Windows 8 vs Windows 7: Dispelling myths.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
It does absolutely nothing for me to need the upgrade. tagyhag
Aye aye, this. That and I want nothing to do with Metro on my desktop at all. Ugh. However on those surface tablets running the full version of Windows 8? That's really, really ****ing cool. Once the hardware matures I'd consider buying one, the thought of running a full Windows OS - with all that software compatitibility on the fly using a tablet - that can connect a keyboard or mouse is godamn astounding.
PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

Does Windows 8 support software that work on Win7? Are there compatibility issues? Or is it like Vista/Win7 as in if it works on Vita it will work on Win7?

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#203 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
I wouldn't waste my time with Windows 8. I still have a full version of Windows 7 for my next PC I'll be building this year. I'd gladly stick with Windows XP. So glad I got my laptop before Win8 was released. The O/S is a mess. It's one of the reasons people are staying away from the Surface RT.
LLYNCES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 LLYNCES
Member since 2012 • 378 Posts

I'll be sticking with Windows 7, I see no reason to change my OS when it's the best one since XP. Windows 8 is basically what Vista was, it tried a bunch of new things but it wasn't perfect. Windows 7 perfected Vista, just like Windows 9 will more than likely perfect Windows 8.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#205 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
The problem with searching by typing is that many people remember where things are spatially. I know for sure that I have had trouble finding programs in Windows 8 because I can't remember the exact name of the program (did it have the software makers name in it? Was it spelt with an 'x' or 'ex'? etc). Being able to install the old start bar does alleviate that though. Other than that the only other trouble I've had is drivers not working (which is expected at the start of a new OS life-cycle).
WadeKuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 WadeKuun
Member since 2012 • 161 Posts
I like how pleasing it is on the eyes and the app store shows promise but it ain't worth the money right now. Especially with some manufacturers not having Win8 drivers.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

The problem with searching by typing is that many people remember where things are spatially. I know for sure that I have had trouble finding programs in Windows 8 because I can't remember the exact name of the program (did it have the software makers name in it? Was it spelt with an 'x' or 'ex'? etc). Being able to install the old start bar does alleviate that though. Other than that the only other trouble I've had is drivers not working (which is expected at the start of a new OS life-cycle). Articuno76

The tiles in the start menu for Windows 8 dont jump around or randomly change location. They are in the same places they've always been arranged.

And no, finding them by typing is still your best option. If you cant remember if its 'ex' or 'x'...just ype in 'x' and it will find both. Rarely will you ever need more than 3 or 4 letters of the application, and not even the first 4.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 Articuno76

[QUOTE="Articuno76"]The problem with searching by typing is that many people remember where things are spatially. I know for sure that I have had trouble finding programs in Windows 8 because I can't remember the exact name of the program (did it have the software makers name in it? Was it spelt with an 'x' or 'ex'? etc). Being able to install the old start bar does alleviate that though. Other than that the only other trouble I've had is drivers not working (which is expected at the start of a new OS life-cycle). XaosII

The tiles in the start menu for Windows 8 dont jump around or randomly change location. They are in the same places they've always been arranged.

And no, finding them by typing is still your best option. If you cant remember if its 'ex' or 'x'...just ype in 'x' and it will find both. Rarely will you ever need more than 3 or 4 letters of the application, and not even the first 4.

