will ps4s weak cpu gimp the gpu?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by osirisx3 (2032 posts) -

The ps4 is using a very low end tablet/netbook cpu in the ps4. Since its weak cores cant do much they will make the gpu do everything and it will gimp the games. I would not be surprized at all if many ps4 games end up in 720p.

#2 Posted by Heil68 (47238 posts) -
8GB GDDR5 will overcome all.
#3 Posted by KarateeeChop (4666 posts) -

the sad thing is that even the gpu is outdated by today's standards. poor ps4 :(

#4 Posted by lostrib (42847 posts) -

it has 8 cores and 8gb of super fast GDDR5, it will dominate!

#5 Posted by lezgoyolo (41 posts) -

the sad thing is that even the gpu is outdated by today's standards. poor ps4 :(

KarateeeChop
the ps3 & 360 specs are hella out dated by today's standards, and they still sell more games than the Holy PC grafix king
#6 Posted by DaBrainz (7721 posts) -
The fact that its an APU only and doesn't have a discreet graphics card is the gimpy part.
#7 Posted by osirisx3 (2032 posts) -

oh yeah and the 8gbs of gddr5 will gimp ps4 even more because graphics ram does not work well with cpus.

#8 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

yes it probably will the 8-core jaguar is a glorified intel atom clover trail+ it will be lucky if it can get its ehad screwed on straight each morning. the jaguar 8-core will probably be no better than a phenom I x4 and thats conservatively. i imagine that it will be a sever bottleneck for the gpu which is probably why all these amazing looking game demo's weve seen so far operate at 30fps constant. the gpu cant do much better because the cpu is so incredibly weaksauce.

should have simply taken the hd 7750 and an athlon II x4.. that at least would have been a respectable preformance for a respectable price. now sony is gonna get wallet shanked harder than a nice white guy in a nightclub who hit on the drug dealers girlfriend

#9 Posted by lostrib (42847 posts) -

oh yeah and the 8gbs of gddr5 will gimp ps4 even more because graphics ram does not work well with cpus.

osirisx3

it has higher bandwidth than crappy DDR3 in PCs lulz

#10 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
When you don't know sh!t about tech and how it works, you really shouldn't make threads trying to act as if you do.
#11 Posted by FinalFighters (1928 posts) -

When you don't know sh!t about tech and how it works, you really shouldn't make threads trying to act as if you do.AmazonTreeBoa

This. STFU TC

#12 Posted by hexashadow13 (5157 posts) -

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]When you don't know sh!t about tech and how it works, you really shouldn't make threads trying to act as if you do.FinalFighters

This. STFU TC

And pretty much everyone else in this thread. O.o
#13 Posted by osirisx3 (2032 posts) -

[QUOTE="FinalFighters"]

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]When you don't know sh!t about tech and how it works, you really shouldn't make threads trying to act as if you do.hexashadow13

This. STFU TC

And pretty much everyone else in this thread. O.o

hermits are butt hurt that i am agreeing with them? Funny thing is most hermits don't know much either.

#14 Posted by DaBrainz (7721 posts) -
^^Oh sorry I forgot: A10 is the new cell gogo GDDR5! Dork
#15 Posted by FashionFreak (2291 posts) -

PS3 had 7 powerful cell cores and xbox still had superior multiplats. PS4 games will be 720p with fps lag.

#16 Posted by hexashadow13 (5157 posts) -

^^Oh sorry I forgot: A10 is the new cell gogo GDDR5! DorkDaBrainz

^Guy that doesn't even know what an APU is.

#17 Posted by DaBrainz (7721 posts) -

[QUOTE="DaBrainz"]^^Oh sorry I forgot: A10 is the new cell gogo GDDR5! Dorkhexashadow13

Nobody actually knows what an actually A10 APU is, they are magical cutting edge chips from outerspace that will let us play games in 4D. Nevermind that AMD APUs have been around for years and they are always underpowered. Teh future is in teh A10 gogo GDDR5!
#18 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9471 posts) -

[QUOTE="hexashadow13"]

[QUOTE="DaBrainz"]^^Oh sorry I forgot: A10 is the new cell gogo GDDR5! DorkDaBrainz

Nobody actually knows what an actually A10 APU is, they are magical cutting edge chips from outerspace that will let us play games in 4D. Nevermind that AMD APUs have been around for years and they are always underpowered. Teh future is in teh A10 gogo GDDR5!

You are clown shoes.

#19 Posted by hexashadow13 (5157 posts) -
[QUOTE="hexashadow13"]

[QUOTE="DaBrainz"]^^Oh sorry I forgot: A10 is the new cell gogo GDDR5! DorkDaBrainz

*sigh* Retroactive analysis of current technology. >_>
#20 Posted by mastershake575 (8364 posts) -

The ps4s GPU is based off a 7850 which was mid ranged when it came out over a year ago (its not like they paired a dual core processor with a geforce titan). It should be fine

#21 Posted by Wasdie (50651 posts) -

The CPU isn't that weak.

