WIRED: You're stupid if you want Nintendo to go third party

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#52 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16480 posts) -

Yeah I am pretty sure than when most people are talking third party, they aren't referring to phones/tablets. Seems to me that makes WIRED stupid. Stupid for ever thinking we meant phones/tablets in the first place. Naturally we are talking PC, PS4, and X1

#53 Posted by Speak_Low (746 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Notice how I specifically word it as 'Gamecube era' in my last post.

Also note what I say next: 'Gamecube's failure caused them to change strategies with the Wii.'

So of course, Wii U's failure will cause them to change strategies with its successor as well. Expecting anything else is foolish beyond belief.

But you also said Nintendo has never lost money on a console ever and made tons of money on the Gamecube alone, which isn't true. You went from "Gamecube was profitable," then changed it to "Gamecube era was profitable"

I have no problem if they did make money off the Gamecube, but they didn't. And if we're going to discuss something, I want to make sure everyone is using the correct data and standards. And it isn't just you - many Sheep continue to say the Gamecube was profitable and the Wii U is close behind it, so hence, "it will be profitable, don't worry"

I've already shown why this isn't true and why they are seeing losses, not profits. Why is the Gamecube constantly included as "proof" of a well-thought out plan with good results, when it's clear the results were not what Nintendo planned at all - it was a shock in fact how low it ended up (lowest-selling home console ever for them). They wanted first place just like the others. And any Sheep is welcome to bring me back the reports showing the Gamecube alone earned Nintendo profits. I've asked for this before and never get a response back.

But let's not obsess whether they made profit or didn't. This topic is about third-party and we should ask: "Where is Nintendo today?"

Are they in a better place than the Wii or Gamecube era? NO

Are they making more money than before, or even the same level as before? NO

Did they learn anything valuable from this supposed "series of profitable consoles" and carry over that enormous, growing fanbase (which they had over a decade to grow) to the Wii U? NO

Is Nintendo's third-party support better than ever or equal to what they had before? NO

Does the Wii U at least partially echo the success and widespread acceptance of the Wii? NO

Is handheld gaming revenue at least going to get better these next few years? NO

Given their mistakes, can Nintendo ever make a new console that can compete in hardware or third-party support with Sony and MS? NO

Isn't it bad when a company sees diminishment in so many key areas over the years? YES

Isn't it hard for a company to rebound when the diminishment is too widespread and irreversible? YES

Didn't I just describe a "failing" company: one that is continually losing market space and audience acceptance to their competitors, and with future options becoming limited and dim? YES

You see steadiness or decent success, but I see nothing but a mess now, and I don't think Nintendo's future looks good. "Riding it out" to me means losing more money and falling further behind in 5 years to MS and Sony.

#54 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

You can use this same logic for Sega, did not stop them.

#55 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2656 posts) -

So we are stupid huh. Let me see if I got this right. Nintendo makes one of the best selling consoles of all time. Then makes one of the slowest selling even after a price cut in the 1st year. Yet Nintendo is fine and we are stupid got it.

#56 Posted by mariokart64fan (19348 posts) -

@hiphops_savior: um I bleive your to late with the no Zelda game on wiiu ,

theres already one out , -windwaker hd, theres the spin off , which is combined with that warriors game, and then theres the one for 2014 ,

and Nintendo has mariokart dkc 5 and to reiterate , 3ds will become profitable in time , it aint like when the gc was out and the market was ok ,and things weren't as expensive ,

wiiu will do just fine , 3ds will out sell the competition-vita and that's enough for nintnedo

#57 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -

Their console hardware is not competitive(at its current price point) with competing platforms in virtually every aspect and their own software support isn't enough to sustain a platform. < $200 is what a secondary, dust collecting console like the Wii-U should be priced at. They're asking Lexus money for a corolla, right now. Preferably, I'd like to just pick up a Mario game every so often on PS4 or PC, but the likelihood of that happening is slim. At best, they turn things around next gen in regards to hardware, 3rd party support, online, features, etc. But I wouldn't be surprised if I see them double down on handhelds and drop out of the console game completely. Stop with the half-assed efforts in the console space, please.

#58 Edited by Sword-Demon (6872 posts) -

Well I do want to play a more mature Zelda game.....

What makes you think Nintendo games would become more "mature" if they went 3rd party?

