Windows 8 - 26 Oct

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -
#2 Posted by sts106mat (19465 posts) -
windows 8 security update - 27 Oct
#3 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

windows 8 security update - 27 Octsts106mat

Hehehe, totally fresh is when the hackers would be smart to have a crack at it, that's a good prediction.

#4 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

I'm sticking with 7, I simply see no reason to switch to 8, it feels more like a sidegrade than an upgrade, and Metro has no appeal for me as a desktop user...

#5 Posted by Masenkoe (4888 posts) -

I'm sticking with 7, I simply see no reason to switch to 8, it feels more like a sidegrade than an upgrade, and Metro has no appeal for me as a desktop user...

Rocker6

Basically how I feel about it. 7 is also polished now, it's a great OS. 8 is gonna have some bugs just by being new and that's no bueno.

Also lol at the poll, anybody still using XP wat r u doin

#6 Posted by Masenkoe (4888 posts) -

Rocker6

Basically how I feel about it. 7 is also polished now, it's a great OS. 8 is gonna have some bugs just by being new and that's no bueno.

Also lol at the poll, anybody still using XP wat r u doin

#7 Posted by Sushiglutton (5261 posts) -
Stick with 7 until I get a new PC, like five years from now.
#8 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4231 posts) -

I'm hoping that the worth while changes are under the hood. Windows 7 is a bit out of date now, it still works in the same way as XP. Same filing system, requires work-arounds like built in programs that index and defragment as if it wasn't designed for high capacities of storage, and it doesn't multi task well.

OSX blows it away with multitasking. Windows still feels like it wants to do one job after the other, it doesn't seem to delegate. Sure applications that are programmed to use multiple cores work well. But i'd upgrade just for these changes personally.

#9 Posted by SolidTy (42825 posts) -

No reason for me to get 8 so soon, I dig 7 a lot (three of my PCs). I was even offered 8 Beta for free, and I didn't bother with it.

I don't get every form of Windows released anyways, skipped Vista for example. I also dislike getting it when it's brand new, full of problems, and less gaming support until patches come later. I'd rather wait a year if I am going to upgrade when most of that stuff is fixed.

#10 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

I props stick to w7, than downgrading to W8.

#11 Posted by funsohng (27660 posts) -
I still use XP.....
#12 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25169 posts) -

Who in their right mind would go after Windows 8?

Microsoft should have just stuck with 7 more instead of making 8.

#13 Posted by clyde46 (46027 posts) -
It doesn't run any better on a high end rig than 7 does. So no.
#14 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -
Probably move to 8 on my desktop, stay with 7 on my laptop and netbook.
#15 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
Well I won't have my PC build by then, so I may end up buying two copies of Windows 7 just to sit on until I get it build (then upgrade my current one for my girl) so I have it instead of only being able to find Windows 8 once i am finished.
#16 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
lol go out an spend $100 bucks for win8 when i already own the best OS to date win7 enough said.
#17 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23500 posts) -

already on it

upgrade install broke so many applciations

and reinstalling did not fix, mainly C++ redistributables

i had to reformat, all is working ok now...

#18 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -
LOL @ win 8, apps apps my *ss. Win 7 all the way.
#19 Posted by Eddie-Vedder (7790 posts) -

Windows 8 is the sucky windows, they always realease a terrible OS then a great OS. Windows 8 will be the Vista, the ME, heavy clunky, faulty. Stick with 7 wait for Windows 9.

#20 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27549 posts) -
Love 7, 8 looks like the wrong step in every direction for me.
#21 Posted by LP4EVA2005 (8585 posts) -
i'll stick to WIn 7 for now. i'll wait for it to be out for awhile and get user feedback on how well it is and what are its features. then i' will decide to make the switch from there.
#22 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8530 posts) -

Sticking with W7. I see absolutely no reason to upgrade, the UI is awful and game developers are saying bad things about it.

#23 Posted by Heil68 (43996 posts) -
3 reasons I'm sticking with W7, I upgraded my Vista to W7 and don't want to put another OS over that and I don't want to reformat. Finally, I'm very happy with Windows 7 and cant think of one thing that needs "fixed" to make my experience better.
#24 Posted by Pray_to_me (2837 posts) -

Thought I heard you could upgrade for free. Or was that just the beta?

#25 Posted by Wasdie (49753 posts) -

While Windows 8 won't be as bad as Vista, I'm sticking with Windows 7 until Windows 8 can prove its worthy of an upgrade. It has a lot of potential with some really good upgrades on the backend, but I'm not sold on the new frontend and graphical API that runs it.

Anybody comparing it to Vista needs to do some homework on why exactly Vista was terrible.

Unless you're buying one of those tablet PCs, I don't see any reason to upgrade a machine from 7 to 8. No reason at all.

