Will someone please define what a game made for "hardcore" gamers is?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts
I have heard all this ridiculous talk of how this game is for hardcore gamers but this one is for casuals, as if the other game had so much more depth and originality to it. I heard some guy on here a few minutes ago try to justify GOW3 as a game for the hardcore, while Gears2 was for casuals. Is this hardcore/casual distinction just an arbitrary labeling system for the gaming elitists who think they are so much better then everyone else who enjoys gaming. I just don't understand their logic, will someone pleaseclarify.
Oroin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Oroin
Member since 2006 • 3041 Posts
I hate the term hardcore or casual... I see it as a term for people insecure about their choices (fanboys) in game so to bash other games they hate (casual) and praise the game they like (hardcore) me I describe myself a -dedicated- gamer. play what I want on any system I want.
ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 ONLYDOD
Member since 2006 • 6026 Posts
Hardcore gamers only enjoy games with shooting, violence, explosions, blood and car crashes. They're HC because they play games a casual can't handle 8)
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#4 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
A hardcore game is one with a certain level of depth and complexity. Casual games are generally very simple and don't last too long
WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#5 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts

Hardcore gamer - There is currently no unanimously agreed upon definition for the term (see Usage of the Term).

Wikipedia once again is the answer to any question.

OmegaTau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 OmegaTau
Member since 2007 • 908 Posts

ME

HERE WHY

been playing games since the nes when i was 4 years old (mario,duck hunt and tecmo bowl):)

Owned 3 systems ever gen except for snes generation after that when ps1 came out i owned 2 or 3 consoles

and handhelds

gameboy

gamegear

advance sp(nintendo)

ds

psp

nes

snes

ps1

n64

dreamcast

ps2

cube

xbox

wii

xbox360

ps3

games i touch are cult classics and most likely not mainstream friendly want see wii loving grandmas playing this games

from Mario to final fantasy to metal gear to tekken to SF to ico to GT to GTA etc.....

i have played ever genre expect music based like rock band or GH(cough i play a real guitar)

sports(madden, nba 2k and mlb 2k)

racing(GT,need for speed, pg...);

fighting(SF,tekken, VR, Doa)

rpg(FF, dragon quest, breath of fire);

baldur's gate, morrowind, kotr, mass effect

mmo(ff 11 and wow)

rts (C&C when it came out for ps1 in the 90s) medieval/rome total war and civilization on pc

action/shooter(RE to GOW)

adventure(zelda to shadow of colossus)

i even play games that i really dont like but still played it

halo1 halo 2 and halo 3 just to say i played it and make the hate i express from it even sweeter

I have spend over $5,000-6,000 estimate from my life time on video games adding all the games that my parents bought me when i was a kid from now since im in my 20's I can open a gamestop with just all my games I have and systems it would be a 1 time only gamestop store but it would least be partialy full with games.

basicly to me a hardcore gamer is me if someone can have deep conversation on the plot and meaning of the story of final fantasy tactics and then turn around and whoop friends in a madden tournament and then play wow all nite and run kara(instance) and going to school as a computer sci major just to get a chance to at least develop 1 game in my life time

thats a hardcore gamer all i know is games my from of entertainment but i also view as a art from and a way to express your thoughts and story and thats its just interactive

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

Hardcore gamer - There is currently no unanimously agreed upon definition for the term (see Usage of the Term).

Wikipedia once again is the answer to any question.

WAIW

Gotta love Wiki.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#8 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

A hardcore game is one with a certain level of depth and complexity. Casual games are generally very simple and don't last too longBuryMe

Well put. That's should be an accepted interpretation.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts
I didn't ask what a hardcore/casual gamER was but what constitutes a hardcore game versus a casual one.
OmegaTau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 OmegaTau

so basically a hardcore gamer will play anything

casuals only play 1 type

but a hardcore will play a casual game

heck i consider animal crossing for the hardcore audience more then casuals because casuals have not patients for it.

i'll list what i think and then place and H for hardcore and C for casual not saying the game is casual but who will play it becuase hardcore will play a casual game just casual will not play a hardcore game.

wii sports H/C

animal crossing H

buzz H/C

gears H

star dust hd H/C

warhawk H

sims H/C

C&C H

madden H/C

zelda H

see are the games that we call casual really casual or just the games we call hardcore casuals dont play and a hardcore gamer really is the the one that will play all games so casuals gamers basically suck. Because the trend is now make games that casuals will play and enjoy because its easy and hardcore gamers will suck up and play it because its in are dna to play all sorts of games because where hardcore gamers

we love games

casuals just want to past time those are the same ones that would go to the movies just to go or watch American idol because its mainstream and right now its mainstream to past time with video games.

