Will Oculus rift do well?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TigerSuperman (2383 posts) -

Big game changers usually don't do to well until companies ease into the change. The Rift is going to straight up offer a new way to play at inevitable large prices. But it may do decent in the current market. I can see 500,000 being sold maybe on day one with around 2 million by the end of its first year.

With that said, my feelings for the devices success end there. At the most it will probably carve a niche market. Same with the new Onlive, we aren't ready for that stuff yet, and they will only have early success because of hype alone and then die off from the looks of it. Same with gaming phones, the first online, ouya, Virtual light guns, etc.

#2 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

I think VR in 2015 is a sure bet and it will be a big deal.

Who will own that era I think still might be up in the air. Sony might surprise everyone but as it stands now Oculus has a very good lead.

#3 Posted by lawlessx (46779 posts) -

Has alot of support behind it and from the impressions i've read online it works very well. They just need to make sure enough talented developers are working with it early so there isn't a huge gap between it's retail release and decent titles.

#4 Edited by GarGx1 (2779 posts) -

Star Citizen already has Oculus Rift support and it's not even in full Alpha yet. That's enough for me.

#5 Edited by Pray_to_me (2880 posts) -

No it will not. Because first you will need to buy it for whatever it costs (likely half a G) and then you will need a $1000 gpu to get it to run properly. Throw in another $500-$1000 for mobo, ram, OS etc. And then on top of that there's the elephant in the room obviousness that it only runs on PC. WTF are you gonna do with that? Play Half-Life and Balders Gate in VR? *shudder*.

Oculus Rift is a rich boy-shit toy that nobody will give a fuck about within a few months of its release.

#6 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@Pray_to_me said:

No it will not. Because first you will need to buy it for whatever it costs (likely half a G) and then you will need a $1000 gpu to get it to run properly. Throw in another $500-$1000 for mobo, ram, OS etc. And then on top of that there's the elephant in the room obviousness that it only runs on PC. WTF are you gonna do with that? Play Half-Life and Balders Gate in VR? *shudder*.

Oculus Rift is a rich boy-shit toy that nobody will give a fuck about within a few months of its release.

actually not so much.

I have the $300 dev kit and max it out using a $100 graphics card. Granted the retail version is higher graphics but not that much. 1080p is insanely easy on a PC.

#7 Posted by Boddicker (2813 posts) -

Depends alot on the price tag.

#8 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

Yes it will, well at last the tech and idea behind it will. The next coming years will be huge for VR

The possibilities for games built around it are insane

#9 Edited by locopatho (20385 posts) -

I don't see the appeal of strapping shit to my face. Seems like a gimmick. I could easily be wrong tho. Those reaction videos of people playing Horror games are impressive in their silliness :P

#10 Posted by Ballroompirate (23052 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

Yes it will, well at last the tech and idea behind it will. The next coming years will be huge for VR

Oculus Rift will do as well as motion gaming, which means it gonna bomb hard and I'm gonna laugh. VR gaming will be as cliche as motion gaming tell we actually get VR tech like

#11 Edited by Jankarcop (9636 posts) -

Move, screen on controller, and Kinect are gimmicks.

This isn't a gimmick. A simple youtube of reactions quickly proves this.

#12 Edited by pelvist (4874 posts) -

If the price is right, then it should. The more people with one means more software developed for it. More competition could also be a good thing as software can then be shared across platforms. The Oculus Rift already works in many PC games and even some console games, but it works the best in games designed for VR and right now ( apart from a few "tech demos", some of which are really good) there arent really that many indev. If only a few people have one it will only ever be as successful as peripherals like the Razor Hydra and TrackIR.

I expect VR will be used in many other things beside gaming though too.

#13 Edited by Couth_ (10182 posts) -

I think the device itself will sell in the low millions.. The potential userbase is just to small at the moment

The technology is definitely going to make strides in the next few years though. Maybe Occulus 2.0 or beyond becomes a regular household thing

#14 Posted by Kinthalis (5322 posts) -

@Pray_to_me said:

LOL! Talk about angry consolite. Why u so salty mang?

#15 Edited by mems_1224 (47291 posts) -

Im sure it will do fine. I cant wait to get one.

Am I the only one that kinda wishes the rift would get X1 support and maybe some day some dev could do something cool with a controller, OR and kinect?

#16 Posted by Kinthalis (5322 posts) -

I think the PC community will take to it. I wouldn't be suprised if by 2016 we have 5+ million of those in the wild.

