Will the 2DS negatively affect 3DS games and vice versa?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by rjdofu (9171 posts) -

First of all I know the fact that they are basically the same except the 3D functionality & form factor, but here's this article:

Zelda series producer Eiji Aonuma has said that the development team at Nintendo EAD Group No. 3 only found out about the existence of the Nintendo 2DS after starting work on The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds--which makes heavy use of the 3DS' 3D feature.

Speaking via an interpreter in an interview with GameSpot, Aonuma said that the team subsequently made some changes to ensure that the game was completely playable in 2D. "It's not that you can't play it with 2D, it's just that it becomes clearer when you have the 3D effect on. We found out about the 2DS during development, not before, and we also made changes so that we were sure that you could still play and solve the puzzles only with 2D. It's definitely still playable in 2D!"

blablabla 3D is great blablabla

Source

From the bold part, the presence of the 2DS makes Zelda developers think twice before implement a game element that utilizes the 3D effect (like puzzles) so that 2DS owners can enjoy the same experience. As much as I think the 3D effect is a useless gimmick, there's nothing wrong with devs trying to be creative and take advantage of the feature (it might work idk). However, now that the 2DS is here, it probably won't happen.

On the contrary, supposedly a 3rd party developer utilizes the 3D effect and somewhat forget the existence of the 2DS, this might mess up the 2DS version since it will be much harder (or impossible) to solve the puzzle without 3D functionality; thus not as enjoyable as the 3DS version.

I think one solution to this is to strictly develop 2D gameplay elements for both the 3DS and 2DS and only leave the 3D as a visual option, it might prevent creativity/innovation this way however.

What do you think?

#2 Posted by Sweenix (5957 posts) -

Nah, the 2ds looks like crap, and i don't think anyone would be caught dead with one

#4 Edited by trugs26 (5954 posts) -

There is no creativity or innovation that comes from it anyway. Mario Land used it the most in terms of "gameplay", but other than that, it's pretty much aesthetic. But that's not to say we should be without it, for example, a game like Luigi's Mansion 2 is really nice with the 3D on, because it's kind of like a diorama. But in terms of gameplay, there is hardly anything there. So in the grand scheme of things, the 3D adds about 1% to the innovation realm.

In terms of whether the 2DS will push 3D out - it's possible, but my personal theory is that a lot of people are going to get the 2DS this holiday, especially for Pokemon, and in a few years time, these people will upgrade to a 3DS - thus Nintendo has effectively doubled their sales per customer.

So in sum:

- There are hardly any games that use 3D as a machanic

- So this does not affect how it plays on the 2DS (so you can't "mess up" the 2D version)

- If it does act as a mechanic - it's an optional mechanic (Mario Land)

- My theory (and off topic): 2DS owners will buy a 3DS in future, thus giving Nintendo more money.

#5 Posted by rjdofu (9171 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

I have not played on 3sd game that actually relied on 3d. It's just a nice little gimmick. The 2ds will affect nothing.

If you read the quote, looks like there was gonna be one (not strictly relies on 3D but involves 3D nonetheless) aka. Zelda a link between world, but the 2DS basically makes the devs to stop trying to implement that feature,

#6 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17521 posts) -

Yes, I read about Zelda: A link between worlds making specific use of the 3D effect. I don't know in what way but if the game was altered because of the 2DS than that is a shame.

On the other hand, many people that game on 3DS like to play in 2D as well, so it's not just because of 2DS. I personally have 3D enabled all the time, I really love the feature.

#7 Posted by Shadowchronicle (26039 posts) -

I never use the 3D feature on my 3DS. I don't know why anyone would try to make a game that is better with the use of 3D now when they didn't do it before.

#8 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

Nobody cares about the 2 screens or the 3D. They just want the games that are on it.

#9 Posted by GhoX (5294 posts) -

3D is a gimmick. It will benefit 3DS games if no resource is allocated on the gimmick in the future.

#10 Posted by Jakandsigz (6341 posts) -

2DS is very bad advertising will either cause it to flop or the 3DS to flop (outside of japan, which there the 2DS WILL flop.)

#11 Posted by charizard1605 (61729 posts) -

There are all of three games so far that utilize 3D for gameplay, and only one that is actually impossible to 100% without 3D. I think Nintendo is just recognizing 3D for what it is, a visual gimmick, and trying to stop justifying it by integrating it in increasingly bullshit ways into game design. This is a good thing, this means they can focus again on what matters.

Also, gimme your Friend Code lol

#12 Edited by guard12 (1657 posts) -

I personally believe that the 2DS is just another quick cash in for Nintendo. But it at least looks like a cheap alternative if you want to start taking advantage of the 3DS's terrific library.

#13 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (26408 posts) -

well I play without 3D on most of the time anyway so I don't see how A Link Between 2 Worlds would be any different from any other 3DS game I play.

#14 Posted by Senor_Kami (8439 posts) -

No. Even at launch Nintendo said every game had to be playable in 2D.

Not sure why so many think it's a gimmick or useless. I think it looks cool when done right. That's like saying you can still understand the dialog and plot of movie so it makes no difference if the whole film is shot at 360p and the sound is mono. 3D isn't changing the gameplay but if it makes it look cooler, why is that a bad thing and something you guys have such a desire to rebel against.

#15 Posted by RogueStatus28 (544 posts) -

@crimsonman1245 said:

Nobody cares about the 2 screens or the 3D. They just want the games that are on it.

And nobody cares about the Vita flat-out and don't want the games on it.

#16 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (9340 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

Nah, the 2ds looks like crap, and i don't think anyone would be caught dead with one

You are completely so wrong, because I'm getting one

#17 Posted by Jakandsigz (6341 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

There are all of three games so far that utilize 3D for gameplay, and only one that is actually impossible to 100% without 3D. I think Nintendo is just recognizing 3D for what it is, a visual gimmick, and trying to stop justifying it by integrating it in increasingly bullshit ways into game design. This is a good thing, this means they can focus again on what matters.

I though you said the 3DS games were mostly great and wonderful, so i don't get your implication that the 3D focus is taking front of gameplay in your last sentence of the paragraph

#18 Posted by charizard1605 (61729 posts) -

@Jakandsigz said:

@charizard1605 said:

I though you said the 3DS games were mostly great and wonderful, so i don't get your implication that the 3D focus is taking front of gameplay in your last sentence of the paragraph

There is none, which is why you don't get it

#19 Edited by rjdofu (9171 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Well in this same article, they're trying to praise the 3D feature nonstop lol. More like they were thinking about reducing costs and cut off the 3D for the 2DS; cus it was marketed to children, and the 3D is not good for children. But then they're like "oh snap we actually may have some games that utilize the 3D function, so we need to go back and change the way we develop it". I think that's the problem they're facing right now. The 2DS can be both good and bad move depending on how important the 3D is to each person.

Regardless, in a situation like this, there will never be a proper game that can fully take advantage of the 3D functionality on the 3DS, and i think that's a shame.

PS: don't worry, you'll be the first one to get my friend code once I lay my hand on a 3DS lol, too busy for sem finals atm.