commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

It seems that microsoft took the gloves off. The end phrase in scorpio's advertisement 'it's a monster'. is no joke

They clearly mentioned that it would be the strongest console and when you look at the specs, it does seem a monster as well. A 6tf (terraflop) gpu. which is comparable to the nvidia titan x (the strongest gpu available up until a couple of monts ago). The specs for sony's new console could be similar though, if they sport the new polaris architecture from amd. Allthough most reports claim that it would be a 4 tf gpu.

But, even if the gpu also packs 6 tflops in the ps4 neo, there still that little thing called the cpu and the ps4 neo would be running the same cpu as the ps4, only at a higher clock speed of 2.1 ghz (instead of 1.6ghz).

That the ps4 neo is running the same cpu as the ps4 seems understandable , since it wants to ensure compatibility with ps4 games, or at least a pretty straightforward porting system, where only graphics are improved.

Now microsoft doesn't have that problem, since the xbox is running windows 10 and windows has a history of being able to run games on different platforms. A walk in the park for microsoft but not for sony, which means the scorpio could be packing a hell of a cpu and we've all seen what kind of differences that can make this gen.

Heck if the neo only packs a 4 tf gpu, we're going to see bigger differences between the xboxone at launch (which was gimped because of lacking esram tools and reserved resources for the kinect) and the ps4.

Sony hasn't been able to deliver much this gen as well. A lot of games were simply postponed because of microsofts timed exclusive deals, or simply because sony's devs are taking their sweet time with the development of new games. Not that the xbox delivered that much either, while having a lot of timed exclusive deals, the xbox exclusive games weren't as impressive as some of the ps4 exclusives.

Still, the extra power in the ps4 wasn't always a smooth ride, the cpu bottleneck has been proven an eyesore in the 1080p policy, sometimes resulting in lower framerates than games on the weaker xboxone and this mostly in games that were already flirting with the 30 fps minimum. Patches did fix a lot of issues, but again, devs took their sweet time.

Of course sony does retain their quality exclusives , but I doubt that was the reason a lot of x360 owners jumped ship. It seems that a whole new war is just around the corner.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Sony will probably fast track another design or PS5 will be out in 2018.

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

No

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

Ummm no. Its gonna be a Terror Flop.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

It's going to be expensive, so NO.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

Sony is too far ahead to even worry about that. I think more Xbox One/S/Scorpio will be sold but they not going to catch up on the PS4.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@commander:

http://vrworld.com/2016/05/11/amd-confirms-sony-playstation-neo-based-zen-polaris/

NEO has AMD ZEN Lite LP.

http://www.techpowerup.com/223385/microsoft-xbox-scorpio-soc-powered-by-polaris-and-zen

Scorpio has AMD ZEN.

Fallout 4 VR and Oculus Rift is a dead give away for GPU and CPU requirements.

AMD ZEN is a super-set of AMD Jaguar i.e. AMD-V(virtual machine extensions), Intel AVX, AMD64(aka X86-64) instruction set. AMD ZEN has AVX v2 support.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@flyincloud1116 said:

It's going to be expensive, so NO.

The chip size is not large i.e. smaller than XBO and PS4.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@ronvalencia: Yeah, chip size is the only determining factor. Oh boy...

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

I would hope Sony doesn't follow this and continue on with the ps4 as is, let ms waste money while Sony work on a world beating powerhouse PS5.

I don't understand why any of the makers would risk splitting and alienating their user Base.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

It got sony so shook they had to go back to the drawing board and delay the Neo

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Scorpio + Xbox Won + Win10 = Sony Doooomed, do the math. :P

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

Whether you are team PS4 or team Xbox One. We aren't even 3 years into the PS4 or Xbox One. It feels completely disingenuous to be releasing "new hardware" at this point. This is not "PS4 slim" or "Xbox One slim". This is all new hardware which should have had these capabilities int he very beginning and I think it's obvious that unless you own a 4K TV, there is NO POINT to buy the new console.

