Will Super Smash Bros. Save the Wii U and be big?

#1 Posted by TigerSuperman (1976 posts) -

The Wii U has seens its Mario Kart come and go. While it boosted sales it pretty much did squat to change the inevitable future of it being a complete failure.

Let's be realistic, Hyrule Warriors won't move consoles and by the time Zelda comes out (Which also does not really move consoles outside a few exceptions) it won't even matter. Other games like Mario party 10, Splatoon, etc. will need to ride on another game that is bigger to grab more of an audience because by themselves they won't do crap to help the Wii U.

That only leave, Super Smash bros. I do believe that Super Smash bros may be the best selling game on the system a la gamecube. However, Smash has been delayed, the Wii U has already suffered a bit too much, and it's coming out on both systems (Got a feeling the portable version will sell more.) But with how Mario kart 8 sold (which is usually the bigger franchise) Super Smash bros would have to pump out heavy advertising and have big promotions (Something Nintendo usually does not do, or puts limits on) to save the Wii u. Most people believe the Wii U will sell around 10-13 million life time. This is the game to change that around.

#2 Edited by farrell2k (5801 posts) -

At this point, nothing will save the WiiU. It's too late. Having great 3rd party support at launch couldn't even save it.

#3 Posted by MonsieurX (29490 posts) -

Will it be big? Yes.

Will it save the Wii U? No.

#4 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26272 posts) -

Judging by what Maximillian said about the Wii U version of the game at Comic-Con. It won't even be big on Melee fans.

#5 Posted by big_mak523 (85 posts) -

10-13 million lifetime? Who seriously thinks that? I know that Wii U is far from a success, but I'm pretty sure they could be close to 10 million by the end of the year if Smash does it's job.

#6 Edited by lamprey263 (23117 posts) -

no, not by itself, but every game helps

anyhow, these last weeks the Wii U was the best selling system behind PS4 and 3DS, I'd say it's improving

#7 Posted by ominous_titan (592 posts) -

at this point i think nintendo could release half life 3 and it wouldnt save it, which sucks i love my nintendo

#8 Posted by Lionheart08 (15338 posts) -

Doubtful. I'm not going to lie, I actually want a Wii-U and want to get one for Christmas, but at this point the only people who are going to get a Wii-U are the Nintendo Die-hards.

#9 Posted by DocSanchez (1562 posts) -

LOL. Every time Nintendo unfurls one of it's big guns people speculate it will save the wii u, it doesn't, and they move on to the next one. It's going nowhere.

#10 Posted by PapaTrop (474 posts) -

If they can get the Wii U price down to $200 brand new with a copy of Mario Kart, and then release Super Smash Bros with an awesome ad campaign, it'll be saved.

I think lots of people own Nintendos just for the local multiplayer games Nintendo offers. I think something like that would be huge for Nintendo.

#11 Posted by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -

Wii it move systems Yes

Will it much of a difference No.

#12 Posted by MBirdy88 (7662 posts) -

Doesn't need saving... has good games. abit pricey ... but the gamepad is actual a nice portable device.

I've had more fun with Mario Kart 8 than anything on Playstation Dustcollector 4 so far....

#13 Posted by nini200 (9587 posts) -

Judging by what Maximillian said about the Wii U version of the game at Comic-Con. It won't even be big on Melee fans.

Oh Thank God it's NOT like Melee. I think the speed should be a bit faster than what it looks like now but nowhere near as fast paced as Melee.

#14 Edited by Maroxad (8055 posts) -

It will not save the Wii U, but it will sell really well overtime, just like the previous smashes did. These games have legs, and sell throughout the entire console generation.

@MBirdy88 said:

Doesn't need saving... has good games. abit pricey ... but the gamepad is actual a nice portable device.

I've had more fun with Mario Kart 8 than anything on Playstation Dustcollector 4 so far....

Nintendo Network ID?

Also who do you play as?

#15 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6752 posts) -

I remember hearing Sakurai or someone state that it's faster than Brawl but slower than Melee. So we'll see.

