Will Uplay continue to damage Ubisoft pc fanbase

#1 Edited by TheFadeForever (2221 posts) -

Game after game Uplay continues to be a issue for people who bought Ubisoft games and try to play it on the DRM service. Apparently Ubisoft thinks its a good idea to have another layer of DRM added to steam. Not sure about you guys but I keep getting a message that I have to install a certain portion of AC4 files when I tried to play it. Sign of improvements in the coming months or it will end up like Windows live.

#2 Posted by lostrib (42737 posts) -

It seems pretty dumb at least to have uplay required for games you buy on Steam

#3 Edited by BloodyTides (189 posts) -

Honestly has there really been any improvements in Uplay I remember it took me weeks to figure out how to get blacklist to work. And having another DRM seem pointless is Ubisoft trying to build up a userbase for it because it looks like there failing I would not buy a game from there unless it was super cheap.

#4 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (5022 posts) -

The insane part is that South Park the Stick of Truth sold 25% digital and has no Uplay requirement, if i remember correctly. And it sold 25& digital

So 25% PC sales for SP (give or take physical PC/ digital consoles) and 14% of sales on PC for Watch Dogs. Piracy really is a problem.

#5 Posted by BldgIrsh (3000 posts) -

Bought Watch Dogs to family share thinking this would be a great game to share. But, uPlay had to butt in and enforce a DRM on the game... It also only had one save file... But easy to get past by just having cloud turned off...

Anyways, I prefer Origin over uplay... That's saying a lot for a company such as EA.

#6 Posted by gameofthering (10467 posts) -

I avoid Ubisoft games that require Uplay.

I'd like it if you bought the Steam version it would just use Steam and not require them both.

#8 Posted by melonfarmerz (1283 posts) -

We'll see. We all hated Origin when it started but honestly, it's a decent service now. Sales are alright (25 dollar Titanfall), it works well, and for some reason, whenever I download something off Origin, my download speed doubles.

I'm hoping uplay works out in the long run but honestly, right now, the service is utter shit and I often avoid Ubi games just because of the service.

#9 Posted by aroxx_ab (10777 posts) -

The beuaty with consoles you dont have to bother with these online services to play your games :D

#10 Posted by mems_1224 (48572 posts) -

Uplay is completely and utterly useless and a pain in the ass. With Origin and Steam and GOG's new service thats coming out soon it just seems like a waste of time for everyone.

#11 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (5022 posts) -

@aroxx_ab said:

The beuaty with consoles you dont have to bother with these online services to play your games :D

Genius. Because to play all games on PC, one needs Uplay. Absolute genius.

Oh, and torrents get you Uplay free versions. And yes, it's ok to get them if you buy the game anyway. Genius.

#12 Edited by BloodyTides (189 posts) -

@deadline-zero0 said:

The insane part is that South Park the Stick of Truth sold 25% digital and has no Uplay requirement, if i remember correctly. And it sold 25& digital

So 25% PC sales for SP (give or take physical PC/ digital consoles) and 14% of sales on PC for Watch Dogs. Piracy really is a problem.

Are you getting that number from that one thread because that's overall sales for the first quarter not for one single game

#13 Posted by wis3boi (32003 posts) -

I put uplay in offline mode, havent seen it for more than 2sec each day when launching games

#14 Posted by with_teeth26 (6286 posts) -

I'm pretty amazed Ubisoft haven't stopped using it, its just a really unecessary piece of software that encourages people to pirate their games.

#15 Edited by R4gn4r0k (17513 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

Bought Watch Dogs to family share thinking this would be a great game to share. But, uPlay had to butt in and enforce a DRM on the game... It also only had one save file... But easy to get past by just having cloud turned off...

Anyways, I prefer Origin over uplay... That's saying a lot for a company such as EA.

I love how Ubisoft and EA think they can compete with steam by offering less than half the features that Steam offers.

Steam is constantly improving, constantly adding new stuff and making it easier for gamers (I'll never stop praising the inclusion of workshop). But what do Uplay and Origin improve ?

"Sorry, our service went down, you couldn't play your games. We'll fix that for you"

#16 Edited by R4gn4r0k (17513 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

I put uplay in offline mode, havent seen it for more than 2sec each day when launching games

+1 for offline mode.

