With tvs like samsung's 8 series on the rise, why do we need X1?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by trasherhead (3058 posts) -

Just saw the Cnet review of the new samsung 8 series tv and it has the same voice/hand gesture functionality as the kinect. So if this becomes the norm for tv's,  then the X1 becomes a bit redundant? Not right away ofcourse, but the X1's unique sellingpoint might be gone in just a few years.

#2 Posted by Blabadon (26348 posts) -
Video games. It's a video game console. Besides, you don't need it. Don't like it, don't buy it.
#3 Posted by Sushiglutton (5303 posts) -
With the X1 coming out why do we need new TVs like this Samsung series? Microsoft can provide a much more unified system since they have such a huge chunk of the OS market.
#4 Posted by timbers_WSU (5753 posts) -

If you buy an XB1 why would you need to spend money on the TV?

#5 Posted by CJ_ofCamelot (1764 posts) -
[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Video games. It's a video game console. Besides, you don't need it. Don't like it, don't buy it.

timbers_WSU
lol
#6 Posted by timbers_WSU (5753 posts) -
[QUOTE="CJ_ofCamelot"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]Video games. It's a video game console. Besides, you don't need it. Don't like it, don't buy it.

timbers_WSU
lol

Great comeback. You are an asset to your family.
#7 Posted by funsohng (27924 posts) -
It's cheaper.
#8 Posted by CJ_ofCamelot (1764 posts) -
More reliable.
#9 Posted by shadowlusterx (295 posts) -

Cable providers are also integrating a lot of that functionality into their cable boxes, but with more functionality sometimes: http://wwwb.comcast.com/x1

^This has DVR. It is instantly more useful for TV stuff.

#10 Posted by CJ_ofCamelot (1764 posts) -
Looks like everybody with a camera is rocket scientist now LOL
#11 Posted by joehult (366 posts) -
Because ms is going to bombard you with product placement, until every 12+ year old is begging for this system. Samsung, not so much.
#12 Posted by CJ_ofCamelot (1764 posts) -
PS4 > Wiiu > Samsung TV > Xbox TV
#13 Posted by shadowlusterx (295 posts) -

Because ms is going to bombard you with product placement, until every 12+ year old is begging for this system. Samsung, not so much.joehult

Samsung actually spends a crap load on advertising.

We are entering the era of Advertising>Product Quality, or rather, it is already here.

#14 Posted by AmnesiaHaze (5683 posts) -

for halo

#15 Posted by heeweesRus (5609 posts) -

[QUOTE="CJ_ofCamelot"][QUOTE="Blabadon"] [QUOTE="timbers_WSU"]

timbers_WSU

lol

Great comeback. You are an asset to your family.

lol

#16 Posted by heretrix (37382 posts) -

Why do we need any of this shit?

#17 Posted by Overlord93 (12602 posts) -
Not only does it not do half the things the xbox does, it's also $4000.
#18 Posted by AAllxxjjnn (19988 posts) -
[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Video games. It's a video game console. Besides, you don't need it. Don't like it, don't buy it.

Microsoft didn't focus entirely on games at their reveal event tho. What makes you think it'll be a video game console?
#19 Posted by Blabadon (26348 posts) -
[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]Video games. It's a video game console. Besides, you don't need it. Don't like it, don't buy it.

Microsoft didn't focus entirely on games at their reveal event tho. What makes you think it'll be a video game console?

Because Microsoft has released some of the best games of the past two generations on their games consoles; their latter console has more games on it than its closest competitor, the PS3, and it has the highest games attach rate of any console last generation.
#20 Posted by RR360DD (11952 posts) -

People have just been upgrading to HDTVs, you think they're going to start buying these new Smart TVs when they could just buy a box (such as the LOVELY XOne :P) and turn their TV into something even better than Smart TVs?

Ive played around with quite a few of them and boy do their user interfaces leave a lot to be desired.

Also add to the fact that the Xbox service will be getting exclusive TV content (NFL) and shows (like netflix) AND that its a games console

tumblr_mgx91hEUG31qbvx0xo1_500.gif

with $1 BILLION worth of gamer-centric content on the way, and there are plenty of reasons to buy the Xbox.

