Wishlist for Nintendo's next-gen console.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Post your wishlist of what specs/features you'd like to see in Nintendo's next-gen console.

It must meet this bare minimum of specs for me to even consider purchasing one.

- At least 2-3x the performance of the PS4

- 1 Terabyte HDD

- Standard Controller without annoying gimmicks that get in the way.

- Strong third party support.

- Heavy hitters ready at launch day.

- New U.I.that is actually good.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

My biggest concern with Nintendo isn't so much with their hardware but their online service. They really need to take care of the issue of accounts being tied to systems pronto. And along with that it would be great to see them go all out with the VC like they did during the Wii's early years.

Only other thing I can think of is that if the next console is going to be some handheld/console hybrid, or if their next console will have some kind of functionality with a handheld, hopefully you'll be able to bring said handheld more than 2 inches away from the console and still actually be able to use it. My only real issue with the gamepad itself has always been its poor range with the Wii U.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

CPU that is fast enough to compel third-party developers to develop for the system.

Compelling first-party launch releases.

A controller that is less gimmickry and more practical.

Improved online infrastructure.

Improved account system.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

I don't get the point of such a console

It will get Dreamcast'd

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 emgesp

@MonsieurX said:

I don't get the point of such a console

It will get Dreamcast'd

Then please post what you think the specs should be.

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

I want the specs to be a noticeable jump (such as wii to wii u) at a decent price, I'd say 249. No overpriced tablet controller to inflate it. Either a traditional controller or a suped up wiimote that delivers on what everyone hoped the original would be.

Don't try to be the random different controller, be the attractive value with great first party games.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

Better online networking

Better digital store and policies regarding digital games

Cheaper prices for games since not all of us live the rich life.

More ergonomic controller. The Wii U pad is not comfortable.

And they should reach out to third parties to support the platform. Make it easy, and worthwhile. I don't think the Wii Remote or Wii U pad are bad gimmicks, but they end up as such when nobody supports them.

They should also not do things like put a bluray disk drive in their console, and then not give it bluray movie functionality. The shit is that all about?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#8 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Too early.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

It needs to use a standard controller, be at least CAPABLE power wise (rather than utterly dwarfed by it's competition) and they need to get a proper online infrastructure.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

@papatrop said:

Better online networking

And they should reach out to third parties to support the platform. Make it easy, and worthwhile. I don't think the Wii Remote or Wii U pad are bad gimmicks, but they end up as such when nobody supports them.

They should also not do things like put a bluray disk drive in their console, and then not give it bluray movie functionality. The shit is that all about?

You're probably the only one I've heard say this.

And I don't understand why everyone is so adament about third party support. As a businessman sure, but as a gamer I don't give a crap. There are already 2 other consoles that offer these games, plus the ALWAYS superior PC. I always get 2 consoles every gen, Nintendo and Sony so why do I want my Nintendo console to have Assassins Creed?

As for me, I don't care. I buy Nintendo consoles for Zelda and Mario, everything else is gravy.

edit: Sorry, by third party I meant multiplatform. Got them confused. Nintendo definitely needs more third party games.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By emgesp

@Cloud_imperium said:

Too early.

How so? The new console will be announced in 2016.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By emgesp

@Jolt_counter119 said:

@papatrop said:

Better online networking

And I don't understand why everyone is so adament about third party support. As a businessman sure, but as a gamer I don't give a crap. There are already 2 other consoles that offer these games, plus the ALWAYS superior PC. I always get 2 consoles every gen, Nintendo and Sony so why do I want my Nintendo console to have Assassins Creed?

As for me, I don't care. I buy Nintendo consoles for Zelda and Mario, everything else is gravy.

edit: Sorry, by third party I meant multiplatform. Got them confused. Nintendo definitely needs more third party games.

But why should one have to purchase another platform just to play third party games? Nintendo should have a console that gets all the same third party titles as its competitors. If the next Nintendo console is just going to be a Nintendo exclusive machine then it better be priced at $249.99 tops.

