Will the Playstation 4 introduce a new format?

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (3642 posts) -

Unless 4k hdtv comes down in price they should just stick with a faster blu-ray drive. The future is down loadable content for everything the disc is not really needed as much.

#52 Posted by YoshiYogurt (6008 posts) -

Technology seems stalled ATM.

CDS were extremely innovative for games on the PS1 and the launch ps1 made a high quility cd player.

DVDs allowed bigger games and the ps2 was a great DVD player

Blu rays have enough space for 25+gbs and the ps3 was a great blu ray player

With the ps4 coming out in 2013 or 2014, there isn't really much to innovate. Graphics haven't gone very far from 2007(crisis) and there are no 1 or 2 TB SSDs out yet...

#53 Posted by streetridaz (3276 posts) -

Stick with Blu Ray. They haven't even reached the point where a game spans multiple Blu Rays yet.

Someone should go to a 16/32/64 gig cartridge format.

psymon100
More then likely.
#54 Posted by glez13 (9602 posts) -

Hopefully they will stick with Bluray.

#55 Posted by ziggyww (907 posts) -
I more layered Blu-ray. The PS3 diodes to reading the discs are to big to read anything above a dual layer blu-ray thats got 50gb of information on it. But quad layers already exist so they could simple stick small diodes in the next PS4 to read this and that will give us 100gb discs and there are meant to be prototypes of a 8 layer disc. so who knows, I feel we will at least see 4 layer blu-rays to take into account of the more detail that will need to be saved.
#56 Posted by KillzoneSnake (2059 posts) -

PS4 should have a better blu ray player so i guess... bigger blu rays. There really is no need for anything new.

#57 Posted by delta3074 (19915 posts) -
With digital downloads becoming more and more the Norm, they would be stupid to try and introduce a new Solid format, especially after the hit they took pushing BR.
Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
#58 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (3233 posts) -

They'll stick with Blu-ray they are working on making the disc bigger, while retaining compatibility with old players through a firmware update. Pioneer unveiled a 400gb disc and are looking to make a 1TB. Sony are also working on a new violet-blue laser which disc can store 1TB.

They might use a new player with the new laser, and have it be backwards compatible for bluray movies. I can't see them going for anything too extravagant as bluray still has plenty of life left.

#59 Posted by metal_zombie (2288 posts) -
[QUOTE="metal_zombie"]

I hope not blu ray is good enough though it would be funny if they made games using something like thisclone01

Ah, the laser disc! I remember those. State of the art, at the time.

Glad someone remembers them it would be hilarious to see them come back

#60 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

It's going to be Blu-ray with faster read speed.

#61 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5456 posts) -

They'll stick with Blu-ray they are working on making the disc bigger, while retaining compatibility with old players through a firmware update. Pioneer unveiled a 400gb disc and are looking to make a 1TB. Sony are also working on a new violet-blue laser which disc can store 1TB.

They might use a new player with the new laser, and have it be backwards compatible for bluray movies. I can't see them going for anything too extravagant as bluray still has plenty of life left.

APiranhaAteMyVa
4 layer Blu rays are 128GB, not 100GB. And yes. BDXL players/drives/burnable discs are available right now, and arent even that expensive. I see no reason for Sony not to use these.
Avatar image for CommanderpeaceC
#62 Posted by CommanderpeaceC (63 posts) -

For all of Sony's Generations, we have always had a new format introduced to the gaming world.

The PS1 used CD's.

The PS2 used DVD's (could play CD's), which made it have a nice appeal to get a complimentary DVD player with your PS2.

The PS3 was capable of playing Blu-Rays (could play DVD's and CD's), but had little appeal to consumers because of the price.

So, will the PS4 have a new format? If so, what will it be?

If you don't think the PS4 will have a new format, why?

inb4 "lolmodsmaketopics?"

verbtex
DVDs and CDs were not introduced mod fanboy.
#63 Posted by FILIPINOMAZTER (1627 posts) -
probably some advanced blu ray that can hold up to 2 terabytes of crapload of data
#64 Posted by Pug-Nasty (8508 posts) -

I don't think so. Previous format upgrades made sense due to technical requirements, but Blu-ray has made a lot of advances since its inception. We will likely see a higher capacity/faster blu-ray drive.