as Hardcore were more intimate (not to sound strange)with games we use it to escape and appreciate the art of gaming to be the best to get the highscore to master everthing the game as to offer not playing it becuase where waiting on are girlfriend to get ready to go to a movie we call spending time with are girlfriend while she watching us play mgs4 thats hardcore same reason that's why we all argue over which company we aligned are self with if your the fanboyish type of gamer that's hardcore.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

I have heard all this ridiculous talk of how this game is for hardcore gamers but this one is for casuals, as if the other game had so much more depth and originality to it. I heard some guy on here a few minutes ago try to justify GOW3 as a game for the hardcore, while Gears2 was for casuals. Is this hardcore/casual distinction just an arbitrary labeling system for the gaming elitists who think they are so much better then everyone else who enjoys gaming. I just don't understand their logic, will someone pleaseclarify.Shenmue_Jehuty

A hardcore game is a game patterned after cheesy 1980s action movies.

Oroin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Oroin

casuals only play 1 type

heck i consider animal crossing for the hardcore audience more then casuals because casuals have not patients for it.

OmegaTau

:PSo you have a oxymoron. hardcore players plays anything including casual so does that make hardcore casual??:question:

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mjarantilla

casuals only play 1 type

OmegaTau

Thhe opposite is true, actually.

Hardcore gamers will NEVER play casual games, but casual gamers and non-gamers are completely open to playing all types of games.

deleted_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deleted_basic
Member since 2002 • 1646 Posts
frequency and variety as in they play more often than most, and they do not discriminate on the genre, platform, or interface of the games they play
jlh47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jlh47
Member since 2007 • 3326 Posts

ME

HERE WHY

been playing games since the nes when i was 4 years old (mario,duck hunt and tecmo bowl):)

Owned 3 systems ever gen except for snes generation after that when ps1 came out i owned 2 or 3 consoles

and handhelds

gameboy

gamegear

advance sp(nintendo)

ds

psp

nes

snes

ps1

n64

dreamcast

ps2

cube

xbox

wii

xbox360

ps3

games i touch are cult classics and most likely not mainstream friendly want see wii loving grandmas playing this games

from Mario to final fantasy to metal gear to tekken to SF to ico to GT to GTA etc.....

i have played ever genre expect music based like rock band or GH(cough i play a real guitar)

sports(madden, nba 2k and mlb 2k)

racing(GT,need for speed, pg...);

fighting(SF,tekken, VR, Doa)

rpg(FF, dragon quest, breath of fire);

baldur's gate, morrowind, kotr, mass effect

mmo(ff 11 and wow)

rts (C&C when it came out for ps1 in the 90s) medieval/rome total war and civilization on pc

action/shooter(RE to GOW)

adventure(zelda to shadow of colossus)

i even play games that i really dont like but still played it

halo1 halo 2 and halo 3 just to say i played it and make the hate i express from it even sweeter

I have spend over $5,000-6,000 estimate from my life time on video games adding all the games that my parents bought me when i was a kid from now since im in my 20's I can open a gamestop with just all my games I have and systems it would be a 1 time only gamestop store but it would least be partialy full with games.

basicly to me a hardcore gamer is me if someone can have deep conversation on the plot and meaning of the story of final fantasy tactics and then turn around and whoop friends in a madden tournament and then play wow all nite and run kara(instance) and going to school as a computer sci major just to get a chance to at least develop 1 game in my life time

thats a hardcore gamer all i know is games my from of entertainment but i also view as a art from and a way to express your thoughts and story and thats its just interactive

OmegaTau

what he said. except i'm not as hardcore.

Wae416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 Wae416
Member since 2007 • 803 Posts

True hardcore gamer=nerd.

Hardcore gamer= geek

Gamer= Normal

That is how it goes down.

Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Stonin
Member since 2006 • 3021 Posts

To me a hardcore game has always meant one that requires a great deal of practice and skill to perfect.

Wii Sports is not harcore because a chimp could master it in under half an hour.

Guitar Hero / Rock Band can be played casually but are actually hardcore games on expert difficulty.

Street Fighter would be hardcore.

Singstar would be casual.

See where i'm going with this?

Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Stonin

Hardcore gamer= geek

Gamer= Normal

Wae416

Define 'normal' please. If it comes with that level of arrogance i'll steer clear thanks.

Oroin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Oroin

Hardcore gamer= geek

Gamer= Normal

Wae416

Why you have to hurt?? :cry:

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

According to system wars:

Casual = Primary colors.

