Will Sony ever "enable" the extra 128 cores in the PS4 in the future?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

Poll Will Sony ever "enable" the extra 128 cores in the PS4 in the future? (49 votes)

Not a fat chance! 61%
I sure hope they do! 24%
Maybe. 14%

Many of you may know that PS4 actually has 128 MORE stream processors according to the Chinese site below. Making this a full blown Pitcairn GPU. In other words instead of having 1152 stream processors it actually has 1280 stream processor, in other words a fully blown 7870 GPU. Now, from what I read that Sony hasn't fully laser cut this extra cores and are using that for redundancy. This is not a surprise as in the PC world this is done with GPU's for yield reasons. Also, sometimes when some of the stream processors can't be used they just sell at as a lower tier model instead of getting rid of the entire GPU. Or it could work the other way when the GPU might be fine but the GPU maker chooses to block some of it any way and sell it as lower tier GPU in which case you may be able to exploit it which I did to my benefit when a flashed my HD 6950 to a fully blown HD 6970 with ALL it's 1536 stream processors. :)

IMO, these extra cores are certainly for redundancy and given the history of consoles (unlike the GPU industry) I highly doubt Sony will ever enable the extra cores. (sorry to disappoint you Sony fanboys!)

But given it's not laser cut..PS4 supporters can argue that in future iterations or when the release a "slim" version of the PS4 with better yields Sony may enable some of the cores (even without informing the press about it). I am willing to bet my money that they won't because I have never heard of such a thing ever happening in the history of consoles (correct me if I am wrong).

Enabling this extra cores with it'ss 10% performance boost, will certainly benefit later PS4 adopters down the road who do buy a fully enabled PS4 where they will get better frame rates in games. This means that upcoming games that are coming out on the PS4 like Tomb Raider Definitive Edition which I believe will have TressFX will run even better on the PS4 as TressFX is demanding on the GPU.

So, what do you think?

Source below:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://news.mydrivers.com/1/282/282961.htm

(translated to you via Google translate).

PS4 APU explore: hidden 128 stream processors? !

After the succession of several major chip PS4 X-ray, microscopic observation, ChipWorks focused on the SoC processor, which is sinking AMD APU.

Sony used the radiator is enormous, but the processor itself does not install a metal roof, so you can directly see the kernel. After accurate measurement, core area of 19.0 × 18.3 = 348 square millimeters, the host is kind of a big chip, you know PS3 CPU + GPU inside but also add up 228 mm2, and the time is 40/45nm technology, now is the new 28nm.

This is a photomicrograph of the metal layer, but also what to see.

This is a plan view of a transistor-level kernel, can easily find CPU, GPU, memory controller. Eight Jaguar Jaguar CPU core is no accident, but a careful count can be found, even GPU computing units in 20 groups of 64 stream processors, then it is 1280 stream processors.

According to previous news, PS4 GPU computing unit is equipped with 18 sets, 1152 stream processors, floating point performance 1.84TFlops, between Radeon HD 7850/7870. According to this view, it seems to hide a tenth of strength, but it was unclear why the - guaranteed yield? This unit has a card or two uses?

Maybe someday PS4 will be full of 1280 stream processors, Xbox One 768 个 even more immeasurably.

Again the math area. Coupled with AMD's claims based on observation, Jaguar CPU core for each area of 3.1 mm2, with the corresponding secondary cache is 6.5 mm2, the total add up to 52 mm2, approximately 15% of the total area.

GPU core in each cell plus level cache, secondary cache area of ​​approximately 5.6 mm2, GPU with a total area of ​​about 112 mm2, representing approximately 32% of the whole kernel, while the CPU is twice as much.

Can be seen from the side of the metal layer 11 of copper , in addition to aluminum and a top layer (not shown).

Local amplification, showing that TSMC 28nm HKMG process , much like the Radeon GPU 28HP process variants.

• 
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#1 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17420 Posts

Really?

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

No they won't because those are likely for yield purposes so that the number of successful GPUs being manufactured is higher. Not all PS4's will have all 128 extra cores in a working state so unlcoking them would give benefits only to some and thus this will never be done.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

not a chance because those are for yield purposes think of them as fail safe . In some Ps4's those cores can be enabled and be functional while on others they will be defective so Sony is not gonna enable them and only some of PS4 owners will have that extra performance

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

heard this rumor before and i doubt it...

i get the no laser cut but this apu is too compact and complicated alone with just 18cu's enabled

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

@Phazevariance said:

No they won't because those are likely for yield purposes so that the number of successful GPUs being manufactured is higher. Not all PS4's will have all 128 extra cores in a working state so unlcoking them would give benefits only to some and thus this will never be done.

