With Hindersight and retrospect, was Bioshock 2 better than Infinite?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

uninspiredcup  Online

Poll With Hindersight and retrospect, was Bioshock 2 better than Infinite? (47 votes)

Yes Bioshock 2 was better 45%
Bioshock Infinite big masterpeice 55%

When Bioshock 2 was released it was largely written off as a bad cash in. Even though it improved Bioshocks mechanics greatly, had a richer, and more original story (as opposed to SS2) and a man who drilled peoples faces in.

When Bioshock Infine was released it was the most best thing ever, and we all had to get on our knees and worship as Jesus game. Hack, Adam Sessler made an extremely long pretentious video sucking it off and using big words to seem scholarly.

Now we are in the future (present), is Bioshock 2 to be re-evaluated as "the chosen one"? And Bioshock Infinite, actually, massively overrated? Or is this just edgy hipster talk?

Help.

• 
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52448 Posts

I've always thought Bioshock 2 was better than Infinite. In some ways, even better than the first game.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19585 Posts

I never played Bioshock 2, but Bioshock Infinite had a weak story and even weaker gameplay.

So... I'll vote for Bioshock 2, assuming that the gameplay was half-decent?

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#3 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

Nah, Bioshock infinite was better, Bioshock 2 felt like Bioshock 1.5 honestly, not much creativity was put behind it, Bioshock infinite managed to tick all my boxes.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24990 Posts

how about they both suck?

Prey is better SS2 successor. bioshock infinite is definitely among the worst AAA FPS ever made. almost as bad as wolfenstein 2, medal of honor 2010 and warfighter.

theres alternate GS review

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/bioshock-infinite-a-fan-scorned/1900-6415464/

tom mcshea some up correctly.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I prefer the original BioShock... the first play through was amazing and I loved the world that it created. BioShock 2 was more of the same to me but it lost the first time appeal that you got with the first game, and BioShock Infinite while being a good game fell short of the hype in my opinion and I found most of the combat tedious especially the final battle and lady Comstock.

I would rate them as follows:

• Bioshock = 9.5
  • Bioshock 2 = 9.0
  • Bioshock Infinite = 8.5
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46486 Posts

Bioshock 2 is the best one in the series.

Obviously Bioshock one was the first one so the wow factor was bigger, the way the story was told was totally unique and minblowing, but Bioshock 2 just has many more improvements to the gameplay.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Infinite was easily the worst one IMO, I wasn't a fan of that game at all. I liked the first one the most but I think it was the novelty of it. Bioshock 2 did a bit more and was probably the better game.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I loved Bioshock 1&2, but Infinite was just awful IMO, with one of the worst endings in modern gaming. If it wasn't for the girl (the only good part of the game) I would have never finished it.

Bioshock 2 had better gameplay and a better story/ending, vastly superior IMO.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

What's with all the hate for Infinite? It's the best Bioshock game by far. 1 started off strong but got boring. 2 was so mediocre I never even finished it.

None of them are as good as System Shock 2. Especially if you played System Shock 2 back in 1999 when it came out like I did. Now that was a mind blowing game!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k

Well at least there's one thing worse than Bioshock Infinite.

And that's Burial at Sea.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

Overall best game: Bioshock 1

Best gameplay: Bioshock 2

Mindfcks: Infinite + DLC's

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Well at least there's one thing worse than Bioshock Infinite.

And that's Burial at Sea.

Burial at Sea is what redeemed Infinite imo.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

I beat like 50% of Bioshock before I got bored and just YouTubed the ending. I confirmed it sucked and didn’t miss out on much.

I played 1 hour of Bioshock 2 and never touched it again.