Hardcore = Shades of brown and gray.

hamstergeddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hamstergeddon
Member since 2006 • 7188 Posts
There is no hardcore game. There may be games that are played hardcore, but no actual hardcore games
dexter111344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dexter111344
Member since 2005 • 1578 Posts

It's the one that is about trading fish for potatos. I call it, "Damn! Bartering is Fun!"*

*Note: Not an actual game, but it would be AWESOME!!!

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 too_much_eslim
Member since 2006 • 10727 Posts
Isn't is Animal Crossing and GTA DS.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts
"hardcore" is a marketing term created so that when you buy a game somehow that makes you "better" then everyone else and so you end up spending money on nothing more then an illusion
Wae416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25 Wae416
Member since 2007 • 803 Posts
[QUOTE="Wae416"]

Hardcore gamer= geek

Gamer= Normal

Stonin

Define 'normal' please. If it comes with that level of arrogance i'll steer clear thanks.

lol, it was a joke.

I don't really mean it. I kind of wanted to see how people reacted.

RuprechtMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RuprechtMonkey
Member since 2008 • 1509 Posts

Lionheart08

LOL!

Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Stonin

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"][/QUOTE]RuprechtMonkey

LOL!

Oroin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Oroin

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]RuprechtMonkey

LOL!

Man I hate that gif. keeps giving me a headache.. and I know it's not going to end.:cry:

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#29 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
Well to the big 3 hardcore games are like Gears, Halo 3, Resistance, CoD4 etc. To the real world where hardcore means "omg we're probably going to go broke because this game won't sell more than 300k" games like Okami, Siren, The Witcher, Eternal Sonata etc. are hardcore.
PullTheTricker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PullTheTricker
Member since 2006 • 4749 Posts

Hardcore gamers only enjoy games with shooting, violence, explosions, blood and car crashes. They're HC because they play games a casual can't handle 8)ONLYDOD

Strategy games are hardcore. And so can be many more genres. Stop generalising, and don't post when you obviously don't know the real definition for hardcore gamer.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mjarantilla

[QUOTE="ONLYDOD"]Hardcore gamers only enjoy games with shooting, violence, explosions, blood and car crashes. They're HC because they play games a casual can't handle 8)PullTheTricker

Strategy games are hardcore. And so can be many more genres. Stop generalising, and don't post when you obviously don't know the real definition for hardcore gamer.

PC hardcore =/= console hardcore.

ThugKing6669

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ThugKing6669
Member since 2008 • 725 Posts

Pretty much anything that isn't on the Wii and is hardcore.

Seriously though, Casual games are more like the ones on the Wii. They are easy to pick up, generally shorter games. These consist usually of parlor type games, or minigames. Also depending on a games difficulty level, if it is a easy game than it is considered to be casual. These types of games are usually aimed at non-gamers in an attempt to attract them to gaming.

Hardcore games are games that generally have a slight to large learning curve, will last you more than one playthrough, and range from a variety of game types from RPGs to FPSs and everything in between. Hardcore games are generally more difficult than casual type games. An example of a extremely hardcore game is Ninja Gaiden II for the Xbox 360. These games are aimed at gamer's.

I prefer hardcore games, you get more value for your buck with them.

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#33 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

As I see it, there are three types of games:

Casual games - Games that your mom would play. For example: Internet flash games and most of the popular stuff on Wii, Singstar and that sort of stuff. In short: Simple games with repetitive gameplay that are marketed to "non-gamers."

Mainstream games - Games that you can hear your typical teenager talking about. For example: Halo, Counter Strike. They are more complex than casual games, but not nearly as complex as Hardcore games.

Hardcore games - Games that are very complex, usually hard to get into and aimed to a certain dedicated fanbase, aka Cult games. For example: Deus Ex, Fallout (-3), Thief. These games are usually referred to as classics by the gaming community, and are often played many years after release, whereas mainstream games are replaced by more popular ones. These kind of games are often played exclusively by "Hardcore gamers", and often are ignored by the mainstream and have moderately poor sales.

What is a hardcore gamer then? Well, simply, hardcore gamer is a gamer that meets one, or usually more of these traits:

- Has been gaming for a long time.

- Has a large game collection.

- Playes games more than average hours per week.

