Will the Playstation 4 introduce a new format?

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by verbtex (8509 posts) -

For all of Sony's Generations, we have always had a new format introduced to the gaming world.

The PS1 used CD's.

The PS2 used DVD's (could play CD's), which made it have a nice appeal to get a complimentary DVD player with your PS2.

The PS3 was capable of playing Blu-Rays (could play DVD's and CD's), but had little appeal to consumers because of the price.

So, will the PS4 have a new format? If so, what will it be?

If you don't think the PS4 will have a new format, why?

inb4 "lolmodsmaketopics?"

#2 Posted by TrueAmerican007 (700 posts) -
Probably a more advanced form of Blu Ray
#3 Posted by verbtex (8509 posts) -

Probably a more advanced form of Blu RayTrueAmerican007

Will we finally see the use of a 50 layer Blu-Ray? :o.

I want one. NOW.

#4 Posted by SolidTy (42818 posts) -

If they want to save money for consumers and have a lower price entry for the PS3 ($300-$400), Sony will forgo introducing a new disc format and just re-use Blu-Ray (Increasing the drive speed and perhaps even the storage is an option though).

The PS3 was so expensive mostly because of Blu-Ray, which at the time Blu-Ray standalone players were $1000. This alone will allow Sony to get a better price at launch while concentrating on the RAM, GPU, and CPU.

If Sony opts to include Move 2 or some other gimmick, that could drive the price up though. The same risk for the 720, again, if Kinect 2 HD (or a Tablet of sorts) is included. Let's hope those aren't forced inclusions.

Only a tiny few games (like MGS4) exceeded the 25GB storage offered in a single layer Blu-Ray. There's plenty of life left in the format.

Krazy Ken isn't behind Sony's PS4, which will be a good thing when we are talking about Pricing.

This is a topic that has been brought up so much in SW, I don't want to track down previous conversations, but I do believe Sony's best move is to save money not introducing a new format and to reuse Blu-Ray.

#5 Posted by AmnesiaHaze (5683 posts) -

what could be better than blu ray ... a violet ray ?

#6 Posted by verbtex (8509 posts) -

what could be better than blu ray ... a violet ray ?

AmnesiaHaze

Ultraviolet is a digital format, I don't think violet ray will be next only because it would be too easy to confuse the two.

#7 Posted by verbtex (8509 posts) -

If they want to save money for consumers and have a lower price entry for the PS3 ($300-$400), Sony will forgo introducing a new disc format and just re-use Blu-Ray (Increading the drive speed and perhaps even the storage is an option though).

Only a tiny few games (like MGS4) exceeded the 25GB storage offered in a single layer Blu-Ray. There's plenty of life left in the format.

SolidTy

This sounds like an idea they could go for, as the economy isn't exactly great to be taking huge risks.

Hopefully they learned how not to advertise...see..the Vita.

#8 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

I'm guessing they stick with Blu-ray, if anything because the continuous rise of digital distribution will make the development of a new format pointless.

#9 Posted by soulitane (13482 posts) -
I'm no business expert (like most of SW :P) but I'd say no. They took a massive loss introducing BR and at the current point I don't think they exactly have the wiggle room for them to be able to invest heavily in a new format which at current times isn't even needed considering 1080p for TV's is still the norm.
#10 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

Stick with Blu Ray. They haven't even reached the point where a game spans multiple Blu Rays yet.

Someone should go to a 16/32/64 gig cartridge format.

#11 Posted by clyde46 (46024 posts) -
It will be best if Sony stick with Blu-ray. They marketed the hell out of the format and spent millions on the technology with other companies. If they decide to introduce a new format then they will be shooting themselves in the foot.
#12 Posted by _Matt_ (8908 posts) -

For everyone's sake I hope they stick with Blu ray. Cheap Blu Ray drives these days can easily read 50GB dual layer, and at 12x (compared to the 2x of the Ps3), so can be stupidly fast and have the capacity. It's jsut not worth changing the format when it has so much more life left.

#13 Posted by clyde46 (46024 posts) -

Stick with Blu Ray. They haven't even reached the point where a game spans multiple Blu Rays yet.