If they sell it at too great a cost for themselves, they're gonna have to step up their game in terms of exclusive offerings to make up for it. If they sell it at too high a price, and the PS Neo sells for less, we're going to have a repeat performance of what's already happening right now. However, it might have some appeal to people who aren't looking to use it as an Xbox if instead they can use it as a powerful, inexpensive PC, or something.

Now to answer you're question, Will scorpio turn the tide in the console wars? The answer is simply NO, as I stated above why it WON'T turn the tide.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By commander
@ronvalencia said:

@commander:

http://vrworld.com/2016/05/11/amd-confirms-sony-playstation-neo-based-zen-polaris/

NEO has AMD ZEN Lite LP.

http://www.techpowerup.com/223385/microsoft-xbox-scorpio-soc-powered-by-polaris-and-zen

Scorpio has AMD ZEN.

Fallout 4 VR and Oculus Rift is a dead give away for GPU and CPU requirements.

AMD ZEN is a super-set of AMD Jaguar i.e. AMD-V(virtual machine extensions), Intel AVX, AMD64(aka X86-64) instruction set. AMD ZEN has AVX v2 support.

wow a combined compute performance of 10 tflops, lol

so the scorpio will be a lot more powerfull than the neo (a lot more than I initially thought) but it's probably going to be a lot more expensive as well.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#17 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

Not even close

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-642321fb121ca

$600 is being touted, small sales.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

If it's $600 I wouldn't expect small sales, not for what it is, you have to view the perceived value/benefit of the hardware itself which at a price like that would greatly exceed the cost.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Probably not, but it can't hurt.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By commander

@dynamitecop said:
@Random_Matt said:

If it's $600 I wouldn't expect small sales, not for what it is, you have to view the perceived value/benefit of the hardware itself which at a price like that would greatly exceed the cost.

600$ is steep though, this wouldn't be day one buy for me. Max I would spend is 400-450 I guess, all depends what games it packs of course.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dynamitecop

@commander said:
@dynamitecop said:
@Random_Matt said:

600$ is steep though, this wouldn't not be day one buy for me. Max I would spend is 400 i guess, all depends what games it packs of course.

$600 is steep as compared to what? It's a 6 Teraflop console, I don't know what you would be expecting here, this isn't a charity.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Power has never decided which console sells the most. It is a bonus that PS4 is currently more powerful but the games are why its winning.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

@dynamitecop said:
@commander said:
@dynamitecop said:
@Random_Matt said:

600$ is steep though, this wouldn't not be day one buy for me. Max I would spend is 400 i guess, all depends what games it packs of course.

$600 is steep as compared to what? It's a 6 Teraflop console, I don't know what you would be expecting here, this isn't a charity.

Unless they screw things up like the X1; no chance in hell they do that again and with 100% X1 BC and everything play anywhere and PC cross play....... Day mutha chuckin One baby, Day One.

Bring on that Scorpio StormCloud Crackdown 3, mah body's ready. :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-642321fb121ca

@dynamitecop said:
@Random_Matt said:

Er, yes. 4K is no where near mainstream.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dynamitecop

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Power has never decided which console sells the most. It is a bonus that PS4 is currently more powerful but the games are why its winning.

It doesn't hurt though, 99% of the fickle arguments around here have been about graphics and performance, don't fool yourself into thinking that this suddenly isn't important because in terms of both of those Sony is going to be lower on the totem pole.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dynamitecop

@Random_Matt said:
@dynamitecop said:
@Random_Matt said:

Er, yes. 4K is no where near mainstream.

