Witcher 2 flops on consoles

• 172 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by dj_pulserfan (3098 posts) -

Someone put loosingends, williamrlbaker and reach3 on suicide watch.

PC Sales: 0.72 million (retail box units) + 0.25 million (Digital Distribution as of November 2011) = approx. 1.1 million (conservative estimate)

source: retail units

source: digital units

Console Sales: 0.29 million (retail box units)
Source: Retail units

Opening week sales of the Witcher 2 were 400k for the PC version (Source). With even a single console market being bigger than the PC market, the initial sales of the console port are terrible to put it bluntly.

#2 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26100 posts) -

VG Chartz. LOL NO.

#3 Posted by Arach666 (23018 posts) -
But then again,that´s vgchartz. >.>
#4 Posted by NoodleFighter (6963 posts) -

With all the marketing they put in on the internet and TV when the 350 version came I thought it'd do more than that in the same timespan as PC

#5 Posted by dj_pulserfan (3098 posts) -

VG Chartz. LOL NO.

ChubbyGuy40
LOL. Come on, they use it all the time and now it's finally backfired in their face HARD after months of hyping that'll it'll sell a 1+ million units in a month.
#6 Posted by 15strong (2806 posts) -

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

VG Chartz. LOL NO.

dj_pulserfan

LOL. Come on, they use it all the time and now it's finally backfired in their face HARD after months of hyping that'll it'll sell a 1+ million units in a month.

Dude, relax.

#7 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -
That's VGChartz. :lol:
#8 Posted by AdobeArtist (22789 posts) -

Flop has nothing to do with sales. It's the score measured against the hype.

Oh and VGchartz, so.... yeahhhhhh :|

#9 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28340 posts) -

lol vgchartz

290,000 is considered bad in a months time of sales data?

okay...

#10 Posted by Grawse (4342 posts) -

No need to drag cows and sheep into this. This is all lems.

#11 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28340 posts) -
[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

VG Chartz. LOL NO.

dj_pulserfan

um...I don't remember any they saying that, I remember 1 person saying that a fakeboy.
#12 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28340 posts) -

Grawse
Actually its one person Loosingends...
#13 Posted by verbtex (8494 posts) -

Postulate 2 of the System Wars Survival Guide

2. Quoting VGChartz as your source will make every user think "LOLVGChartz."System Wars Survival Guide

Sorry man, but this is going to be taken with a grain of salt, sorry to hear about the sad sales though.

#14 Posted by Raymundo_Manuel (4641 posts) -

Witcher 2 has actually sold 2 million worldwide. I remember seeing CD Projekt comment on it.

But seriously these types of things happen all the time. When you make a game that caters to the consoles, and is advertised to the console audience then it sells (surprisingly) better on the consoles than the PC.

Same thing happens on the PC.

#15 Posted by Nanomage (2367 posts) -
[QUOTE="Grawse"]

WilliamRLBaker

Actually,I saw you more than once saing the 360 version would quickly outsell the PC version and that hermits would be owned and all that jazz you usually bark,one of them was in the TW2 hype thread
#16 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28340 posts) -

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"][QUOTE="Grawse"]

Nanomage

Actually,I saw you more than once saing the 360 version would quickly outsell the PC version and that hermits would be owned and all that jazz you usually bark,one of them was in the TW2 hype thread

okay let me rephrase, No one seriously said that except loosingends, My statements were only to piss off pirates...I mean hermtis whom went out of their way to actually say a game was crap because it was had been released on the 360.

#18 Posted by pc-ps360 (3456 posts) -

VG Chartz. LOL NO.

ChubbyGuy40

i dont know why people hate vg charts, it is credible. i know they estimate there numbers but when the real numbers come out they change them to official number and they are usually very close

also this game ROCKS i feel bad people did not give it a try, it one of the best action rpg i played.

maybe it because the game need very high pc spec to run it and many xbox gamers dont like anything else but shooters

#19 Posted by verbtex (8494 posts) -

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

VG Chartz. LOL NO.

pc-ps360

i dont know why people hate vg charts, it is credible. i know they estimate there numbers but when the real numbers come out they change them to official number and they are usually very close

There have been a few bad experiences with the site in the past and it has lost all credibility. They might have changed, but the mentality here and their loss of credibility hasn't.

