With the next gen consoles??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts
What is the one thing that you feel must be achieved to take the generation of gaming to the next level? Maybe there is more than one thing, but it seems to me that gaming PC's are so far ahead of consoles at this point and are relatively less expensive when you talk cash layout for performance. By that I mean the PS3 came out at $699 and outside of the diehard fans, had abysmal sales for a long time. I cant imagine that MS or Sony will be able to build a console that will be atleast on par with current top of the line gaming rigs for anything under $499 at best. Maybe Nintendo has the right idea with the Wii-U. If that console can have visuals as good as what the 360 and PS3 are currently displaying but have them running at 1080p natively and if they can keep the price point under $400, they might be the ones to beat.
zeldisco2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 zeldisco2009
Member since 2009 • 554 Posts

yes Wii U will turn PS 4 and Xbox 720 into the latest versions of Dreamcasts in terms of commercial success.

Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

yes Wii U will turn PS 4 and Xbox 720 into the latest versions of Dreamcasts in terms of commercial success.

zeldisco2009

You read the entire post, and that's what you came up with? Apparently, you have no clue as to why the Dreamcast failed. :|

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

zeldisco2009

LOL, I seriously doubt that.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts

Consoles can achieve the same results with a fraction of the hardware power because of the dedicated OS system and architecture.

So if MS and Sony release consoles in say 2013 with hardware remotely close to the most powerful PC the results will be comparable if not better.

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ActionRemix
Member since 2011 • 5640 Posts
1080p is not going to be a system seller. Graphics and games.
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

zeldisco2009

Frankly, holding a huge tablet in my hands to play a game for hours, is the single worst thing that could happen to gaming for me

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

MS will focus on Kinect and Windows 8, Sony will stay traditional, and Nintendo gonna do that thing with the controller, to put it frankly. Better graphics is a given, and maybe the hardware will allow developers to make games not dip in framerate, but i don't know about that.

Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

1080p is not going to be a system seller. Graphics and games.ActionRemix

This is what I was thinking.

We'd probably see anti-aliasing being implemented more often next-gen though.

Maybe 720p at 60fps (or 30fps) with at least 4xMSAA or 1080p at 30fps with zero AA. Depending on who the dev is of course.

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

720p is does not even have 1 million pixels even a cheap card like the 6750 could do it no problem. 1080p should be easy to come by in 2012-2013

Smileyvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Smileyvirus
Member since 2010 • 232 Posts
I think personally in the next gen or the one after, graphics will no longer be a priority. Graphic and physic engines look to me to be getting to near realistic levels anyway, and I have to wonder what more they can do with it. I think within the next two generations more will be made of multimedia like online streaming services, rentals, cloud gaming (boo hiss), net access, etc etc. We already have most of this, but consoles are quite rightly atm restricted badly on what they can do due to hardware. Next gen will have the above multimedia, MMO's i think will finally debut properly on consoles, and there may be more customisation like HDDs and expandable ram modules. The good old worn out PC vs Console arguments I truly believe will become moot as soon they will be more or less one machine.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts

I think personally in the next gen or the one after, graphics will no longer be a priority. Graphic and physic engines look to me to be getting to near realistic levels anyway, and I have to wonder what more they can do with it. I think within the next two generations more will be made of multimedia like online streaming services, rentals, cloud gaming (boo hiss), net access, etc etc. We already have most of this, but consoles are quite rightly atm restricted badly on what they can do due to hardware. Next gen will have the above multimedia, MMO's i think will finally debut properly on consoles, and there may be more customisation like HDDs and expandable ram modules. The good old worn out PC vs Console arguments I truly believe will become moot as soon they will be more or less one machine.Smileyvirus
I disagree with the graphics part. I think we are a good two decades away from having life-life graphics in games. Especially multiplayer games and MMOs.

I agree with the multimedia player stuff other than cloud gaming. The infrastructure sucks in the U.S. for it (we aren't South Korea), you need fast internet, and you need to be within 100 miles or so to have a good experience. I would argue cloud gaming, as a competitive gaming medium, is even further away then life-like graphics.