#26 Posted by humpmasterflex (359 posts) -

ANyone who is going to purchase a Mobile OS for a desktop is a moron, at least windows 8 will weed out the idiots from the rest of us lol

#27 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25169 posts) -

While Windows 8 won't be as bad as Vista, I'm sticking with Windows 7 until Windows 8 can prove its worthy of an upgrade. It has a lot of potential with some really good upgrades on the backend, but I'm not sold on the new frontend and graphical API that runs it.

Anybody comparing it to Vista needs to do some homework on why exactly Vista was terrible.

Unless you're buying one of those tablet PCs, I don't see any reason to upgrade a machine from 7 to 8. No reason at all.

Wasdie

What I understand is Vista was terrible because it was a Memory and Resource Hog.

#28 Posted by Basinboy (11090 posts) -

W8 is a mobile OS; I'll at some point likely own a tablet with W8 but my desktop won't until there is sufficient reason to upgrade.

#29 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16463 posts) -

W7 4 life !

#30 Posted by Shadow4020 (1961 posts) -

I'm still on XP, but plan on upgrading to 7.

#31 Posted by Giancar (19054 posts) -
Meh, I am more than happy with Win7
#32 Posted by quebec946 (1335 posts) -

i hope it flop hard.

#33 Posted by XaosII (16575 posts) -

What I understand is Vista was terrible because it was a Memory and Resource Hog.

LegatoSkyheart

Windows 7 consumes far more memory.

Windows Vista was "bad" largely due to a completely new driver model that deviated from Windows XP. Most drivers for Vista will work on Windows 7 and Windows 8, since the driver base is the same.

This new change caused most third party hardware makers to create very unstable drivers. Vista suffered from very poorly optimized and crash prone drivers. By th etime Windows 7 came out, the drivers had matured with most product being stable.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 are about the same stability now. Vista is a perfectly fine OS that sank due to problems not with the OS.

#34 Posted by JohnF111 (14090 posts) -
Why lol next to Vista? The issues that were once present in Vista are now fixed and it's a stable OS.
#35 Posted by XaosII (16575 posts) -

I'm fairly certain not a single person here can mention a negative about Windows 8 that doesn't involve Metro.

And from everything i've seen and used, i've barely ever interacted with Metro. Its replaced the start menu. I cant remember the last time i've actually used the start menu instead of just using the search bar in the start menu (and that hasnt changed with Metro).

#36 Posted by biggest_loser (24047 posts) -

I haven't heard anything good about it so I have no intention of changing, especially since I already shifted from 32 bit to 64 for Windows 7, which i wasn't too happy about.

#37 Posted by ActionRemix (5707 posts) -

Just give it a try. The performance boost alone is worth the upgrade. My desktop boots in 1-2 seconds. I actually have faster startup times with Win8 on an HDD than Win7 on an SSD.

#38 Posted by olart4618 (407 posts) -

stick with 7, I`m very happy with that windows

#39 Posted by coasterguy65 (5927 posts) -

Nothing I seen of Windows 8 makes me want to switch to it. I'll just stick with 7 until the next OS is released in a couple of years.

#40 Posted by AdrianWerner (28016 posts) -

I will get W8 for my laptop, since I've been waiting 10 years for a Windows with excellent tablet interface.

Desktop though...not sure. For now I will propably stick to Windows 7 and will uprade to W8 if some games I want end up being W8-exclusive

#41 Posted by Heil68 (43996 posts) -

I will get W8 for my laptop, since I've been waiting 10 years for a Windows with excellent tablet interface.

Desktop though...not sure. For now I will propably stick to Windows 7 and will uprade to W8 if some games I want end up being W8-exclusive

AdrianWerner
There is talk about Pc exclusives being W8 exclusive? Damn, that sucks.
#42 Posted by charizard1605 (56966 posts) -
Sticking with the greatest OS ever (Windws 7)
#43 Posted by GarGx1 (2616 posts) -

Have yet to find a reason to change from Windows 7. If somthing compelling comes along, I'll consider it.

#44 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Well I can get it for free (MS Dreamspark), so if people say it's better I'll switch.

#45 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9215 posts) -
7 is a no brainer. Less clunky, crappy looking and is made for a desktop.
#46 Posted by heretrix (37349 posts) -

It's like 40 bucks to upgrade, why the f*ck not? I've been using it for months if it wasn't for all of the metro stuff I'd say it would be a must buy. I hear that Metro is pretty cool on dual monitor setups and tablets

#47 Posted by heretrix (37349 posts) -

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

Heil68

There is talk about Pc exclusives being W8 exclusive? Damn, that sucks.

Vista and Win 7 have "exclusive" games. Meaning they won't work on XP. I'm sure the same thing applies here.

#48 Posted by The_Game21x (26342 posts) -

I'm going to upgrade my laptop with Windows 8 for sure but I'm not so sure about my desktop.