There'll be a ton of traditional games that support it, but the real mind altering experiences will be exclusives - they just won't be super huge complex games, at least in the beginning. Eventually with support from Valve, oculus and toher we'll start to see AAA experiences on the rift - I predit 2017 or so.

#17 Edited by Kinthalis (5322 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

Am I the only one that kinda wishes the rift would get X1 support and maybe some day some dev could do something cool with a controller, OR and kinect?

Dude, X1 has issues at 720p, 30 FPS, 65 FOV. It's not going to run much at 2K 95 FPS with a huge 120+ FOV.

However, PC's ARE getting their own updated version of the Kinect too, and the one that already exists for it is better than the one in the 360. So I'm hopefuyl we'll see it and other move related stuff like the Hydra being used with it. Alos, PC's support gamepads, so that's covered too.

#18 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Oculus Rift will do as well as motion gaming, which means it gonna bomb hard and I'm gonna laugh. VR gaming will be as cliche as motion gaming tell we actually get VR tech like

How much hands on experience have you had with an Oculus Rift?

In fact all the people in threads like this how much experience have you all had with a Rift?

#19 Posted by Speak_Low (1097 posts) -
@seanmcloughlin said:

I'm very excited about this Oculus after watching videos and impressions (btw I never knew you were that guy on Youtube with the Oculus videos - too me a while to make the connection).

While you're here, can you tell us if these videos of people going wild over their first Oculus experience (like the rollercoaster demo) - are they the real deal or are they kind of exaggerating the "wow" factor for the camera and friends? Maybe they are casuals who probably scream at everything, even the Teacups at Disney Land

Video (warning very loud screaming at times):

#20 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25631 posts) -

I want an Oculus Rift and the Onmi Virtrex so I can pretend I'm that kid from "First Kid" (that Sinbad film where he's the first kid's body gaurd or something).

#21 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@speak_low said:

I'm very excited about this Oculus after watching videos and impressions (btw I never knew you were that guy on Youtube with the Oculus videos - too me a while to make the connection).

While you're here, can you tell us if these videos of people going wild over their first Oculus experience (like the rollercoaster demo) - are they the real deal or are they kind of exaggerating the "wow" factor for the camera and friends? Maybe they are casuals who probably scream at everything, even the Teacups at Disney Land

Some of them are over the top because the people aren't used to games in general or the device and there's an extra wow factor for them but most of the time the reactions are spot on. Many times I've been playing with it and I was grinning like an idiot and saying from side to side. Or even moving my head trying to dodge stuff because it really felt like I had to.

Horror games then are a completely different story, a horror game in the rift can really make you feel uneasy and isolated. You can't turn your head away from the screen or anything like that when you have the Rift on and if something pops up in front of your face it really feels like it's their and makes you jerk your head back

The freakiest thing I've done with it though is stepping into a real life environment with real life static character models that were shot with DSLR cameras. Going up to their faces and seeing it like a real person standing in front of you is surreal. Makes me really think what could be done with it.

However it isn't at the level yet where it feels like ou're 100% in the game world. There's still some tunnel vision and the shitty resolution doesn't help as well as no 3D head tracking and a lot of motion blur but as a first step it's a mighty big one

#22 Posted by Ballroompirate (23052 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

How much hands on experience have you had with an Oculus Rift?

In fact all the people in threads like this how much experience have you all had with a Rift?

And I don't plan on trying it ether cause I don't like the idea of having a visor over my face when I play a video game.

#23 Posted by evildead6789 (7905 posts) -

@TigerSuperman said:

Big game changers usually don't do to well until companies ease into the change. The Rift is going to straight up offer a new way to play at inevitable large prices. But it may do decent in the current market. I can see 500,000 being sold maybe on day one with around 2 million by the end of its first year.

With that said, my feelings for the devices success end there. At the most it will probably carve a niche market. Same with the new Onlive, we aren't ready for that stuff yet, and they will only have early success because of hype alone and then die off from the looks of it. Same with gaming phones, the first online, ouya, Virtual light guns, etc.

it will be the biggest game changer ever, it's low priced (they even said over time they could give the glasses for free because the game will sell well)

Comparing gamingphones, virtual light guns? I don't even...

#24 Edited by evildead6789 (7905 posts) -
@Ballroompirate said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

you stupid? Not everyone has it's own holodek in star trek, they have to share it and they're high ranking officers, holographic tech already exist, the only reason they didn't make a holodeck yet, is cost. Who's going to buy that, bill gates?