"Sorry, by third party I meant multiplatform. Got them confused. Nintendo definitely needs more third party games."

In 2014 is there even a difference between third party and multiplatform? I think you mean Nintendo needs more 2nd party developers making exclusive games for them.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

A way too early to even think about. They burnt a lot of bridges with third parties, so its not simple to rebuilt them. Even if Nintendo made a super easy console for devs. I doubt that would even bring most of them back. A lot of it has to do with their image, which I can't see changing.

I find the handheld/console hybrid rumor to be very interesting, and makes a sense imo. They're at a crossroad, and Lord knows that direction they may go.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

@emgesp said:

But why should one have to purchase another platform just to play third party games? Nintendo should have a console that gets all the same third party titles as its competitors. If the next Nintendo console is just going to be a Nintendo exclusive machine then it better be priced at $249.99 tops.

"Sorry, by third party I meant multiplatform. Got them confused. Nintendo definitely needs more third party games."

In 2014 is there even a difference between third party and multiplatform? I think you mean Nintendo needs more 2nd party developers making exclusive games for them.

Nintendo used to get great games from Capcom and Ubisoft and such but they pretty much bailed. Which they're probably going to do to the XBox pretty soon if sales keep up. Third party doesn't have to do with hardware really, they have to do with releasing games for consoles that are going to sell games. As of late, pretty much only NIntendo games sell for Nintendo consoles so I don't see things changing anytime soon. You buy Nintendo to play Nintendo. When a third party makes a great game every once in a while like Platinum does (which just shows their loyalty because their games sell like sh*t), I consider it a gift lol.

And yes it should be priced much cheaper than the competition.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By emgesp

@TrappedInABox91 said:

A way too early to even think about. They burnt a lot of bridges with third parties, so its not simple to rebuilt them. Even if Nintendo made a super easy console for devs. I doubt that would even bring most of them back. A lot of it has to do with their image, which I can't see changing.

I find the handheld/console hybrid rumor to be very interesting, and makes a sense imo. They're at a crossroad, and Lord knows that direction they may go.

After Zelda gets released what other big titles do you see coming to the Wii U? I think Nintendo is just going to save future AAA development for their next home console. Wii U in 2016 is going to be pretty weak sauce in terms of AAA games. At best you might get a Metroid game.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44555 Posts

There's too much I wish Nintendo did even now to even think about next gen, thinking that far ahead is too overwhelming.

If I could sum up one wish, I'd love it if for once Nintendo would stop doing things like having games release in Japan then not releasing them anywhere else. Oh, and for crying out loud, catch up to consumer friendly digital rights management, like cross platform purchases, some kind of online form of rights retention (so you can trade in hardware and reacquire library digitally through an online account), some kind of functioning voice chat communication between users online, all that stuff they're years behind on.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Just three, a primary controller that doesn't cost $150-$199USD or AUD & that the system can support more than 2 primary controllers. Have a decent flow of game releases (one can hope)...digital games ties to Nintendo account by this I mean, if system dies, I can get a replacement from place of purhcase, go home then log into account & re download - no need to call Nintendo :P

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

people are misguided imo. even if the next kidtendo console was powerful enough to entice 3rd parties it would still sell like shit because x1/ps4 exclusives appeal more to casuals. no one gives a **** about that mexican plumber anymore, its 2015

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

people are misguided imo. even if the next kidtendo console was powerful enough to entice 3rd parties it would still sell like shit because x1/ps4 exclusives appeal more to casuals. no one gives a **** about that mexican plumber anymore, its 2015

Nintendos console could be ten times more powerful than the competition and 3rd parties would still shy away. People don't realize that "nintendo and 3rd parties" has next to nothing to do with hardware. It is the mode of conduct that is the barrier. Nintendo doesn't want the overload dlc, and an abundance of broken game launches--they view that as a quality issue.

The only way 3rd parties would start developing on nintendo, primarily, is if the consumer chose the it as THE console to own.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

My biggest wish for this console is for Nintendo to STOP pursuing the "hardcore." It never worked with them before and it won't work with them now or in the future.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Don't really care about the specs, just want them to keep doing what they're doing with the Wii U and not go chasing the Wii casual audience again with crap like Wii Music.

