Will Sony PS4 have free online gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Tony-Baxter (6498 posts) -
Or will they do away with it for PS plus?
#2 Posted by SecretPolice (21382 posts) -

Sure since Sony's got money to burn these dayzzz. :twisted:

I don't think so. :P

#3 Posted by RR360DD (11548 posts) -
Yeah, Im sure Sony will continue to fund a free online for everyone with all the money they have.
#4 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10564 posts) -
Hopefully. If Sony can launch the PS4 before the Next Box and have a huge marketing campaign about all the nice features Xbox doesn't have, like Free Online gaming. It can be very successful, imo.
#5 Posted by Ravensmash (13862 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]Hopefully. If Sony can launch the PS4 before the Next Box and have a huge marketing campaign about all the nice features Xbox doesn't have, like Free Online gaming. It can be very successful, imo.

They better overhaul it then.
#6 Posted by Heil68 (43273 posts) -
If not, I'll happily pay for it. The convenience, substance and great value it would surely offer would make it 1 million times worth it.
#7 Posted by kraken2109 (12984 posts) -

If they don't they'll loose a lot of sales.

#8 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10564 posts) -
[QUOTE="Ravensmash"][QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]Hopefully. If Sony can launch the PS4 before the Next Box and have a huge marketing campaign about all the nice features Xbox doesn't have, like Free Online gaming. It can be very successful, imo.

They better overhaul it then.

The Vita UI is good start.
#9 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3001 posts) -
Nope. I'm guessing they have to start charging for it.
#10 Posted by Pug-Nasty (8508 posts) -

Why charge for the online when they can adopt EA's new business model of charging people to rent servers they already have access to. Evrey game has servers you can rent. I call epic win for EA on this one, and pretty much all online game makers should take note.

#11 Posted by TecmoGirl (3965 posts) -

If not, I'll happily pay for it. The convenience, substance and great value it would surely offer would make it 1 million times worth it. Heil68

This. Just like XBL.

#12 Posted by Chris_Williams (14868 posts) -

when it comes out i'll let you know TC

#13 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -
Doubtful. They need to start making money off PSN after all these years.
#14 Posted by DireOwl (3350 posts) -

If it does, I can't wait to see cows justify it. After literally years of cows calling Micrososft the devil for charging for online, only to turn around and defend it.

#15 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

If not, I'll happily pay for it. The convenience, substance and great value it would surely offer would make it 1 million times worth it. Heil68

You're trying too hard.

#16 Posted by goblaa (19304 posts) -

Are they even losing money on free online gaming?

I know they are bleeding money, but that's due to other problems.

#17 Posted by lawlessx (46463 posts) -

If it does, I can't wait to see cows justify it. After literally years of cows calling Micrososft the devil for charging for online, only to turn around and defend it.

DireOwl
"but... bu..t the dedicated servers" :cry:
#18 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -

goblaa
Sony announced early last year they were close to breaking even off PSN. Then the hacking thing hit and we haven't heard about the profitability of PSN since.
#19 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3001 posts) -

DireOwl
Lol it's gonna be bloodbath!
#20 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10564 posts) -
[QUOTE="goblaa"]

KC_Hokie
Sony announced early last year they were close to breaking even off PSN. Then the hacking thing hit and we haven't heard about the profitability of PSN since.

Maybe Sony is too nice?
#21 Posted by Nike_Air (18298 posts) -

Not sure.

It seems as though PS+ is gaining some traction and online passes for Sony games can bring them in some extra money as well. But at the same time , I'm sure PSN will be loaded with integrated features and they could get away with charging $20-$40 per year if they really wanted to or needed to. Maybe it ultimately depends on the hardware specs and costs compared pricepoint they want to start with the PS4.

I'd happily take a beastly $400 PS4 and pay $20 per year for online gaming if they have a repeat of their dominance in the online space once again. The thing that bugs me about Live is not that they charge , but the pricepoint versus the games and services offered. It's probably worth about $15 per year for the games and party chat.

#22 Posted by Heil68 (43273 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heil68"]If not, I'll happily pay for it. The convenience, substance and great value it would surely offer would make it 1 million times worth it. Vari3ty

You're trying too hard.

Not really..I paid for Live for 4 years before I canceled it and seeing as the PS4 will be the only console I buy next gen, I'll pay if needed.
#23 Posted by santoron (7648 posts) -

Why not? Most of the Playstation's competition features free online multiplayer. It's not like they've bucked some huge trend.