This is affordable and new, I'm buying it. If you think this is the same as motion control, then pigs fly (besides I have motion control on a ps3 with a move game the fight, which is actually good, the wii tech is simply inferior and they don't have any good games)

#25 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@evildead6789: yup...

There is STEM system as well and some other projects I am not as familiar with.

VR is coming for sure

#26 Posted by SakusEnvoy (4333 posts) -

In the end, it'll come down to cost.

Kinect gets a lot of hate, and its contribution to gaming may have been very little besides more accurate dancing games, but there was a lot of excitement towards the technology in 2010 and the price was just right for consumer adoption ($150). It was well advertised. It interested not just casuals but also some tech enthusiasts. The result, of course, was the Guinness World Record for fastest selling consumer electronics device. It wasn't quite able to maintain that momentum, but it still sold over 24 million units - which means we got more Kinect sales than sales of the original Xbox.

Of course, the fad is pretty much over now and Xbox One is suffering as a result.

Oculus Rift needs to capture consumer-end energy and enthusiasm if it wants to be successful. It can't just be a $500 target of fascination for the type of people who plop thousands of dollars into upgrading their rigs every year. If it's priced too high, it'll be little more than a niche plaything like 3D Vision gaming... and that's best case scenario.

I'm not sure what consumer-end price point it needs to be in order to be successful, but I know if I were to ask someone to buy me an Oculus Rift for Christmas it should be $300 or less.

#27 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@SakusEnvoy said:

In the end, it'll come down to cost.

Kinect gets a lot of hate, and its contribution to gaming may have been very little besides more accurate dancing games, but there was a lot of excitement towards the technology in 2010 and the price was just right for consumer adoption ($150). It was well advertised. It interested not just casuals but also some tech enthusiasts. The result, of course, was the Guinness World Record for fastest selling consumer electronics device. It wasn't quite able to maintain that momentum, but it still sold over 24 million units - which means we got more Kinect sales than sales of the original Xbox.

Of course, the fad is pretty much over now and Xbox One is suffering as a result.

Oculus Rift needs to capture consumer-end energy and enthusiasm if it wants to be successful. It can't just be a $500 target of fascination for the type of people who plop thousands of dollars into upgrading their rigs every year. If it's priced too high, it'll be little more than a niche plaything like 3D Vision gaming... and that's best case scenario.

I'm not sure what consumer-end price point it needs to be in order to be successful, but I know if I were to ask someone to buy me an Oculus Rift for Christmas it should be $300 or less.

$300 is the price point.

here is something to think about.

Many gamers and non gamers spend 5-10x as much on audio as they do their console and all that does is play sound.

If VR is as good as it appears it will be there will be a market for high end gaming just as there is a market for high end audio

#28 Posted by Sharp-Shooter89 (116 posts) -

@Kinthalis said:

@mems_1224 said:

Dude, X1 has issues at 720p, 30 FPS, 65 FOV. It's not going to run much at 2K 95 FPS with a huge 120+ FOV.

However, PC's ARE getting their own updated version of the Kinect too, and the one that already exists for it is better than the one in the 360. So I'm hopefuyl we'll see it and other move related stuff like the Hydra being used with it. Alos, PC's support gamepads, so that's covered too.

you forgot that it needs to also do stereoscopic 3d, this is not a toy for consoles, they can barely do 1080p 60 fps and maintain it

#29 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@Sharp-Shooter89 said:

@Kinthalis said:

@mems_1224 said:

you forgot that it needs to also do stereoscopic 3d, this is not a toy for consoles, they can barely do 1080p 60 fps and maintain it

this is why I am very interested to learn about the Sony VR which rumors claim is better than oculus. I am unclear how that is possible with only 1080p

#30 Posted by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

nah rift is a gimmick. Fact of the matter is, with a rift... you generally perform worse in games. People will pay out the wazoo for advantages, but not for disadvantages.

#31 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@BeardMaster said:

nah rift is a gimmick. Fact of the matter is, with a rift... you generally perform worse in games. People will pay out the wazoo for advantages, but not for disadvantages.

its not a competition.

yes they will play worse but they will also be more immersed.

#32 Edited by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@speak_low said:

Some of them are over the top because the people aren't used to games in general or the device and there's an extra wow factor for them but most of the time the reactions are spot on. Many times I've been playing with it and I was grinning like an idiot and saying from side to side. Or even moving my head trying to dodge stuff because it really felt like I had to.

