.

#9 Edited by AznbkdX (3226 posts) -

Its not really a scam tbh (well if you consider le's not a scam to begin with haha). You are probably paying the same amount separate or together with the game... hopefully. They probably should change the name from panzerhund edition just because it just sounds funny for what it is.

#10 Posted by foxhound_fox (88760 posts) -

Not surprised.

This is the same company that is charging $40 extra for an unlockable race in their MMO.

#11 Posted by WallofTruth (1748 posts) -

And what the hell is a Panzerhund? Tankdog? What's that even supposed to mean...

#12 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9031 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

Not surprised.

This is the same company that is charging $40 extra for an unlockable race in their MMO.

The worst thing is - people would still buy it... :/

#13 Posted by donalbane (16363 posts) -

It was very forward thinking, and we are going to see more of this... or at least I hope so. I've gone all digital, and now I don't have to miss out on collector's editions any more. If it came with the game on a disc, it would preclude other digital only people.... this way everyone can access it. If you think it's too expensive, don't buy it and get on with your day.

#14 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10144 posts) -

LOL. so whats the point of selling limited edition if it not inculde actual game??

#15 Posted by freedomfreak (40997 posts) -

Now that's funny.

#16 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16666 posts) -

@walloftruth said:

And what the hell is a Panzerhund? Tankdog? What's that even supposed to mean...

Robot dog

#17 Posted by clr84651 (5487 posts) -

@stationplay_4 said:

bethesda announces elder scrolls online $60 with monthly subscription plus the imperial edition with its exclusive race. wtf and now this. the downward spiral into money-grubbing shit has begun. the road to redemption will only be found in fallout 4. if it's not a buggy unplayable mess.

Elder Scrolls is a game I wasn't interested in. Any game that charges to play online I stay away from. I will be buying the regular plain Wolfenstein game.

#18 Posted by _Matt_ (8924 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Now that's funny.

And quite scary.

When collector's editions of games don't actually include the game... then it's time to worry

#19 Posted by Heil68 (45224 posts) -

"This collector's edition does not include a copy of the game."

hahah fuck off.

#20 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25612 posts) -

The Premise of this just reeks of Failure.

#21 Posted by adamosmaki (9656 posts) -

hey bathesda since the reason you gave is "this way we can ship these boxes worldwide and you're not stuck waiting for your game to come along with an oversized, expensively shipped box"

How about for those poor souls then give them a digital copy of the game if they buy the $100 limited edition

#22 Posted by lostrib (37770 posts) -

This sounds extra dumb

#23 Posted by CrashNBurn281 (424 posts) -

A collectors edition of the game, that does not contain the game. Brilliant I tell you. Brilliant!

#24 Posted by blackace (20890 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries: I won't be buying this. I probably won't get the game either. lol!!

#25 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3617 posts) -

That's just fucking greedy.

#26 Edited by limpbizkit818 (15042 posts) -

I would love to see their projected sales figures for this. I can't imagine many people would want this.

#27 Posted by StrifeDelivery (1638 posts) -

@limpbizkit818 said:

I would love to see their project sales figures for this. I can't imagine many people would want this.

"Sir, we just got the sales numbers, and they are shockingly low. No one in the office can think of a reason why."

"I'm as dumbfounded as you are, Johnson. This was to be a surefire thing."

#28 Posted by EducatingU_PCMR (739 posts) -

This is actually not that bad for people that like this kind of stuff.

It just shouldn't be called a "Collectors Edition" and should explicitly say in big red letters that it does not contain the game.

For people that buy digital this is great. You pre-load the game and start playing while the extras get shipped to you.

Besides, this is platform agnostic, so there's no PS3/360/PC stickers on the items or in the box. You just order the game for your platform of choice and then complement it with the only available "CE".

From a $$$ standpoint it's great also. They (Bugthesda) don't have to customize the boxes with Sony or M$ logos all around.

#29 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2604 posts) -

Collector's Editions in general are mostly scams. You pay up to 100$ more for something you're going to look at maybe twice, when you can just pay 60 bucks for the game you want and leave it at that.

Very rarely have I found people who are happy they purchased collector's editions after the first week or so.

#30 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26913 posts) -

I was reading about this from a user who retweeted this. It reminded him of this "giveaway" (and I can see why).

#31 Posted by sukraj (23060 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@sukraj said:

They should have had at least the dignity to include a digital copy in this Panzerhund Edition.

Yeah I totally agree

#32 Posted by WallofTruth (1748 posts) -

How is it a scam though? They're clearly stating that the game is not included, so who are they fooling/scamming?

#33 Posted by BattleSpectre (6236 posts) -

A scam would be if they didn't warn you it came without the game.

#34 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9031 posts) -

Since the convo already devolved into grasping at straws then I'll tell you how: they called this piece of merchandise "an edition"!

#35 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2746 posts) -

WTF were they thinking?

#36 Edited by GarGx1 (2776 posts) -

I guess with the new generation of consoles several companies are seeing where they can push the boundaries. Bethesda does seem to be at the fore front of this experimentation. ESO has full price game, monthly sub and cash shop. Now Wolfenstein collectors has no game included (I seriously doubt this will affect too many people though). We also have the latest 2 hour demo for MGS selling for $30 and Free 2 play games coming out on consoles behind a Sony/MS paywall.

All we can do is vote with our money, if you like these practices then pay the men, if you don't like them keep your cash.

#37 Posted by clyde46 (46634 posts) -

Thats a piss poor excuse. Not with Steam and given that both the X1 and the PS4 have a Digital Store front, there is literally no reason why they don't slip in a leaflet with a code on it.

#38 Posted by quakke (191 posts) -

Well it's atleast better to have some collectable stuff for games like WTNO for the people who are collectors, than stuff like CoD.

#39 Edited by Gargus (2147 posts) -

Don't like it? Don't buy it. It really is that simple.

You cant say whats a scam or not when you aren't forced to buy it because one persons value is not the same as someone elses.

Besides dead space 3 did the same thing and no one complained. And what about artbooks? Is it a scam to pay extra money for a book of a games art when the game isn't included? Tshirts? Minecraft foam pick axes don't come with the game either. What about figures? Or any number of other things that are game related that don't include the game? You can still buy wolfenstein by itself. But most gamers are self entitled little shits that are never happy with anything and want nothing more than to complain about the most insignificant shit possible.