Nintendo systems don't magically erase blood and turn everything into sunshine & rainbows, and Sony/MS systems don't magically add gore and make everything grey/brown.

#59 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6183 posts) -

People wanting Nintendo to go third Party know very Little of gaming history, what happens to all console makers WHO went third party only by software... Here is a tidbit: they are all dead and burried or a mere shadow. It is a death sentence to go 3rd party.

So just because you are cheap and wants to consolidate all games on your preferred platform, it is a bad excuse.

And let us not forget that the PS3 had two absolutely horrible years before it saw any decent software, writing off the Wii U allready is not really the best of ideas. Unless ofcourse "PS should go 3rd party the PS3 sold lackluster"

The Wii U sofar has been a failure, it will not likely be a sucess ever, but one bad console and People start screaming "go third party" that seems rather silly.

What they need is to create the NeXT consoles with 3rd party in mind, with some better hardware engineers, the Wii U from a technical level is odd to say the least.

#60 Posted by lazerface216 (7449 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

@charizard1605 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@charizard1605 said:

Before Nintendo would ever put any content onto the App Store, it would first have to be ready to compete in that environment and sell its games on a platform where race-to-the-bottom pricing and aggressive freemium money-making mechanics are the norm.

Super Mario Bros. 3 is an amazing game, but would it be as much fun on a touch screen with virtual buttons? No, it would not. And before you argue, but you can hook up a Bluetooth gamepad to your phone, think about how that changes the situation. If Nintendo is designing mobile games for the tiny number of people who go to the trouble of using an external controller with their mobile device, it’s no longer going after the millions upon millions of casual consumers that presumably are the entire reason it would go mobile in the first place.

Moreover, if you like Nintendo’s games as they are, you should want Nintendo to run its own platform. I wonder if any of the Underpants Gnomes understand why, exactly, Nintendo’s games are so unique. Nintendo has the freedom to create games unlike anything else in the world precisely because it has always controlled the entire gameplay experience from hardware to software.

SOURCE

Chill out guys, Nintendo isn't going anywhere.

Well, then, I am stupid. I would rather Nintendo go 3rd party. They'd make more money, too.

Lol no, no they wouldn't. They have a MASSIVELY lucrative hardware business, going software only would cut that out entirely.

What with only the 3DS because last time I checked the Wii-U got destroyed.

Why don't you take off the goggles for once and take a look at the grave situation at hand.

It may not be bad now, but ninty is certainly on a downward trajectory.

I am taking off my goggles. Even if the Wii U is making losses, and I know it is, when the hell did I say it isn't, it's still one console.NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii were all profitable.Gamecube alone made Nintendo more money than PS and PS2 combined did for Sony.

Why the fuck would one bad console cause Nintendo to drop hardware? They would change their approach to hardware, they would change their strategy(meaning I foresee them ditching the gimmick console route), but they won't ditch consoles period, that makes no rational sense whatsoever.

the proof is in the pudding, so let's see it.

#61 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6001 posts) -

@speak_low: Did you start out asking tough questions? YES

Did you make sharp, painful points?YES

Were you totally kicking ass and taking names at first? YES

Did your little questionnaire devolve into ridiculous, shitty prognostications about a future you are totally talking out of your ass about? YES

So in the end, was your post worth a damn? NO

Should you have quit while you were ahead? FUCK YEAH

#62 Posted by Sphensen (708 posts) -

what a fun discussion to have read. Also Mario Parkour 2018 !!

#63 Edited by Speak_Low (746 posts) -

@El_Zo1212o said:

@speak_low: Did you start out asking tough questions? YES

Did you make sharp, painful points?YES

Were you totally kicking ass and taking names at first? YES

Did your little questionnaire devolve into ridiculous, shitty prognostications about a future you are totally talking out of your ass about? YES

So in the end, was your post worth a damn? NO

Should you have quit while you were ahead? FUCK YEAH

I didn't even give you the real sweat-inducing questions (Nintendo and Sheep need to seriously answer for a lot of muck ups). This first set of questions was only because I doubt any one would answer them, and alone they are enough to make Nintendo look really awful at what they do.

And where are my Gamecube profit charts I asked for? Every time I ask for them it goes quiet, and yet I see Sheep still making future rosy predictions for Nintendo, using the GCN as a solid measuring stick of "success" to aim for.