And no, the Wii U is completely beyond saving.

#16 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6918 posts) -

Nope, the WiiU is beyond saving.

#17 Edited by SolidGame_basic (16784 posts) -
#18 Posted by Heil68 (43436 posts) -

Will it be big? Yes.

Will it save the Wii U? No.

Yup.

#19 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3467 posts) -

It'll make a big boost in sales.

#20 Posted by louisfoxton (1391 posts) -

i think they should put a turbo more in ssb4 it would draw both the melee fans in and the brawl fans in

#21 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (5297 posts) -

As everyone says. It'll be a system seller, but won't save the Wii U.

#22 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24875 posts) -

Smash Bros will be big.

But Save WiiU? LOL it's too late for that.

#23 Posted by charizard1605 (55984 posts) -

Smash Bros. will be big, it always is, just like Mario Kart is always big, and was also big on Wii U.

But just like Mario Kart 8 ultimately did not make any difference to the Wii U's overall strategy, so too will Smash Bros. make no difference to the Wii U's ultimate performance.

#24 Posted by Heirren (16516 posts) -

I think the wiiu will continue to release high quality games. But, ultimately I think in the near future there will be gamer backlash on the Xbox and ps4 in regards to unoriginal content. In this period I think gamers will become frustrated and seek out the pc format for games, which will not only play said unoriginal content, but start receiving more profound games as talent leaves big development houses.

#25 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (7189 posts) -

And here I thought we were beyond the whole "save the Wii U" thing. I figured people got beyond that idea.

So, again, nothing is going to save the Wii U. The best Nintendo is going to do is pull a Gamecube and maybe break even.

#26 Posted by Raptor_Herc (183 posts) -

Maybe if SSB4 is able to ride off of the Skylanders craze with those amiibos... but then it would still be facing the fact that the general consumer still doesn't realise that the Wii U is not just a Wii accessory. The existence of the 3DS version will not likely help its case either.

#27 Posted by yokofox33 (29359 posts) -

Like many have said, it'll be big and sell really well, but it won't really save the Wii U. I'm sure it will boost sales a tad, but nothing major.

#28 Posted by Vatusus (4425 posts) -

If MK couldnt save it, it wont be SSB who'll save it either...

#29 Posted by resevl4rlz (3272 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

If MK couldnt save it, it wont be SSB who'll save it either...

#30 Posted by dotWithShoes (4834 posts) -

The Wii U has seens its Mario Kart come and go. While it boosted sales it pretty much did squat to change the inevitable future of it being a complete failure.

Let's be realistic, Hyrule Warriors won't move consoles and by the time Zelda comes out (Which also does not really move consoles outside a few exceptions) it won't even matter. Other games like Mario party 10, Splatoon, etc. will need to ride on another game that is bigger to grab more of an audience because by themselves they won't do crap to help the Wii U.

That only leave, Super Smash bros. I do believe that Super Smash bros may be the best selling game on the system a la gamecube. However, Smash has been delayed, the Wii U has already suffered a bit too much, and it's coming out on both systems (Got a feeling the portable version will sell more.) But with how Mario kart 8 sold (which is usually the bigger franchise) Super Smash bros would have to pump out heavy advertising and have big promotions (Something Nintendo usually does not do, or puts limits on) to save the Wii u. Most people believe the Wii U will sell around 10-13 million life time. This is the game to change that around.

Smash Wii U was delayed? When?

#31 Posted by bbkkristian (14942 posts) -

What's your definition and qualifications for the Wii U being saved?

#32 Posted by sandbox3d (5113 posts) -

What exactly constitutes "saving" the Wii U? Is it a certain number of consoles sold? And if so, how many?

Just curious.

#33 Edited by PikachuDude860 (560 posts) -

Don't you guys think your underestimating the Wii U a bit? As others have said, I don't believe that Super Smash Bros. will necessarily "save" the Wii U...But I do think that it will be big.