And I don't see why MS, Sony or Nintendo would promote cloud gaming on a console especially since digital downloads are already here and will be a bigger force next generation.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

zeldisco2009

The Wii-U is not going to be #1. Probably not even #2. The casuals had their fun with Wii, but there's no evidence that they are going to shell out a few hundred bucks more to get a one with a "-U" and an iPad wannabe controller. That doesn't mean the system will fail, but lightning is not going to strike twice. Wii came out before smart phones and facebook had revolutionized the casual game market. It tapped into a market that no-one else was exploiting in a big way, but now they have to compete with what people already have on the phones in their pockets and on their computers which they already own, plus there are plenty of people who are satasfied with their Wii and have no interest in upgrading. The original Wii was a novel concept that had never been tried before, but the Wii-U is trying to crystalize a bunch of ideas that everyone else is already doing in hopes of hanging on to a market that is rapidly slipping away. Nintendo had their time in the sun, but now it's time to go back into the shade.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

720p is does not even have 1 million pixels even a cheap card like the 6750 could do it no problem. 1080p should be easy to come by in 2012-2013

dontshackzmii

But with 720p you can always have 2x better visuals and effects, so developers will never go for something useless like 1080p than making a game 2x better looking

WyteCollaCrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WyteCollaCrim
Member since 2011 • 244 Posts
The next gen consoles will end up being more powerful than PC's. It's about $11 to manufacture those high end cpus and gpus.
ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ActionRemix
[QUOTE="WyteCollaCrim"]The next gen consoles will end up being more powerful than PC's. It's about $11 to manufacture those high end cpus and gpus.

Don't be mad when MW4 is Wii U exclusive.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

My console should greet me.

Like the taxi in The Fifth Element.Won't buy if they don't include this.

WyteCollaCrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 WyteCollaCrim
Member since 2011 • 244 Posts
[QUOTE="ActionRemix"][QUOTE="WyteCollaCrim"]The next gen consoles will end up being more powerful than PC's. It's about $11 to manufacture those high end cpus and gpus.

True that could be possible, but MW4 would make it's way to all the next gen systems, since acitivision love money. But the truth is, it's only about $11 to makes those high end chips and gpus in a console, the iphone 4s, cost $118 to make, next gen consoles will end up using something more powerful than what current pcs have out, so devs will be developing amazing games for it. MW4 will end up probably not even coming to PC.
ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ActionRemix
Even if that 11 dollar number is true for manufacturing cost you have to factor in the engineering and capital costs.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts
from a processing perspective i want to see GPGPU made available on all consoles next gen. the GPUs in all of them should be able to do it and hardware accelerated physics, AI and whatever else devs can think of would be nice. higher resolutions and higher res textures with prettier explosions is....well its getting a bit boring now. its nice but its not really that interesting. put that horsepower to use doing something else in games. even just properly rendered and moving hair and clothes. could be a nice trick. if they can apply it to improving or adding to the nuts and bolts of a game then even better.
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

I want a launch title, or a year after the launch, to be more technically impressive than the Samaritan Demo.

It will be done. On at least one Console :P

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
What is the one thing that you feel must be achieved to take the generation of gaming to the next level? Maybe there is more than one thing, but it seems to me that gaming PC's are so far ahead of consoles at this point and are relatively less expensive when you talk cash layout for performance. By that I mean the PS3 came out at $699 and outside of the diehard fans, had abysmal sales for a long time. I cant imagine that MS or Sony will be able to build a console that will be atleast on par with current top of the line gaming rigs for anything under $499 at best. Maybe Nintendo has the right idea with the Wii-U. If that console can have visuals as good as what the 360 and PS3 are currently displaying but have them running at 1080p natively and if they can keep the price point under $400, they might be the ones to beat. ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Where you from that the PS3 was $699? Here in America it was $599 at launch.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I would like NEW game design. I love Halo but the entire fps genre is tiring by now. It reminds me of how things ended up with the sidescrollers towards the end of the snes/gen era. The next gen, with the N64, introduced analog control. People were freaked out by it--"WHERE'S MY DPAD!!!" In fact, the dpad was on there just in case the analog control didn't catch on.