No, Wii U hitting GCN numbers would be a complete failure - both financially and in terms of acceptance (losing third-party support and being neglected by millions upon millions of customers).

But that doesn't matter, because the Wii U won't even be close to the GCN sales even. That's the most pathetic thing of all. Any one who has any decent graph-reading skills can tell you that already.

And, now, I have you trying to imitate me, discarding it all sarcastically, bringing it all back to generic optimism like all Sheep do - "everything will be fine. We don't know the future, so we just have to wait and see." This self-consoling tactic is always brought out when the harsh questioning becomes too true, too oppressive. And there needs to be some mental relief from the tightening of screws.

But acting aloof or covering it with jokes isn't going to change the facts. And the facts and trends are powerfully united, which increases the likelihood of something in the future. That tends to be how the chain of logic works around here. Pass it along to Sheep.

I have never had one Sheep stop me cold and made me rethink something about Nintendo's upcoming future. They've been so dead wrong so many times - about how the Wii U would start selling more consoles/get more games/get more fans back/pass up Sony and MS - their logic is no good to me. It's me who should be discarding them.

Also - had you never read what I typed in that other post, or had I never concisely laid out Nintendo's problems flat on the table like that - it wouldn't matter. None of it would. Those problems would still exist even if we never talked about it.

#64 Posted by foxhound_fox (86955 posts) -

I'm surprised Gamespot is even riding the bandwagon.

#65 Edited by ristactionjakso (5627 posts) -

@ristactionjakso said:

What makes you think Nintendo games would become more "mature" if they went 3rd party?

Nintendo systems don't magically erase blood and turn everything into sunshine & rainbows, and Sony/MS systems don't magically add gore and make everything grey/brown.

lol, there are more sunshines and rainbows on Nintendo products than anything.

#66 Posted by hiphops_savior (7681 posts) -

@mariokart64fan: You know what I mean, a mainline Zelda game. Wind Waker HD, a fantastic game, and one that is worthy of a remake, is nonetheless a remake. Hyrule Warriors is Nintendo's gambit to flesh out their library. It's about as much of a Zelda game as Mario Teaches Typing is a Mario game.

I want the Wii U to succeed as much as you, but there is a difference between being optimistic and delusional. You are in danger of crossing such a line.

#67 Edited by AM-Gamer (3338 posts) -

@charizard1605: You are clueless, the PS2 made far more money then the GC. The reason Nintendo made so much money was because of there handhelds.

#68 Edited by I_can_haz (6484 posts) -

Yeah I am pretty sure than when most people are talking third party, they aren't referring to phones/tablets. Seems to me that makes WIRED stupid. Stupid for ever thinking we meant phones/tablets in the first place. Naturally we are talking PC, PS4, and X1

^ ^ This. WIRED are a bunch of dumbasses.

#69 Posted by Sword-Demon (6872 posts) -

@Sword-Demon said:

@ristactionjakso said:

lol, there are more sunshines and rainbows on Nintendo products than anything.

way to miss the point..

#70 Posted by charizard1605 (54480 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@charizard1605 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@charizard1605 said:

Before Nintendo would ever put any content onto the App Store, it would first have to be ready to compete in that environment and sell its games on a platform where race-to-the-bottom pricing and aggressive freemium money-making mechanics are the norm.

Super Mario Bros. 3 is an amazing game, but would it be as much fun on a touch screen with virtual buttons? No, it would not. And before you argue, but you can hook up a Bluetooth gamepad to your phone, think about how that changes the situation. If Nintendo is designing mobile games for the tiny number of people who go to the trouble of using an external controller with their mobile device, it’s no longer going after the millions upon millions of casual consumers that presumably are the entire reason it would go mobile in the first place.

Moreover, if you like Nintendo’s games as they are, you should want Nintendo to run its own platform. I wonder if any of the Underpants Gnomes understand why, exactly, Nintendo’s games are so unique. Nintendo has the freedom to create games unlike anything else in the world precisely because it has always controlled the entire gameplay experience from hardware to software.

SOURCE

Well, then, I am stupid. I would rather Nintendo go 3rd party. They'd make more money, too.

Lol no, no they wouldn't. They have a MASSIVELY lucrative hardware business, going software only would cut that out entirely.

What with only the 3DS because last time I checked the Wii-U got destroyed.