#20 Posted by mems_1224 (46262 posts) -
yea! Good game sold bad on consoles. Thats definitely news to gloat about. You sure showed....somebody? You win? Idk, whats the point of this thread again?
#21 Posted by Substah (306 posts) -

Console kids only want their Cowa Doody.

#22 Posted by DarkOfKnight (2543 posts) -
Some 360 owners have a PC, so that would affect sales. Why buy the same game twice?
#23 Posted by Gxgear (10425 posts) -

It's only been a couple of weeks. Plus, I can't be the only one waiting to pick it up when it hits the bargain bin.

#24 Posted by Raymundo_Manuel (4641 posts) -

It's only been a couple of weeks. Plus, I can't be the only one waiting to pick it up when it hits the bargain bin.

Gxgear

The bargain bin!?!?!?! It's The Witcher 2! :P

#25 Posted by charizard1605 (55591 posts) -
Lol VGChartz
#26 Posted by princeofshapeir (13632 posts) -
nothing you easily-trolled simpletons can say will convince loosingENDS that he's wrong. he is an insane, bickering fool that deludes himself into thinking the crap he's spouting is the word of god.
#27 Posted by hippiesanta (9767 posts) -
witcher should be on PS3 .... where gamers are adult enough to play
#28 Posted by princeofshapeir (13632 posts) -
witcher should be on PS3 .... where gamers are adult enough to playhippiesanta
you can't even spell right or form a complete sentence. how am i supposed to expect the PS3 to be full of adult gamers now?
#29 Posted by GameFan1983 (2109 posts) -

"LOLZZ VGchart!"

----------->

http://www.gamespot.com/news/the-witcher-franchise-sells-15-million-in-2011-6350775

got love morons who bashing VGchart # without any clue, remember there's a day when a basement dweller opened a post accuesing VGchart guessed their way through to get the # just becaues they didn't like the sales # on a game they liked, next thing you know, every airheads jumped on the hating bandwagon. guess what? they still script their website, providing their "fake data" make a good living while you imbeciles are still 35 year old live in your mom's basement and beg her to buy you games and calling everything didn't lean to your interest "bad" or "fake"

NDP and VGcharts are using scientific method to gather data and conclude their result, calling they are a fuard, what better # can you provide?

The sale # from VGchart for TW2 btw, are absolute correct or 99% close to NPD data. according to CD project themslves the witcher franchise only sold a mere 1.5 mil combine TW1, TW1EE, and TW2 and TW2EE add a mere .29 to the total. pity.

that means 1.1 million from TW2 since Feb, which exactly matchs VGchart data

http://www.gamespot.com/news/the-witcher-franchise-sells-15-million-in-2011-6350775

Not only TW2 flops on conosle, but it flopped on PC too. after so many marketing trailer. CGI, interview. remarketing, relaunch. and this. pity Garbage game goes where garbage belong.

#30 Posted by j_assassin (884 posts) -
witcher should be on PS3 .... where gamers are adult enough to playhippiesanta
Just make some guns as dlc and 360 fans will buy it
#31 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42585 posts) -
lol Vgchartz.
#32 Posted by charizard1605 (55591 posts) -

"LOLZZ VGchart!"

----------->

got love morons who bashing VGchart # without any clue, remember there's a day when a basement dweller opened a post accuesing VGchart guessed their way through to get the # just becaues they didn't like the sales # on a game they liked, next thing you know, every airheads jumped on the hating bandwagon. guess what? they still script their website, providing their "fake data" make a good living while you imbeciles are still 35 year old live in your mom's basement and beg her to buy you games and calling everything didn't lean to your interest "bad" or "fake"

NDP and VGcharts are using scientific method to gather data and conclude their result, calling they are a fuard, what better # can you provide?

The sale # from VGchart for TW2 btw, are absolute correct or 99% close to NPD data. according to CD project themslves the witcher franchise only sold a mere 1.5 mil combine TW1, TW1EE, and TW2 and TW2EE add a mere .29 to the total. pity.

Not only TW2 flops on conosle, but it flopped on PC too. after so many marketing trailer. CGI, interview. remarketing, relaunch. and this. pity Garbage game goes where garbage belong.

GameFan1983
That's because VGChartz always retroactively fixes its data once the official numbers are in, you prick
#33 Posted by Nanomage (2367 posts) -

Not only TW2 flop on conosle, but was a flop on PC too. after so many marketing trailer. CGI, interview. remarketing, relaunch. and this. pity Garbage game goes where garbage belong.