Horror games then are a completely different story, a horror game in the rift can really make you feel uneasy and isolated. You can't turn your head away from the screen or anything like that when you have the Rift on and if something pops up in front of your face it really feels like it's their and makes you jerk your head back

The freakiest thing I've done with it though is stepping into a real life environment with real life static character models that were shot with DSLR cameras. Going up to their faces and seeing it like a real person standing in front of you is surreal. Makes me really think what could be done with it.

However it isn't at the level yet where it feels like ou're 100% in the game world. There's still some tunnel vision and the shitty resolution doesn't help as well as no 3D head tracking and a lot of motion blur but as a first step it's a mighty big one

Curious do you feel like you have an advantage in games? like if you are playing your favorite online competitive game... do you pop the rift on so you can pwn the competition? or do you toss it in a corner, so you can pwn the competition?

the vibe ive gotten thus far, is the rift, while cool... makes you worse at games. If thats the case i cant see it ever catching on.

#33 Edited by Sharp-Shooter89 (116 posts) -
@SEANMCAD said:

@Sharp-Shooter89 said:

@Kinthalis said:

@mems_1224 said:

this is why I am very interested to learn about the Sony VR which rumors claim is better than oculus. I am unclear how that is possible with only 1080p

why are people comparing sony VR (for movies) to the rift, thats like comparing a Geforce product to a quadro for gaming, they're both graphics cards sure, but they specialize in different things,

sony vr is something like a 720 screen that delivers that "theatre" screen experience, its probably a 30hz panel, no motion gyros what so ever, not 3d capable and for those of you that dont know, the SONY VR headset is not a screen the surrounds your eyes, but a screen that makes it seem like your in the middle of a move theater, so your peripheral vision is watching nothing but a black surrounding a square screen

"personal headsets that simulate watching a screen that measures 700 to 750 inches in size from around 65 feet away"

rift:in the environment feeling, great for gaming

sony: in the theater feeling, great for movies

sonys screen looks "sharper" because its actually a much smaller screen, hence why you get large black borders on it

#34 Edited by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@BeardMaster said:

its not a competition.

sure but it limits its usefulness. Now you are talking only single player games, where player skill doesnt play a big role. Which seems to make it more a of a gimmick than a revolution. If people playing counter strike or call of duty or dota of whatever... play better without the rift, nobody will use it. People wont spend hundreds of dollars to be worse at games.

#35 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@BeardMaster said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@BeardMaster said:

its not a competition.

sure but it limits its usefulness. Now you are talking only single player games, where player skill doesnt play a big role. Which seems to make it more a of a gimmick than a revolution. If people playing counter strike or call of duty or dota of whatever... play better without the rift, nobody will use it.

oculus has far more uselfulness then standard gaming.

in the non-gaming world people are going nuts over the possibilities from Nasa to virtual showrooms.

That said, stradegy games and the like are limited.

Here is the irony in what you are saying

Virtual reality is more limiting because it represents real life more..

wat?

#36 Posted by MirkoS77 (7633 posts) -

@GarGx1 said:

Star Citizen already has Oculus Rift support and it's not even in full Alpha yet. That's enough for me.

#37 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@Sharp-Shooter89 said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@Sharp-Shooter89 said:

@Kinthalis said:

@mems_1224 said:

why are people comparing sony VR (for movies) to the rift, thats like comparing a Geforce product to a quadro for gaming, they're both graphics cards sure, but they specialize in different things,

sony vr is something like a 720 screen that delivers that "theatre" screen experience, its probably a 30hz panel, no motion gyros what so ever, not 3d capable and for those of you that dont know, the SONY VR headset is not a screen the surrounds your eyes, but a screen that makes it seem like your in the middle of a move theater, so your peripheral vision is watching nothing but a black surrounding a square screen

"personal headsets that simulate watching a screen that measures 700 to 750 inches in size from around 65 feet away"

rift:in the environment feeling, great for gaming

sony: in the theater feeling, great for movies

sonys screen looks "sharper" because its actually a much smaller screen, hence why you get large black borders on it

word out is that what they are going to show at GDC is NOT their movie watching device. Rumor is its a device aimed at gaming.

but so far its just rumor.

#38 Edited by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -
@SEANMCAD said:

@BeardMaster said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@BeardMaster said:

its not a competition.

sure but it limits its usefulness. Now you are talking only single player games, where player skill doesnt play a big role. Which seems to make it more a of a gimmick than a revolution. If people playing counter strike or call of duty or dota of whatever... play better without the rift, nobody will use it.

oculus has far more uselfulness then standard gaming.

in the non-gaming world people are going nuts over the possibilities from Nasa to virtual showrooms.

That said, stradegy games and the like are limited.