Why don't you take off the goggles for once and take a look at the grave situation at hand.

It may not be bad now, but ninty is certainly on a downward trajectory.

I am taking off my goggles. Even if the Wii U is making losses, and I know it is, when the hell did I say it isn't, it's still one console.NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii were all profitable.Gamecube alone made Nintendo more money than PS and PS2 combined did for Sony.

Why the fuck would one bad console cause Nintendo to drop hardware? They would change their approach to hardware, they would change their strategy(meaning I foresee them ditching the gimmick console route), but they won't ditch consoles period, that makes no rational sense whatsoever.

the proof is in the pudding, so let's see it.

It's on the previous page, go check it out.

#71 Posted by MirkoS77 (6868 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

@charizard1605 said:

SOURCE

Forget these morons saying 3rd party is the way to go. They have no idea what they are talking about.

#72 Edited by charizard1605 (54480 posts) -

You can use this same logic for Sega, did not stop them.

Sega had no money in the bank

@MirkoS77 said:

Forget these morons saying 3rd party is the way to go. They have no idea what they are talking about.

Pretty much. I mean, will they change hardware strategies going forward? Yes, most definitely, they have to, or they're screwed. Will they drop consoles entirely? Fat chance.

#73 Edited by MirkoS77 (6868 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@hiphops_savior said:

@_Matt_: Your right, Nintendo can withstand the Wii U for at least a couple of years. That doesn't mean all's well, however. It gives Nintendo a chance to reevaluate their policies and their course of action. Should they take the concept of convergence further with the 3DS successor? Or should they look into expanding their portfolio?

I think the 3DS is in due course for a decline from now until the next console released. Something big is going to happen in 2015, and we might not even see a Zelda game on the Wii U.

Of course, a change is due; but I think if anything, it makes me excited to see what Nintendo will do now. They're under pressure to improve, and they can't just sit back, we could see a return of Nintendo in a big way in a few years, or just an interesting new direction, who knows?

I'm more worried than excited. Nintendo is a company that is extremely out of touch with what people want. I have a feeling they are going to attribute their failings to places where the problem doesn't exist, and then will try to fix things that have nothing to do with what has caused them to be where they are currently.

They're probably going to go mobile, F2P, or some other garbage route while not even acknowledging that their online lacks, they have no diversity in their game library, their hardware is overpriced and gimmick laden, and their philosophies are wrong. THESE are the problems and what needs to be addressed. Yet what we're going to see on the 30th is some new phone from them or some shit.

#74 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4463 posts) -

Well from the (unrealistic) standpoint of a gamer I would like Nintendo to go 3rd party... but it's nothing personal, I would want ALL companies to go 3rd party, yes Sony and MS as well as Nintendo. I would love for every game to be on PC and let that be the end of it. But of course, that's just a dream.

From a business/reality standpoint, I agree that it's pretty dumb for Nintendo to bow out at the 1st sign of real trouble. If you've been massively successful for 3 decades, do you just give up when you have trouble times with your hardware sales on ONE platform. I believe Nintendo has sold something like over 600 million hardware units to date... that's a lot of fucking money. I wouldn't just bite the dust and go 3rd party that easily.

#75 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

They should though. Then they could stop posting losses and alienating customers by putting out shit rehashed hardware every so often with a new gimmick attached to it that no one ever truly wants. All their customers care about is playing the 37th Zelda game, or the 189th Mario game, no one actually gives a shit about Nintendo hardware because everything they have released in the last decade has been severly underpowered compared to the competition. There isn't a single Nintendo game that cant run just as well if not a lot better on their competitions systems.

They would sell just as many games if they went 3rd party if not more because its obvious people want to buy other consoles more than Nintendo ones so they would have a bigger audience of gamers to play their stuff. If they went multi plat with pikimin 3 it would have sold a whole hell of a lot more, not to mention it would be on systems powerful enough to handle online co-op.

Nintendo should just stop with the half assed hardware, stop doing the shitty online, stop making gimmicks and just do what they do best, crank out sequel after sequel after sequel and put them on other systems. They would stop pissing off and dissapointing so many people and they would make a hell of a lot more money.

#76 Edited by hiphops_savior (7681 posts) -

@MirkoS77: By "people", do you mean yourself? Stop pretending it's what "people" want, it's your own values changing over the years while Nintendo still sticks to their foundation of excellent gameplay with emphasis on exploration and interaction.