I've said this before a million times, but it bears repeating. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U supposedly comes out November 28th. That's the rumored release date, however, I'm sure it will be out some time in November or December. (It better be)

Smash wouldn't have any bigger impact on Wii U global sales than Mario Kart 8 did IF it was being released right around NOW. But Christmas and Black Friday could be another story. That is around the time that most people buy consoles. IF Nintendo actually MARKETS Smash Bros. good enough and releases a system bundle (And maybe a price drop. Say $250.) sales *should* greatly increase. Nothing MASSIVE, but they should significantly increase.

People may buy a Wii U just for Smash Bros....Or they could buy one for Both Smash and Mario Kart. OR buy one for all of the exclusives released. Most people just may not buy one until their game comes out. One games puts them on the edge, the others pushes them over it.

The Wii U has these games that wil be out for the Christmas holiday.

• Super Smash Bros for Wii U
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Sonic Boom The Rise of Lyric
  • Bayonetta 2. (With 1 packed in)
  • Hyrule Warriors.
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.
  • Devil's Third.
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.
  • Fatal Frame 5 (Japan only)

These are all the big exclusves that have or will be released in 2014. There are other games that are on Wii U as well. Plus the older games from last year and such.

Like I said, Smash probably won't "save" the Wi U, (Whatever one means by that), but it will definitely help.

#34 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26272 posts) -

Smash Wii U was delayed? When?

The 3DS version I know was delayed, but I don't remember jack about the Wii U version being delayed.

#35 Posted by Kenny789 (10215 posts) -

It'll definitely be big but I doubt it'll "save" the Wii U.

#36 Edited by Speak_Low (935 posts) -

Of course not. SSBU and Zelda U won't sell nearly as well as MK8, and even that game hasn't helped much. And OP says Nintendo should use an aggressive marketing blitz like they did with MK8, but that expensive worldwide campaign didn't help them enough, and it even made Nintendo post terrible quarterly losses despite the increased Wii U/MK8 sales the last couple months. Big Marketing comes at a cost, and I don't think their SSBU marketing campaign will be as expensive as MK8's.

It's impossible to save the Wii U. That would mean sales from now on would be so good and lofty that third-parties come rushing back, Nintendo sees flowing profit again (have we forgotten how much they've lost these last three years, though, HMMM?), and they can ride out this entire gen with the Wii U alone, right alongside the PS4/X1. Just thinking of this scenario makes me laugh so hard.

That is not happening. The Wii U is going to be dead soon, and Nintendo won't make enough money from this console. And they sure as hell can't compete with Sony/MS in the next three years. It's over, Princess, and Nintendo had more than enough chances to try to overcome these difficulties. They are most likely working on their successor now, and Nintendo owners will probably be asking the same questions for that console when it sees hard times ("will MK9 help Nintendo Next? will SSBX help Nintendo Next? b-bu-but I think it has a chance!! You never know!!!")

As DocSanchez said above, the fact we keep going from game to game, Holiday to Holiday to ask whether the Wii U can be saved says a lot about Nintendo as a company and their inept history. Nintendo can't handle critical situations, and they can't handle competition. Good luck on that successor LMAO

#37 Posted by superbuuman (2679 posts) -

As most have said it will give it a minor boost in sale..like Mario Kart 8. That's about it. :P

#38 Posted by Litchie (16226 posts) -

It'll boost sales a little.. I don't think the Wii-U will suddenly become super popular and sell like crazy in its lifetime, and I definitely don't think Smash Bros. would be the cause if it would happen.

#39 Posted by TigerSuperman (1976 posts) -
#40 Posted by TigerSuperman (1976 posts) -
#41 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6973 posts) -

I'm not a huge Smash fan myself. I will get the game at some point, probably during a game drought next summer. I'm more excited about Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad, and Hyrule Warriors, honestly.

#42 Posted by HernandeZzzz (144 posts) -

If Mario Kart 8 didn't save it, nothing will.

Third place is all they can realistically expect, at this point. Especially with Microsoft stepping up their game.