With tvs like samsung's 8 series on the rise, why do we need X1?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts

Just saw the Cnet review of the new samsung 8 series tv and it has the same voice/hand gesture functionality as the kinect. So if this becomes the norm for tv's,  then the X1 becomes a bit redundant? Not right away ofcourse, but the X1's unique sellingpoint might be gone in just a few years.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Video games. It's a video game console. Besides, you don't need it. Don't like it, don't buy it.
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9839 Posts
With the X1 coming out why do we need new TVs like this Samsung series? Microsoft can provide a much more unified system since they have such a huge chunk of the OS market.
timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

If you buy an XB1 why would you need to spend money on the TV?

CJ_ofCamelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 CJ_ofCamelot
Member since 2013 • 2072 Posts
[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Video games. It's a video game console. Besides, you don't need it. Don't like it, don't buy it.

timbers_WSU
lol
timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 timbers_WSU
[QUOTE="CJ_ofCamelot"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]Video games. It's a video game console. Besides, you don't need it. Don't like it, don't buy it.

timbers_WSU
lol

Great comeback. You are an asset to your family.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
It's cheaper.
CJ_ofCamelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CJ_ofCamelot
More reliable.
shadowlusterx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 shadowlusterx
Member since 2008 • 295 Posts

Cable providers are also integrating a lot of that functionality into their cable boxes, but with more functionality sometimes: http://wwwb.comcast.com/x1

^This has DVR. It is instantly more useful for TV stuff.

CJ_ofCamelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CJ_ofCamelot
Looks like everybody with a camera is rocket scientist now LOL
Avatar image for deactivated-585ea4b128526
deactivated-585ea4b128526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-585ea4b128526
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts
Because ms is going to bombard you with product placement, until every 12+ year old is begging for this system. Samsung, not so much.
CJ_ofCamelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CJ_ofCamelot
PS4 > Wiiu > Samsung TV > Xbox TV
shadowlusterx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shadowlusterx

Because ms is going to bombard you with product placement, until every 12+ year old is begging for this system. Samsung, not so much.joehult

Samsung actually spends a crap load on advertising.

We are entering the era of Advertising>Product Quality, or rather, it is already here.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

for halo

heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts

[QUOTE="CJ_ofCamelot"][QUOTE="Blabadon"] [QUOTE="timbers_WSU"]

timbers_WSU

lol

Great comeback. You are an asset to your family.

lol

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Why do we need any of this shit?

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
Not only does it not do half the things the xbox does, it's also $4000.
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Video games. It's a video game console. Besides, you don't need it. Don't like it, don't buy it.

Microsoft didn't focus entirely on games at their reveal event tho. What makes you think it'll be a video game console?
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Blabadon
[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]Video games. It's a video game console. Besides, you don't need it. Don't like it, don't buy it.

Microsoft didn't focus entirely on games at their reveal event tho. What makes you think it'll be a video game console?

Because Microsoft has released some of the best games of the past two generations on their games consoles; their latter console has more games on it than its closest competitor, the PS3, and it has the highest games attach rate of any console last generation.
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

People have just been upgrading to HDTVs, you think they're going to start buying these new Smart TVs when they could just buy a box (such as the LOVELY XOne :P) and turn their TV into something even better than Smart TVs?

Ive played around with quite a few of them and boy do their user interfaces leave a lot to be desired.

Also add to the fact that the Xbox service will be getting exclusive TV content (NFL) and shows (like netflix) AND that its a games console

tumblr_mgx91hEUG31qbvx0xo1_500.gif

with $1 BILLION worth of gamer-centric content on the way, and there are plenty of reasons to buy the Xbox.

:lol:

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Because lemmings still have money and we need someone to take it away from them.
musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

Speaking of which I found this great article on Xbox one and microsoft and how they tend to make products that don@t always make sense

http://www.savecontinue.com/2013/05/why-microsoft-thinks-the-xbox-one-makes-sense/

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

People have just been upgrading to HDTVs, you think they're going to start buying these new Smart TVs when they could just buy a box (such as the LOVELY XOne :P) and turn their TV into something even better than Smart TVs?

Ive played around with quite a few of them and boy do their user interfaces leave a lot to be desired.

Also add to the fact that the Xbox service will be getting exclusive TV content (NFL) and shows (like netflix) AND that its a games console

tumblr_mgx91hEUG31qbvx0xo1_500.gif

with $1 BILLION worth of gamer-centric content on the way, and there are plenty of reasons to buy the Xbox.

:lol:

RR360DD
Xbox One has far to much on a smart tv. Its a one round knockout for Xbox One. Core gaming leading the charge, as wel;l as turning whatever tv you already have into Samsungs smart tv, lol :)
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
To play videogames on your XBone DVR.
percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts
What a moronic thread. X1 will play relevant games and will cost a fraction of the amount.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Blabadon
What a moronic thread. X1 will play relevant games and will cost a fraction of the amount.percech
Now you see how we feel about your threads
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

Because most people buy a tv once every 5-8 years, and haven't felt the need to buy another one despite the industry tossing in everything(3d, smart tv function, etc.) into new sets. Besides, these tvs are rarely updated and have some of the worst netflix, huliu and amazon apps around.

