Windows 8 vs Windows 7: Dispelling myths.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Plagueless
Member since 2010 • 2569 Posts

Over the past few months I have seen quite a few posts here on system wars proclaiming that Windows 8 is garbage, removed many features, locked in Metro, etc. In reality this is not the case. Here I'm going to try to show you why Windows 8 is a great OS, and why upgrades and new builds should use it.

Fallacy #1: Windows 8 removed many features from Windows 7.

Let's think about this for a minute. What can you think of that you know was removed in Windows 8? Chances are, only one thing: The Start Menu.

Now, since I know many of you will never try Windows 8 because of this, I'd like to tell you something. There are multiple ways to get your precious Start Menu back in a matter of seconds. Either Start8 or the Pokki Start Menu can be used to get a full start menu identicalto Windows 7. Not only that, but these programs allow you to customize the Start menu FAR more than any true Windows ever has, leading to the shocking reality that.....The Start Menu can be BETTER in Windows 8? However, this is not the main point of this, as I'm sure that once you've used Windows 8 for long enough, you'll never see the need for that dumb menu again.

Now, onto the main point. Many people seem to think that Windows 8 is lacking in features that were present in Win 7. While there are a few things that are gone (I will list them below) they are not the sort of things that most people will care about or even notice that are gone.

1. No DVD playback through Windows Media Player. - Seriously, when was the last time you used your PC, to play a DVD, with MS's crappy software to boot? Win 8 still supports 3rd party players if you wish to watch DVD's on your PC.

2. Windows Desktop Gadgets Removed - Do you even know what these are?
3. Games Removed: Chess, Majong, and Solitare - They are available on the MS Store.
4. Search function: Must search using the Start screen and specify apps, files, or programs. - This is actually a pro due to the massive increase in speed over the old Search bar.
5. User accounts require password - Oh boy, big deal.
6. Windows DVD Maker removed

And that's pretty much it with regard to "removed" features. There were many other things that were changed or moved, but they were no removed, such as the Backup & Restore Control Panel, which was simply renamed Windows 7 File Recovery.

Fallacy #2: Windows 8 brings nothing new to the table other than flashy touch menu.

This has to be one of the biggest loads of crap the Win 8 hate camp has brought. Let me enlighten you all.

Features added in Windows 8

1. Metro Apps & Windows Store - allows for Modern apps to run, which are much less demanding than traditional applications, allowing for more multitasking.

2. New customization options. - You can now customize the lock screen, profile image, Start Screen Theme, start screen layout, and more in addition to the desktop.

3. Microsoft account integration -User accounts can now be linked to aMicrosoft accountto provide additional functionality, such as the synchronization of user data, and integration with other Microsoft services such asXbox Live,Xbox Music,Xbox Video(for gaming and multimedia) andSkyDriveonline storage.

4. Improved multi-monitor support - Windows 8 now allows the taskbar across multiple monitors, and each display can have it's own dedicated taskbar. Displays can now have seperate wallpapers.

5. File Explorer -Windows Explorer, which has been renamedFile Explorer, now incorporates aribbontoolbar, designed to bring forward the most commonly used commands for easy access. The "Up" button (which advances the user back a level in the folder hierarchy) that was removed from Explorer afterWindows XPhas also been restored.File Explorer also provides a built-in function for mountingISO,IMG, andVHDfiles as virtual drives.Progress windows for file operations have been redesigned; offering the ability to show multiple operations at once, a graph for tracking transfer speeds, and the ability to pause and resume a file transfer.A new interface has also been introduced for managing file name collisions in a file operation, allowing users to easily control which conflicting files are copied.Windows 8 allows users to remove theFavoriteshierarchy from File Explorer's navigation pane through Folder Options dialog box.Libraries, introduced in Windows 7, can now have their individual icons changed through the user interface.Previously, users had to change icons manually through Notepad or third-party tools.

6. Task Manager - The Task manager has been redesigned, highlighting programs using more power and showing their draws in a much easier to read cell format. The performance tab now shows disk, Ethernet, and wireless network usage as well as the traditional CPU & Memory usage. The task manager also now has a Startup tab, where users can easily change the programs lauched on system startup without digging through configuration menus.