They don't move around, but they are off-screen. Moreover not everything I install appears on the tile list and the point about typing is supposed to point out that if you don't know the right word finding things can be hard; tying 'x' is a horrible idea if you have hundreds of things beginning with x, and typing is totally out of the question if you only remember the program function but not the name (not a problem on the old start bar because 'you know it when you see it'). Even when I do get the recalled list of hits, it still doesn't find me what I want per se, and I have to fall back on visual navigation (which is what I wanted to do anyway, so why the hoops?). I get the distinct impression that when MS focus-grouped the new interface they didn't account for the broad range of memory types and recall styles that different people employ. For people who use the text search and name recall as their primary search means its all well and good...not so much for everyone else. Sadly people with different recall strategies will never really be able to understand this (which is why MS and users like yourself are probably flabbergasted at why 'people just don't get it because it is the same'). The closest comparison I can make is like this: Finding things in Windows 7 was like looking for things in a drawer that was a little cluttered. You still knew where things were. In Windows 8 it is like more like filling out a form listing the items you want and having an attendant fetch them for you; it works but it feels two steps removed from simply sticking your hand in the drawer and getting it yourself. Actually Windows 8 is kinda like shopping at Argos as opposed to you regular retail experience. If you don't really 'get' what I mean by that then you are one of the many people whose memory works in a different way from those alienated by Windows 8. Any rational attempt to understand it will fail because it isn't logical, it's just the way peoples memories and minds work. Nothing can change the fact that through my own experience, I find finding things more of chore in Windows 8 than in 7. Don't even get me started on my task bar getting stuck (I use auto-hide) and not being able to recall it with the Windows key any more. Heck I had to go to the trouble of creating a 'My Computer' short-cut because again, MS is set on eliminating an old navigation style instead of accommodating variation. Very infuriating. Now if this new navigation style came with some major pluses it might be worth it, but it doesn't. It's just another style (that admittedly is a great new addition for certain users), but did all the old styles of navigation have to go/become obscure because of it? Surely having choice is the best option of all? How about having the traditional menu come up if you hold the Windows key and the new one come up if you tap it (naturally there could be options to reverse this for users who prefer the old system).
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 Articuno76

^ I've looked at it again and another thing I've noticed is that it doesn't have folders/sub-folders arranged in a neat way like the Old Start-bar, things are just all over the screen. I am sure could organise things to suit regular navigation tendencies but...well why bother? And why do I have to do it? It's silly. I can't understand why old methods would be removed. It's mind boggling.

Again, for some people navigating by increasingly precise steps through folders in the Start menu was the most intuitive form of navigation. And again, if you don't really 'get it' then there is nothing I can tell those people. This is one of those things you either get or don't. What annoys me is MS telling people that we are wrong if we don't get it...the fact that so many Windows 8 kiosks exist telling us how to use the interface (not just to tell us about the OS but to actively educate on it) goes to show how unintuitive it is to a great majority of people. And for that Windows 8 will suffer. By Windows 9 users will either be given an option or the interoperability between the two interfaces will blend together better. MS can't afford to ignore the significant number of people who 'don't get it'.

Truth be told the problem people have with Windows 8 is almost entirely one of navigation with the new interface. It seems arrogant of a company to tell all its customers that they are wrong. No MS. You are wrong. If we don't get it, it is your fault for failing to create an interface that takes into account the user.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 Articuno76
Just installed Start8. That's better. I have navigation tools I can use that don't snap me jarringly out of the desktop experience.
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

Windows 8 has a trivial layout compared to Windows 7. I'm 100% against UI's that require you to click and do more than you should or have unecessary designs. Windows 8 was designed for touchscreen, not for mouse & keyboard. To pretend it somehow is more useful than 7 is just silly.

There's absolutely nothing Win8 does that makes it more appealing than Win7 other than PC refresh. The fact that it switches between Metro & Desktop depending on the app just tells me that it's broken in the sense that there's no real 'Home' in it.

I recieved a free copy of 8 and I honestly still don't even care to use it.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Windows 8 has a trivial layout compared to Windows 7. I'm 100% against UI's that require you to click and do more than you should or have unecessary designs. Windows 8 was designed for touchscreen, not for mouse & keyboard. To pretend it somehow is more useful than 7 is just silly.

There's absolutely nothing Win8 does that makes it more appealing than Win7 other than PC refresh. The fact that it switches between Metro & Desktop depending on the app just tells me that it's broken in the sense that there's no real 'Home' in it.

Mystic-G
Can I has your Windows 8 key if you don't want to use it? :)
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

[QUOTE="Mystic-G"]

ShadowDeathX

Can I has your Windows 8 key if you don't want to use it? :)

Nah, I have to eventually use it regardless if I want to or not.

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

Does Windows 8 support software that work on Win7? Are there compatibility issues? Or is it like Vista/Win7 as in if it works on Vita it will work on Win7?

PCgameruk

Win 8 is built on top of Win7 so it should support software that works for Win7.

I haven't had any compatability issues with Win8.

