Will system Wars like Gearbox again?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by uninspiredcup (12919 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: Will system Wars like Gearbox again? (28 votes)

Yes 7%
No 68%
What? 25%

My friends. Generally, among gamers who actually know something about gaming and have been gaming beyond game of thrones season 1. Homeworld is considered a groundbreaking title. A perfect mix of cinematic story-telling and gameplay (unlike Metal Gear Solid also released at the time). Essentially amounting to the best Battlestar Galatica game that never was. Indeed originally, that is what it was suppose to be.

Since Aliens Colonial Soldiers and Duke Nuken Forever, the opinion of Gearbox has been decidedly low. Many seeing them as what is commonly called "assholes".

According to Gearbox, much work, love and attention is being put into the Homeworld Remastered titles making them not purely HD ports but completely overhauled. Also featuring the original titles into the mix.

Since it hasn't been turned into a first person shooter yet with a combination of bloom and dubstep if the package delivers and achieved a 90+ metacritic with lots of praise for bringing a classic back... will Gearbox have redeemed themselves?

#1 Posted by Krelian-co (13098 posts) -

you never get tired of making shit threads.

#2 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (10100 posts) -

I'll never forgive them the disgrace they committed on Aliens. They are as good as dead to me.

#3 Edited by R4gn4r0k (17523 posts) -

They ruined 2 franchises, Aliens and Duke Nukem, and they came close to ruining the Brothers in Arms Franchise.

I wouldn't be surprised if they outsource their 'much loved' homeworld to some third rate dev.

#6 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17523 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

They ruined 2 franchises, Aliens and Duke Nukem, and they came close to ruining the Brothers in Arms Franchise.

I wouldn't be surprised if they outsource their 'much loved' homeworld to some third rate dev.

except duke nukem always suck. duke 3d was crap anyways.

You just say that because you are a casual gamer and can't appreciate old school FPS.

#8 Posted by Animal-Mother (27137 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

I wouldn't say the ruined duke nukem. That game was destined to be shit.

#9 Posted by uninspiredcup (12919 posts) -
@Animal-Mother said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

My friend, why?

#11 Posted by uninspiredcup (12919 posts) -

Team Fortress 2 was in development limbo for almost a decade.

#13 Posted by Animal-Mother (27137 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:
@Animal-Mother said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

My friend, why?

Did you not notice the unusually long development time?
I mean is over 10 years dev time not a red alarm?

#14 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17523 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

They still decided to release it. So they don't have an excuse. They could've just cancelled it and the Duke Nukem franchise could've ended on a high note. But oh no, Gearbox needs money, so they release shit they knew fans would buy.

Not just that, but Randy Pitchford compared the quality of the game to Half Life 2.

#15 Edited by Animal-Mother (27137 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

They still decided to release it. So they don't have an excuse. They could've just cancelled it and the Duke Nukem franchise could've ended on a high note. But oh no, Gearbox needs money, so they release shit they knew fans would buy.

Not just that, but Randy Pitchford compared the quality of the game to Half Life 2.

Who wouldn't release something they spent millions of dollars on to recoup some of the loss? I'm sure they bought a turd (knew it) and just polished it.

They most likely did it for the IP they have it and they can make a more polished and new DN, none with standing they don't fuck it up.

#16 Posted by clone01 (25334 posts) -

@uninspiredcup:

He's not your friend, you tool.

#17 Posted by clone01 (25334 posts) -

@Animal-Mother:

Why are you even entertaining this clown?

#18 Posted by Boddicker (3137 posts) -

The only franchise by 2K that I've played and enjoyed the hell out of is Borderlands.

I have one request though, tailor the experience for the few of us that still enjoy to play solo. On BL2 on the hardest playthrough++ or something like that the enemies basically become regenerating bullet sponges and all fun goes out the window.

#19 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17523 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Who wouldn't release something they spent millions of dollars on to recoup some of the loss? I'm sure they bought a turd (knew it) and just polished it.

They most likely did it for the IP they have it and they can make a more polished and new DN, none with standing they don't fuck it up.

Yes, they bought the IP, and probably spent a lot of money on it. Doesn't really change the fact that they should've just canned DNF and not release it.