7. File History - File Historyis aContinuous data protectioncomponent similar toMac OS X'sTime Machine. ItdeprecatesthePrevious VersionsandBackup and Restorefeatures on Windows 8.File History automatically createsincremental backupsof files stored in Libraries and user-specified folders to an external storage device (such as a secondary hard drive, Storage Space, or network share). Users can then track and restore specific revisions of files using the "History" functions in File Explorer. Unlike Shadow Copy, which performs block level tracking of files, File History utilizes theUSN Journalto track changes, and simply copies new versions of files to the backup location.UnlikeBackup and Restoreit cannot backup files encrypted withEFS

8. Hardware support - Windows 8 adds native USB 3.0 support, which allows for faster data transfers and improved power management with compatible devices. Support for Advanced Format hard drives is included for the first time.

9. Startup Speed -when Windows 8 is shut down, it defaults to a "hybrid boot" mode; when the operating system is shut down, ithibernatesthe kernel, allowing for a faster boot on the subsequent startup.This is further compounded with support for multiple cores during bootup.This is especially noticable with an SSD, with systems being able to boot from cold start in less than 8 seconds.

10. Storage Spaces - This allows for multiple drives to be consolidated into one storage pool, simplifying file browsing on systems with many hard drives.

11. Windows To Go - Windows To Go is a Windows 8 Enterprise feature that allows users to create a bootable USB Flash drive with Windows 8 in it, including the user's programs, settings, and files.

Along with the fact that Windows 8 is less resource hungry, faster, smoother, and just plain fun to use, why is there such negative stigma around this new OS? Everything you know and love about Windows 7 is there, right down to that good old Start Menu should you wish to add it (I doubt you will) and it's new features far outstrip any small loss.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
It does absolutely nothing for me to need the upgrade.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
It does absolutely nothing for me to need the upgrade. tagyhag
Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Plagueless
Fair enough, I can see that. However what I don't understand is people building new PC's with Windows 7.
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

I don't mind using it for my next PC especially since it's going to be an HTPC the metro UI seems to fit the large screen and living room environment very well

it's not like Windows 7 didn't removed features from Vista and XP, the only one I can think of that matters to me is that they took away the ability to make Videos backgrounds which I thought was pretty damn cool

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

there is not a single benefit for me to switch compared to my curent win 7 64. Absolutely nothing. I'm not going to get it and then use 3rd party software to turn it back into win7 just so I can enjoy something I already had

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
8 scares me.
V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

Man I'm pretty happy with my Win7... actually I don't like the way MS went with Win8. It looks like tablet or something... all these widgets and stuff, overall feels like casual OS.
If I'll have to upgrade from Win7 most probably I'll go with Linux. Considering how popular Linux is becomming day after day, then it's free.. open and powerfull, and many devs now release a Linux version of the game aswell. I believe in the next few years Linux will grow a lot and will become mainstream and very userfriendly

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17425 Posts
It was built for mobile and touch interfaces, which is where the industry is headed, and fast. It is about time we had software built from the ground up with touch in mind, rather than implementing touch AFTER. Android sucks on tablets imo because you need so many apps for all the stuff you want to do, whereas with windows 8, it is alll built into the interface, and i can change the spaces as i please, never having to launch a seperate app. I enjoy that, and i hope that sony and MS implement that into the next consoles. I like having all my info right there in front of me.
hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
The new stuff is actually pretty nice once you get used to it. The metro shell thingy is better than the old Start Menu imo.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
Probably the same reason why a lot of ppl stuck with xp for almost a decade Also
[QUOTE="tagyhag"]It does absolutely nothing for me to need the upgrade. clyde46

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

Windows 8 boots faster, runs better, runs games better and shuts down faster. Not much to complain about.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#13 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

The only reason I have 8 is because I got a new PC recently and I think 7 is way better than it.

Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Plagueless
I have now updated the thread because it was not my intention to ask why users hadn't upgraded to Windows 8, just to find out what their dislike of it was based on. It's perfectly reasonable to not want to upgrade, however it is not to spout falsehoods about how Windows 8 sucks compared to 7.
hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hexashadow13

Man I'm pretty happy with my Win7... actually I don't like the way MS went with Win8. It looks like tablet or something... all these widgets and stuff, overall feels like casual OS.
If I'll have to upgrade from Win7 most probably I'll go with Linux. Considering how popular Linux is becomming day after day, then it's free.. open and powerfull, and many devs now release a Linux version of the game aswell. I believe in the next few years Linux will grow a lot and will become mainstream and very userfriendly

V3rciS
Wat? Desktop widgets are actually one of the few things removed from Win8 compared to Win7. You can still have them on the lock screen, but those are hardly in the way. :/ What makes it feel casual?
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Windows 8 boots faster, runs better, runs games better and shuts down faster. Not much to complain about.

Zophar87

Proof it runs games better?

Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Plagueless

The only reason I have 8 is because I got a new PC recently and I think 7 is way better than it.

HaloPimp978
Care to elaborate a bit? This is exactly what I was trying to get at with the thread.
BigDaddyPOLO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BigDaddyPOLO
Member since 2005 • 2251 Posts

I don't want to pay money for metro

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 V3rciS

Zophar87

for a casual user yes, maybe!

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i had xp on my 2004 PC until last week. last week i bought a new PC with windows 8...

no issues so far...i'm still learning it though.. it's nice

btw..

it's not a gamming PC..

it has a AMD Radeon 7570 GPU...middle class

but it has an i5 cpu and 8GB of RAM so thats good.

Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Plagueless

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

lostrib

It's less resource-hungry. While you won't see any noticeable improvement in most games, in CPU-heavy games like RTS's and Simulators you can usually expect a 10 FPS improvement with Windows 8.
Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Plagueless

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

V3rciS

Actually, no....It's just a fact that it's faster. :roll:
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
I'm moving from XP to Linux.
Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zophar87

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

V3rciS

Casual user? Hardly. Clearly, you're still mad that I completely debunked the Vita last night. Windows 8 runs my modded Skyrim game about 10% than it ever did on Windows 7. Windows 8 doesn't use as many resources as Windows 7.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

Plagueless

It's less resource-hungry. While you won't see any noticeable improvement in most games, in CPU-heavy games like RTS's and Simulators you can usually expect a 10 FPS improvement with Windows 8.

The difference seemed even bigger in Shogun 2 Total War I hope results like that happen when Rome 2 comes

MSXBOX4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MSXBOX4EVER
Member since 2012 • 604 Posts

GUIs are for n00bs. Real men just use the command prompt all the time.

cd \

dir /s /w

edit autoexec.bat

Clicking, double clicking. Man, what a waste of time.

shutdown -f -s -t 1

That's what I love about the Xbox 360. It's all the fun of the command prompt.

Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Plagueless

[QUOTE="Plagueless"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

NoodleFighter

The difference seemed even bigger in Shogun 2 Total War I hope results like that happen when Rome 2 comes

Exactly. It's definitely nothing to brag about, but it is something to take into consideration. With computers getting faster, and the new OS being leaner, you'll likely see even bigger differences as time wears on.
SerenityBeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SerenityBeee
Member since 2010 • 103 Posts

I'm quite satisfated with my Windows 7 laptop. I don't feel the need to upgrade yet.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

windows 8 has an ass backwards way to get to safe mode now, my only real complaint with this new version.

You basically have to boot into windows, which is virtually impossible if you have anything that prevents you from accesing your PC. It makes fixing problems and **** and troubleshooting a nightmare.

Shift+f8 doesn't work unless your computer is slow as F*CK.

/end rant.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Zophar87

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

lostrib

I can't prove it, I simply know better performance when I see it. My games run so much better on Windows 8. I can't exactly revert back to Windows 7 and do a frame-by-frame analysts like I would like to. Granted, not all games will run as smooth on Windows 8 as they do on Windows 7 and they may even be close to or the same as far as performance goes. This is nothing new though as it happens with the release of every new OS.

pcmark-100006884-orig.png

3dmark1-100006876-orig.png

shogun-100006885-orig.png

metro203-100006883-orig.png

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 V3rciS

I'm moving from XP to Linux.Zeviander

This... it's just that I'll be moving from Win 7 to Linux.