Someone should go to a 16/32/64 gig cartridge format.

psymon100
#14 Posted by Namgis (3575 posts) -

What Solid said. Blu Ray is still a viable format, they should stick with it. Look what devs are doing these days with the so called 'limited capabilities' they're dealing with. Give the devs more to work with at a reasonable price and the PS brand should win come back player of the gen award.

#15 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

Sticking to Blu-Ray 2.0 is the way for Sony, by improving the existing Blu Ray tech, they save cost and also considering the rise of digital day one downloads, i would assume it makes perfect sense. In a nutshell, focus the tech on other areas like bigger hard drives for digital downloads, stronger processors n graphix cards (the most significant bit) n improvise the Blu Ray + Whatever tacked on gimmick they may wana add for next gen, maybe Move 2.0, 3D glasses or whatever

#16 Posted by Borrizee (379 posts) -
I hope not. I did not play blue ray on my ps3 so far because I did play DVD on the ps2 and had to buy it 3 times. I blame it on to much hours in service and DVDs . Could be wrong but I only bought 2 ps3 over the years so it's better for me to use it only for gaming.
#17 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -
It will have a ZIP drive. But really, I don't expect that same trojan-horse tactic to be available to them this time. Not unless and until they start putting out movies in 2160p.
#18 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4231 posts) -

Not needed. The PS3 didn't use Blu Ray effectively. The current Blu Ray tech will suffice for next gen.

The only reason the PS3 games needed an install and were padded out in size was because the drive was slow.

Do you notice how the Wii U games don't need installs and and aren't bigger than they need to be, even though they have 25GB layered discs.

#19 Posted by Malta_1980 (11244 posts) -

Guess Blu-ray should be more than enough for the coming years in terms of storage etc..

I would rather have Sony include a large HDD and improve the speed of their downloads/updates rather than introduce a new 'expensive' format..

#20 Posted by kraken2109 (13030 posts) -

Faster blu-ray drive is all they'd need, maybe bigger capacities.

#21 Posted by Blade8Aus (1819 posts) -

I have no idea what they will do, but I think flash memory could work. Otherwise, sticking with Blu-Ray would be just fine, unless they go full DD (unexpectedly IMO).

*EDIT*

I take that back about flash memory. It probably wouldn't really work for the more ambitious AAA titles if it's supposed to be the standard. Probably just Blu-Rays then...

#22 Posted by Puckhog04 (22606 posts) -

Doesn't matter to me as long as it's functional. Bluray is already more than capable.

#23 Posted by metal_zombie (2287 posts) -

I hope not blu ray is good enough though it would be funny if they made games using something like this

_LDISC.GIF

#24 Posted by AmnesiaHaze (5683 posts) -

I hope not blu ray is good enough though it would be funny if they made games using something like this

_LDISC.GIF

metal_zombie
lol that looks like a vinyl record CD hybrid :P
#25 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8530 posts) -

It could support BD XL which holds 100GB.

#26 Posted by Gue1 (9771 posts) -

the rumor has it that Sony's working on a new format called "Super Blu-Ray Disc 4.0" and that it can hold up to 25 terabytes per layer.

[spoiler] this is not true BTW [/spoiler]

#27 Posted by Inconsistancy (8091 posts) -

I don't expect them to go with a whole new format, if they run out of space on the dual layer Blu-ray, they can go to BDXL 100gb/disc.

This may be the last generation of optical media...

[QUOTE="metal_zombie"]

_LDISC.GIF

AmnesiaHaze

lol that looks like a vinyl record CD hybrid :P

Laserdisc! haven't seen one since middle school.

#28 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

There is no other format. After Blu Ray it's all digital. Better get use to that fact brah

#29 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -
PS1 didn't introduce CD's to gaming.
#30 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22119 posts) -

It could support BD XL which holds 100GB.

GamerwillzPS

those are still expensive atm so they might not used them until the ps5 comes out.

#31 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
as you said...they have introduced something each gen... its possible... but probably just a more advanced blu ray ...which in turn is a more advanced dvd...which in turn is a more advanced cd.....
#32 Posted by Borrizee (379 posts) -
PS1 didn't introduce CD's to gaming.fernandmondego_
Nope I think Philips cd-I did
#33 Posted by l34052 (3165 posts) -

...Someone should go to a 16/32/64 gig cartridge format.

psymon100

Whilst i do agree this would be a good idea it wont happen because of the cost of the cartridges themselves, it was one of the problems devs faced with the n64 so wont be repeated again unless they can somehow get the costs of the actual cartidges down to almost nothing like BR/DVD.