I beat Bioshock Infinite and love me every minute of it. Infinite is easily the best of the series.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I preferred Bioshock 2, Infinite is the least favorite of mine out of the 3 but I still really liked it, I just prefer the other 2. Also BioShock to me is when it is underwater, Infinite barely felt like the other 2. BioShock 1 is still my favorite out of the 3

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#15 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

All I remember is when Bio 2 came out there was a call for MP in more games, which is why this one had it. Years later there is a call for SP tacked onto MP strong games like Battlefront 2.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Macutchi  Online
Member since 2007 • 10495 Posts

i'd go with bioshock, infinite and bioshock 2 in that order, although i enjoyed all three.

i thought infinite was really good. it didn't weave plot and themes as convincingly as bioshock and there were some overly lengthy combat sequences but i found those things didn't really detract all that much from the overall impact of the game

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44624 Posts

I liked them all, but Bioshock 2 I'd always remembered as the weakest link. I actually enjoyed it much more this time around. It just has some neat stuff the others don't. Upon replaying the first two recently, I felt the original dragged on a bit too long. I felt Bioshock 2 had a nice solid length.

I don't feel ready to say Infinite was better until I replay the current remaster. But my guess is that is what I might say. From what I recall, it does more for what the first game did with more focus on the narrative, and it makes a greater effort to put light onto this new world they created, which Bioshock 2 didn't really need to do as muh as we already got introduced to Rapture in the first game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#18  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I don't think is a great game but I still love the story and setting. 2 I've never played.

Wirrexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Wirrexx
Member since 2003 • 1738 Posts

Bioshock infinity was good.. not great.. or supergood. good. a solid 7/10. Bioshock 1/2 (10 for the first and 8.5 for the second). Had just more to them. Better stories, gameplay, was more interesting. The infinity had to many endless combats!

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#20 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Nah

Infinite was better. The Babysitting in BioShock 2 killed it for me but it still had its moments

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Infinite is the best in the series for me.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22390 Posts

I think Bioshock 2 was definitely underappreciated, but I still think Infinite is the better game overall.

But Bioshock 1 is still the king.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

BioShock > Infinite > BioShock 2.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Yes I think so. I just recently replayed all three remastered versions - all great games but Infinite is the weakest link.

Columbia just isn't as interesting as Rapture.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25 Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

Richer story? The story was meh at best. And the villian was bland. It was just a game about "muh Communist is as bad as capitalism".

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#26 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14499 Posts

Never did play Bioshock 2, even though I have the game on both PC and PS4.

I don't think I have the fortitude or free time to commit to a playthrough, I'll just have to go find a LP somewhere on Youtube.

Infinite, meanwhile, is one of my favorite games ever.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14926 Posts

Time to drop a knowledge bomb.

Fact is that Arkane Studio actually worked on Bioshock 2, and elements from that game seem to be in Dishonored and Prey.

The influence on the players choices in regards to how Eleanor reacts leads to Emily Kaldwin later. And Prey has the Big Sister elements in the form of Nightmares.

Bioshock 2 also heavily influenced games like Gone Home and Tacoma and helped influence and entire new genre.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 texasgoldrush

@freedomfreak said:

I've always thought Bioshock 2 was better than Infinite. In some ways, even better than the first game.

It is, because your choices actually matter and in the end Eleanor chooses based on how you played the game.

@calvincfb said:

Richer story? The story was meh at best. And the villian was bland. It was just a game about "muh Communist is as bad as capitalism".

WRONG

Its about how a parent can influence a child. The "collectivist" is just a backdrop. And if you want to talk about bland, try Fontaine and Comstock.

@RR360DD said:

Yes I think so. I just recently replayed all three remastered versions - all great games but Infinite is the weakest link.

Columbia just isn't as interesting as Rapture.

Infinite is objectively terrible. Its basically a game that tried to kill the immersive sim. The story is completely idiotic, with idiotic characters, contrived plotting, and a horrible treatment of subject matter.

It doesn't hold up and saying otherwise simply put is a failure to actually examine the game.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Everything is better than Infinite.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14815 Posts

I enjoyed all three. Bioshock 2 was my least favourite though. I played them all in order and I think I was just getting tired of the same atmosphere.

@Sgt_Crow said:

BioShock > Infinite > BioShock 2.

That's how I would rate them.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15581 Posts

Most people on forums shit on Infinite but there isn't much justification to it so I usually just assume they are idiots who want to be contrarians for a game that is both popular but also a one and done, flavor of the month experience. Making it a more appealing target than something with a more dedicated and long lasting fanbase.