4K TV's are retailing for the same or less than their 1080p counter-parts were this time three years ago, they're becoming very mainstream, people are simply waiting for viable content, and it's just starting to come out, by the end of 2017 it will be absolutely mainstream, and a 4K game console will push it even further.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Get ready for RRoD v2. I don't see how they can put that much power in a console without producing a lot of heat. the GPU alone must be approaching 150watts or more then you have the CPU cores, probably gonna be a 200watt+ machine with no new process changes for a long time. you think the 28nm process dragged on for too long, you ain't seen nothing yet.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dynamitecop

@ten_pints said:

Get ready for RRoD v2. I don't see how they can put that much power in a console without producing a lot of heat. the GPU alone must be approaching 150watts or more then you have the CPU cores, probably gonna be a 200watt+ machine with no new process changes for a long time. you think the 28nm process dragged on for too long, you ain't seen nothing yet.

It's going to be 14nm, twice the output capability per watt, it will run cool and be able to be contained in a relatively small space.

I wouldn't expect it to be larger than the current Xbox One.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 commander

@dynamitecop said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

It doesn't hurt though, 99% of the fickle arguments around here have been about graphics and performance, don't fool yourself into thinking that this suddenly isn't important because in terms of both of those Sony is going to be lower on the totem pole.

yeah power has always been a major factor.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts
@dynamitecop said:
@ten_pints said:

It's going to be 14nm, twice the output capability per watt, it will run cool and be able to be contained in a relatively small space.

How do you figure that? the new RX480 this is probably based on is just under 150watt, and the one in the Xbox is higher power, I'd also expect the CPU to be roughly on par with what we have now TDP wise because they are gonna need double the power to feed the GPU and memory. You don't get 5x power increase for free even if the architecture and process is roughly 2 and a bit times more efficient.

This is gonna be somewhere approaching double the TDP of the Xbox One which was where the original Xbox 360 and PS3 was at. Not impossible but I'm shocked they want to roll that dice again.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@commander said:
@dynamitecop said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

yeah power has always been a major factor.

PS1, PS2 and Wii say hi.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dynamitecop

@ten_pints said:
@dynamitecop said:
@ten_pints said:

How do you figure that? the new RX480 this is probably based on is just under 150watt, and the one in the Xbox is higher power, I'd also expect the CPU to be roughly on par with what we have now TDP wise because they are gonna need double the power to feed the GPU and not to memory. You don't get 5x power increase for free even if the architecture and process is roughly 2 and a bit times more efficient.

This is gonna be somewhere approaching double the TDP of the Xbox One which was where the original Xbox 360 and PS3 was at. Not impossible but I'm shocked they want to roll that dice again.

You should read about polaris and its efficiency and performance per watt, they're going to be relatively low power state GPU's in relation to their output, I wouldn't expect much heat.

Also that's just polaris, the fact is Scorpio could even be based on Vega which would again be even more efficient.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@joel_c17 said:

No

This.

People forget the Xbox name has been reduced to purely NA and is undesirable in any other region. They fought valiantly for the UK though.

No point having a powerful console if no-ones gonna buy it.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dynamitecop

@misterpmedia said:
@joel_c17 said:

No

This.

People forget the Xbox name has been reduced to purely NA and is undesirable in any other region. They fought valiantly for the UK though.

I have no doubt you'll buy it, I have no doubt that most of the other cows here who were Xbox 360 owners will buy it even if they state they won't, if they prove to have turned things around the only thing that could be holding back a purchase would be fanaticism.

The reality is no one here has any continuity or loyalty, okay maybe a few do, but the fact of the matter is for most it's just a bandwagon behind what is currently the king on the block, if this console pushes Sony into a backseat position there's going to be a lot of flip flopping going on around here.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

The thing about having that much power is.....

You'll want to use it for more than just gaming, but it's a console, so you can't.

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

No matter how powerful Scorpio is the Xbone still doesn't have games. You are better off buying a PC. There is no reason to own a Xbone. None.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

Yes it will but price will matter.

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

@l34052 said:

I would hope Sony doesn't follow this and continue on with the ps4 as is, let ms waste money while Sony work on a world beating powerhouse PS5.

