Will the PS4 and X1 be the best selling consoles of al time?

  • 50 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by The4thVIII (372 posts) -

Both were brought by people filled with excitement, breaking sales records never before seen, and the excitement is still there with both having issues with demand outside a few countries were both put out a bit extra so others can buy it.

They already have games that have games that sold over 500,000 copies, and they are not even really 2 months old yet. It's amazing!

I see these two consoles breaking the 100 million mold in a very short period of time. Especially around next year with the expected updates, fuller game librarys and probable price cuts.

#2 Posted by lglz1337 (3855 posts) -

ps4 yes xbone nope

#3 Edited by Cranler (8809 posts) -

PS 4 I could see but not xbone.

Only reason xbone put up great launch numbers was the availability.

Xbones have now joined forces with wiiu's for store shelf dust collection.

#4 Posted by farrell2k (6340 posts) -

I doubt it. There are more options for people than ever now, and with the U.S. still suffering the affects of the Great Bush Recession of 2008, I bet consoles and video games sell less this generation.

#5 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

They won't sell better than the PS3 or Xbox 360

#6 Posted by betamaxx83 (351 posts) -

Xbone will never ever be bestowed as the best selling console ever nor any Microsoft consoles. It's big in the US, but it lags considerably to the PS brand in Europe. Sony does great in both regions. It will never sell in Japan either.

#7 Edited by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

I doubt it. There are more options for people than ever now, and with the U.S. still suffering the affects of the Great Bush Recession of 2008, I bet consoles and video games sell less this generation.

What options? Mobile seems to be expanding the market not taking over existing parts of it.

2008 was only 3 years into 360's gen and only 2 years into the ps3's gen. The economy should be better for most of this gen than last. Plus there are more gamers now than last gen.

#8 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

there is a chance, yes. Why? it's simple, the population is growing and video games are becoming more popular

BUT, more money in an industry = more people want a taste of it. Plus valve is about to official announce the steam box and if they can do it right They may take good percent of the normal console gamers to their side.

#9 Edited by Netret0120 (2199 posts) -

PS4 has a shot with the way it's selling

#10 Posted by farrell2k (6340 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@farrell2k said:

I doubt it. There are more options for people than ever now, and with the U.S. still suffering the affects of the Great Bush Recession of 2008, I bet consoles and video games sell less this generation.

What options? Mobile seems to be expanding the market not taking over existing parts of it.

2008 was only 3 years into 360's gen and only 2 years into the ps3's gen. The economy should be better for most of this gen than last. Plus there are more gamers now than last gen.

Mobile, definitely. Years ago children wanted Nintendo. Now they want Ipad.

#11 Edited by clyde46 (46589 posts) -

The PS2 is and will still be the best selling console of all time.

#12 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Nothing's beating the PS2...though I think the PS4 will be the best selling console this gen.

#13 Edited by emgesp (2153 posts) -

Think about it. PS3 came out a year after the 360 while also costing $200 more, yet it still managed to sell 80+ million units and it has since outsold the 360.

PS4 is $100 cheaper and was released alongside the XBO. PS4 will easily sell 100 million consoles in its lifetime.

PS4 will sell as good if not better than the original PS1.

#14 Edited by emgesp (2153 posts) -

@treedoor said:

They won't sell better than the PS3 or Xbox 360

PS4 will easily. Xbone probably won't.

#15 Edited by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@emgesp said:

Think about it. PS3 came out a year after the 360 while also costing $200 more, yet it still managed to sell 80+ million units and it has since outsold the 360.

PS4 is $100 cheaper and was released alongside the XBO. PS4 will easily sell 100 million consoles in its lifetime.

PS4 will sell as good if not better than the original PS1.

The PS3 has not outsold the 360. I can't believe there are still some of you desperate idiots that believe this.

On top of that, the one year head start is not even an excuse, 1. Because of the Wii and 2. The ps3 sold around double what the 360 sold the first year, it's first year, so that gap did nothing whatsoever.

#16 Edited by TheTruthIsREAL (761 posts) -

Ps4, yes. Xbox One? No. So much for "CONSOLES ARE Dying." PC gamers still an afterthought.

#17 Posted by super600 (30718 posts) -

The PS4 and xbox one have no chance of getting anywere near an LTD of 155 million. There is a good chance both will sell below 100 million and both will possibly sell worse than their predecessors.The PS4 or Xbox one will not be the next wii or PS2.

#18 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3052 posts) -

Nope. Too much parity. The userbase is more spread out now than the ps2 gen.

#19 Edited by Jag85 (4596 posts) -

Nope. Early sales records don't tell us much. The Wii broke all sales records when it launched, yet that didn't make it the best-selling console of all time. I highly doubt either the PS4 or X1 will ever reach the record numbers of the PS2 and DS.

#20 Edited by emgesp (2153 posts) -

@Jakandsigz said:

@emgesp said:

Think about it. PS3 came out a year after the 360 while also costing $200 more, yet it still managed to sell 80+ million units and it has since outsold the 360.

PS4 is $100 cheaper and was released alongside the XBO. PS4 will easily sell 100 million consoles in its lifetime.

PS4 will sell as good if not better than the original PS1.

The PS3 has not outsold the 360. I can't believe there are still some of you desperate idiots that believe this.

On top of that, the one year head start is not even an excuse, 1. Because of the Wii and 2. The ps3 sold around double what the 360 sold the first year, it's first year, so that gap did nothing whatsoever.

Worldwide the PS3 has indeed outsold the 360. 360 only outsold the PS3 in the US.

#21 Edited by TheTruthIsREAL (761 posts) -

@super600: sure

#22 Edited by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

@Cranler said:

@farrell2k said:

I doubt it. There are more options for people than ever now, and with the U.S. still suffering the affects of the Great Bush Recession of 2008, I bet consoles and video games sell less this generation.

What options? Mobile seems to be expanding the market not taking over existing parts of it.

2008 was only 3 years into 360's gen and only 2 years into the ps3's gen. The economy should be better for most of this gen than last. Plus there are more gamers now than last gen.

Mobile, definitely. Years ago children wanted Nintendo. Now they want Ipad.

That would have no affect on Sony and MS. Ipads and tablets in general are affecting pc sales more than anything

#23 Edited by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

Nope. Early sales records don't tell us much. The Wii broke all sales records when it launched, yet that didn't make it the best-selling console of all time. I highly doubt either the PS4 or X1 will ever reach the record numbers of the PS2 and DS.

Wii was a fad that died halfway through the gen. PS 4 sales wont die like that.

#24 Edited by blamix99 (2053 posts) -

the PS4 will, i don't think the Xbox One will

#25 Edited by Jag85 (4596 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@Jag85 said:

Nope. Early sales records don't tell us much. The Wii broke all sales records when it launched, yet that didn't make it the best-selling console of all time. I highly doubt either the PS4 or X1 will ever reach the record numbers of the PS2 and DS.

Wii was a fad that died halfway through the gen. PS 4 sales wont die like that.

Even if it doesn't, right now I just don't see any indication that it will ever reach PS2/DS level numbers. If I had to make a rough guess, it might end up with Wii-level numbers by the end of the generation.

#26 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

@emgesp said:

@treedoor said:

They won't sell better than the PS3 or Xbox 360

PS4 will easily. Xbone probably won't.

I don't think so.

Both launches are better than the launches of the PS3 and Xbox 360 respectively, but we live in a pre-order culture.

We've seen sales records broken every year, yet spending in the console industry has actually been going down every year since 2008. I'm sure this year spending will be up over 2012, but that's due to the new console launch (and GTAV).

I believe the sales will taper off not too long from now.

#27 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

@Cranler said:

@Jag85 said:

Nope. Early sales records don't tell us much. The Wii broke all sales records when it launched, yet that didn't make it the best-selling console of all time. I highly doubt either the PS4 or X1 will ever reach the record numbers of the PS2 and DS.

Wii was a fad that died halfway through the gen. PS 4 sales wont die like that.

Even if it doesn't, right now I just don't see any indication that it will ever reach PS2/DS level numbers. If I had to make a rough guess, it might end up with Wii-level numbers by the end of the generation.

Why would PS 4 sales die? Devs will eventually drop ps360 support. Only way PS 4 sales die is if everyone quits gaming or goes xbone and pc. Both of which are highly unlikely.

#28 Edited by Merex760 (4328 posts) -

I think XB1 will sell less than 360, but PS4 will sell more than PS3.

#29 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@treedoor said:

@emgesp said:

@treedoor said:

They won't sell better than the PS3 or Xbox 360

PS4 will easily. Xbone probably won't.

I don't think so.

Both launches are better than the launches of the PS3 and Xbox 360 respectively, but we live in a pre-order culture.

We've seen sales records broken every year, yet spending in the console industry has actually been going down every year since 2008. I'm sure this year spending will be up over 2012, but that's due to the new console launch (and GTAV).

I believe the sales will taper off not too long from now.

When will they taper off? Witcher 3 and Infamous should help drive sales during the spring/summer. Then The Division is scheduled for fall 2014. Next gen exclusives will slowly but surely become more common to the point where ps360 are phased out, so gamers will either have to quit gaming or buy a next gen console.

Console industry spending may have quite a bit to do with the growth in popularity of mp gaming. 1 mp game can give a consumer 100's of hours of play time resulting in less game purchases and/or less full price game purchase.