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts

One thing I have noticed with Windows 8 regarding the apps, is that they seem to designed for touchscreens, and don't take into account the fact that they might will be used on traditional x86 PCs as well. Hydro Thunder Hurricane is big one for me that does this, it has taken away the ability to accelerate/deccelerate with no option to turn it back on. While it makes sense on a touchscreen device, on a regular PC that has a keyboard there is no reason to not have that ability. I also don't understand why you would use any of the Metro Apps on a PC since there are likely desktop alternatives that aren't as stripped down and they would allow easier multitasking.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]I'm moving from XP to Linux.V3rciS
This... it's just that I'll be moving from Win 7 to Linux.

Same. I'll dual boot for a while, but Windows 7 will be my last Windows operating system. On a somewhat related note, Roccat offer great, open source Linux support for their gaming peripherals.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

Linux is the future I think.

hexashadow13

Until the average person's computer skills improve immensely, that ain't gonna happen.

Mint, Lite, and a few others are just as easy to use as Windows, and that's going by my 57 year old mother who is quite likely a below average user.

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#218 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts
[QUOTE="tagyhag"]It does absolutely nothing for me to need the upgrade. clyde46

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#220 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts

Windows 8 boots faster, runs better, runs games better and shuts down faster. Not much to complain about.

Zophar87
Pretty much.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

I know its laughable isn't it? most of the ""features"" removed is stuff that no one besides casuals used anyways.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

there is not a single benefit for me to switch compared to my curent win 7 64. Absolutely nothing. I'm not going to get it and then use 3rd party software to turn it back into win7 just so I can enjoy something I already had

wis3boi
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

[QUOTE="hexashadow13"][QUOTE="Chozofication"]

Linux is the future I think.

Hexagon_777

Until the average person's computer skills improve immensely, that ain't gonna happen.

Mint, Lite, and a few others are just as easy to use as Windows, and that's going by my 57 year old mother who is quite likely a below average user.

lol liar.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#224 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

I'm pretty sure I can get it for free or super cheap because I'm a student. I just don't care enough to install it. All I use my pc for is watching movies/tv shows, browsing the web, doing homework, and playing games. I'm just too lazy to get it.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#225 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

[QUOTE="V3rciS"][QUOTE="Zeviander"]I'm moving from XP to Linux.Hexagon_777

This... it's just that I'll be moving from Win 7 to Linux.

Same. I'll dual boot for a while, but Windows 7 will be my last Windows operating system. On a somewhat related note, Roccat offer great, open source Linux support for their gaming peripherals.

Have fun playing all those pc games on linux- oh wait...

Exxite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Exxite
Member since 2009 • 171 Posts

This may change (barely if any; same drivers are used for both oses so it can't be much different than windows 7 deep down) since this was posted in august http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Microsoft/Windows_8_Graphics_Performance/1.html . Just a hads up the article solely focuses on gaming.

Actual performance charts and stuff. People make your own decision. From the article it seems game performance is amost identical.

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts
I actually started using it today and its ok. i am not caring for the new start menu, but i do like the apps like netflix, mail,weather, iheartradio. The best thing is the speed.
cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#228 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1840 Posts

Quite frankly I don't want to relearn all the locations of this crap (settings, control panel locations, hardware, network)......*sigh*..........again. And this time with a stupid tablet design function. Sucked enough with the jumped from windows xp to 7/vista. If thats my fault then like Akon said "just put the blame on me".

And pretty much this:

there is not a single benefit for me to switch compared to my curent win 7 64. Absolutely nothing. I'm not going to get it and then use 3rd party software to turn it back into win7 just so I can enjoy something I already had

wis3boi

darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 darkmark91
Member since 2006 • 3047 Posts

I just bought a new laptop about a week ago with Windows 8 and all I can say is I'm loving everything about it so far. For all you guys complaning about the Start button, its still there. Just hit the Widows key and start typing out a program, pic, vid, ect then poof it finds it. Win 8 just does it in a different "looking" way.