GameFan1983

I guess you´re not very smart,that very link you posted says that The Witcher series sold 1.5 Million copies in 2011 ALONE! :lol:

The original game(including the EE) sold about 2 Million copies(not to mention that its very impressive that a game that came out 4 years before still sold 400k alone in 2011,and keeps selling lol) and the sequel sold over 1 Million on the PC alone as of last year,wich already makes it a bigger franchise seller than say,the Demon´s/Dark Souls games.

So don´t make a fool out of youself,the series has sold great.

#34 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26100 posts) -

"LOLZZ VGchart!"

----------->

GameFan1983

least-intelligent-comment-of-all-time-me

Someone is still bad The Witcher 2 craps all over his precious Crapsis 2.

#35 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -

It hasn't even been out for a month yet

#36 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
vgcharts ........
#37 Posted by lamprey263 (22836 posts) -
maybe word got out that it sucked, which it did, hermits overhyped this garbage, like the first Crysis
#38 Posted by Vesica_Prime (7062 posts) -

VGchartz mate.

And this isn't a victory at all, I don't see what's to gloat with a game made by an excellent developer like CD Projekt RED getting sh*tty sales.

#39 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

Someone put loosingends, williamrlbaker and reach3 on suicide watch.

PC Sales: 0.72 million (retail box units) + 0.25 million (Digital Distribution as of November 2011) = approx. 1.1 million (conservative estimate)

source: retail units

source: digital units

Console Sales: 0.29 million (retail box units)
Source: Retail units

Opening week sales of the Witcher 2 were 400k for the PC version (Source). With even a single console market being bigger than the PC market, the initial sales of the console port are terrible to put it bluntly.

dj_pulserfan

Well, after 5 million pirated copies you did not expect this to sell huge, did you ?

That would happen only if it was xbox 360 exclusive

Fable 2 that is exlusive sold 4 million !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is 4 times what Witcher 2 sold on PC, because piracy on xbox is minimal and people buy games and dont pirate them only

Also you compare a month sales to the sales after 1.5 year on PC ?

To put it in perspective, Witcher 2 has already done 30% of PC sales in a few DAYS on xbox 360, so will probably surpass PC sales by millions eventually

I love how you destroy your argument in your own post, W2 had a good start on PC but the sales afterwards were ABYSMAL, while on consoles will keep selling huge, especially in holidays and there are not 100.000.000 pirates waiting to get it free like on PC

And usually Vgchartz is way off, Witcher 2 was top in the NPD list, so the numbers would be much higher, even for the few days it is on the market

BTW, the only sure way to sell 5-6 million copies, is to make Witcher 3 an xbox 360 exclusive like Fable, which i guess they will do

Why support the 5 million pirates that stole their game on PC ? What is the point ?

#40 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25150 posts) -

VG Chartz. LOL NO.

ChubbyGuy40
Yeah but judging from NPD and American figures alone it's most likely along those lines. PC version probably sold better.
#41 Posted by CTR360 (6952 posts) -
sales dont prove anything witcher 2 its great for concoles
#42 Posted by AdrianWerner (27960 posts) -

It's not selling as fast as PC version, but it's still doing decently. CDP expects sales to reach 1 mln withing a year

#43 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

Personally I determine whether a game is good or not based on my own merits and when I actually play the game myself but for "taking with a grain of salt" desciions in deciding on game purchases I will look at a game's score more over than the sales.

Judging by the scores, Witcher 2 on Xbox seems to be doing pretty well actually. Which is nice. I ain't complaining.

#44 Posted by Greyfeld (3006 posts) -

I'm sure the game would sell better if the combat didn't suck.

#45 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26100 posts) -

Well, after 5 million pirated copies you did not expect this to sell huge, did you ?