Casual user? Hardly. Clearly, you're still mad that I completely debunked the Vita last night. Windows 8 runs my modded Skyrim game about 10% than it ever did on Windows 7. Windows 8 doesn't use as many resources as Windows 7.

Zophar87

DO I KNOW YOU HUMAN?

seriously now, I'm not mad... you just missing this awesome device. I feel bad.
PS: it's still a tablet OS on PCs

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="V3rciS"]

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

Zophar87

A lot of games run worse on it though.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zophar87

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

[QUOTE="V3rciS"]

topgunmv

That's typical for a new operating system. Fact is, most games run better on Windows 8 from what I can tell.

Here's an example of a game running better on Windows 7;

crysis-100006879-orig.png

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

i was fine with windows 7 but was able to get the upgrade for $15 because i recently bought a new pc. i wanted to secure the low upgrade price so i went ahead and bought it. since the lost features were of no concern to me, i went ahead and installed it just to test things out with the idea of reverting back to windows 7 if i didn't like it. with only a few extra downloads, everything i had was found to be compatible so i see no reason to go back to windows 7. the metro screen doesn't bother me and i actually kind of like it. the faster boot time is nice as is the app store.

Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Plagueless

windows 8 has an ass backwards way to get to safe mode now, my only real complaint with this new version.

You basically have to boot into windows, which is virtually impossible if you have anything that prevents you from accesing your PC. It makes fixing problems and **** and troubleshooting a nightmare.

/end rant.

ReadingRainbow4
Agreed. When I built my PC I did have this problem. I had some drivers that were conflicting and since I couldn't boot into safe mode I had to completely wipe my HDD and start a fresh install.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I only use Windows for gaming. XP works best for ~2005 and before and 7 works best for anything more recent. Whenever I'm doing something else I prefer to use a good operating system, such as Linux Mint or Fedora or Xubuntu.
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"]

/end rant.

Plagueless

Agreed. When I built my PC I did have this problem. I had some drivers that were conflicting and since I couldn't boot into safe mode I had to completely wipe my HDD and start a fresh install.

You can actually hold SHIFT down and click reboot in the windows menu to get to the startup options faster, I learned this from a Microsoft rep. Unfortunately it seems he had a bit of trouble reading when I mentioned multiple times I couldn't access the OS, lol.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

Zophar87

That's typical for a new operating system. Fact is, most games run better on Windows 8 from what I can tell.

One example would be that Fallout 3 isn't optimized for Windows 7

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zophar87

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

NoodleFighter

One example would be that Fallout 3 isn't optimized for Windows 7

Exactly.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
I can't prove it [...]Zophar87
So you are talking out of your ass? Good to know.
hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hexashadow13
[QUOTE="Zophar87"]I can't prove it [...]Zeviander

Are you blind? He posted benchmarks. -_-
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
And thankfully too. Expect Windows 7 support to continue for many years still.
Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Zophar87
[QUOTE="Zophar87"]I can't prove it [...]Zeviander

I posted benchmarks. Don't be so fast to be an ass.
trent44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 trent44
Member since 2008 • 255 Posts

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]It does absolutely nothing for me to need the upgrade. Plagueless
Fair enough, I can see that. However what I don't understand is people building new PC's with Windows 7.

Well, I bought a nice netbook back in August, it just came with Windows 7 pre installed. It works fantastic. :D

I have seen one computer with windows 8 on it. It does boot quicker, but Window 8's fully integrated metro UI + desktop UI is less useful than Windows 7's full desktop UI for non-touch devices.

I really don't see why they made Windows RT a legitimate Tablet OS, but Windows 8 is a half tablet, half desktop OS.

Microsoft did well for what it could with Windows RT, but a Tablet OS on a Desktop makes me think of a few acronyms (YAGNI, KISS Method, etc.)

...and no I don't need apps on a refrigerator either. :?