The best feature of the service is... barely using the service at all.

#17 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (5022 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@bldgirsh said:

I love how Ubisoft and EA think they can compete with steam by offering less than half the features that Steam offers.

Steam is constantly improving, constantly adding new stuff and making it easier for gamers (I'll never stop praising the inclusion of workshop). But what do Uplay and Origin improve ?

"Sorry, our service went down, you couldn't play your games. We'll fix that for you"

To fair, i don't think that's completly the reason why they want the platform, atleast EA.

Most new EA games take a while to get to steam and other platforms. By selling the games on their stores, they get full profit returns.

Digital distribution cuts away physical retailers, and Origin (atleast) cuts off Steam. I know Ubisoft also puts their games Steam, but i'm simply pointing out EA mostly.

Atleast that is what i imagine, if i'm not mistaken on the dynamics of profit splits for sales.

#18 Edited by R4gn4r0k (17513 posts) -

@deadline-zero0 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@bldgirsh said:

To fair, i don't think that's completly the reason why they want the platform, atleast EA.

Most new EA games take a while to get to steam and other platforms. By selling the games on their stores, they get full profit returns.

Digital distribution cuts away physical retailers, and Origin (atleast) cuts off Steam. I know Ubisoft also puts their games Steam, but i'm simply pointing out EA mostly.

Atleast that is what i imagine, if i'm not mistaken on the dynamics of profit splits for sales.

Of course that's part of the reason. Another reason is because they see the massive profits Valve is making from steam and they want a piece of that, hence the third party games being sold on Uplay and Origin.

The thing is, they have to do more than be a storefront or DRM if they ever want to be as popular as steam. And by the looks of it, they never will.

Only popular things are: Steam and websites or stores that sell games cheaper than steam/origin/uplay/other stores. Or stores like GOG that sell something pretty unique: old games that can't be found anywhere else. Or rather: old games in a working state (again, can't be found anywhere else)

Only reason people use Origin or Uplay are because they have to, not because they want to.

And that is where the difference shows itself the most. Valve constantly improves steam because they want to make a better place for gamers and make gamers happy (i.e. keep them on steam). EA and Ubisoft barely improve their service because they have got gamers trapped there anyway. You want to play Battlefield 4 on steam ? Lol, fat chance.

#19 Posted by JangoWuzHere (17444 posts) -

I don't mind it, it's like Origin, I barely notice its there.

#20 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17537 posts) -

I have two games on Uplay: Far Cry 3 and Watch Dogs. They both work fine and doesn't go through Steam.

#21 Posted by BloodyTides (189 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I have two games on Uplay: Far Cry 3 and Watch Dogs. They both work fine and doesn't go through Steam.

Didn't WD have issue on the pc at launch on Uplay

#22 Posted by HighPitcairn (19 posts) -

Uplay is the husband of Origin and has a son name Games for windows live.

#23 Posted by EducatingU_PCMR (1119 posts) -

@jeager_titan said:

Yes.

#24 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (18476 posts) -

Games for Windows Live will be back, that I promise you, and its going to be even worse than Uplay.

Heres what I don't get though, why do people keep using it ?

#25 Edited by Gaming-Planet (14424 posts) -

It's redundant to have Uplay attached to Steam. It makes sharing games even more annoying with the Steam Family Sharing feature. All it does is annoy and hurt the consumers.

#26 Edited by jake44 (2056 posts) -

@lostrib said:

It seems pretty dumb at least to have uplay required for games you buy on Steam

why I don't buy Ubisoft games for pc.

#27 Posted by silversix_ (16151 posts) -

Your usual Ubi fan is too dumb to notice. Dunno how could anyone be a fun of this company

#28 Posted by wis3boi (32003 posts) -

@bloodytides said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

the servers died. Nothing offline mode couldnt fix

#29 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (17537 posts) -

@bloodytides said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Beats me. While everyone was supposed to be having problems, I was still waiting for my free copy of Watch Dogs that was part of my video card purchase. By the time I started playing the game (a few days later), everything was fine, for me anyway.

#30 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17537 posts) -

What exactly is wrong with Uplay aside from having to run with Steam? It's a non-issue for me since I only have two Uplay games and none of them have Steam involved.