@adamosmaki said:

not a chance because those are for yield purposes think of them as fail safe . In some Ps4's those cores can be enabled and be functional while on others they will be defective so Sony is not gonna enable them and only some of PS4 owners will have that extra performance

Pretty much as I stated in my OP. But I bet there are still Sony fanboys out there that would love to get their hands on a PS4 with all of the cores enabled.

If I were Sony, my solution for those Sony fanboys would be to first see how many APU's can they churn out with the fully unlocked cores and specifically release a special edition Sony PS4 called the "Classified" edition with an overclocked CPU and GPU and charge like $1000 for them. Did you hear that Sony. :P

I am wiling to bet hundreds will line up to buy one and will probably pay even more if it's rare. lol.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

No.

It will cause that any PS4 that has an APU with 19 or 18 CU to fail because it doesn't have the whole 20,when you shut off 2 CU for yields is because you intent to use any chip that has 20,19 or 18 CU,so you can throw away less and produce more units,there are PS4 now that probably have 19 and 18 working CU,those machines would fail on the spot if you enable all 20 CU to run,the same happen with the xbox one,and the PS3 Cell has 8 SPE but only 7 work and 1 is off for yield and never was turn on.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

No. By unlocking those cores, you are introducing a higher chance of failure. Just look at the old AMD Tri-cores which were actually 4 core chips with a core disabled. People got mixed results when they tried to unlock that 4th core. Some were able to get a fully functioning 4 core while others actually killed their chips.

Its the silicon lottery my friend.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Xtasy26

@clyde46 said:

No. By unlocking those cores, you are introducing a higher chance of failure. Just look at the old AMD Tri-cores which were actually 4 core chips with a core disabled. People got mixed results when they tried to unlock that 4th core. Some were able to get a fully functioning 4 core while others actually killed their chips.

Yeah, true. But later down the road when the yields are excellent, if I were Sony I would try to enable all the CU and see how many are functional and sell those with "Special Edition" PS4 at ridiculously marked up price. (You know people will buy them)

Can you imagine the mental orgasm that Sony fanboys will experience on top of their superior hardware over Xbox One? lol.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60702 Posts

SONY knows what's best for us, after all they are driven by the by gamers for gamers mantra all the while practicing the Live, Learn and Love lifestyle.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Xtasy26

@tormentos said:

No.

It will cause that any PS4 that has an APU with 19 or 18 CU to fail because it doesn't have the whole 20,when you shut off 2 CU for yields is because you intent to use any chip that has 20,19 or 18 CU,so you can throw away less and produce more units,there are PS4 now that probably have 19 and 18 working CU,those machines would fail on the spot if you enable all 20 CU to run,the same happen with the xbox one,and the PS3 Cell has 8 SPE but only 7 work and 1 is off for yield and never was turn on.

Not, sure if I follow. Are we talking about PS4's that are already out their that have 18 CU that are in gamer's hand to "fail" or are we talking about any APU's that are coming out of "fabs" with all the APU's enable to have the entire APU fail with all the units enabled if one were to enable the extra 2 CU's. Because the latter wouldn't make any sense.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@Xtasy26 said:

@clyde46 said:

Yeah, true. But later down the road when the yields are excellent, if I were Sony I would try to enable all the CU and see how many are functional and sell those with "Special Edition" PS4 at ridiculously marked up price. (You know people will buy them)

Can you imagine the mental orgasm that Sony fanboys will experience on top of their superior hardware over Xbox One? lol.

By having more powerful units on the market, you begin to introduce fragments in the user base. The one benefit consoles have over PC's is the universal hardware makeup. Every PS4 out there in the wild is exactly the same, by introducing these "Uber" units you have some units that are capable of more.

xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts

@Xtasy26 said:

@clyde46 said:

does being a fanboy get you off or something? Like seriously what is wrong with you that you create a topic and repeat this statement?

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Highly unlikely due to the risk of mass bricking.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

LOL

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

Never because:

A small percentage of ps4 have all the 20CU functional (if unlock)

A good chunk with have 19CU functional (if unlock)

and the rest already have 18CU functional.

the same is true for most GPU's .(console's , PC's, etc)

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

@Xtasy26 said:

@tormentos said:

No.

Not, sure if I follow. Are we talking about PS4's that are already out their that have 18 CU that are in gamer's hand to "fail" or are we talking about any APU's that are coming out of "fabs" with all the APU's enable to have the entire APU fail with all the units enabled if one were to enable the extra 2 CU's. Because the latter wouldn't make any sense.