So yes, NEW stuff, but also a return to form perhaps. I'd love to see a focus on gameplay over theatrics.

andri_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 andri_g
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I don't like to say it but it looks like more companies will move away from dedicated console game development to portable game development (the PS Vita is coming and its specs are impressive...).
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

[QUOTE="ActionRemix"][QUOTE="WyteCollaCrim"]The next gen consoles will end up being more powerful than PC's. It's about $11 to manufacture those high end cpus and gpus.WyteCollaCrim

True that could be possible, but MW4 would make it's way to all the next gen systems, since acitivision love money. But the truth is, it's only about $11 to makes those high end chips and gpus in a console, the iphone 4s, cost $118 to make, next gen consoles will end up using something more powerful than what current pcs have out, so devs will be developing amazing games for it. MW4 will end up probably not even coming to PC.

Consoles will not be more power full than pcs unless you want to pay a 1grand for console and then the console will be come worthless becuase they will try another 10 year cycle

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

speaking of this i just helped a buddy build a new pc from scratch for $650 (with windows) and i would bet anything the next gen systems won't match its performance.

we had never built one before so i was suprised it was so easy. it took 3 hours to put it together and plug in all the connectors and bam finished.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

speaking of this i just helped a buddy build a new pc from scratch for $650 (with windows) and i would bet anything the next gen systems won't match its performance.

we had never built one before so i was suprised it was so easy. it took 3 hours to put it together and plug in all the connectors and bam finished.

Riverwolf007

Im even betting if you did it again you could do it in an hour or less.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

[QUOTE="ActionRemix"][QUOTE="WyteCollaCrim"]The next gen consoles will end up being more powerful than PC's. It's about $11 to manufacture those high end cpus and gpus.WyteCollaCrim

Impressive lack of general knowlage there I think ^.-

Sure those parts might not cost more to produce, but neither MS NOR Sony produces those things themselves, so they will pay whatever the manufactor demands of them, and since there is a very finite amount of parts engineers, they have very little places to go. The overall price has fallen, on such componants for the manufactor, but that goes for PCs aswell, kind of always gone hand in hand. Mass orders will reduce the price, but you will STILL end up with a 600$ console, which no one will buy due to the financial climate

And then we have the heat and power thing, yet again. As powerful as the cutting age Pcs at the time? Yeah, and you will have a console that roasts within a few months due to the extremely high heat output compared to the tiny box the consoles are in.

So no it won't happen. Neither of those, If they DO stuff all those high grade chipsets and power into a console, you can bet that it will cost around 600 bucks again, and you can bet that it will have failure rates like we saw with the 360 last time.

Besides, Sony have gone out to say that the consumer should not expect a uge leap next gen (atleast not a 600 buck console, by what they stated). MS have said very little.

The next gen of consoles WILL get a high hike in power, but I somehow doubt that it will be anything near what the fanboys belive. The optimazion of the consoles is what will count, but judging by this gen, that the weakest console took home the gold, I am quite sure both MS and Sony are thinking "why spend so much cash on hardware, when people are interrested in the games?"

And the notion that they will be more powerful then the Pcs? that makes me laugh, PC has taken leaps the last few years, by the time the parts are in the console ,till it being in stores, PC tech have leaped again, and once again, we will see what always happens, the consoles are good at launch, on par with a med/high pc, and quickly be a techwise footnote.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

edinsftw

Im even betting if you did it again you could do it in an hour or less.

lol, yeah we were saying the same thing as we fumbled about checking and rechecking manuals and instructions to makes sure we were doing it right.

it was funny to me that it took so much longer to dl all the games and os and hardware updates and whatnot than to build the system.