With Consoles stealing the Indie thunder away from PCs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

.. do you believe MODs are next? There are a handful of games that let you create in game content, but not to such and extent that you're truly altering the actual code. Do you believe developers will open up more the the gaming Picasso's out there.. and make the PC even more irrelevant?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

No, nor is PC even close to irrelevant

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

No, I really don't think that's gonna happen. Mods need the advantage of an open-platform. One that can be upgraded at all times.

At best, you'll see some low-end stuff, like the models in that one UT game.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61466 Posts

@lostrib said:

@freedomfreak said:

No, I really don't think that's gonna happen. Mods need the advantage of an open-platform. One that can be upgraded at all times.

Best answers to this thread.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 OhSnapitz

@freedomfreak:

..but isn't that normal practice on consoles now. Blink and you'll miss the latest update.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 freedomfreak
@OhSnapitz said:

..but isn't that normal practice on consoles now. Blink and you'll miss the latest update.

Yeah, but they're just updates, aren't they?

"hey, we added MP3 support!"

But nothing that allows players to mess about with the lighting, or go all out and create new worlds. That static hardware just doesn't allow it.

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

@lostrib said:

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46171 Posts

Consoles haven't stolen anything, because it's not gone.

You could say they pirated indie games ;)

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

So dumb...

As far as mods are concerned you have more of a chance of installing 21" rims on your grandma than you do of being able to mod console games

And i thought according to you numpty fanboys it was "lol indies" so, they actually matter now?

And how does consoles getting a few more indies than before make the PC irrelevent?

Is there ever a chance of these asshats making decent threads?

Will timmy ever find out who murderd his mother?

Tune in next week to find out!

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Modding in a general sense on consoles is not possible since its a closed environment. Custom made mods can cause performance issues, stability issues and consolers are not going to put up with those things because you cant just fix it yourself. The type of modding and or creation abilities will be features we have seen in the past like map creators, changing skins and adding your or custom faces to characters.

Consoles are stealing indies.....

For every "new indie" that comes to consoles there is two dozen more on pc so yeah its not stealing any thunder.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

microsoft and sony will never allow total mod support without having some kind of control over it..which kinda defeats the point.

and what thunder has consoles taken? indie gaming is still best on the PC.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

Yes, the desktop pc is becoming more and more irrelevant as they continue to fade as the relics they are. Indie devs are finding it just makes more sense to move their titles to consoles.

The final argument for owning a gaming pc is disappearing.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

You need a pc to create mods silly. Also its not the devs stopping mods on console it's Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. You consolites are so ignorant with no clue about the way the world works.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

@xboxdone74 said:

Yes, the desktop pc is becoming more and more irrelevant as they continue to fade as the relics they are. Indie devs are finding it just makes more sense to move their titles to consoles.

Kind of funny, smart phones are doing the same to consoles ;) No one wants an ugly box under the home theatre.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

good redance indie games are garbage

Also mods will never happen on consoles.Why? Because dlc

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

@xboxdone74: console gaming will die before pc gaming. Wii u is a failure. Sony will eventually go belly up and at some point ms will decide to stop losing money. Meanwhile gaming pcs and hardware are growing and will continue to grow as more players mature both in mind and wallet and seek the best possible gaming experience.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Loading Video...

Master Chief been play on a lego level with a 3rd person mode on PS3 UT3...

It just requires that MS allows it,which i don't think will ever happen,sony use to but was never widely accepted,that stage,character and gameplay perspective are not on stock UT 3 is a mod.

Edit.

Any one saying consoles can't support modes are fooling them self it already happen people on UT3 and mods make on PC were compatible with the PS3,obviously a rule most have to be fallow the maps had to be done on certain size because of the PS3 ram limitation.

Loading Video...

UT3 Mario 2D mod on PS3.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Dude you are grasping at straws here . Few 3-4 years old indie games and port of 1994 SNES game "Punny Squad" doesn't make any platform irrelevant . I think PC is going to be more relevant this generation than last gen . Why .?