The genres that Nintendo IPs cover:

Platformers

Racing

Shooters

Puzzles

Action Adventures

On-rail shooters

RPG

SRPG

Action/Turn based RPG

Rhythm

Fitness

Sports

Strategy

It is arrogant to assume that what you think is what "people" think. It was a lesson I learned awhile ago.

#77 Edited by charizard1605 (54480 posts) -

Well from the (unrealistic) standpoint of a gamer I would like Nintendo to go 3rd party... but it's nothing personal, I would want ALL companies to go 3rd party, yes Sony and MS as well as Nintendo. I would love for every game to be on PC and let that be the end of it. But of course, that's just a dream.

From a business/reality standpoint, I agree that it's pretty dumb for Nintendo to bow out at the 1st sign of real trouble. If you've been massively successful for 3 decades, do you just give up when you have trouble times with your hardware sales on ONE platform. I believe Nintendo has sold something like over 600 million hardware units to date... that's a lot of fucking money. I wouldn't just bite the dust and go 3rd party that easily.

261 million consoles, and 400 million handhelds. That's a shit ton of money that they would just be leaving on the table.

#78 Edited by ConanTheStoner (4463 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner said:

261 million consoles, and 400 million handhelds. That's a shit ton of money that they would just be leaving on the table.

So yeah, even more than I thought... that's crazy.

Gamers tend to be very short sighted though. If Nintendo were to listen to the average idiot beating the doom drum, the SNES would have never released outside of Japan and that would have been their final console. It's not just Nintendo though, I remember all the idiots calling for Sony to go 3rd party early on with the PS3 and look how that turned out.

Moral of the story? People can be stupid.

#79 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4163 posts) -

@_Matt_:

Or they can end up pulling a Sega no matter what they try and do. The Dreamcast may have been a very successful console if not for the Saturn ruining their reputation.

#80 Posted by V3rciS (2207 posts) -

Look I'm not so much against them going 3rd party for like PS or Xbox. BUT DAMN.... FREAKING IPHONES? ffs that's way too much!

#81 Edited by nintendoboy16 (25827 posts) -

I dont understand why everyone is so focused on Nintendo on smartphones, they would make alot more money on Playstation and Xbox than they would on smartphones.

"Just put all your super nintendo games on smart phones" They cant even put all their super nintendo games on Wii U/3DS and they actually have all the buttons/hardware thats needed!

lol No! They's make just as much then, which is to say, too little.

#82 Posted by MirkoS77 (6868 posts) -

@MirkoS77: By "people", do you mean yourself? Stop pretending it's what "people" want, it's your own values changing over the years while Nintendo still sticks to their foundation of excellent gameplay with emphasis on exploration and interaction.

The genres that Nintendo IPs cover:

Platformers

Racing

Shooters

Puzzles

Action Adventures

On-rail shooters

RPG

SRPG

Action/Turn based RPG

Rhythm

Fitness

Sports

Strategy

It is arrogant to assume that what you think is what "people" think. It was a lesson I learned awhile ago.

Variety? Perhaps on the 3DS, I was referring more to the U.

But you're right, I'm arrogant to say that people want to have a universal account system. That they want Nintendo to take more risks instead of banking so heavily on Mario, Mario, Mario. That people want a VC that releases games faster than the pace of a snail, and that they don't want to pay $300 for eight year old tech. That they want online in their games.

These are the same people that didn't buy 6.5 million U's that Nintendo predicted and if you don't think some of the reasons they didn't are the above than I don't know what to tell you. I think I can speak fairly confidently on what people desire and expect in this day and age of gaming and what is causing Nintendo's troubles. My issue is not their games necessarily, it's everything that compliments them that Nintendo is lacking on. Simply wanting Nintendo to live in the 21st century isn't arrogant, it's called having realistic expectations.

#83 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4463 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

Variety? Perhaps on the 3DS, I was referring more to the U.

But you're right, I'm arrogant to say that people want to have a universal account system. That they want Nintendo to take more risks instead of banking so heavily on Mario, Mario, Mario. That people want a VC that releases games faster than the pace of a snail, and that they don't want to pay $300 for eight year old tech. That they want online in their games.