#22 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

No. It will be fair and balanced, like an albino person on a high wire. 

#23 Posted by Gue1 (11428 posts) -

lostrib

the 8 cores have hyper threading too so it will work like if it had 16 cores. Plus the unified high speed memory on the PS4 will help to process workload between CPU and GPU really fast so GPU being weak is not a problem at all. Plus they can work the hardware directly unlike the PC which requires montrous GPU's to do the same thing consoles do on weaker hardware due to the fact that most of its power is locked away because of Windows and its API's. <-- That's the part herms want to ignore with all heir might. Developers hardly use half the power in a $600 GPU and that's why consoles can keep up.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/12324/article/ps4-a-speculative-analysis-of-sony-s-next-gen-console/

http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/5157/20130212/xbox-720-ps4-sony-microsoft-nvidia-rumors-specs-analysis-next-gen.htm

#24 Posted by Gue1 (11428 posts) -

The CPU isn't that weak.

Wasdie

even if it were weak devs can use GPGPU very efficiently due to the fast unified memory. But don't take my word from granted since I'm no developer but I can use this statement as prove for my little argument.

Codeplay director of games technology Colin Riley
"We are excited about the possibilities of GPGPU given the RAM is unified and fast. That will result in some really interesting technologies going forward, and we were happy to see GPGPU shown in the reveal."

http://www.develop-online.net/features/1826/PS4-26-developers-speak

The PS4 is a beast. There are many techniques that will work very efficiently on consoles that can't be emulated in PC environment. Brute power is the only thing the PC has going for it.

#25 Posted by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -
Is it just me or are hermits getting desperate? Attacking the CPU of a console really scraping the bottom of the barrel already?
#26 Posted by blackace (21410 posts) -

lostrib
Says the bias cow who has no idea how GDDR5 even works.
#27 Posted by lostrib (42847 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

blackace

You are not a smart man

#28 Posted by BlbecekBobecek (2740 posts) -

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]When you don't know sh!t about tech and how it works, you really shouldn't make threads trying to act as if you do.FinalFighters

This. STFU TC

#29 Posted by osirisx3 (2032 posts) -

[QUOTE="FinalFighters"]

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]When you don't know sh!t about tech and how it works, you really shouldn't make threads trying to act as if you do.BlbecekBobecek

This. STFU TC

and what did i say thats wrong? the Jag is a low power cpu ment for low end machines. You might as well game on a intel atom and see how well that goes.

#30 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9471 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

blackace

And you do?

#31 Posted by BlbecekBobecek (2740 posts) -

and what did i say thats wrong? the Jag is a low power cpu ment for low end machines. You might as well game on a intel atom and see how well that goes.

osirisx3

You said:

The ps4 is using a very low end tablet/netbook cpu in the ps4.

osirisx3

What tablet/netbook uses the 8core in PS4?

#32 Posted by FashionFreak (2291 posts) -

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

BlbecekBobecek

You said:

osirisx3

8 core means nothing if all 8 cores are weak. PS3 had 7 cores and games didn't look any better than xbox.

#33 Posted by MstaPrimeMnista (1042 posts) -
Nice troll attempt TC everybody already know PS4 is the most powerful system even better than PCs
#34 Posted by lostrib (42847 posts) -

Nice troll attempt TC everybody already know PS4 is the most powerful system even better than PCsMstaPrimeMnista

^worst troll ever

#35 Posted by BlbecekBobecek (2740 posts) -

8 core means nothing if all 8 cores are weak. PS3 had 7 cores and games didn't look any better than xbox.

FashionFreak

How is your post related to what you quoted?

#36 Posted by AM-Gamer (5288 posts) -

Is it just me or are hermits getting desperate? Attacking the CPU of a console really scraping the bottom of the barrel already? Shielder7

What cracks me up the most is they act like its the exact same cpu in a netbook. Its simply based off the same design yet it has more cores and most likely a higher clock speed. 

#37 Posted by RossRichard (2505 posts) -

When you don't know sh!t about tech and how it works, you really shouldn't make threads trying to act as if you do.AmazonTreeBoa

Truth.

#38 Posted by trasherhead (3058 posts) -
My 25Mhz 386 with a SVGA card and 4MB of system ram played awesome games back in the day. Yet, many cores and Mhzs and Bytes later games such as Crysis has barely move passed the gameplay of Doom...
#39 Posted by hexashadow13 (5157 posts) -

[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

You said:

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

FashionFreak

An SPE is not really a core. :/
#40 Posted by NFJSupreme (5407 posts) -

eventually it will but not till later on in its life cyle.  