#30 Posted by Jacobistheman (3975 posts) -

I don't think this generation will last long enough for that to happen. I think there is enough competition from things like Steam Box (and even things like AppleTV or android based gaming systems) that will probably be updated every year or two that it will force Sony and Microsoft to update more often (though I don't think you will see any big architecture changes. You might even seen things more like PC upgrades where the games are the same but the graphics are better on the new console)

#31 Edited by Jag85 (4596 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@Jag85 said:

@Cranler said:

@Jag85 said:

Nope. Early sales records don't tell us much. The Wii broke all sales records when it launched, yet that didn't make it the best-selling console of all time. I highly doubt either the PS4 or X1 will ever reach the record numbers of the PS2 and DS.

Wii was a fad that died halfway through the gen. PS 4 sales wont die like that.

Even if it doesn't, right now I just don't see any indication that it will ever reach PS2/DS level numbers. If I had to make a rough guess, it might end up with Wii-level numbers by the end of the generation.

Why would PS 4 sales die? Devs will eventually drop ps360 support. Only way PS 4 sales die is if everyone quits gaming or goes xbone and pc. Both of which are highly unlikely.

What does sales dying have to do with anything? In order to sell PS2/DS level numbers, it will need to capture, and more importantly maintain, the vast majority of the market. In other words, it's not enough to simply outsell the X1 and WU, but it needs to trounce them by a wide margin, like what the PS2 did to the DC, GC, and XB.

#32 Edited by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

soon as ppl realize they have no games...no

#33 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

@Cranler said:

When will they taper off? Witcher 3 and Infamous should help drive sales during the spring/summer. Then The Division is scheduled for fall 2014. Next gen exclusives will slowly but surely become more common to the point where ps360 are phased out, so gamers will either have to quit gaming or buy a next gen console.

Console industry spending may have quite a bit to do with the growth in popularity of mp gaming. 1 mp game can give a consumer 100's of hours of play time resulting in less game purchases and/or less full price game purchase.

More to do with the rise of new gaming markets on top of the competition from other forms of media that have become more convenient over the years.

Millions of people use gaming to occupy five minutes here and there, and smart phones have taken a huge amount of that gaming population due to their cheapness, and convenience.

On the other end, PC has become exponentially easier, and far cheaper than it was 10 years ago which is also taking gamers from the console market.

In addition, even Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, Reddit, Imgur, etc etc., whether anyone thinks it or not, are competing against gaming.

I'm not saying the console market will die off. It still has a dedicated fan base, and will perhaps always have that, but the majority of people who bought consoles in the past are not part of that dedicated fan base.

#34 Edited by Newhopes (4582 posts) -

Nope they won't.

#35 Edited by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

PS4 could but Xbone doesn't stand a chance.

#36 Posted by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

I believe I remember seeing that the gaming industry has tripled in size over the past 10 years.

Every year more gamers pickup a controller and older gamers dont put their controller down, the industry as a whole is only growing. Probably will stay that way for at least the next 30 years.

#37 Posted by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -
@treedoor said:

@Cranler said:

When will they taper off? Witcher 3 and Infamous should help drive sales during the spring/summer. Then The Division is scheduled for fall 2014. Next gen exclusives will slowly but surely become more common to the point where ps360 are phased out, so gamers will either have to quit gaming or buy a next gen console.

Console industry spending may have quite a bit to do with the growth in popularity of mp gaming. 1 mp game can give a consumer 100's of hours of play time resulting in less game purchases and/or less full price game purchase.

More to do with the rise of new gaming markets on top of the competition from other forms of media that have become more convenient over the years.

Millions of people use gaming to occupy five minutes here and there, and smart phones have taken a huge amount of that gaming population due to their cheapness, and convenience.

On the other end, PC has become exponentially easier, and far cheaper than it was 10 years ago which is also taking gamers from the console market.

In addition, even Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, Reddit, Imgur, etc etc., whether anyone thinks it or not, are competing against gaming.

I'm not saying the console market will die off. It still has a dedicated fan base, and will perhaps always have that, but the majority of people who bought consoles in the past are not part of that dedicated fan base.

While you might be correct, and i have no idea if you are. I can say that PC gaming has lost alot of its competitive advantage over the years.

Its used to be if you wanted to play online games, WRPGs, or shooters... you had to be a PC gamer. Nowadays that isnt the case. So while its certainly easier and cheaper today to be a PC gamer, alot of gaming experiences that used to be exclusive to PC, no longer are.

And in a world still dominated by 1080p displays, the gap is shrinking in terms of the PC graphical advantage. Consoles will always be easier to use, and without getting into detail about long term costs, i think the perception of the public is still largely that consoles are cheaper.

In my mind, the advantages of being a PC gamer are largely eroding in the minds of the mainstream gamer.