- Enjoyes discussing about games on his free time.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Every game made is for "hardcore" gamers. They have highly varied tastes and usually like games from multiple genres and eras.
OmegaTau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 OmegaTau
[QUOTE="OmegaTau"]

casuals only play 1 type

Oroin

:PSo you have a oxymoron. hardcore players plays anything including casual so does that make hardcore casual??:question:

see its not a oxymoron its just we need to define it better a game is a game its not hardcore or casual game becuase i view games as an art i appolize that some might not get what im trying to say since im viewing it from a tech side both games needed programmers and 3d enginers to create the game.

so we have hardcore gamers and casuals but not hardcore game and casual game just video games and diffrent geners as in fighting...shooters etc

becuase i know some casuals play halo and some hardcore gamers that dont play it so by def halo is for casuals as well hardcore. becuase its just a game just like wii sports is

so hardcore and casual should only be defined by the person not the game the person is playing

this how i see it

hardcore = hobbie, part of there life, my life rocks becuase im doing what i love to do play "games"

girlfriend gets no attention from you when the new hit game comes out

"man I need to play mgs again get to unlock the bandanna"

casual = to past time, bored and need to be entertained untill something better comes up from me to do, . waiting around unitl girlfriends gives you "attention" and you know what i mean.

boss got on my last nerve need to play something to get my mind off it "so i play my little brothers wii sports it was easy"

hardcore = cant let my bro be the only on to bowl a 300 i guess I play wiisports/bowling

casual = whats a metal gear

get my point

Oroin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Oroin
[QUOTE="Oroin"][QUOTE="OmegaTau"]

casuals only play 1 type

OmegaTau

get my point

I get what your saying.. Sorry but it's just the way you first stated it in your first post.. Casuals play one game but Hardcore play casual games.. that's what I meant, that statement kinda cancels each other out in a way. That's all.

OmegaTau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 OmegaTau
[QUOTE="OmegaTau"]

casuals only play 1 type

mjarantilla

Thhe opposite is true, actually.

Hardcore gamers will NEVER play casual games, but casual gamers and non-gamers are completely open to playing all types of games.

naw i pretty hardcore because i play all games did you see my list that i posted true hardcore gamers have list like those

tonyleo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tonyleo01
Member since 2004 • 2255 Posts
hardcore game is when you have to hold the controller up to your mouth and move your head up and down like you're playing saxophone... now that's hardcore...
chazasul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#39 chazasul
Member since 2003 • 3852 Posts

A hardcore game is one with a certain level of depth and complexity. Casual games are generally very simple and don't last too longBuryMe

Yep. That's certainly how I have been using it.

Remember, there are also games that cater to both.

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts

its easy to tell.

spore, resistance 2, gears 2, Banjo 3, etc are hardcore games.

wii music, wii fit, viva pinata, etc are casual games.

OmegaTau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 OmegaTau
[QUOTE="OmegaTau"][QUOTE="Oroin"][QUOTE="OmegaTau"]

casuals only play 1 type

Oroin

get my point

I get what your saying.. Sorry but it's just the way you first stated it in your first post.. Casuals play one game but Hardcore play casual games.. that's what I meant, that statement kinda cancels each other out in a way. That's all.

yeah I see what your saying its just there other gamers like me that live and breath games but would be considered casual becuase some hardcore gamers think hadcore gamers dont play casual focused games but i think we just need to get rid of hardcore game and the casual game and just focuse on the hardcore gamer and the casual gamer so like with the wii since they want that casual money they focused on games that only casuals would play and thats hurting the hardcore gamer. to hardcoregamer a game like wii resort is a appetizer and gears of war is a full course meal both games would be played like both the appetizer and main course would be eaten at the dinner table while the pretty model(casual) wants to stay fit and only eat the appetizer the main course to fating for her

Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts

Hardcore games require lots of work, skill and patience for rewards

Casual games give rewards and victories for minimal effort.

Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts
Except for Guitar Hero
PullTheTricker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PullTheTricker
Member since 2006 • 4749 Posts

As I see it, there are three types of games:

Casual games - Games that your mom would play. For example: Internet flash games and most of the popular stuff on Wii, Singstar and that sort of stuff. In short: Simple games with repetitive gameplay that are marketed to "non-gamers."

Mainstream games - Games that you can hear your typical teenager talking about. For example: Halo, Counter Strike. They are more complex than casual games, but not nearly as complex as Hardcore games.

Hardcore games - Games that are very complex, usually hard to get into and aimed to a certain dedicated fanbase, aka Cult games. For example: Deus Ex, Fallout (-3), Thief. These games are usually referred to as classics by the gaming community, and are often played many years after release, whereas mainstream games are replaced by more popular ones. These kind of games are often played exclusively by "Hardcore gamers", and often are ignored by the mainstream and have moderately poor sales.

What is a hardcore gamer then? Well, simply, hardcore gamer is a gamer that meets one, or usually more of these traits:

- Has been gaming for a long time.

- Has a large game collection.

- Playes games more than average hours per week.

- Enjoyes discussing about games on his free time.

HenriH-42

This.

PS: Nice signature. Civilization, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, System Shock, Deus Ex, Elder Scrolls Morrowind and excellent games.