:lol:

#21 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
Because lemmings still have money and we need someone to take it away from them.
#22 Posted by musalala (2215 posts) -

Speaking of which I found this great article on Xbox one and microsoft and how they tend to make products that don@t always make sense

http://www.savecontinue.com/2013/05/why-microsoft-thinks-the-xbox-one-makes-sense/

#23 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

People have just been upgrading to HDTVs, you think they're going to start buying these new Smart TVs when they could just buy a box (such as the LOVELY XOne :P) and turn their TV into something even better than Smart TVs?

Ive played around with quite a few of them and boy do their user interfaces leave a lot to be desired.

Also add to the fact that the Xbox service will be getting exclusive TV content (NFL) and shows (like netflix) AND that its a games console

tumblr_mgx91hEUG31qbvx0xo1_500.gif

with $1 BILLION worth of gamer-centric content on the way, and there are plenty of reasons to buy the Xbox.

:lol:

RR360DD
Xbox One has far to much on a smart tv. Its a one round knockout for Xbox One. Core gaming leading the charge, as wel;l as turning whatever tv you already have into Samsungs smart tv, lol :)
#24 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
To play videogames on your XBone DVR.
#25 Posted by percech (5237 posts) -
What a moronic thread. X1 will play relevant games and will cost a fraction of the amount.
#26 Posted by Blabadon (26348 posts) -
What a moronic thread. X1 will play relevant games and will cost a fraction of the amount.percech
Now you see how we feel about your threads
#27 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -

Because most people buy a tv once every 5-8 years, and haven't felt the need to buy another one despite the industry tossing in everything(3d, smart tv function, etc.) into new sets. Besides, these tvs are rarely updated and have some of the worst netflix, huliu and amazon apps around.

#28 Posted by percech (5237 posts) -
[QUOTE="percech"]What a moronic thread. X1 will play relevant games and will cost a fraction of the amount.Blabadon

My threads add depth to this place and always garner heated discussions. I should have you banned for spreading such lies.
#29 Posted by stereointegrity (10724 posts) -
its a sad day me defending xboxone....but 500 dollar console over a 2000 dollar television
#30 Posted by timbers_WSU (5753 posts) -
Because lemmings still have money and we need someone to take it away from them.kuraimen
And then there is you. No money, no console.........
#31 Posted by Blabadon (26348 posts) -
[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="percech"]What a moronic thread. X1 will play relevant games and will cost a fraction of the amount.percech

My threads add depth to this place and always garner heated discussions. I should have you banned for spreading such lies.

I can't recall any heated discussions in your threads that weren't about pancakes or waffles.
#32 Posted by 2Chalupas (5117 posts) -

Because most people buy a tv once every 5-8 years, and haven't felt the need to buy another one despite the industry tossing in everything(3d, smart tv function, etc.) into new sets. Besides, these tvs are rarely updated and have some of the worst netflix, huliu and amazon apps around.

MFDOOM1983

Previous smart TV's seemed useless to me because of how limited/broken alot of them were, but Samsung is basically taking tablet class processor (same in XBone) and Android operating system right into the TV. Definitely positive steps in the evolution of Smart TV's IMO. Hell in 5 years, whatever tablet processor they throw into their smart TV's will probably be more powerful than the console chips. :lol:

Non-gamers wouldn't need an external device at all. No Roku. No XBone. No PS4. This is definitely going to be the future as far as television goes. It's so obvious, I'm sure it won't take long for these types of features to fill all classes of TV's - not just the high end ones. 

#33 Posted by 2Chalupas (5117 posts) -

its a sad day me defending xboxone....but 500 dollar console over a 2000 dollar television stereointegrity

Television doesn't have XBOX LIve fees. :lol:

Plus you need a television anyway. I dont' think the OP is saying that people are deciding between a XBone and a Television at all. However obviously, if a person just bought one of these Samsung TV's with Quad core and Android... the TV/Kinect features of the XBone suddenly become ALOT less interesting. 