Between these two games I would say Infinite is better, but to be perfectly honest I wouldn't say either of these is super-amazing, nor is the first Bioshock game. In fact, I don't particularly like the first game. They're all above average to very good though.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R4gn4r0k

@cainetao11 said:

All I remember is when Bio 2 came out there was a call for MP in more games, which is why this one had it. Years later there is a call for SP tacked onto MP strong games like Battlefront 2.

Nobody asked for a tacked on SP like what Battlefront II had.

That was both awful and split into two parts, it's really unprecedented.

When people asked for a singleplayer Star Wars, I think people were refering to Jedi Knight or KOTOR.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Basinboy: So you'll waste almost the same amount of time watching a let's play rather then spend that time playing the game...wtf?!?

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Infinite Is better, but neither games are masterpieces

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Bioshock and Infinite are masterpieces to me, some of the best games ever. Bioshock 2 was merely good, and felt too familiar. Not bad either though, not by any means.

Can't understand how anyone could rate 2 anywhere except 3rd place, but that's why opinions are fun :)

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#36 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24990 Posts

@Vaasman said:

Most people on forums shit on Infinite but there isn't much justification to it so I usually just assume they are idiots who want to be contrarians for a game that is both popular but also a one and done, flavor of the month experience. Making it a more appealing target than something with a more dedicated and long lasting fanbase.

Between these two games I would say Infinite is better, but to be perfectly honest I wouldn't say either of these is super-amazing, nor is the first Bioshock game. In fact, I don't particularly like the first game. They're all above average to very good though.

THeres lot of reason to hate infinte.

only good thing is its setting is unique. i give you that

but shooting is awful like one of the worst ever, level design is heavily scripted, story is not that good.

and for a game to consider one of best FPS of all time. it fail at 2 important things shooting and level design.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15581 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

THeres lot of reason to hate infinte.

only good thing is its setting is unique. i give you that

but shooting is awful like one of the worst ever, level design is heavily scripted, story is not that good.

and for a game to consider one of best FPS of all time. it fail at 2 important things shooting and level design.

@Vaasman said:

Most people on forums shit on Infinite but there isn't much justification to it so I usually just assume they are idiots

I rest my case.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56269 Posts

The only thing I love Bioshock 2 vs 1 & 3 is the fact you are Big Daddy and not only that, the Drill is what made the gameplay more fun in many ways, I enjoy using the Drill attack throughout Bioshock 2. Plus, Bioshock 2 felt like a true sequel done right, right after the first game.

Bioshock Infinite felt like a step back from the previous 2 games and I felt Ken Levine wasn't even trying anymore. But I will say Elizabeth as an A.I partner work really well compare to Ellie from The Last of Us.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#39 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14499 Posts

@vfighter: I won’t watch all of it naturally, plus it allows me to multitask

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19585 Posts

@Vaasman: I usually strongly disagree with Sniper, but he is correct in this case.

Infinite's gameplay was bland. All of the fun guns from Bioshock were replaced with rifles, pistols and shotguns. The core new gameplay mechanic, the grappling hook, was very poorly implemented - you could sometimes race around these relatively small loops to regenerate your health, and the small loops themselves made no sense in the context of being the city's transport system. Your AI partner did little more than throw ammunition at you, which was a big step down from, say, Half-Life 2. And the set-pieces? I hardly remember them, besides some awful repetitive boss fight in a graveyard.

The setting itself was fine, even if the story abandoned it half-way through, so none of the themes or social critiques were explored in detail. It also didn't make any sense that Booker was shocked by a 1920s US city that had institutionalised racism, but hey, the whole game is full of headscrathers like that.

As for the story...where to start? It was set up like a typical story about a revolution in a dystopian city, but that story arc is completely forgotten about in the second half of the game. Then it became a personal father/daughter story, but the central characters were so poorly written that I had no reason to care about Booker or his redemption. Finally, it tried to be a sci-fi mindscrew, but the authors forgot that you can't have absolute rules and finite endings in a universe that also has infinite alternate worlds, and they fell into a bottomless pit of plot holes while trying to find an ending to the story.