#41 Posted by DerekLoffin (8808 posts) -
[QUOTE="FashionFreak"]

[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

hexashadow13

An SPE is not really a core. :/

Actually, yes it is. The Cell processor is an asymmetric processor, but each sub element is itself a core. SPE's are highly specialize and crappy for general processing, but they do qualify nonetheless as cores.
#42 Posted by HyperWarlock (3295 posts) -

8GB GDDR5 will overcome all. Heil68

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4

#43 Posted by NFJSupreme (5407 posts) -

lol so much damage control in this thread.  When looking at the PS4 and trying to figure out where the bottleneck will come first its obvious that it will be the CPU.  That is just common sense.  Its not gonna be the RAM and its not gonna be the GPU.  Eventually the CPU WILL bottleneck it and that is when it will start to show its age.  But we are talking about years from now at the end of the consoles life cycle.  Just like RAM defeciencies bottleneck consoles now more than their GPUs and CPUs (not saying their GPUs and CPUs don't slow them down cause they do and are ancient by todays standards but RAM is where the biggest diffeciency is).  Its something far off in the future but it is something that will eventually happen.  I mean honestly its not even worth talking about now but it will happen eventually.  

#44 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9471 posts) -

lol so much damage control in this thread.  When looking at the PS4 and trying to figure out where the bottleneck will come first its obvious that it will be the CPU.  That is just common sense.  Its not gonna be the RAM and its not gonna be the GPU.  Eventually the CPU WILL bottleneck it and that is when it will start to show its age.  But we are talking about years from now at the end of the consoles life cycle.  Just like RAM defeciencies bottleneck consoles now more than their GPUs and CPUs (not saying their GPUs and CPUs don't slow them down cause they do and are ancient by todays standards but RAM is where the biggest diffeciency is).  Its something far off in the future but it is something that will eventually happen.  I mean honestly its not even worth talking about now but it will happen eventually.  

NFJSupreme

That happens to any platform so you are right it is not worth discussing at the moment. PC gamers would never upgrade if this wasn't the case.

#45 Posted by ZoomZoom2490 (3943 posts) -
look what ps3 did with just 256mb of video ram on a 128bit memory bandwidth and a gpu with just old 16 cores that weren't even unified. now think about that for a second, and on top of all that, consoles get the closed coding that is 100x better than what is released on pc. let me just put it In a better view, 8gb of gddr5 memory, x86 architecture with 8 cpu cores and around 1200 unifed shaders on OpenGL with capabilities that go beyond dx11. you hermits are dumb when it comes to understanding how it all works. consoles dictate how games will end up looking on pc.
#46 Posted by ZoomZoom2490 (3943 posts) -

NFJSupreme
BF3 didn't bottleneck any pc cpu or gpu from 6-7 years ago because it was optimized from ground up for pc, you were just forced to upgrade to Intel's i5/i7 cpu's due to all the crappy pc ports. you hermits are not very smart.
#47 Posted by tormentos (20228 posts) -

The ps4 is using a very low end tablet/netbook cpu in the ps4. Since its weak cores cant do much they will make the gpu do everything and it will gimp the games. I would not be surprized at all if many ps4 games end up in 720p.

osirisx3
And what table or laptop has an 8 core Jaguar.? Wait what table or laptop has another CPU to handle OS so that the main 8 core CPU is untouch..
#48 Posted by ZoomZoom2490 (3943 posts) -
[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

tormentos
And what table or laptop has an 8 core Jaguar.? Wait what table or laptop has another CPU to handle OS so that the main 8 core CPU is untouch..

ps4's architecture is not even released yet for pc, don't feed the trolls.
#49 Posted by NFJSupreme (5407 posts) -

look what ps3 did with just 256mb of video ram on a 128bit memory bandwidth and a gpu with just old 16 cores that weren't even unified. now think about that for a second, and on top of all that, consoles get the closed coding that is 100x better than what is released on pc. let me just put it In a better view, 8gb of gddr5 memory, x86 architecture with 8 cpu cores and around 1200 unifed shaders on OpenGL with capabilities that go beyond dx11. you hermits are dumb when it comes to understanding how it all works. consoles dictate how games will end up looking on pc.ZoomZoom2490

Console do not dictate how games will look on PC its actually the other way around. PC dictates how the next gen will look on consoles.  All that crap you are talking about that you know nothing about already exists on PC now.  "next gen" console games willl look like high end PC games now.  In the middle of the life cysle when consoles are being squeezed dry they will be squeezed dry to keep up with what PC games are looking like then.  You are the one who have no idea how it works.

#50 Posted by tormentos (20228 posts) -

KarateeeChop
Yeah and the 720 is doing so much better..:lol: