Will you be buying the New Nintendo 3DS?

• 88 results
Posted by charizard1605 (59624 posts) 6 months, 21 hours ago

Poll: Will you be buying the New Nintendo 3DS? (120 votes)

Yes, I will be upgrading 23%
Yes, but not immediately 18%
Yes, I didn't care for the original 3DS, but this seems more of my type 7%
No 53%

The New Nintendo 3DS includes:

• better 3D
  • second stick
  • NFC built-in
  • coloured buttons
  • more buttons (specifically, ZL and ZR)
  • better battery
  • now compatible with microSDCard
  • you can back up data on your PC via wireless
  • browser improved, now works with HTML5
  • CPU improved, makes browsing Miiverse / eShop much faster
  • you can switch designs now (covers)
  • Improved gyro sensors which aim and enhance the 3D effect
  • A rumored double the RAM and VRAM
  • Improved ergonomics
  • Better screen technology, including automatic dimming
  • Full backwards compatibility with the Nintendo DS, the Nintendo DSi, and the Nintendo 3DS

I guess as upgrades go, it's a hell of one, really. It's also everything I ever wanted from the 3DS, though I'm still not quite sure why they didn't just make this a full fledged successor already.

My question to you is, will you be buying one of these, or not? And if you are, will you be getting the regular variant or the XL variant?

#1 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5808 posts) -

i have to buy xl, normal just doesnt fit

#2 Posted by lostrib (40000 posts) -

switching to wait and see mode

#3 Posted by PikminWorld (298 posts) -

I'll wait before making the decision. They need to change some policies which I feel the major reaction of hatred by the gaming community will bring about those changes.

#4 Edited by Locutus_Picard (3981 posts) -

When MH4 hits, yeah. Never owned a 3ds, I can only imagine it bing harsh coming from a Vita.

#5 Edited by Wanderer5 (25726 posts) -

Eh I just wait and see. Chances are I get one eventually depending on the exclusive games it will have, and course it would be XL.

#6 Posted by funsohng (28630 posts) -

C-stick interested me but I don't like what they are doing with it.

#7 Posted by PikachuDude860 (1157 posts) -

Yes...At some point. I'll wait until they have a limited edition I'm interested in. Like a Majora's Mask purple edition.

#8 Posted by charizard1605 (59624 posts) -

@pikachudude860 said:

Yes...At some point. I'll wait until they have a limited edition I'm interested in. Like a Majora's Mask purple edition.

They won't need special editions anymore, they can just sell the swappable faceplates.

#9 Posted by Blabadon (27668 posts) -

Yep, I buy every new line of Nintendo handhelds.

#10 Posted by Big_Pecks (5493 posts) -

When I have to.

AKA, when Pokemon Z comes out.

#11 Posted by tubbyc (3784 posts) -

No, because I'm not heavily into handheld gaming, and I can always find enough to play on my original 3DS and Vita when I want to make use of them.

#12 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3712 posts) -

I've yet to get a 3DS, so I'll definitely get this. Probably the regular.

#13 Edited by SakusEnvoy (4343 posts) -

Honestly, if I have to update my handheld every 2 years like I do my phone, I might just be done with handheld gaming altogether. There's just no point doing this anymore when smartphones and consoles have so many games already.

Maybe this is overreacting, but with 4ds on the way in 2016, and 4ds plus in 2018, I have no faith in handheld longevity anymore. I buy a PS4 and I'm probably good for 7 years minus a hard drive upgrade which is easy to do. That's supposed to be the console advantage. Handheld gaming is console gaming without the advantages, plus portability which we rarely ever use anymore because our phones are more convenient.

#14 Posted by commonfate (12600 posts) -

No. Handheld gaming hasn't really grabbed me this gen and the best games have been console ports (OoT, P4G, FFX, MGS 2/3 HD).

If anything I'll sell my 3DS before buying the new one (but I probably won't do either).

#15 Posted by charizard1605 (59624 posts) -

@SakusEnvoy: We don't know the 4DS is actually a 2016 device.

#16 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22508 posts) -

I'm gonna wait and see what these exclusive titles are. Xenoblade is good but I already have my original copy in my wii u right as we speak

#17 Posted by lawlessx (46951 posts) -

Did they give a price range?

#18 Posted by charizard1605 (59624 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

Did they give a price range?

Same price as the previous models, so the standard model will probably go for $170, and the XL for $200.