#31 Edited by GodspellWH (750 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

What exactly is wrong with Uplay aside from having to run with Steam? It's a non-issue for me since I only have two Uplay games and none of them have Steam involved.

Well in my experience of Uplay I did run into problem trying to get SC Blacklist to launch because apparently some of the files were corrupted after installing them and after doing it again I still had the same issue.

Not to mention some online issue with AC4.

A friend of mine couldn't even play Might and Magic

#32 Posted by Roler42 (859 posts) -

The only Ubisoft game I've ever purchased on PC was assasins creed 2, needles to say, the experience was so horrible, i refuse to buy anything from ubisoft as long as it's infected with Uplay

EA at least has the decency to not force you to use Origin for their steam games, and Origin actually improved into a proper client without shoving useless garbage down my throat like Uplay does

Not to mention Uplay's little backdoor that let's all sorts of dangers infect your PC :)

Uplay is by far worse than GFWL right now

#33 Posted by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -

@TheFadeForever said:

Game after game Uplay continues to be a issue for people who bought Ubisoft games and try to play it on the DRM service. Apparently Ubisoft thinks its a good idea to have another layer of DRM added to steam. Not sure about you guys but I keep getting a message that I have to install a certain portion of AC4 files when I tried to play it. Sign of improvements in the coming months or it will end up like Windows live.

What Ubisoft PC fanbase?

Ubisoft knows the real money in AAA is with consoles that's why they saddle you with crappy DRM and make gaming on PC as difficult as possible.

It's also why Rockstar puts GTA games on PC last and never even bothered to put Red Dead on PC at all. Deal with it.

#34 Posted by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -
@aroxx_ab said:

Shhhhhhhh. Hermits don't like hearing that!.

@deadline-zero0 said:

@aroxx_ab said:

Genius. Because to play all games on PC, one needs Uplay. Absolute genius.

Oh, and torrents get you Uplay free versions. And yes, it's ok to get them if you buy the game anyway. Genius.

Uplay, Origin etc And no it's not ok the law says it's not.

#35 Edited by GodspellWH (750 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@TheFadeForever said:

What Ubisoft PC fanbase?

Ubisoft knows the real money in AAA is with consoles that's why they saddle you with crappy DRM and make gaming on PC as difficult as possible.

It's also why Rockstar puts GTA games on PC last and never even bothered to put Red Dead on PC at all. Deal with it.

Uplay is on console so what's your point and lol real money if anything Ubisoft wants that steam money. EA is already enjoying there sales on Origin.

Yet they GTA V is coming to pc so obviously there going to make money

#36 Posted by Basinboy (11407 posts) -

Dunno, but for the love of all that is holy please die Uplay.

Hoping that down the line that Steam and SteamOS will drive Ubi and EA to just give up on their own clients.

#37 Posted by soulitane (13954 posts) -

@aroxx_ab said:

I'm pretty certain EA makes you sign up for their games on consoles in order to play online.

#38 Posted by AdrianWerner (28226 posts) -

I don't mind uPlay much. It's just another client. Clients as a whole are pretty annoying (Steam included), but this annoyance lasts the five seconds it takes me to launch the game and I doubt it's anything more for other people.

Ubisoft being as big publisher as they are kind of need their own service of this kind. Especially since most of the PC games they sell are retail copies, so turning thieir whole retail business into essentially selling cdkeys for 3rd party service would be kind of dumb.

Anyway, I haven't bought anything Ubi from Steam, so I can't be sure, but can't you launch those games without Steam? Just make a shortcut to a exe in Steam's folder and you should be able to launch those games solely though uPlay, bypassing Steam completely and with it the need to have two clients running.

#39 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (17537 posts) -

@roler42 said:
Not to mention Uplay's little backdoor that let's all sorts of dangers infect your PC :)

Uplay is by far worse than GFWL right now

That backdoor came prior to and was fixed by the time Far Cry 3 came out. That game was the first reason I needed to have Uplay installed. I guess I missed all the fun.

There's nothing worse than GFWL. I have one measly game (Bulletstorm) for it. After finishing the game, I uninstalled it once and then reinstalled it. But, it wouldn't play at all because it's stuck at the account authentication part. Never had that problem with the other clients.

#40 Posted by ShepardCommandr (3262 posts) -

another reason i don't buy ubisoft games