I don't think "oh, well, we bought shit and have to make our money back somehow" is a good enough excuse for them to try and sell DNF. I really don't.

They pulled that stunt twice by the way, with Aliens: CM too. 'Oh, well, we outsourced the game to Timegate and it turned out shit. But it's alright, we'll still sell it to get our money back somehow"

#20 Posted by Sword-Demon (7001 posts) -

I love Borderlands, but the way Gearbox conducts its business is pretty crappy.

But I don't blame them for how DNF turned out. They only had their hands on it for a few months just to get it released.

#21 Edited by organic_machine (9699 posts) -

I have never liked Gearbox. My disdain for them dated even back to their Half Life expansion days.

*puts on hipster glasses*

I hated them before it was cool

#22 Posted by Cloud_imperium (6416 posts) -

If they got upcoming games right , specially Homeworld Remastered HD , then I may start to trust them again . Frankly , Duke Nukem wasn't Gearbox fault , countless developers took part in the development and production was halted so many times .

#23 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (4114 posts) -

They gave me Borderlands but ruined Aliens... It's hard to say how I feel about them. I am a little disappointed that we have a Borderlands pre-sequel that looks like nothing more than a expansion to Borderlands 2 but I am still hoping that a PS4/X1/PC Borderlands 3 is not too long away.

#24 Posted by highking_kallor (594 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

except duke nukem always suck. duke 3d was crap anyways.

Quake man were you? I prefer duke myself.

#25 Posted by Ballroompirate (23752 posts) -

Im done buying games by them, they ruined ACM and DNF so they can suck it sideways tell the end of time.

#26 Edited by stationplay_4 (444 posts) -

no they suck now

#27 Posted by KittenNose (693 posts) -

They put Anthony Burch in charge of Borderlands, and let this video get made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i83Y21g8jOU&app=desktop

That is enough for me.

#28 Edited by remiks00 (2538 posts) -

I'm a huge fan of Borderlands, I don't hate gearbox (yet), but I remember them receiving lots of disdain about that last Aliens game.

#29 Edited by Litchie (16677 posts) -

I don't hate Gearbox. Borderlands is tons of fun. I've learned to not hype Alien games, since they usually suck for some reason (Alien: Isolation looks pretty sweet though), so Colonial Marines being shit didn't matter much to me. And Duke Nukem was already dead to me. If it was good, I'd play it, but the game being shit didn't matter much to me either..

I believe they're still capable of making good games, so I'll look forward to see what their next game will be.

#30 Posted by blangenakker (2616 posts) -

Meh, as long as there is a new Borderlands coming out people will gladly forget everything.

#31 Edited by lamprey263 (25649 posts) -

I don't plan on supporting them, not after fucking up Aliens Colonial Marines by punting the project off to TimeGate and robbing Sega of development funds, and robbing Sega of one of the licenses they contracted for on the Aliens franchise. Even if their next Borderlands or Brother In Arms games end up being totally awesome I still plan not to buy anything of theirs... and if I do break I'll be certain to buy used so no money goes to them.

I'm particularly bummed as I sat in a tiny demo room at PAX and watched Randy Pitchford give a live demonstration of the game and I was super stoked and I felt reassured the game was going to be totally awesome and worth the wait. Then what happened happened, and we learned how Gearbox really fucked it up; it saddens me.

And it really bums me out they acquired Homeworld, I loved Homeworld 2 (and yet I'm so pissed at Gearbox), buy hey nobody else was doing anything with the IP; I'm conflicted... sort of, I mean I'd probably break down and get these remastered Homeworld games if that's what they're doing, but I probably won't be able to run them on my PC anyways.

#32 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

I'm pretty sure I'll hate Gearbox until they stop being sleazy scumbags and start actually making good games. It doesn't look likely at time soon.

#33 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2733 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

Duke Nukem Forever was a disaster long before Gearbox took the helm. They simply made it functional and released it.

#34 Edited by R4gn4r0k (17523 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Duke Nukem Forever was a disaster long before Gearbox took the helm. They simply made it functional and released it.

