Will there be a good Pokemon game for the Wii-U?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by BadNewsBen (1493 posts) -

We have all wondered when it would happen, or maybe more importantly, if it would ever happen. But with a new console coming out, one that could seemingly handle a full fledged Pokemon RPG, you have to wonder if its on Nintendo's mind. Before we go any further, lets talk about why it could happen, and why it might not happen:

Why Not?

• More than anything, Pokemon tends to rely on its nostalgic aspects. The gameplay, the music, and the concept has remained fairly similar through time. Nintendo has never given the idea that it wanted to change any of that.
  • Would Nintendo really want to "jeopardize" the sales numbers they get with each release of a new Pokemon game on gameboy?
  • It would probably be a huge project, and I'm not entirely sure the series could be done justice. I hate seeing spin-offs like Battle Revolution.
  • Nintendo hasn't shown any kind of intention in creating a full fledged Pokemon RPG, so as of right now, I'm not sure how much hope there can possible be for it.

Why It Will Happen:

• Pokemon has generated tremendous sales for Nintendo, so it remains a little baffling that they wouldn't want to carry it over to consoles.
  • Fans have asked for it. The idea is there, its just up to Nintendo to act on it at this point.
  • The world of Pokemon would set up tremendously on a console if done correctly.
  • It is one of the few series that has the potential to not only be a huge seller in terms of copies, but would be sure to help sell a fair amount of consoles.

Now, like I said, the idea is pretty much already there. Here are a few of those ideas that would probably work within a Pokemon game on the Wii-U:

• A companion system. The portable versions of Pokemon have used the double battles for a while now, there is no reason that shouldn't work on a console version in which you can pick up companions as you can go. Not only could you fight with them, but there could be an advantage that comes with each companion (healer, informer, etc.)
  • A turn based battle system, similar to what Pokemon has now.
  • Loot. Just as with the portable versions of the game, the console version could offer tons of loot that would help you along your way.
  • Of course, there would be tons of area to explore. With the personality Pokemon games already carry, I can only imagine how great it would be on the big screen.
  • Different ways to play the game. Just like with any Pokemon game, you can focus on where you spend your time. Whether that be exploring, training, battling, or even catching every Pokemon in the game.

So obviously, the idea has been floated around by fans for a while. Does anyone see it happening? If not, why?

#2 Posted by Yangire (8787 posts) -

Reason why it won't happen:

Pokemon (POCKET Monsters) has only had mainline releases on handhelds for its entire lifespan and it keeps on selling.

#3 Posted by Cheleman (7616 posts) -

Nintendo.

nuff said.

#4 Posted by BadNewsBen (1493 posts) -

Pokemon (POCKET Monsters) has only had mainline releases on handhelds for its entire lifespan and it keeps on selling.

Yangire
Which would make you wonder why anyone would think it wouldn't keep on selling if it went over to consoles, no?
#5 Posted by Meeeper282 (1602 posts) -

PokePark 2 is easily the game of the generation

#6 Posted by NoirLamia777 (2126 posts) -

Pokemon Stadium 3

#7 Posted by Yangire (8787 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

BadNewsBen

Which would make you wonder why anyone would think it wouldn't keep on selling if it went over to consoles, no?

The N64/Wii games sell, Nintendo sees Pokemon as a good way to sell their handhelds and putting a 'better' version on consoles wouldn't help handheld sales.

#8 Posted by mems_1224 (46262 posts) -
unless its pokemon snap nintendo can go f*** themselves
#9 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
i would love for it to happen.
#10 Posted by IAmNot_fun (3336 posts) -
Pokemon is mostly based on nostalgia? The biggest audience for Pokemon are kids who have no nostalgia to speak of. Do you even know what the f*ck you are blabbering about? Besides, Pokemon is structured around being a portable game. Pokemon Snap would work, but even that I think would be much better with 3ds with its features.
#11 Posted by BadNewsBen (1493 posts) -

Pokemon is mostly based on nostalgia? The biggest audience for Pokemon are kids who have no nostalgia to speak of. Do you even know what the f*ck you are blabbering about? Besides, Pokemon is structured around being a portable game. Pokemon Snap would work, but even that I think would be much better with 3ds with its features.IAmNot_fun

Woah, I didn't mean anything by it. I'm an avid Pokemon fan, so this wasn't a shot at the game at all. The fact is, Pokemon has relied on its core values more than just about any video game series to date (maybe aside from a Zelda or Mario). Sorry that I've made you so upset, but it was not my intention to get anyone riled up here.

A better way to phrase it would have been that nostalgia plays an active role in newer Pokemon games. Because it does for many, including myself.

#12 Posted by DealRogers (4567 posts) -

We just need another Stadium type of game.

#13 Posted by BadNewsBen (1493 posts) -

We just need another Stadium type of game.

DealRogers
Wouldn't mind that either!
#14 Posted by TwistedShade (3139 posts) -

Considering how terrible the Gamecube era pokemon was i won't get my hopes up.

#15 Posted by CleanPlayer (9779 posts) -
They should remake Pokemon Snap and use the table device as a camera....or remake Pokemon Red/Blue and bring back the Pokemon theme song
#16 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6523 posts) -

TwistedShade
I liked pokemon colloseum
#17 Posted by darkspineslayer (19485 posts) -
Best we could hope for would be another game structured like Colleseum, or XD.
#18 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

I think it's strange Nintendo haven't made a Stadium-type game on the Wii yet.

The Pokemon games is what has saved the N64 from dieing in it's last years after all (besides some other big Nintendo and Rare games).

On the Wii U, it could be really big with it's increased capabilities, gamepad screen and online connectivity.

#19 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25150 posts) -
I don't think it will happen because Gamefreak don't want it.
#20 Posted by HarlockJC (25546 posts) -
With the touchscreen controller, I can see where the 3DS would work with the console as well. So another Pokemon Stadium seems almost a given.
#21 Posted by moistsandwich (0 posts) -

Will there ever be a good Pokemon is the real question.

#22 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

I don't think it will happen because Gamefreak don't want it.SaltyMeatballs

The N64 games were done by HAL and Nintendo, not Game Freak.

The GC games were done by a different (inexperienced) dev, hence the fall in quality.

#23 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17572 posts) -
you're forgetting one crucial point there are assloads of people who DO NOT want it on the Wii U. who want it to stay on consoles.
#24 Posted by IAmNot_fun (3336 posts) -

[QUOTE="IAmNot_fun"]Pokemon is mostly based on nostalgia? The biggest audience for Pokemon are kids who have no nostalgia to speak of. Do you even know what the f*ck you are blabbering about? Besides, Pokemon is structured around being a portable game. Pokemon Snap would work, but even that I think would be much better with 3ds with its features.BadNewsBen

Woah, I didn't mean anything by it. I'm an avid Pokemon fan, so this wasn't a shot at the game at all. The fact is, Pokemon has relied on its core values more than just about any video game series to date (maybe aside from a Zelda or Mario). Sorry that I've made you so upset, but it was not my intention to get anyone riled up here.

A better way to phrase it would have been that nostalgia plays an active role in newer Pokemon games. Because it does for many, including myself.

Sry if I was a bit too aggressive. I tend to get very aggressive whenever someone talks about Pokemon on these forums.
#25 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

Nintendo.

nuff said.

Cheleman

Actually it is Game Freaks decision; Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Game Freak all own 1/3 of the Pokémon IP.

Game Freak develops the main series and they are independent; Game Freak said they don't want the main series leaving handhelds.

Also Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures Inc. all own 1/3 of The Pokémon Company.

#26 Posted by BadNewsBen (1493 posts) -
[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"]you're forgetting one crucial point there are assloads of people who DO NOT want it on the Wii U. who want it to stay on consoles.

Yeah. I've just always wondered why. I think a good Pokemon RPG would work extremely well on a console.
#27 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Game Freak has said they are not interested in putting the IP on consoles. The best we well ever see is another "Stadium" tie-in.
#28 Posted by Puckhog04 (22604 posts) -

Would love a new Pokemon Stadium game. I'm not even a fan of Pokemon and the 2 stadium games on the N64 had me playing for hours on end.

#29 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

Will there ever be a good Pokemon is the real question.

moistsandwich
Pikachu is a good pokemon.
#30 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

Sadly pokemon console games usauly stripped down versions of the handheld versions. Why cant nintnedo make a full proper Pokemon rpg for consoles?

#31 Posted by Yangire (8787 posts) -

Sadly pokemon console games usauly stripped down versions of the handheld versions. Why cant nintnedo make a full proper Pokemon rpg for consoles?

ultimate-k

Because Nintendo doesn't make Pokemon games.

#32 Posted by Blabadon (25689 posts) -
I can't wait for someone to bring up the terrible "all regions, all Pokemons" idea again.
#33 Posted by themajormayor (25677 posts) -
Will there be a good game whatsoever for the Wii-U?
#34 Posted by Yangire (8787 posts) -

I can't wait for someone to bring up the terrible "all regions, all Pokemons" idea again.Blabadon

All regions, all pokemon, fully 3D, next gen graphics, open world, complete freedom, day and night changes, multiplayer/co-op, revamped action battle system, Pokemon are visible on the map/no random encounters, deep and complex story, first and third-person camera options, choice to join team rocket, choice to become a gym leader/apart of the elite 4, and voice acting.

Too bad Nintendo is too lazy to do these things :roll:, not going to buy anymore LAMEMON games until they do.

#35 Posted by DarthClark (460 posts) -
Id prefer a full fledged RPG for the Wii U, would actually force me to but a Wii U. I would still be happy with a Stadium style game too where one could transfer their raised pocket monsters from the hand held games. The game on a console could be even better with a consoles online capabilities. Pokemon is perfect for multiplayer
#36 Posted by Blabadon (25689 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]I can't wait for someone to bring up the terrible "all regions, all Pokemons" idea again.Yangire

All regions, all pokemon, fully 3D, next gen graphics, open world, complete freedom, day and night changes, multiplayer/co-op, revamped action battle system, Pokemon are visible on the map/no random encounters, deep and complex story, first and third-person camera options, choice to join team rocket, choice to become a gym leader/apart of the elite 4, and voice acting.

Too bad Nintendo is too lazy to do these things :roll:, not going to buy anymore LAMEMON games until they do.

Some things there I actually would enjoy.

#37 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

I can't wait for someone to bring up the terrible "all regions, all Pokemons" idea again.Blabadon
I'm usually the one that brings it up because when Gold and Silver were released I figured since it had Johto and Kanto I thought that every game after would include those regions and add a new region.

I do think it would be cool to have all the regions.

#38 Posted by 1_Der (4 posts) -

"PocketMonsters" It's no longer called pocketmonsters &Wii-U's Video Chat, Voice
Chat & Internet Capabilites providefar better methods for interaction with ppl than
the ds/3ds/ps3/360.The Wii U is the way to go.

"They continue to sell" So do the mario handhelds. TheZelda handhelds, Metroid
handhelds,all whichhave consolecounterpats. The sales do not detract form 1 another...

"PokePark 2" Haha

"Pokemon Stadium 3" I imagine the gameplay would be similar to this,accept you'd have
every region-gym-pokemon, online gameplay, etc.

"Pokemon Snap" A camera could be added-in to a mainconsole rpg. Quite easily I'd
imagine. But they've already expressed disinterest in making a sequel to snap... so a
sanpe sequel isnot happening.

"Structured Around Being a Portable Game" Well what we're asking
for here is some innovation... & it would not be hard to re-structure
pokemon to work on the consoles is what we're saying. We not longer
want an on-the-go experience, because we've acknowledged that pokemon
has what it takes to be an immersive experience. It deserves a shot on the
console, heck it has the potential to be one of the best games ever. Especially
with the online capabilities of the wii-u.

"We just need another stadium type game" What we need is a main-console
rpg that has every region-gym-league. Every Pokemon. Night/Day settings.
Online Battling, Trading, Tournaments,etc... & the wii u is capable of this.

"Terrible Gamecube Era Pokemon Games" They were the best step-forward...
but the obvious limitations given to the titles did make their experiences
bitter-sweet.

"Remake Pokemon Red/Blue" On the wii-u huh... hmm. I'd rather the full
world pokemon experience but I wouldn't object to this.

"PPL who DO NOT want it on the Wii U" The majority of people areunder the
impression a "console pokemon game" means another Battle Revolution.
That's not what we're talking about here...

Lastly.... GameFreak has never said they wouldn't bring the main series to the
consoles. Never. That cannot be quoted... what they said was the handhelds
at the time were the best way for people to connect to play pokemon. And that
was in the 90's. Before consoles could connect to the internet.

In a recent interview, gamefreaks pokemon director express interest in pokemon
on the Wii U.

#39 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7342 posts) -

I think so, yes.

To take advantage of the NFC functionality.

I.e. real life figurines that interact with the gamepad, which you can collect. It's gonna become a phenomenon.

#40 Posted by BigBoss255 (3538 posts) -
Maybe Nintendo of old would have done it but all they're about now is selling out to the latest gimmick. They have no respect for their fans as seen with the Wii. Why should they spend money creating a cutting edge Polemon game when they can just release rehashes and junk like Wii Music that will sell just as much.
#41 Posted by King_Dodongo (3247 posts) -
Colloseum 3 WII U would be great.
#42 Posted by Yangire (8787 posts) -

"PocketMonsters" It's no longer called pocketmonsters

1_Der

61iDOuBS6eL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Uh yeah it is.

#43 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26142 posts) -
[QUOTE="TwistedShade"]

Capitan_Kid
I liked pokemon colloseum

Same here.
#44 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22110 posts) -

i would love to see that. with everything yangire says and maybe a new battle system. tough they most likely wont

#45 Posted by Yangire (8787 posts) -

i would love to see that. with everything yangire says and maybe a new battle system. tough they most likely wont

TheShadowLord07
I was joking around, but yeah most of those will probably never happen.
#46 Posted by NiKva (8768 posts) -
Seeing how the Wii totally ditched the Colosseum and XD spin-offs, I'm expecting a no.
#47 Posted by 1_Der (4 posts) -

[QUOTE="1_Der"]

"PocketMonsters" It's no longer called pocketmonsters

Yangire

61iDOuBS6eL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Uh yeah it is.

That does not mean a game cannot be created for the consoles.

The name would simply have to be changed...

#48 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4727 posts) -

Pokemon Snap 2.

IMAGINE the possibilities!