Im more than happy with BR games.

#34 Posted by StormyJoe (5122 posts) -

For all of Sony's Generations, we have always had a new format introduced to the gaming world.

The PS1 used CD's.

The PS2 used DVD's (could play CD's), which made it have a nice appeal to get a complimentary DVD player with your PS2.

The PS3 was capable of playing Blu-Rays (could play DVD's and CD's), but had little appeal to consumers because of the price.

So, will the PS4 have a new format? If so, what will it be?

If you don't think the PS4 will have a new format, why?

inb4 "lolmodsmaketopics?"

verbtex

No. Blu-Ray hasn't even caught on yet (more DVDs are sold currently).

#35 Posted by The_Game21x (26342 posts) -

Not unless they're stupid.

Blu Ray is more than big enough for games and the tech is good enough now that they won't have to go with installs to offset slow read speeds (because even a 4x drive would be way faster than the 360's DVD drive).

But the industry is moving toward digital distribution anyway so the days of the optical disc format (and pretty much any physical format) are already numbered.

#36 Posted by Heil68 (43975 posts) -

Doesn't matter to me as long as it's functional. Bluray is already more than capable.

Puckhog04
I agree with this.
#37 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5160 posts) -

There are already Blu Ray XL (BDXL) disks that have up to 128GB of storage on 4 layers available RIGHT NOW as well as the players and drives to burn them.

They have been available since 2010, and you can buy the drives and blank disks right now.

#38 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5160 posts) -

Not unless they're stupid.

Blu Ray is more than big enough for games and the tech is good enough now that they won't have to go with installs to offset slow read speeds (because even a 4x drive would be way faster than the 360's DVD drive).

But the industry is moving toward digital distribution anyway so the days of the optical disc format (and pretty much any physical format) are already numbered.

The_Game21x

This. And once fiber optic internet (like Google Fiber) become standerd, download speeds will be MUCH faster than they are today. Its going to be like going from dial up/DSL to Broadband.

#39 Posted by Wasdie (49751 posts) -

No. There is no point. Blu-Ray has more than enough capacity for next gen games, disk reading speeds are much faster, and drives are much cheaper. They would be crazy not to use Blu-Ray again. Even Microsoft should consider using Blu-Ray.

#40 Posted by clone01 (24653 posts) -

I'm guessing they stick with Blu-ray, if anything because the continuous rise of digital distribution will make the development of a new format pointless.

Vari3ty
I agree.
#41 Posted by clone01 (24653 posts) -

_LDISC.GIF

metal_zombie
Ah, the laser disc! I remember those. State of the art, at the time.
#42 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42716 posts) -
Doubt it, I reckon' we'll only see another a Blu-ray (albeit at faster read speed) drive.
#43 Posted by lundy86_4 (43226 posts) -

I think they'll stick with Blu-Ray. It's penetrated the market quite effectively, and it's suitable for game development (especially now).

#44 Posted by vashkey (33722 posts) -

Kinda doubt it. Blu-Ray still havn't even over taken the DVD as the preffered format and in terms of storage most PS3 games didn't even use half of what a Blu-Ray could store. I feel like downloads will become the preferred format though.

#45 Posted by kraken2109 (13030 posts) -

There is no other format. After Blu Ray it's all digital. Better get use to that fact brah

Master_ShakeXXX
You mean direct download? Because blu-ray/DVD are already digital.
#46 Posted by caseypayne69 (5390 posts) -
Why would they abandon Blu-Ray when it really hasn't gotten off the ground completely yet? AND it it more the enough for next gen for file storage. What 50 Gb isn't enough? Then start compressing it.
#47 Posted by LadyBlue (3928 posts) -
Complete idiocy if they bring a new format in to the market right now.
#48 Posted by LadyBlue (3928 posts) -
Doubt it, I reckon' we'll only see another a Blu-ray (albeit at faster read speed) drive.Stevo_the_gamer
Hopefully, that's one of the reasons why the ps3 needs to install just about every game.
#49 Posted by PS360Wii4eva (297 posts) -
Gaikai streaming. Mark my words.
#50 Posted by D4W1L4H (1826 posts) -

I reckon they'll go full digital this time round.