#65 Posted by verbtex (8925 posts) -

I'm guessing they stick with Blu-ray, if anything because the continuous rise of digital distribution will make the development of a new format pointless.

Vari3ty

Sounds pretty good to me.

#66 Posted by verbtex (8925 posts) -

[QUOTE="verbtex"]

For all of Sony's Generations, we have always had a new format introduced to the gaming world.

The PS1 used CD's.

The PS2 used DVD's (could play CD's), which made it have a nice appeal to get a complimentary DVD player with your PS2.

The PS3 was capable of playing Blu-Rays (could play DVD's and CD's), but had little appeal to consumers because of the price.

So, will the PS4 have a new format? If so, what will it be?

If you don't think the PS4 will have a new format, why?

inb4 "lolmodsmaketopics?"

CommanderpeaceC

DVDs and CDs were not introduced mod fanboy.

It was a poor choice of wording on my part. I should have said that the new generations have always used a different format.

#67 Posted by emgesp (6741 posts) -

BDXL is a possibility, but I doubt it. Most likely a 8-10x Blu-ray drive.

#68 Posted by verbtex (8925 posts) -

I don't think so. Previous format upgrades made sense due to technical requirements, but Blu-ray has made a lot of advances since its inception. We will likely see a higher capacity/faster blu-ray drive.

Pug-Nasty

I would so love to see a better disk reading speed.

#69 Posted by verbtex (8925 posts) -

emgesp

This saddens me. I need GOOD technology. :P

#70 Posted by emgesp (6741 posts) -

[QUOTE="emgesp"]

verbtex

This saddens me. I need GOOD technology. :P

Well just be happy that mandatory installs shouldn't be an issue next-gen.
#71 Posted by rjdofu (9171 posts) -
Stick to bluray, they barely even use it to the full potential this gen.
#72 Posted by MasterPS4 (25 posts) -
Playstation 4 will use Memory Card, USB Disk, Pen Drive, and of course BLURAY Next for 4K video.
#73 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

Stick to bluray, they barely even use it to the full potential this gen.rjdofu

A number of PS3 exclusives used the advantage given by Blu-ray.

That explains why 360 exclusives aren't as good.

#74 Posted by PAL360 (28249 posts) -

[QUOTE="rjdofu"]Stick to bluray, they barely even use it to the full potential this gen.GamerwillzPS

Haze + Bluray = Halo killer! Hell yeah :D

#75 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

[QUOTE="rjdofu"]Stick to bluray, they barely even use it to the full potential this gen.PAL360

Oh God, Haze was awful.

#76 Posted by PAL360 (28249 posts) -

[QUOTE="PAL360"]

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

GamerwillzPS

Oh God, Haze was awful.

Exactly my point. PS3 has great and terrible exclusives, just like any other system. Lol at saying Bluray has anything to do with the quality of games :P

#77 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

[QUOTE="PAL360"]Haze + Bluray = Halo killer! Hell yeah :D

PAL360

Oh God, Haze was awful.

Exactly my point. PS3 has great and terrible exclusives, just like any other system. Lol at saying Bluray has anything to do with the quality of games :P

I was talking about games such as Uncharted, Killzone, MGS4 and God of War 3. They clearly used the advantage from Blu-ray. The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls and God of War: Ascension sure will do as well.

I can't find any games on the 360 that matches those games in terms of depth and story.

Hell, some multiplats come with multiple discs on the 360!

#78 Posted by PAL360 (28249 posts) -

[QUOTE="PAL360"]

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

Oh God, Haze was awful.

GamerwillzPS

I was talking about games such as Uncharted, Killzone, MGS4 and God of War 3. They clearly used the advantage from Blu-ray. The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls and God of War: Ascension sure will do as well.

I can't find any games on the 360 that matches those games in terms of depth and story.

Those are indeed the best PS3 exclusives (LBP2 aswell). That said, Gears of War 3, Halo 4, Forza 4, Horizon and Trials Evo are just as good and feature packed.

#79 Posted by The_Game21x (26361 posts) -

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

[QUOTE="PAL360"]

PAL360

Those are indeed the best PS3 exclusives (LBP2 aswell). That said, Gears of War 3, Halo 4, Forza 4, Horizon and Trials Evo are just as good and feature packed.

Even Halo 3 has more multiplayer options and content than any PS3 exclusive.

That's just silly cow Gamerwillz being Gamerwillz.