These are the same people that didn't buy 6.5 million U's that Nintendo predicted and if you don't think some of the reasons they didn't are the above than I don't know what to tell you. I think I can speak fairly confidently on what people desire and expect in this day and age of gaming and what is causing Nintendo's troubles. My issue is not their games necessarily, it's everything that compliments them that Nintendo is lacking on. Simply wanting Nintendo to live in the 21st century isn't arrogant, it's called having realistic expectations.

Yeah, I agree with this. As far as their games go, they could do some things better, but for the most part they're doing great. Outside of games though? Pretty miserable. I don't really care for online gaming, and the below average specs don't bother me one bit. That's just me though, and it's obvious that the majority of the consumer base wants a robust network with hardware comparable to the competition.

#84 Edited by nintendoboy16 (25827 posts) -

Also, I swear people are missing the point when they say "no iOS, consoles, this writer is stupid."

First off, he brings up iOS because analysts are bringing that up the most. Fewer spots are saying the same for consoles/PC.

Second, iOS or Consoles, it doesn't matter. Nintendo would still sell-out all the same.

And third, if you think PS/XBOX/PC consoles have a better chance at success for Nintendo than iOS, then you couldn't be anymore wrong. It would be about the same, as in, WAY too little. I've repeated myself on this matter so many times, so I'm trying not to bother.

#85 Edited by StrongDeadlift (5131 posts) -

Anybody who thinks Nintendo should go third party is an idiot. That would be literally the WORST thing they could do. Thats what killed Sega. ReviewTechUSA made a very good video about why it is a terrible idea.

All of that being said, the Wii U is a failure in every reguard, and there is NOTHING Nintendo can say or do about it to change that at this point. But, will it "kill" Nintendo? No, it will not. If they DID go third party, THAT would, however, kill them.

The ONLY thing Nintendo can do is grin and bear it for the next 5 years, whilst continuing to support the platform. They'll get'em next time.

#86 Posted by nintendoboy16 (25827 posts) -

@Gargus said:

They should though. Then they could stop posting losses and alienating customers by putting out shit rehashed hardware every so often with a new gimmick attached to it that no one ever truly wants. All their customers care about is playing the 37th Zelda game, or the 189th Mario game, no one actually gives a shit about Nintendo hardware because everything they have released in the last decade has been severly underpowered compared to the competition. There isn't a single Nintendo game that cant run just as well if not a lot better on their competitions systems.

They would sell just as many games if they went 3rd party if not more because its obvious people want to buy other consoles more than Nintendo ones so they would have a bigger audience of gamers to play their stuff. If they went multi plat with pikimin 3 it would have sold a whole hell of a lot more, not to mention it would be on systems powerful enough to handle online co-op.

Nintendo should just stop with the half assed hardware, stop doing the shitty online, stop making gimmicks and just do what they do best, crank out sequel after sequel after sequel and put them on other systems. They would stop pissing off and dissapointing so many people and they would make a hell of a lot more money.

What, and killing off their hardware pre-maturely won't piss people off? Besides, why the hell do you care if Nintendo goes third party if you admit to hating their asses for rehashes anyway?

#87 Edited by _Matt_ (8789 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

@_Matt_ said:

@hiphops_savior said:

@_Matt_: Your right, Nintendo can withstand the Wii U for at least a couple of years. That doesn't mean all's well, however. It gives Nintendo a chance to reevaluate their policies and their course of action. Should they take the concept of convergence further with the 3DS successor? Or should they look into expanding their portfolio?

I think the 3DS is in due course for a decline from now until the next console released. Something big is going to happen in 2015, and we might not even see a Zelda game on the Wii U.

Of course, a change is due; but I think if anything, it makes me excited to see what Nintendo will do now. They're under pressure to improve, and they can't just sit back, we could see a return of Nintendo in a big way in a few years, or just an interesting new direction, who knows?

I'm more worried than excited. Nintendo is a company that is extremely out of touch with what people want. I have a feeling they are going to attribute their failings to places where the problem doesn't exist, and then will try to fix things that have nothing to do with what has caused them to be where they are currently.

They're probably going to go mobile, F2P, or some other garbage route while not even acknowledging that their online lacks, they have no diversity in their game library, their hardware is overpriced and gimmick laden, and their philosophies are wrong. THESE are the problems and what needs to be addressed. Yet what we're going to see on the 30th is some new phone from them or some shit.