Rise of digital distribution , Huge number of Steam Users , Steam OS , Mantle , DX 12 , Console's PC architecture and so on . Last gen PC had lot of great PC developers like Flying Wild Hog , CD Projekt Red , Massive Entertainment , Monolith , Creative Assembly , Blizzard , Valve etc . This time I think more new devs will come to PC because of reasons that I mentioned earlier .

Last generation Crytek had released Crysis on PC after one year of PS3 release . Both PS3 and Xbox 360 were comparable to top of the line PCs at their release , yet Crytek had stated that Crysis won't be possible on consoles . It took them 4 years , a new engine , copy paste gameplay from Crysis 2 , Downgraded visuals , and Half assed map to finally make Crysis playable on those consoles in 2011 . Then there were guys from Flying Wild Hog that never released Hard Reset on consoles because they stated the exact same thing . This time I expect more devs to do the same .

This time consoles are low-mid range PCs with tablet CPU and mid range GPU . Both consoles have disappointed a lot of people and I expect more (new/old) developers to release their games on PC as this GDC survey shows .

We should also keep in mind that PC gaming is now bigger than all consoles combined .

http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/read/pc-games-have-surpassed-console-games-globally/033849

As nVIDIA stated 2 years ago when everybody said that they are just "Butthurt"

www.pcgamer.com/au/2011/09/23/nvidia-says-pc-games-to-overtake-consoles-by-2014/

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

Modding in a general sense on consoles is not possible since its a closed environment. Custom made mods can cause performance issues, stability issues and consolers are not going to put up with those things because you cant just fix it yourself. The type of modding and or creation abilities will be features we have seen in the past like map creators, changing skins and adding your or custom faces to characters.

Consoles are stealing indies.....

For every "new indie" that comes to consoles there is two dozen more on pc so yeah its not stealing any thunder.

But hey , low frame rates are better because "it makes the game more cinematic" .

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

@OhSnapitz said:

and make the PC even more irrelevant?

PC will always lead, and consoles will always catch up.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tormentos

@Maddie_Larkin said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Kind of funny, smart phones are doing the same to consoles ;) No one wants an ugly box under the home theatre.

Where are smart phones doing the same to consoles.? Last i time i check the PS4 was selling at a record breaking pace,now from what i read portable sales are suffering..

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 freedomfreak
@tormentos said:

It just requires that MS allows it,which i don't think will ever happen,sony use to but was never widely accepted,that stage,character and gameplay perspective are not on stock UT 3 is a mod.

Edit.

Any one saying consoles can't support modes are fooling them self it already happen people on UT3 and mods make on PC were compatible with the PS3,obviously a rule most have to be fallow the maps had to be done on certain size because of the PS3 ram limitation.

UT3 Mario 2D mod on PS3.

Yeah, you just proved my point.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By tormentos

@freedomfreak said:
@tormentos said:

Edit.

UT3 Mario 2D mod on PS3.

Yeah, you just proved my point.

he problem with mods on consoles is that you still need a PC side to make the modes,on UT 3 it work because the community was there making mods,on other games it may not but is possible to do it..

Mods are great and is one thing i miss from my PC days,i had more than 100 mods for C&C alone..

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

"stealing the thunder"? lol no. ps4 is merely headed for the right direction, but it's still not even close.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Certain mods are possible, but the limitations of the hardware will keep most any mod from being possible on consoles. Graphical mods, or large content mods would need extra dev time just to get them running on consoles.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By freedomfreak
@tormentos said:

he problem with mods on consoles is that you still need a PC side to make the modes,on UT 3 it work because the community was there making mods,on other games it may not but is possible to do it..

Mods are great and is one thing i miss from my PC days,i had more than 100 mods for C&C alone..

So, you need a PC, and modding on the same level is just not gonna happen because of the hardware.

And yes, modding can be cool. Nude mods and such.

7MDMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By 7MDMA
Member since 2014 • 315 Posts

Please take the indies; take em all.

The only thing console is stealing is the immature (mostly under 18), lower socio-economic fanbase aka peasants who need "convenience" and a cheap, budget gaming solution like the PS4. There are literally no advantages to owning any single console over a PC short of a very small amount of exclusive games (mainly cinematic games without much repayability.)