The XBOX One is marketed as the "one box you need" for TV and online apps. When in fact we aren't far off from not needing any set-top box at all. 

#34 Posted by madsnakehhh (14403 posts) -

Here is the thing, we don't need an XB1.

#35 Posted by RR360DD (11952 posts) -

[QUOTE="stereointegrity"]its a sad day me defending xboxone....but 500 dollar console over a 2000 dollar television 2Chalupas

Plus you need a television anyway. I dont' think the OP is saying that people are deciding between a XBone and a Television at all. However obviously, if a person just bought one of these Samsung TV's with Quad core and Android... the TV/Kinect features of the XBone suddenly become ALOT less interesting. 

The XBOX One is marketed as the "one box you need" for TV and online apps. When in fact we aren't far off from not needing any set-top box at all. 

We're still like 10 years off, and thats plenty of time for the XOne to thrive. Its more of a stepping stone between normal HDTVs and Smart TVs in that regard.

But don't forget its still very much a games console. The specs might not be at the top like the PS4, but it can certainly compete.

Oh, and are there any smart TVs with the cloud behind them!? :lol: 

#36 Posted by RR360DD (11952 posts) -

Here is the thing, we don't need an XB1.

madsnakehhh
We don't need a PS4 either :P
#37 Posted by shadowlusterx (295 posts) -

[QUOTE="2Chalupas"]

[QUOTE="stereointegrity"]its a sad day me defending xboxone....but 500 dollar console over a 2000 dollar television RR360DD

We're still like 10 years off, and thats plenty of time for the XOne to thrive. Its more of a stepping stone between normal HDTVs and Smart TVs in that regard.

But don't forget its still very much a games console. The specs might not be at the top like the PS4, but it can certainly compete.

Yes. All of them have internet access and thus the cloud behind them. Weird question?
#38 Posted by Blabadon (26348 posts) -
[QUOTE="RR360DD"]

[QUOTE="2Chalupas"]

shadowlusterx

Yes. All of them have internet access and thus the cloud behind them. Weird question?

Whoa, big difference
#39 Posted by shadowlusterx (295 posts) -
[QUOTE="shadowlusterx"][QUOTE="RR360DD"]

Blabadon

Whoa, big difference

In what?
#40 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

timbers_WSU
soon all you be able buy is a smart t.v So why you need x1
#41 Posted by pcgamingowns (1277 posts) -

Xbox only does tv
#42 Posted by Supabul (3862 posts) -

That TV looks awesome

I don't know why MS are focusing on TV and NFL, I'm not bothered with it and with Smart TV's and Sky Sports what is the point

#43 Posted by percech (5237 posts) -

That TV looks awesome

I don't know why MS are focusing on TV and NFL, I'm not bothered with it and with Smart TV's and Sky Sports what is the point

Supabul
they'r not forcing anything. God, gamers are the biggest cry babies on the internet.
#44 Posted by LordSadic (298 posts) -

That TV looks awesome

Supabul

Yes because having options is bad, its like saying I won't play games on a PC because it has all that other features that I don't have use for. SMH

#45 Posted by Supabul (3862 posts) -

[QUOTE="Supabul"]

That TV looks awesome

LordSadic

Yes because having options is bad, its like saying I won't play games on a PC because it has all that other features that I don't have use for. SMH

God damn, why do I post in the one place there's Xbox Fanboys
#46 Posted by BPoole96 (22801 posts) -
Those are too expensive atm, but give it 2-3 years and most mid range TVs will have that functionality, rendering the XBone obsolete
#47 Posted by LordSadic (298 posts) -

God damn, why do I post in the one place there's Xbox FanboysSupabul

So now it takes being reasonable to get called an Xbox Fanboy, next time you will get called a NINTY fanboy for talking nonsense Oh wa....

#48 Posted by nightshade869 (3457 posts) -

for halo

AmnesiaHaze
No, just no
#49 Posted by stereointegrity (10724 posts) -
my 2013 samsung 7000 does have voice commands but god it sucks
#50 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
we dont.