#19 Edited by soulitane (13664 posts) -

Probably, I was thinking of getting a 3DS at the end of the year so I might just get this when it drops. I don't see much point in buying the original when a better one is out.

#20 Posted by resevl4rlz (3280 posts) -

i need to upgrade my crap 3ds original, i just wish they had an account tied system when they release this

#21 Edited by SakusEnvoy (4343 posts) -

@charizard1605: not for sure, but it's either 2016 or 2017. I don't think Nintendo has gone over 3 years without a revision since the original Gameboy. The successor will probably be BC, so the logic in my head tells me to wait for that.

The frustrated side of me just wants to stop bothering. It's incredibly wasteful to repurchase the same basic product over and over when there's so many other gaming devices on the market that don't require regular replacement.

But then, I just got a 3ds xl 3 weeks ago because my hands felt way too cramped playing the original. Returning it is a non option since I'd lose my ambassador games (thanks for tying games to the console, Nintendo!), so I'm stuck with it now.

#22 Posted by HernandeZzzz (855 posts) -

If Bravely Second turns out to be an exclusive for this new 3DS, then yes, I'll be "forced" to upgrade. If not, I'll just keep my regular 3DS XL.

#23 Posted by trugs26 (5742 posts) -

Most likely no. Not unless they release killer apps "exclusively" for the New 3DS.

#24 Edited by charizard1605 (59624 posts) -

@SakusEnvoy: I say the earliest we can expect a 3DS successor at this point is 2017, but for all we know, another half step upgrade shows up in 2017 like this 'New 3DS' that essentially extends the life of the handheld by another 3 years.

And I hear you. I was going to buy an XL myself this Holiday season- at this point, I am glad I waited, I'll just end up picking one of these New ones now.

#25 Posted by MirkoS77 (7990 posts) -

Nope, never. I barely play my XL as is. If they bring out a new Metroid I'd be tempted, but still no. If anything I'd wait till I see it in a garage sale and get it then so Nintendo wouldn't get a dime of mine. I don't mind hardware revisions, but when you introduce new hardware and go and split the userbase with exclusive content (and your next handheld is only a few years away) you can go fuck yourself for all I care.

#26 Posted by santoron (7833 posts) -

I'm actually less inclined to buy now.

To this point I had procrastinated on a DS because I still enjoy and use my DS Lite (AKA da GOAT). The 3DS didn't really impress me, but Nintendo handhelds always build a good library over time, so it was always a "When", not "If" I'd grab one. Funny thing is, I figured I'd grab one when they put the second stick on we all knew would come (though that nub.... ugh).

But now after they've trashed the entire concept of a platform less than 4 years in? I'm very disappointed. If they're willing to do that now what's to stop them from putting out an actual new handheld in a year or two? Or even worse, another segmented 3DS? Nothing. In fact unless this reverses the 3DS sales declines (long term, not just a surge) I'd bet that's exactly what will happen.

So they've gone from a "definite buy in time" to a "let's see how ugly this gets and then decide" to me. Just one more sad development from Nintendo when I thought things couldn't get any worse.

#28 Posted by onesiphorus (513 posts) -

Not immediately, but after the Japanese release in October. I like to see how much improvement it has in its RAM and VRAM, as well how the second control stick works.

#29 Posted by wolverine4262 (19962 posts) -

Yeah, we needed another thread about this. Excellent work.

#30 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8807 posts) -

Nope, I'm too poor. :(

#31 Posted by StrifeDelivery (1725 posts) -
@wolverine4262 said:

Yeah, we needed another thread about this. Excellent work.

Exactly. Couldn't char just consolidate the multiple threads he made about the new 3DS, or does he have to try and make a new one every time some snippet of news pops up?

#32 Posted by AcidTango (668 posts) -

Still hate how Nintendo has to do this.

#33 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34205 posts) -

I'm going to wait and see what happens with this thing. I really don't know how to feel about this revision.

The only reason I would ever go for this new model is due to the exclusive games for it. Depending on what kind of new 3DS exclusives there are, and how many appealing titles there are, perhaps I'll be tempted. If it ends up being handled similarly to the DSi, which didn't really have any compelling software or features from what I recall that made me want it over a DS, than I really do not see myself buying this New 3DS.

One nice thing though is that it will be BC with all 3DS and DS games, so even if there isn't some kind of trade in deal (which I doubt there will be since Nintendo never does offer such a thing), I could still sell off my 3DS XL to cover up the cost for the new 3DS, that is assuming I ever wnat to get a New 3DS, and assuming it is possible to transfer data over from an old 3DS to a new 3DS

#34 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (5913 posts) -

Not immediately.