Also, they need to drop the Wii name. And bring their online network up to todays standards.

Edit: and how could i forget, yes they need proper internal storage.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts
  • Good hardware
  • No online support at all
  • Normal controller (like WiiU Pro controller)
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#23 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

My Wishlist.

1. To BE a NEXT generation console.
  2. HDD? Nintendo 1 up the competition and make your next console have an SSD.
  3. At least 4 GB of Ram.
  4. 1 up the other consoles by keeping the Backwards Compatibility AND even upresing the Resolutions like basic Emulators do. (I'm asking too much for Nintendo)
  5. No Screwing you over Accounts. It's over Nintendo, get with the 21st century.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

Online experience comparable to Live or PSN

3rd Party Support

Hardware that keeps up with Sony and MS

Ditch Motion Control gaming.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I think it would be amazing if they would double down on the Wii U. Release a standalone controller for it that can play digital versions of the games when you are on the go and also work with your console while you are home. It would replace the 3DS and ensure that the best console of current gen to date remains the best throughout this gen. If that isn't possible, then hopefully they wait until they can do that with something that has better graphics than the Wii U at a lower price.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@emgesp said:

Post your wishlist of what specs/features you'd like to see in Nintendo's next-gen console.

It must meet this bare minimum of specs for me to even consider purchasing one.

- At least 2-3x the performance of the PS4

- 1 Terabyte HDD

- Standard Controller without annoying gimmicks that get in the way.

- Strong third party support.

- Heavy hitters ready at launch day.

- New U.I.that is actually good.

Just decent 3rd party support would be enough for me, i don't play online so i don't care too much about online.

And KEEP the full backwards compatibility.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

A lot of things which were said in this thread.

Make it feel like something a bit better than a 360. I'm just asking for just a bit, Nintendo.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
@Heirren said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Nintendos console could be ten times more powerful than the competition and 3rd parties would still shy away. People don't realize that "nintendo and 3rd parties" has next to nothing to do with hardware. It is the mode of conduct that is the barrier. Nintendo doesn't want the overload dlc, and an abundance of broken game launches--they view that as a quality issue.

The only way 3rd parties would start developing on nintendo, primarily, is if the consumer chose the it as THE console to own.

Completely correct man, a lot of people don't realise that it's nintendos way of thinking that prevents decent 3rd party support for there consoles.

Power definitley isn't an issue because the Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2 yet it had mediocre third party support which is why, unfortunately i had to ditch it in the end and get an X box when the games dried up

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

So much talk about Nintendo's next console. You'd think people were underwhelmed by the wii u or something.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Powaaaaa -

A 4.5 teraflop gpu would be great. Less is fine and dandy for now, but won't be able to get 9th gen games. And an internal HDD ffs.

CPU wise it's pretty much a given it'll blow away the ps4 and xbone since their cpu's are utter shite. They won't keep the same cpu architecture after the backlash.

I really, really wish they would bring back the gamecube controller and update it. Also the wii mote nunchuck, but keep that optional.

Then obviously all that and if they actually try to bring back 3rd party's, and do what they say they're going to with an online service...

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts

a surprise.

and backed by a more well rounded first and second party making lots of different types of games that will only exist on nintendo platforms.

there is no point in nintendo chasing 3rd parties or reentering the hardware race or talking online more seriusly. those boats have long sailed.

a unique console with a unique and outstanding selection of games backed by a bigger and even better first party. thats my wish list for nintendos next console.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

@Jolt_counter119 said:

@papatrop said:

Better online networking

Because I want a Nintendo console that doesn't spend 6 months to a year without a new compelling title.

Third party or multiplatform. It doesn't matter. The point is that if Nintendo reached out to devs, and it became worthwhile for them to make games on a Nintendo system, we might see new and more creative ways of using the hardware Nintendo gives.

I don't to spend $300 to have access to one or two games a year. Especially when it's often the same tired franchises as usual.