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 percech
[QUOTE="percech"]What a moronic thread. X1 will play relevant games and will cost a fraction of the amount.Blabadon

My threads add depth to this place and always garner heated discussions. I should have you banned for spreading such lies.
Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
its a sad day me defending xboxone....but 500 dollar console over a 2000 dollar television
timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 timbers_WSU
Because lemmings still have money and we need someone to take it away from them.kuraimen
And then there is you. No money, no console.........
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Blabadon
[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="percech"]What a moronic thread. X1 will play relevant games and will cost a fraction of the amount.percech

My threads add depth to this place and always garner heated discussions. I should have you banned for spreading such lies.

I can't recall any heated discussions in your threads that weren't about pancakes or waffles.
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Because most people buy a tv once every 5-8 years, and haven't felt the need to buy another one despite the industry tossing in everything(3d, smart tv function, etc.) into new sets. Besides, these tvs are rarely updated and have some of the worst netflix, huliu and amazon apps around.

MFDOOM1983

Previous smart TV's seemed useless to me because of how limited/broken alot of them were, but Samsung is basically taking tablet class processor (same in XBone) and Android operating system right into the TV. Definitely positive steps in the evolution of Smart TV's IMO. Hell in 5 years, whatever tablet processor they throw into their smart TV's will probably be more powerful than the console chips. :lol:

Non-gamers wouldn't need an external device at all. No Roku. No XBone. No PS4. This is definitely going to be the future as far as television goes. It's so obvious, I'm sure it won't take long for these types of features to fill all classes of TV's - not just the high end ones. 

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

its a sad day me defending xboxone....but 500 dollar console over a 2000 dollar television stereointegrity

Television doesn't have XBOX LIve fees. :lol:

Plus you need a television anyway. I dont' think the OP is saying that people are deciding between a XBone and a Television at all. However obviously, if a person just bought one of these Samsung TV's with Quad core and Android... the TV/Kinect features of the XBone suddenly become ALOT less interesting. 

The XBOX One is marketed as the "one box you need" for TV and online apps. When in fact we aren't far off from not needing any set-top box at all. 

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18249 Posts

Here is the thing, we don't need an XB1.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RR360DD

[QUOTE="stereointegrity"]its a sad day me defending xboxone....but 500 dollar console over a 2000 dollar television 2Chalupas

Plus you need a television anyway. I dont' think the OP is saying that people are deciding between a XBone and a Television at all. However obviously, if a person just bought one of these Samsung TV's with Quad core and Android... the TV/Kinect features of the XBone suddenly become ALOT less interesting. 

The XBOX One is marketed as the "one box you need" for TV and online apps. When in fact we aren't far off from not needing any set-top box at all. 

We're still like 10 years off, and thats plenty of time for the XOne to thrive. Its more of a stepping stone between normal HDTVs and Smart TVs in that regard.

But don't forget its still very much a games console. The specs might not be at the top like the PS4, but it can certainly compete.

Oh, and are there any smart TVs with the cloud behind them!? :lol: 

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RR360DD

Here is the thing, we don't need an XB1.

madsnakehhh
We don't need a PS4 either :P
shadowlusterx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 shadowlusterx

[QUOTE="2Chalupas"]

[QUOTE="stereointegrity"]its a sad day me defending xboxone....but 500 dollar console over a 2000 dollar television RR360DD

We're still like 10 years off, and thats plenty of time for the XOne to thrive. Its more of a stepping stone between normal HDTVs and Smart TVs in that regard.

But don't forget its still very much a games console. The specs might not be at the top like the PS4, but it can certainly compete.

Yes. All of them have internet access and thus the cloud behind them. Weird question?
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Blabadon
[QUOTE="RR360DD"]

[QUOTE="2Chalupas"]

shadowlusterx

Yes. All of them have internet access and thus the cloud behind them. Weird question?

Whoa, big difference
shadowlusterx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 shadowlusterx
[QUOTE="shadowlusterx"][QUOTE="RR360DD"]

Blabadon

Whoa, big difference

In what?
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

timbers_WSU
soon all you be able buy is a smart t.v So why you need x1
pcgamingowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 pcgamingowns
Member since 2013 • 1223 Posts

Xbox only does tv
Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Supabul
Member since 2004 • 4266 Posts

That TV looks awesome

I don't know why MS are focusing on TV and NFL, I'm not bothered with it and with Smart TV's and Sky Sports what is the point

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 percech

That TV looks awesome

I don't know why MS are focusing on TV and NFL, I'm not bothered with it and with Smart TV's and Sky Sports what is the point

Supabul
they'r not forcing anything. God, gamers are the biggest cry babies on the internet.
LordSadic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LordSadic
Member since 2010 • 298 Posts

That TV looks awesome

Supabul

Yes because having options is bad, its like saying I won't play games on a PC because it has all that other features that I don't have use for. SMH

Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Supabul
Member since 2004 • 4266 Posts

[QUOTE="Supabul"]

That TV looks awesome

LordSadic

Yes because having options is bad, its like saying I won't play games on a PC because it has all that other features that I don't have use for. SMH

God damn, why do I post in the one place there's Xbox Fanboys
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
Those are too expensive atm, but give it 2-3 years and most mid range TVs will have that functionality, rendering the XBone obsolete
LordSadic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LordSadic
Member since 2010 • 298 Posts

God damn, why do I post in the one place there's Xbox FanboysSupabul

So now it takes being reasonable to get called an Xbox Fanboy, next time you will get called a NINTY fanboy for talking nonsense Oh wa....

nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#48 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts

for halo

AmnesiaHaze
No, just no
Avatar image for stereointegrity