Think about it this way. You yell out to your girlfriend to make you a turkey sandwich. She comes back with one. The next day she dyes her hair a different color. And yet again you yell out to her to make you a turkey sandwich. As always like the good girl friend you wish you had she brings it to you. There is nothing different other than the way she presents it to you.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

myth: Windows 8 offers absolutely no advantage for people to move on and "upgrade" from windows 7

oh wait, thats true.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#231 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I upgraded to windows8 and thanks to one download, Start8, I have the os looking and acting exactly like win7. I boot directly to the desktop, I never have to use the Metro layout at all. To all the haters- one click download a simple program and youve got a faster windows 7.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#232 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

FACT 1 for TC: Windows 8 currently does not support windows xp era games

this has been proven. dx9.0c or earlier native games have 0 support atm despite microsofts claim otherwise. until this is fixed playing games that use UE3 prior to the 3.95 revision flat out do not work. and thats not even the start of this iceberg. i dont even want to discuss jupter ex, chrome, cryengine 1, and havok (pre skyrim)

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts
I've not yet tried 8 but hear it's pretty terrible if you're not using a tablet. From what I hear, you cannot have two (or more) "windows" open at the same time. Is this true? If so, how is this an improvement? Also, I've heard that one needs to swipe (like with a finger but with the mouse) to get to certain functions, and that it's very easy for 8 to mistake one movement for another. How is this more desireable or efficient, or adds better functionality? Again, I've not used it but these changes sound absolutely awful.
sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 sailor232

I've not yet tried 8 but hear it's pretty terrible if you're not using a tablet. From what I hear, you cannot have two (or more) "windows" open at the same time. Is this true? If so, how is this an improvement? Also, I've heard that one needs to swipe (like with a finger but with the mouse) to get to certain functions, and that it's very easy for 8 to mistake one movement for another. How is this more desireable or efficient, or adds better functionality? Again, I've not used it but these changes sound absolutely awful. MirkoS77

Like I already posted, download any of the start menu apps and you will never have to worry about using Metro, it will be exactly like windows 7. Bang, I dont get why people moan about Metro, you dont have to use it.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#236 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]I've not yet tried 8 but hear it's pretty terrible if you're not using a tablet. From what I hear, you cannot have two (or more) "windows" open at the same time. Is this true? If so, how is this an improvement? Also, I've heard that one needs to swipe (like with a finger but with the mouse) to get to certain functions, and that it's very easy for 8 to mistake one movement for another. How is this more desireable or efficient, or adds better functionality? Again, I've not used it but these changes sound absolutely awful. sailor232

Like I already posted, download any of the start menu apps and you will never have to worry about using Metro, it will be exactly like windows 7. Bang, I dont get why people moan about Metro, you dont have to use it.

As I understood Metro will always be there on startup, unless you use workarounds that are all temporary because MS is actively trying to overwrite those programs? That's just something I heard, dunno if that is true? Cus I wouldn't even want it to start up in Metro. I dun like ads and the weird decisions they made (sidescrolling and right click menu's on the bottom and weird search idio... idio-sin-crazies.).
hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
I've not yet tried 8 but hear it's pretty terrible if you're not using a tablet. From what I hear, you cannot have two (or more) "windows" open at the same time. Is this true? If so, how is this an improvement? Also, I've heard that one needs to swipe (like with a finger but with the mouse) to get to certain functions, and that it's very easy for 8 to mistake one movement for another. How is this more desireable or efficient, or adds better functionality? Again, I've not used it but these changes sound absolutely awful. MirkoS77
I have no idea what you're talking about for any of that. O.o
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="hexashadow13"] Until the average person's computer skills improve immensely, that ain't gonna happen.WilliamRLBaker

lol liar.

Not gonna link you to her Facebook page, creeper.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="V3rciS"]This... it's just that I'll be moving from Win 7 to Linux.cain006

Have fun playing all those pc games on linux- oh wait...

Oh, wait, I have enough games to play as is and don't have time to spend 10 hours a day gaming so it doesn't matter, lawl.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]Mint, Lite, and a few others are just as easy to use as Windows, and that's going by my 57 year old mother who is quite likely a below average user.

Hexagon_777

lol liar.

Not gonna link you to her Facebook page, creeper.