I agree, they are out of touch at the moment,

but I would argue that that is all due to them riding on the success of the Wii and DS. They got lazy, they figured they could just go down the same route again without even properly researching market direction, etc.. I think the WiiU has been a wake up call for them, and I am optimistic that they will have learned from it, and put proper effort into whatever direction they now pursue.

#88 Posted by _Matt_ (8789 posts) -

@_Matt_:

Or they can end up pulling a Sega no matter what they try and do. The Dreamcast may have been a very successful console if not for the Saturn ruining their reputation.

I highly doubt that's going to happen.

#89 Edited by nintendoboy16 (25827 posts) -
#90 Posted by Crossel777 (5593 posts) -

Alternatively.. they could just keep releasing consoles.. That fail... dying... slowly... bleeding sales.

Sure, that's not stupid at all.

#91 Edited by Suppaman100 (3596 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

The article is about mobile, not third party console/PC. You stupid OP?

This.

Ninty third party would be good for gamers. Brb playing mario, zelda,... on PS4.

But indeed, they earn a lot of money with their gimmi..hardware.

#92 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

Charizard, do you think we can call making games for Playstation/Xbox/PC "Going third party" and making smartphone games as "Going mobile" Because nobody wants Nintendo to go Mobile, and alot of people want them to go third party.

For the record, i would rather Nintendo just stay in the hardware race because i would rather buy their hardware than risk them going mobile.

#93 Edited by freedomfreak (38251 posts) -

Yeah, because most people that want Nintendo to go third party, want it because they prefer playing those games on mobile.

#94 Edited by nintendoboy16 (25827 posts) -

@crimsonman1245 said:

Charizard, do you think we can call making games for Playstation/Xbox/PC "Going third party" and making smartphone games as "Going mobile" Because nobody wants Nintendo to go Mobile, and alot of people want them to go third party.

In Nintendo's sake, as they are still in the hardware business, they are one in the same, especially since both require Nintendo moving from their own hardware to those that belong to other companies.

#95 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4352 posts) -

His artilce is stupid. If Nintengo goes third-party, it won't go to tablets and cellphones, but to xbox, ps and PC. A typical nintendo fanboy who wants to keep nintendo exclusives for himself. Grow up, people. Multiplatforming is the future.

#96 Posted by heretrix (37253 posts) -

While I agree that going 3rd party is a very long shot, it's equally stupid to automatically assume that they would go to a touch screen platform when they would have two very strong platforms along with the PC to develop for. The Super Mario 3 on a phone example is beyond idiotic. They wouldn't do it. What they would do is make a Mario game suited to be on a tablet, like those "runner" type games.

I think when people are saying that they want Nintendo to go 3rd party they are talking about making asinine app store games, they are talking about games for OTHER consoles. You know, the ones with actual 3rd party support.

#97 Posted by Sushiglutton (5173 posts) -

I don't want to spend money on a Nintendo console, but I'd like to play a couple of their games (primarily Zelda). If they went third party I could. I don't see how it would be stupid of me to want them to go third party (it is egoistic though :) ).

#98 Edited by edidili (3446 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Before Nintendo would ever put any content onto the App Store

This again. I have no idea why people think if Nintendo ever goes third party would go to app store. This makes no sense to me. The last place Nintendo games would go is in a touch device. Their games are mostly platformers which need some really solid control inputs. Why the hell do people keep mentioning app store?

#99 Posted by bforrester420 (1043 posts) -

Until Nintendo produces a standard, vanilla console (none of this dual screen or motion-centric gaming), I'm staying away from them like a plague. Being a nostalgic Nintendo gamer, I haven't missed their games. The Wii was the first Nintendo console I owned since the N64 and I hated the Wii.

#100 Posted by nintendoboy16 (25827 posts) -

@edidili said:

@charizard1605 said:

Before Nintendo would ever put any content onto the App Store

This again. I have no idea why people think if Nintendo ever goes third party would go to app store. This makes no sense to me. The last place Nintendo games would go is in a touch device. Their games are mostly platformers which need some really solid control inputs. Why the hell do people keep mentioning app store?

Because analysts suggest it commonly. Like it really matters what people "want" Nintendo to jump ship to anyway, because between mobile and rival systems, it makes no damn difference to a current hardware maker like Nintendo, as they'll sell out all the same.