A 'functional' product ? No, that is enough reason for a game to be released, and DNF was in fact barely functional.

Play the platforming or driving sections and tell me the game is functional.

Gearbox should've scratched the project instead of trying to make money of die-hard fans who would buy anything, they seriously damaged the reputation of Duke Nukem.

#35 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (16316 posts) -

I'm pretty indifferent to them. They could go tits up and I wouldn't really give a damn.

#36 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (10100 posts) -

I wonder if they had never taken up Duke Nukem, would it have had improved the chances of Aliens?

#37 Edited by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2733 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

A 'functional' product ? No, that is enough reason for a game to be released, and DNF was in fact barely functional.

Play the platforming or driving sections and tell me the game is functional.

Gearbox should've scratched the project instead of trying to make money of die-hard fans who would buy anything, they seriously damaged the reputation of Duke Nukem.

The game is functional in the sense that you could finish it. Dated gameplay does mean a game isn't functional. Like I said, it was a disaster, but that had nothing to do with Gearbox. The game went through like four different developers over the course of 15 years. The Duke Nukem name was dead and buried long before Duke Nukem Forever released.

#38 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17523 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

The game is functional in the sense that you could finish it. Dated gameplay does mean a game isn't functional. Like I said, it was a disaster, but that had nothing to do with Gearbox. The game went through like four different developers over the course of 15 years. The Duke Nukem name was dead and buried long before Duke Nukem Forever released.

Than why were people still looking forward to the game after 15 years of development ?

No, the franchise was not dead and buried. In fact it got a very nice re-release of Duke 3D quite recently, with modern resolution support and added multiplayer. What you are saying is just not correct.

#39 Posted by foxhound_fox (90891 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

They couldn't "ruin" Duke Nukem, it already was ruined in the hands of 3D Realms. They took what they had spent a decade and a half making, turned it into a salable product, and put it out on shelves and let people do with it what they wanted.

Aliens on the other hand was a straight up deception.

#40 Posted by foxhound_fox (90891 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

Than why were people still looking forward to the game after 15 years of development ?

No, the franchise was not dead and buried. In fact it got a very nice re-release of Duke 3D quite recently, with modern resolution support and added multiplayer. What you are saying is just not correct.

People were looking forward to it because Duke Nukem 3D was released before some of them were even born. People wanted to see Duke succeed despite the massive irrelevance in the commercial sphere.

#41 Edited by R4gn4r0k (17523 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

They couldn't "ruin" Duke Nukem, it already was ruined in the hands of 3D Realms. They took what they had spent a decade and a half making, turned it into a salable product, and put it out on shelves and let people do with it what they wanted.

Aliens on the other hand was a straight up deception.

I'm not saying 3D realms created this awesome game and Gearbox ruined it. I'm blaming Gearbox for going through with selling it anyway. They got shit, changed barely anything, and sold it.

They should've just canceled the game instead of selling that abomination.

#42 Posted by nutcrackr (12850 posts) -

Gearbox are bottom tier developers that struck it lucky with borederlands.

Randy Pitchfork is the car salesman of the industry

#43 Posted by handssss (1898 posts) -

they're a 1 trick pony. borderlands is good and everything else they make is shit.

#44 Edited by uninspiredcup (12919 posts) -

@handssss said:

they're a 1 trick pony. borderlands is good and everything else they make is shit.

My friend, be aware, Brothers In Arms Road To Hill 30 is arguably the best World War 2 single player FPS made. Likewise Opposing Force is one of the best expansion made.

#45 Edited by Flubbbs (3595 posts) -

not when Randy Pitchford is there

#46 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2733 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

I can't believe there's actually an argument happening about Duke Nukem Forever.

#47 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28518 posts) -

@Krelian-co said:

you never get tired of making shit threads.

shouldn't you feel at home in this thread?

#48 Posted by foxhound_fox (90891 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@handssss said:

My friend, be aware, Brothers In Arms Road To Hill 30 is arguably the best World War 2 single player FPS made. Likewise Opposing Force is one of the best expansion made.

I honestly put Brother In Arms above Borderlands in a heartbeat. Borderlands was just a clever combination of a generic shooter and Diablo loot generation.