Truth anyone who can't use the friendly versions of Linux now probably has trouble adding two single digit numbers too.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

FACT 1 for TC: Windows 8 currently does not support windows xp era games

this has been proven. dx9.0c or earlier native games have 0 support atm despite microsofts claim otherwise. until this is fixed playing games that use UE3 prior to the 3.95 revision flat out do not work. and thats not even the start of this iceberg. i dont even want to discuss jupter ex, chrome, cryengine 1, and havok (pre skyrim)

ionusX
What are you smoking? I want some.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#242 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]I've not yet tried 8 but hear it's pretty terrible if you're not using a tablet. From what I hear, you cannot have two (or more) "windows" open at the same time. Is this true? If so, how is this an improvement? Also, I've heard that one needs to swipe (like with a finger but with the mouse) to get to certain functions, and that it's very easy for 8 to mistake one movement for another. How is this more desireable or efficient, or adds better functionality? Again, I've not used it but these changes sound absolutely awful. sailor232

and this is why people don't buy win8. Because you're returning back to what you had already

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

[QUOTE="sailor232"]

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]I've not yet tried 8 but hear it's pretty terrible if you're not using a tablet. From what I hear, you cannot have two (or more) "windows" open at the same time. Is this true? If so, how is this an improvement? Also, I've heard that one needs to swipe (like with a finger but with the mouse) to get to certain functions, and that it's very easy for 8 to mistake one movement for another. How is this more desireable or efficient, or adds better functionality? Again, I've not used it but these changes sound absolutely awful. wis3boi

and this is why people don't buy win8. Because you're returning back to what you had already

Exactly what I was about to ask. If you have to go through all that trouble, why bother? Because it's a little faster? My Win 7 is more than adequate.

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

I absolutely hate Windows 8.

Want to know why? It's not because of the new features, the speed, metro, the removed features or troubles running older games. I hate it because without a pre-boot method of getting to safe mode it's a complete ball ache to fix when it goes wrong (see driver issues, viruses etc) .... and as a techie who fixes this stuff I can tell you it goes wrong quite often.

Microsoft's excuse? Oh, well on an SSD it boots too fast to press F8 hurr durr. Well how about letting me hold down a key when I power on the machine you dimwits. In fact, I now HAVE to use Linux to fix Windows ...

/rant off.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

so people get to pay to use something that needs an app to emulate something we already have.....to win a few seconds in the start up....OK sounds like a great and worthy upgrade for me:lol:

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 sailor232

[QUOTE="sailor232"]

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]I've not yet tried 8 but hear it's pretty terrible if you're not using a tablet. From what I hear, you cannot have two (or more) "windows" open at the same time. Is this true? If so, how is this an improvement? Also, I've heard that one needs to swipe (like with a finger but with the mouse) to get to certain functions, and that it's very easy for 8 to mistake one movement for another. How is this more desireable or efficient, or adds better functionality? Again, I've not used it but these changes sound absolutely awful. KungfuKitten

As I understood Metro will always be there on startup, unless you use workarounds that are all temporary because MS is actively trying to overwrite those programs? That's just something I heard, dunno if that is true? Cus I wouldn't even want it to start up in Metro. I dun like ads and the weird decisions they made (sidescrolling and right click menu's on the bottom and weird search idio... idio-sin-crazies.).

No, I own the OS, Im using it now, and I never have to deal with Metro, Ever. Why would I defend it, I have windows 7 Dvd sitting next to me, I could easily go back, but there is no need to, as 8 is almost identical, but faster.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
[QUOTE="tagyhag"]It does absolutely nothing for me to need the upgrade. Plagueless
Fair enough, I can see that. However what I don't understand is people building new PC's with Windows 7.

Because it is a worse os out of the box for a keyboard and mouse system than windows 7. sure you can get a start menu but they should never have replaced it with metro on non touch devices in the first place. Do you really want metro on your work pc that you will be using for 8 hours a day? Windows 8 is great for touch devices but it is worse without tweaks for keyboard and mouse navigation.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

[QUOTE="Plagueless"] It's less resource-hungry. While you won't see any noticeable improvement in most games, in CPU-heavy games like RTS's and Simulators you can usually expect a 10 FPS improvement with Windows 8.Plagueless

The difference seemed even bigger in Shogun 2 Total War I hope results like that happen when Rome 2 comes

Exactly. It's definitely nothing to brag about, but it is something to take into consideration. With computers getting faster, and the new OS being leaner, you'll likely see even bigger differences as time wears on.

There is next to no difference between then and there are games that perform worse on windows 8, the os makes next to no difference for gaming. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-8-gaming-performance,3331-5.html
jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Just saw it on 9gag:D

Microsoft Upgrade

lonewolfman10

Forum Posts