#35 Posted by lamprey263 (24673 posts) -

While I'm pissed at Nintendo about, I'd get it if I have the funds to do so, but not right way; I don't think it's coming anytime soon anyways, I think like in Japan next year.

I'd like to see where they can take Amiibo and if they can also bring features to 3DS then I'm all for that. However, I'm not going to stop venting my frustration of how they're screwing over gamers bringing in a new CPU that basically allows developers to make games not compatible on other 3DS hardware. Nintendo needs some kind of trade in program to supplement the transition for people who currently have 3DS systems.

Besides the crap value GameStop will give you for trading in you 3DS, you can't actually transfer all your content to the new device without having both devices, so even if you were to trade in your 3DS for a shitty trade in value you're not going to be able to keep your content. If you want to, you need to straight up buy it, in which case you'll have to trade it in later for shitty credit which means you'll have GameStop credit, and GameStop barely carries 3DS games. No, Nintendo needs a trade in program that allows gamers to mail in their 3DSs and in exchange for New 3DS and offer a subsidized price for upgrading.

#36 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11540 posts) -

Definitely I was already planning on getting the Smash XL if it launched in the states since my circle pad broke. I'll wait for this. I see this revision launching early next year alongside Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate to promote the use of two sticks and two extra shoulder buttons.

#37 Posted by Shadow4020 (1989 posts) -

My 3ds xl is less than a year old, so I'm not feeling inclined to upgrade.

#38 Edited by superbuuman (3060 posts) -

No, will wait for NEW 2DS or NEW 2DS XL :P

#39 Edited by SolidTy (45118 posts) -

It's not a priority for me as I already have 3DS.

Eventually I may grab one if there is a single game I find warrants a purchase...maybe down the road bundled and cheaper. I don't want or need a bunch of 3DS machines in the house. I'm not even a big handheld gamer anyways.

I think the news regarding the New 3DS games not working on current 3DS machines is disappointing to be honest.

#40 Posted by cainetao11 (18339 posts) -

Yeah I can see me owning this down the road. Not now though. Too many other things to get first.

#41 Posted by PapaTrop (1643 posts) -

Nope.

I've barely scratched the surface on 3DS games, or DS games, and I don't really care about Xenoblade Chronicles. I'm guessing a newer handheld will release in a few more years that'll either be Nintendo's new all-in-one platform, or coincide with the release of it (that Fusion project). I doubt that's what this thing is.

#42 Posted by finalstar2007 (25452 posts) -

After the 3DS XL i will not buy any other nintendo system again .. not until they make a better online network, better interface, a real actual responsive friends list, a quality messaging system not the kiddy styled drawing shit they have right now as a messaging app, two dual analogs and one single screen.

#43 Posted by charizard1605 (59624 posts) -

@finalstar2007 said:

After the 3DS XL i will not buy any other nintendo system again .. not until they make a better online network, better interface, a real actual responsive friends list, a quality messaging system not the kiddy styled drawing shit they have right now as a messaging app, two dual analogs and one single screen.

So this one fixes all of that.

Now what?

Well, I guess it still has two screens, so you can use that as an excuse!

#44 Posted by kingjazziephiz (2444 posts) -

Probably

#45 Posted by Bardock47 (5341 posts) -

Wait and see, if it gets some cool exclusives then sure. Other wise no.

#46 Edited by Jynxzor (9312 posts) -

Nope, don't pick my 3DS XL up enough now to justify another purchase.

I'll hold strong until the next generation of handhelds come out, my Vita does me just fine for handhelds games that need horsepower.

#47 Posted by coasterguy65 (6121 posts) -

Probably not. I hardly use the one we have now. Maybe if some games come out that interest me that only play on the new version..then maybe..otherwise probably not.

#48 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (1617 posts) -

So thats why Nintendo can "do DLC right"....they screw you in the handheld department.

Ok...I get it now.

#49 Posted by lordlors (5612 posts) -

@commonfate said:

No. Handheld gaming hasn't really grabbed me this gen and the best games have been console ports (OoT, P4G, FFX, MGS 2/3 HD).

If anything I'll sell my 3DS before buying the new one (but I probably won't do either).

Same here. After the phenomenal DS, 3DS was a big disappointment. Inferior quantity and quality of games.

#50 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22508 posts) -

@lordlors: quantity yes.

Quality hell no. Atleast as far as nintendo's first party titles are concerned