They wil never release a new model with unlocked cores either. This is because develoeprs will make their games for the current specs so that all sp4's can play all games made, and thus any changes in ahrdware would never be reflected in their programming. It never happened last gena dn it won't happen this gen either. This is the very reason why the 360 struggled last gen when it came to usign hard drives for game textures. They couldn't because the arcade models at the beginning had no hard drive at all, and games had to work with all sold units on the market.

AppleBeatsPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#17 AppleBeatsPC
Member since 2013 • 148 Posts

Perhaps they will, but I think it's irrelevant. Unless Sony can develop a Cell 2 processor to compete with the Xbox One, I fear PS4 may die a early death. Sony has done a good job to revitalize their brand, but they're probably too late as Xbox One has been blowing the competition out of the water.

If Sony chooses to unleash the full power of the PS4, it could potentially help developers, but it could also be the final nail in the Sony coffin if it doesn't save the PS4 because it will be Sonys last ditch effort.

MrXboxOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MrXboxOne
Member since 2013 • 799 Posts

@tormentos said:

No.

LOL PS4 is so weak, No wonder Ryse is voted next gen Graphics King.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

Doesn't need to. Ps4 is already ahead of xbone

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tormentos

@Xtasy26 said:

@clyde46 said:

Yeah and that will kill all old systems wit less than 20 working CU,biggest example of this is Cell,it has 8 SPE only 7 work and sony never enable the 8th one for the same reason.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tormentos
@mrxboxone said:

@tormentos said:

No.

LOL PS4 is so weak, No wonder Ryse is voted next gen Graphics King.

You need more effort and been less obvious.hahahaha

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

There is a lot of LOL'ling in here. I will join you.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Xtasy26

@xxgunslingerxx said:

@Xtasy26 said:

@clyde46 said:

does being a fanboy get you off or something? Like seriously what is wrong with you that you create a topic and repeat this statement?

I was merely making a statement. So, are you saying Sony fanboys will not be happy if the got some sort of a "Uber" PS4 with all the CU's enabled. They are already extremely happy that it's better than the Xbox One spec wise.

And I am PC Gamer, I don't either have a PS4 or the Xbox One.

@MK-Professor said:

Never because:

A small percentage of ps4 have all the 20CU functional (if unlock)

A good chunk with have 19CU functional (if unlock)

and the rest already have 18CU functional.

the same is true for most GPU's .(console's , PC's, etc)

If in fact what you say is true that in fact small fraction of the PS4 have all 20 CU's functional, I wonder how the performance would be compared to regular PS4's if at all. That would be an interesting experiment.

xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts

@Xtasy26 said:

@xxgunslingerxx said:

@Xtasy26 said:

@clyde46 said:

I was merely making a statement. So, are you saying Sony fanboys will not be happy if the got some sort of a "Uber" PS4 with all the CU's enabled. They are already extremely happy that it's better than the Xbox One spec wise.

And I am PC Gamer, I don't either have a PS4 or the Xbox One.

have all 20 CU's functional, I wonder how the performance would be compared to regular PS4's if at all. That would be an interesting experiment.

so if I made a thread saying "wow valve could potentially give away every half life 3 for free.... can you imagine how hard pc fanboys will cream themselves "

then in each reply i make in the thread i say something... jeez can you imagine the pc gamers crying so hard cause valve probably wont give away half life 3 for free

is that just making a statement? cause that is what you are doing

you are making a trolling statement on a "fact" that doesn't exist/you made up and you consistently repeat it even though no one is even suggesting it as a real possibility... if that is not getting off on your own twisted imagination i don't know what is... i suggest you look at porn to get off instead Im sure your pc can handle a 1080p dual monitor stream no problem

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

The Xbox one has the exact same thing and no, the probably won't.

The ps4 has 20 CUs and uses 18 of them. The xbox one 14 and uses 12. They do this so they can f*** up 2 of them and still sell the chip. Hackers might figure out a way to turn them on, but Sony and Microsoft never will because there are many consoles which wouldn't work that way.

btk2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 btk2k2
Member since 2003 • 440 Posts

No.

1) The extra cores are there to help maximise the yield, just like the disabled SPE in the Cell processor, the extra 2 CU's in the Xbox 1 Chip and the additional ESRAM in the Xbox 1 Chip.

2) Having PS4s with different performance characteristics would a) screw the devs over and b) defeat the point of a console in the first place.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

They don't need to. PS4 is the most powerful console, they don't have to do anything lol.