I don't understand why any of the makers would risk splitting and alienating their user Base.

Did you not see Xbox One, One S, and PC gamers playing Horizon 3 together on Stage at the same time? Is Sony incapable of doing the same with their systems? Shame.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

@dynamitecop said:

I have no doubt you'll buy it, I have no doubt that most of the other cows here who were Xbox 360 owners will buy it even if they state they won't, if they prove to have turned things around the only thing that could be holding back a purchase would be fanaticism.

The reality is no one here has any continuity or loyalty, okay maybe a few do, but the fact of the matter is for most it's just a bandwagon behind what is currently the king on the block, if this console pushes Sony into a backseat position there's going to be a lot of flip flopping going on around here.

Speak for yourself. No matter how great Scorpio will be, I'll stick with my PS4 (not even Neo or whatever it will be called). Not because I am a extreme fanboy like a lot of people here but because I enjoy PS4 over X1. I have no desire to purchase one..might as well buy a PC since that is what xbox is about nowadays anyway.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@dynamitecop said:
@misterpmedia said:
@joel_c17 said:

No

This.

I'm not buying Scorpio because Xbox has the worst library and IP range out of the big three. I'm more interested in what ever the hell the NX is if I'm looking for an alternative or second console purchase. Why would I waste a lot of money on more powerful hardware to play less than a handful of games, included long running franchises I have no interest in? So your comment about fanaticism is just straight up blinded by bias. I'm not gonna be surprised when the Apologybox SCO sells worse than Xbone.

Plus with the way this hardware arms race is going, the PS5 will leap frog Scorpio, might as well just sit tight for that and continue buying the games I like.

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts

Lol no. Xbox needs - exclusive - games. It's over. Next gen perhaps. Absolutely no incentive for any gamer with a decent PC (such as...me myself) to get an Xbox, be it Scorpion, Spider or fucking Praying Mantis unless the games are truly exclusive.

Not a single game on display yesterday was Xbox One exclusive. What the hell?

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

MSoft brought a cannon to e3 and Sony brought a fly swatter.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 commander

@dynamitecop said:
@commander said:
@dynamitecop said:
@Random_Matt said:

According to the links ronvalencia posted, it's going to be more than 6 teraflops in total because of the cpu/apu.

But that aside, hardware isn't that expensive nowadays. you can already get a gtx 1070 for 380$ and that's a gpu with 6.5 tflops and it's from the more expensive gpu manufacturer nvidia.

Consoles are also a lot cheaper to make because it's mass production

So I don't think it will cost 600$, it will probably be 500$ and they'll still make a profit. So 450$ is defenitely doable for microsoft.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

Depends on the price but probably not either way. PS4 is going to continue to sell at a rate Xbox can't match, it's just too popular in the rest of the world.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Nope.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#47 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69456 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

They can't if the Neo is finalized.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

@Pedro said:
@Random_Matt said:

They can't if the Neo is finalized.

And Sony even stated that they ain't sure if there will be PS5. I guess Neo is there final stop.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

I hope so, I'm ready for it. Day 1...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

Only time will tell if it turns the tide in console market share, but one thing is certain, it has obviously already turned the tide in Playstation fanboy's opinion on the importance of console power.

Ever since the PS4 and Xbox One were announced, Playstation fanboy's have constantly criticized Xbox One for being slightly weaker than the PS4. Until very recently, the PS4 was very weak on exclusives, but according to Playstation fanboys, that didn't matter because the only thing that mattered was that the PS4 was more powerful and had better multiplats. Now all of sudden, right after Microsoft reveals a console that is significantly more powerful than the PS4, power suddenly doesn't matter anymore and the only thing that matters now is exclusives. And if the game also appears on PC then it doesn't count since all console gamers in the world also game on high-end PCs now... except for Street Fighter V, we'll make an exception for this one and count it on the lists we make of games that Xbox owners can't play.