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
[QUOTE="tagyhag"]It does absolutely nothing for me to need the upgrade. Plagueless

That's like people getting a tablet with Windows 7 on it. It just isn't designed for tablets or touch screens in general, why would anyone want to use a touch screen orientated UI on a desktop? It's not good no matter what MS does it won't make it any better. I honestly am having trouble understanding why MS can't simply support two UIs and give us a choice of which one we want to use, they already have both UIs created, both are well integrated, both are technically already installed in Windows 8 so what is stopping MS from doing what companies are now charging for and enaing the start button. It's not difficult.
Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Plagueless

[QUOTE="Plagueless"][QUOTE="tagyhag"]It does absolutely nothing for me to need the upgrade. trent44

Well, I bought a nice netbook back in August, it just came with Windows 7 pre installed. It works fantastic. :D

I have seen one computer with windows 8 on it. It does boot quicker, but Window 8's fully integrated metro UI + desktop UI is less useful than Windows 7's full desktop UI for non-touch devices.

I really don't see why they made Windows RT a legitimate Tablet OS, but Windows 8 is a half tablet, half desktop OS.

Microsoft did well for what it could with Windows RT, but a Tablet OS on a Desktop makes me think of a few acronyms (YAGNI, KISS Method, etc.)

...and no I don't need apps on a refrigerator either. :?

Says he's seen one PC with Windows 8......Instatnly knows Windows 7 is more useful. :roll: This is what I'm getting at. The absolute ignorance of users who haven't fully experienced Windows 8. If you had any knowledge on this you would know that the full Windows 7 desktop UI is there, along with pretty much everything else. Had you read the thread you would see that.
Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Plagueless
[QUOTE="Plagueless"][QUOTE="tagyhag"]It does absolutely nothing for me to need the upgrade. JohnF111

That's like people getting a tablet with Windows 7 on it. It just isn't designed for tablets or touch screens in general, why would anyone want to use a touch screen orientated UI on a desktop? It's not good no matter what MS does it won't make it any better. I honestly am having trouble understanding why MS can't simply support two UIs and give us a choice of which one we want to use, they already have both UIs created, both are well integrated, both are technically already installed in Windows 8 so what is stopping MS from doing what companies are now charging for and enaing the start button. It's not difficult.

Because it's not a touch-screen oriented UI......*facepalm* It's a desktop UI that happens to have many features that came from touch interfaces, like big tiles and sliding menus. This doesn't make it bad to use on desktop. The world is changing and digging through drop-down file menus is a thing of the past.
Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#48 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

there is not a single benefit for me to switch compared to my curent win 7 64. Absolutely nothing. I'm not going to get it and then use 3rd party software to turn it back into win7 just so I can enjoy something I already had

wis3boi
This... and why is TC so hell bent on defending MS OS? You own stock tc? You work for MS?
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#49 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

Over the past few months I have seen quite a few posts here on system wars proclaiming that Windows 8 is garbage, removed many features, locked in Metro, etc. In reality this is not the case. Here I'm going to try to show you why Windows 8 is a great OS, and why upgrades and new builds should use it.

Let's think about this for a minute. What can you think of that you know was removed in Windows 8? Chances are, only one thing: The Start Menu.

Now, since I know many of you will never try Windows 8 because of this, I'd like to tell you something. There are multiple ways to get your precious Start Menu back in a matter of seconds. Either Start8 or the Pokki Start Menu can be used to get a full start menu identicalto Windows 7. Not only that, but these programs allow you to customize the Start menu FAR more than any true Windows ever has, leading to the shocking reality that.....The Start Menu can be BETTER in Windows 8? However, this is not the main point of this, as I'm sure that once you've used Windows 8 for long enough, you'll never see the need for that dumb menu again.

Now, onto the main point. Many people seem to think that Windows 8 is lacking in features that were present in Win 7. While there are a few things that are gone (I will list them below) they are not the sort of things that most people will care about or even notice that are gone.

1. No DVD playback through Windows Media Player. - Seriously, when was the last time you used your PC, to play a DVD, with MS's crappy software to boot? Win 8 still supports 3rd party players if you wish to watch DVD's on your PC.

Plagueless

okqubp.png

wish there was far more support

hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hexashadow13

[QUOTE="Plagueless"]

k2theswiss

wish there was far more support

Windows gadgets are pretty crappy. Go get rainmeter. Much better with lots of support, though not really any central database of gadgets.