All up, it was a pretentious game that was underbaked in most areas. Most criminally, It gave us no reason to care about the setting or characters, but the run-of-the-mill gunplay didn't help.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Seems to be this narrative that Infinite was worthless. But the poll shows there is a silent majority here that shows otherwise. It's gunplay is lacking, but the story and setting more than make up for it for me. Number 2 was just so familiar. It felt like an expansion pack not a new game.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@DocSanchez said:

there is a silent majority here that shows otherwise

Nixon is always right in the end!

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#43 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

Bio2 was always a better game. Infinite was pretentious bunk that I just couldn't get into. Of course I was saying bio2 was great when it came out, when people here were bashing it for not being made by the original designer.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#44 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59139 Posts

@Midnightshade29 said:

Of course I was saying bio2 was great when it came out, when people here were bashing it for not being made by the original designer.

I was also doing this.

We're really cool dudes.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By texasgoldrush

@Planeforger said:

@Vaasman: I usually strongly disagree with Sniper, but he is correct in this case.

Infinite's gameplay was bland. All of the fun guns from Bioshock were replaced with rifles, pistols and shotguns. The core new gameplay mechanic, the grappling hook, was very poorly implemented - you could sometimes race around these relatively small loops to regenerate your health, and the small loops themselves made no sense in the context of being the city's transport system. Your AI partner did little more than throw ammunition at you, which was a big step down from, say, Half-Life 2. And the set-pieces? I hardly remember them, besides some awful repetitive boss fight in a graveyard.

The setting itself was fine, even if the story abandoned it half-way through, so none of the themes or social critiques were explored in detail. It also didn't make any sense that Booker was shocked by a 1920s US city that had institutionalised racism, but hey, the whole game is full of headscrathers like that.

As for the story...where to start? It was set up like a typical story about a revolution in a dystopian city, but that story arc is completely forgotten about in the second half of the game. Then it became a personal father/daughter story, but the central characters were so poorly written that I had no reason to care about Booker or his redemption. Finally, it tried to be a sci-fi mindscrew, but the authors forgot that you can't have absolute rules and finite endings in a universe that also has infinite alternate worlds, and they fell into a bottomless pit of plot holes while trying to find an ending to the story.

All up, it was a pretentious game that was underbaked in most areas. Most criminally, It gave us no reason to care about the setting or characters, but the run-of-the-mill gunplay didn't help.

This is so dead on but lets add a few more things.

The whole notion of morally equating the Vox and Daisy to Comstock was downright gross. Not only did it not explore its social themes in detail, it fucks up royally with "Bothsideism". I see why they retconned it in Burial At Sea but the damage is done.

And lets also not forget that Infinite's plot basically rips off Bioshock 2's. Basically a father figure (Delta, Booker) is trying to rescue his daughter (Eleanor, Elizabeth) from the religious cult leader (Sofia Lamb, Comstock) who is trying to make her their legacy. But while Bioshock 2 is smart, Infinite is idiotic. The word for Infinite is "pseudo-intellectual", stupidity trying to act smart.

And Burial At Sea is where Levine wanks off to Elizabeth getting tortured all game. Nevermind that he never establishes why we should care about Elizabeth trying to rescue the little sister.

I want to piss all over Bioshock Infinite. Games like this are a cancer to the industry. its funny and so awesome that this game killed the series. It was a successful failure. It did well sales wise and initial critical reception, but it ended the studio and likely the series. Games like Prey and Dishonored, which build off of Bioshock 2 are better anyway,

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 texasgoldrush

@Midnightshade29 said:

Bio2 was always a better game. Infinite was pretentious bunk that I just couldn't get into. Of course I was saying bio2 was great when it came out, when people here were bashing it for not being made by the original designer.

Who needs the original designer? Lol

http://bioshock.wikia.com/wiki/Arkane_Studios

I really wish they or Fullbright take over the series if it continues.