#24 Posted by spiderluck (2376 posts) -

Not sure.

It seems as though PS+ is gaining some traction and online passes for Sony games can bring them in some extra money as well. But at the same time , I'm sure PSN will be loaded with integrated features and they could get away with charging $20-$40 per year if they really wanted to or needed to. Maybe it ultimately depends on the hardware specs and costs compared pricepoint they want to start with the PS4.

I'd happily take a beastly $400 PS4 and pay $20 per year for online gaming if they have a repeat of their dominance in the online space once again. The thing that bugs me about Live is not that they charge , but the pricepoint versus the games and services offered. It's probably worth about $15 per year for the games and party chat.

Nike_Air
repeat of their dominance in the online space.........are you on drugs??
#25 Posted by 2Chalupas (5001 posts) -
It would actually be risky for them to try and charge for online access when that's a big selling point they have now. If they want more subscription revenues they should look for other, more creative ways ala PSN+. They can do much more with PSN+ than they are currently doing but they don't have to touch online play. There is really no logical reason that Sony (or Microsoft for that matter) should put things like Netflix or online p2p gameplay in a premium tier, it's actually sad that Microsoft gets away with it. I actually think it's more likely that Microsoft's "pay to play" model dies by the end of next gen. XBOX Live gold = AOL, useless extra layer of "service" that needs to go away.
#26 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7249 posts) -

They better. They should just keep the same concept with PS3 and if people want exclusive stuff and deals they can just get a PS+ account.

#27 Posted by 67gt500 (4620 posts) -
I'm gonna say not a chance... they will have to follow Microsoft's model for xboxLIVE...
#28 Posted by Spartan070 (16328 posts) -

Never gripe about XBL fees again Heli :evil:

:P

#29 Posted by lamprey263 (22880 posts) -
sure, free online gaming and they'll unload trucks full of PS4 to people waiting in breadlines on Christmas
#30 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
i doubt it will have a fee.
#31 Posted by coasterguy65 (5848 posts) -

Doubtful it will stay free for the PS4. I think the only reason it stayed free this generation is because Sony was in catch up mode all generation. The free online was a major selling point for a lot of people.

I'm sure Sony was sitting there watching MS make money hand over fist off of Gold and thought about charging. If they had charged lots of people would have sold their PS3s in no time.

#32 Posted by AzatiS (7158 posts) -
If by any means Sony will charge for online like MS... Ill end up with WII-U ( assuming that wont charge!!!! ) whatever hardware it provides. High-end or low-end If by any means nintendo will charge also for internet ... Ill stick to PC gaming. Consoles games are expensive 59.99euros each? really? ( 70$$ ) DLCs on every major title ( another 19.99 ) Now pay for online too ? Gtfo...
#33 Posted by Kingpin0114 (2522 posts) -

Probably not. They need money.

#34 Posted by Heil68 (43273 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heil68"]If not, I'll happily pay for it. The convenience, substance and great value it would surely offer would make it 1 million times worth it. Spartan070

Never gripe about XBL fees again Heli :evil:

:P

#35 Posted by _SWAG_ (2574 posts) -

is this a serias question?:| it was free last gen, its free now, its free on the ps3, its free on the psp, its free on the vita, it will be free nextgen. sony knows how to do online. all these lems got brainwashed to paying to play online this gen

#36 Posted by Pug-Nasty (8508 posts) -

is this a serias question?:| it was free last gen, its free now, its free on the ps3, its free on the psp, its free on the vita, it will be free nextgen. sony knows how to do online. all these lems got brainwashed to paying to play online this gen

_SWAG_

No kidding. They are so brainwashed they keep asking if Sony will charge instead of asking if MS won't.

#37 Posted by MrJack3690 (2227 posts) -

They'll just remove it completely, problem solved. :P

#38 Posted by omho88 (3967 posts) -

I like it the way it's.

#39 Posted by DeadMan1290 (15499 posts) -

I don't think so personally. Could happen though.

#40 Posted by fadersdream (3153 posts) -

Sony said last year that they are not sure, but they are considering other options.

However PS+ has been a financial failure for them so who knows?

#41 Posted by TwoFace-BS (10395 posts) -
I hope so....main reason Im planning on getting the PS4 next gen
#42 Posted by Joedgabe (5096 posts) -

I can live w/o online if not. There's too much emphasis on online these days.. and that's only a small fraction of the game most of the time.