Anyone with money and common sense would have no business using consoles as a primary gaming platform, let alone an exclusive one.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 XboxDone74

@IgGy621985: Your Caesar knows you meant the other way around. PC will always trail behind consoles, since pc receives late ports of consoles games, or not at all, must sign petitions for ports, and came in last in goty exclusives for gen 7.

Carry on, citizen.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

@xboxdone74: Nope.

Also, I was talking about gaming trends, and consoles will always catch up in that department.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@7mdma said:

There are literally no advantages to owning any single console over a PC short of a very small amount of exclusive games (mainly cinematic games without much repayability.)

this, goddammit. i hate it. boring gameplay combined with multi-million-dollar presentation and BAM, it's SOLD to the gentleman in the back wearing cap sideways.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By XboxDone74

@7mdma: When owning a single console nets you the best games of the gen, then there is all the advantage of owning one over a pc. And it doesn't matter how hard you cry, the cinematic games were some of the most highly awarded, and the most awarded of all time last gen, and not available on pc.

Replayability means nothing, unless you are a budget gamer, who's finances do not allow you to partake in many games, or at retail price. Your Caesar has no need to partake in budget gaming.

Carry on, citizen.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@xboxdone74 said:

@IgGy621985: Your Caesar knows you meant the other way around. PC will always trail behind consoles, since pc receives late ports of consoles games, or not at all, must sign petitions for ports, and came in last in goty exclusives for gen 7.

Carry on, citizen.

Your' self titling of Caesar is fitting, most Roman rulers were delusional and/or insane as well.

Carry on preaching on mighty overlord of salad seasoning.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@xboxdone74 said:

@7mdma: When owning a single console nets you the best games of the gen, then there is all the advantage of owning one over a pc. And it doesn't matter how hard you cry, the cinematic games were some of the most highly awarded, and the most awarded of all time last gen, and not available on pc.

Replayability means nothing, unless you are a budget gamer, who's finances do not allow you to partake in many games, or at retail price. Your Caesar has no need to partake in budget gaming.

Carry on, citizen.

so your ban finally got lifted, huh? must feel great. for a while atleast...

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By XboxDone74

@groowagon: You're Caesar is confused, citizen, as I was never banned, and have done nothing that warrants a banning. I sometimes have other businesses to attend to other than addressing my loyal subjects on sw.

Carry on, citizen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@xboxdone74 said:

@groowagon: You're Caesar is confused, citizen, as I was never banned, and have done nothing that warrants a banning. I have other businesses to attend to other than addressing my loyal subjects on sw.

Carry on, citizen.

it's your, not you're.

your royal failness, you should feed that writer assistant to the lions. sure, i bet you have no idea who @console_caesar is.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

Nice. You realize PC just eclipsed the revenue of all consoles cpmbined right? Right now, cpnsole gaming is growing at a radical function rate. It's growing right now but it will flat out and eventually die. Consoles are for casual gamers and as tablets get more and more popular, the millions that just want to play COD wont want a 500 dollar box in their living room.

Additionally, if you think the 2 indie games PS4 has is equal to stealing from the 20 indie games on PC released every day, you're retarded.

And mods on consoles? Give me a break. Anyone here saying this is possible is completely dillusional. Mods require an open system and power. Considering games are already pushing the PS4, nothings going to be able to be added to it. And browsing a mod store with a controller? System wars is full on retarded

Some of you fit the ignorant, casual, and generally stupid stereotype of console gamers far too well.

milannoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By milannoir
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

If anything, it's console gaming that's becoming irrelevant. I've never seen a new console gen so unappealing.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@milannoir said:

If anything, it's console gaming that's becoming irrelevant. I've never seen a new console gen so unappealing.

the more consoles try to be like pcs, the less they appeal to me. They used to offer something unique alongside my desktop/laptop, now they seem like shitty PCs

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 OhSnapitz

@milannoir said:

This I don't understand.. EVERY gen starts off this way. It's like gamers have alzheimers or something. However I will agree that more and more games are being made cross platform. This makes it difficult to purchase more than 1 system. Having said that.. Only having one system will make you miss out on a bunch of exclusives.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@OhSnapitz: You've got to be dull by saying its stealing indies from PCs.... its nowhere near comparable even now.