Fable 2 that is exlusive sold 4 million !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is 4 times what Witcher 2 sold on PC, because piracy on xbox is minimal and people buy games and dont pirate them only

To put it in perspective, Witcher 2 has already done 30% of PC sales in a few DAYS on xbox 360, so will probably surpass PC sales by millions eventually

I love how you destroy your argument in your own post, W2 had a good start on PC but the sales afterwards were ABYSMAL, while on consoles will keep selling huge, especially in holidays and there are not 100.000.000 pirates waiting to get it free like on PC

And usually Vgchartz is way off, Witcher 2 was top in the NPD list, so the numbers would be much higher, even for the few days it is on the market

BTW, the only sure way to sell 5-6 million copies, is to make Witcher 3 an xbox 360 exclusive like Fable, which i guess they will do

Why support the 5 million pirates that stole their game on PC ? What is the point ?

loosingENDS

5 million? It wasn't even pirated more than 3 million, and we don't know if it even reached 1 or 2 million at that.

Haven't had a good exclusive in so long you forgot how poorly they sell if they're not Gears/Halo. So sad.

Piracy is pretty bad on 360 as well. It's even worse than Wii's numbers and that's even easier to pirate with, and has a larger install base. Fable 2 is also older so...yeah. Also sales isn't an indication of quality. It was also included with 360s at the time no? That's why it even has 4 million sales. Probably wouldn't even have broken 1 million without it.

Witcher 2 was better received critically and more than likely brought in a bigger profit for the developers because console games cost so much to make and rarely see profit if at all.

PC games have legs, as in they sell over time. They aren't like console games where they sell at launch, but everyone forgets it the week later.

The Witcher 2 360 only reached 6th. The sales will go nowhere but south from here.

Because having Alan Wake 360 exclusive and only selling 200k copies was such a good idea right? CDP isn't stupid. They know the future is with PC. You can't get sales on consoles if it isn't an FPS, and even then you can't get profits.

Why support the 10 people who bought it for 360? What's the point in that? Hell, even the PC pirates were calling on each other to support CDPR because of how great of a PC developer they are, because THEY GET IT.

#46 Posted by AdrianWerner (27960 posts) -

make Witcher 3 an xbox 360 exclusive like Fable

loosingENDS

Seems like sure-fire way to make CDP go bancrupt. You must really hate this developer to wish them that,

#47 Posted by AM-Gamer (3529 posts) -

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

VG Chartz. LOL NO.

dj_pulserfan

Its funny people rip on VG charts but there really not that inaccurate . Regardless the witcer 2 was an outstanding game on the 360 but the problem is the majority of the 360 fanbase gravitates towards the standard COD trash and motion control garbage. They would have been better off marketing it well and releasing it on the PS3.

#48 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26100 posts) -

Its funny people rip on VG charts but there really not that inaccurate.

AM-Gamer

Yes they are. There's a reason no serious website, forum, or business uses them for their numbers.

#49 Posted by AM-Gamer (3529 posts) -

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

Its funny people rip on VG charts but there really not that inaccurate.

ChubbyGuy40

Yes they are. There's a reason no serious website, forum, or business uses them for their numbers.

Look at the overall numbers that are reported and look how close they are to VG charts.

#50 Posted by AM-Gamer (3529 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

ChubbyGuy40

5 million? It wasn't even pirated more than 3 million, and we don't know if it even reached 1 or 2 million at that.

Haven't had a good exclusive in so long you forgot how poorly they sell if they're not Gears/Halo. So sad.

Piracy is pretty bad on 360 as well. It's even worse than Wii's numbers and that's even easier to pirate with, and has a larger install base. Fable 2 is also older so...yeah. Also sales isn't an indication of quality. It was also included with 360s at the time no? That's why it even has 4 million sales. Probably wouldn't even have broken 1 million without it.

Witcher 2 was better received critically and more than likely brought in a bigger profit for the developers because console games cost so much to make and rarely see profit if at all.

PC games have legs, as in they sell over time. They aren't like console games where they sell at launch, but everyone forgets it the week later.

The Witcher 2 360 only reached 6th. The sales will go nowhere but south from here.

Because having Alan Wake 360 exclusive and only selling 200k copies was such a good idea right? CDP isn't stupid. They know the future is with PC. You can't get sales on consoles if it isn't an FPS, and even then you can't get profits.

Why support the 10 people who bought it for 360? What's the point in that? Hell, even the PC pirates were calling on each other to support CDPR because of how great of a PC developer they are, because THEY GET IT.

I think your a little off on judging all consoles by saying you can only get sales with an FPS. Arkham city sold very well and sold far better on consoles, Dark souls also sould over 1.2 million copies. Although alot of trash sells on consoles the pc is no better.