#38 Edited by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@treedoor said:

@Cranler said:

When will they taper off? Witcher 3 and Infamous should help drive sales during the spring/summer. Then The Division is scheduled for fall 2014. Next gen exclusives will slowly but surely become more common to the point where ps360 are phased out, so gamers will either have to quit gaming or buy a next gen console.

Console industry spending may have quite a bit to do with the growth in popularity of mp gaming. 1 mp game can give a consumer 100's of hours of play time resulting in less game purchases and/or less full price game purchase.

More to do with the rise of new gaming markets on top of the competition from other forms of media that have become more convenient over the years.

Millions of people use gaming to occupy five minutes here and there, and smart phones have taken a huge amount of that gaming population due to their cheapness, and convenience.

On the other end, PC has become exponentially easier, and far cheaper than it was 10 years ago which is also taking gamers from the console market.

In addition, even Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, Reddit, Imgur, etc etc., whether anyone thinks it or not, are competing against gaming.

I'm not saying the console market will die off. It still has a dedicated fan base, and will perhaps always have that, but the majority of people who bought consoles in the past are not part of that dedicated fan base.

Who sits in front of tv, starts up console and plays Halo for 5 min? Those 5 minute people are those who are in transit or on break. The gaming market is expanding. Mobile isnt taking consoles over, it's stacking.

Video game revenue was $54 billion in 2008 and in 2012 it was $63 billion. A lot of that $9 billion are the casuals buying smartphone games to play on the train.

Yes, pc gaming is cheaper and more accessible than ever but people will pick the platform their friends use. 10 years ago it didnt matter much if you bought a different console than your friends, in fact it was a good idea so you could trade systems. That was before multiplayer changed console gaming. Now gamers choose their platform based on what their friends have so they can play together.

Where did you get the idea that the majority of old console owners are not a part of that dedicated fanbase?

7th gen consople sales beat 6th gen by about 50 million and 7th gen consoles are still selling.

360, ps3 and wii sold a combined 260 million and their still selling.

Video gaming has always competed against other forms of entertainment, not sure why you brought that up.

#39 Edited by Zophar87 (4351 posts) -

Not a chance.

#40 Edited by M8ingSeezun (2011 posts) -

I wouldn't go that far.

As for THIS GEN ALONE, I see PS4 leading the pack, followed closely by X1 and then WiiU in 3rd.

All three console will flourish, including the WiiU (probably less then Wii levels, but surely better than GC levels).

#41 Edited by Douevenlift_bro (5222 posts) -

Xbone? LMAOOOOOO

#42 Edited by lhughey (4240 posts) -

Both consoles will sell really well, but the advancement of phone gaming will deny all time sales records.

#43 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (6219 posts) -

I think both will sell more than their predecessors.

#44 Edited by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@lhughey said:

Both consoles will sell really well, but the advancement of phone gaming will deny all time sales records.

I dont know of anyone who quit console gaming for phone gaming.

#45 Posted by TheShensolidus (224 posts) -

Super hard to say really. Sure, these consoles are doing impressive numbers out the gate, but you need to remember - The PS2 is the highest selling console of all time and that console's launch was wracked with supply issues in any market it touched, and it still didn't put up the numbers the PS4/X1 are putting up.

The only thing we are seeing with the launch of these new consoles is that:

A) Sony/MS are able to produce more now and were better prepared for a launch than at any other point in either history as hardware manufacturers.

B) There are more people openly playing games on any & all kinds of devices now than at any other point in gaming history.

Neither of these facts necessarily guarantee that one or both of these machines will reach the coveted 150 Million LTD sales record. Demand being seemingly so strong for PS4 is nice, but we need to see how many sales such demand will generate, and if the continued growth in other areas of entertainment by both companies will be able to reach larger audiences.

#46 Posted by scoots9 (3203 posts) -

Nothing this gen, not even the 3DS, is going to pass the PS2.

#47 Edited by Sushiglutton (5331 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

The PS2 is and will still be the best selling console of all time.

#48 Posted by lhughey (4240 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@lhughey said:

Both consoles will sell really well, but the advancement of phone gaming will deny all time sales records.

I dont know of anyone who quit console gaming for phone gaming.

Me neither, but we just don't know the right people because phone gaming is growing. I don't think console gaming will decline, but it wont grow at the rate it would if phone gaming wasn't growing.

#49 Posted by jsmoke03 (12923 posts) -

theres a 145million reasons why im saying no....its the ps2

#50 Posted by NFJSupreme (5379 posts) -

Too much competition these days. Neither of them will surpass the ps2. The market is to splintered. Most importantly the casual market. Casuals can play xbone, woos, their ipads, cellphones. They have too many options now to all flock to one device like they did with the ps2 and original wii.