Here is the irony in what you are saying

Virtual reality is more limiting because it represents real life more..

wat?

Well the added irony is, if you wanna play a fighting game... throwing a punch is alot more realistic than pressing a button. Yet kinect has yet to revolutionize gaming. Frankly people dont want simulators, they want games. They want the easiest method. People would rather press the jump button, than actually jump.

#39 Posted by Ballroompirate (23052 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:
@Ballroompirate said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

you stupid? Not everyone has it's own holodek in star trek, they have to share it and they're high ranking officers, holographic tech already exist, the only reason they didn't make a holodeck yet, is cost. Who's going to buy that, bill gates?

This is affordable and new, I'm buying it. If you think this is the same as motion control, then pigs fly (besides I have motion control on a ps3 with a move game the fight, which is actually good, the wii tech is simply inferior and they don't have any good games)

The only person that is stupid is you, not everyone owned a holodeck cause they didn't need one nor where there "gamers", people strive to better themselves and humankind.It wasn't expensive since there was no poverty during Star Trek you dim wit.

I'm not even gonna point out other reasons why you are ignorant, just to put it simple reading your post makes English Majors cry.

#40 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

@evildead6789 said:
@Ballroompirate said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

The only person that is stupid is you, not everyone owned a holodeck cause they didn't need one nor where there "gamers", people strive to better themselves and humankind.It wasn't expensive since there was no poverty during Star Trek you dim wit.

I'm not even gonna point out other reasons why you are ignorant, just to put it simple reading your post makes English Majors cry.

ok that went bizzaro

#41 Posted by Ballroompirate (23052 posts) -

@SEANMCAD:

I get serious when Star Trek gets brought up -.-

#42 Posted by naz99 (1405 posts) -

Put it this way the occults rift is not available in any retail channels, only as a prototype from their website yet has still managed to sell over 50 thousand units....so yes its gonna be successfull

#43 Edited by getyeryayasout (7606 posts) -

I think over time it will be successful and instances of guys getting caught j*cking-off at their PC by their loved ones will skyrocket. Dat 'mursian. :P

#44 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@BeardMaster said:

Curious do you feel like you have an advantage in games? like if you are playing your favorite online competitive game... do you pop the rift on so you can pwn the competition? or do you toss it in a corner, so you can pwn the competition?

the vibe ive gotten thus far, is the rift, while cool... makes you worse at games. If thats the case i cant see it ever catching on.

Oh it definitely makes you worse. The tech isn't finalised at all yet. It doesn't even had 3D head tracking, it has some lag to it and has a shit tonne of motion blur as well as a poor resolution. Of course it would make you worse at games in its current form. That doesn't mean the final product will or rival devices will, we have to see where the tech goes first

Also a device doesn't have to make you better at gaming to do well. If it offers a different and unique enough experience that nothing else can offer then it can do really well depending on price point

#45 Posted by evildead6789 (7905 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

@evildead6789 said:
@Ballroompirate said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Who says there were no gamers in star trek, I justed pointed out how ridiculous your argument is. This is no star trek and holodecks are too costly but they can be made. Holographic technology exists, maybe not with holograms that can touch you but apart from that they can make it exactly the same.

Besides where are you going to put that holodeck, in your garage. It's not a product to get at home for the average person.

Maybe you should point out other reasons why I would be ignorant but you can't , the only thing you can say is that my english isn't perfect. So what, you understand exactly what I mean and what I say, english is not my native language.

The fact is that your statement about oculus rift is biased. In the nineties vr was the next big thing, only technology was too costly and not advanced enough to make it work. Now we have the tech and it's affordable. Welcome to the new gen, you don't like it? I'm sure devs will still cater people that want to live in the past.

#46 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@BeardMaster said:

Oh it definitely makes you worse. The tech isn't finalised at all yet. It doesn't even had 3D head tracking, it has some lag to it and has a shit tonne of motion blur as well as a poor resolution. Of course it would make you worse at games in its current form. That doesn't mean the final product will or rival devices will, we have to see where the tech goes first

Also a device doesn't have to make you better at gaming to do well. If it offers a different and unique enough experience that nothing else can offer then it can do really well depending on price point

no it does have 3d head tracking.

also..

do we play games for fun or to win? also if everyone is on the same playing field what difference does it make?

#47 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@evildead6789: you say...

Besides where are you going to put that holodeck, in your garage. It's not a product to get at home for the average person.

WHAT?

yeah holidecks are real but you know it aint all that great because you need the space.

What....the...fuck?

#48 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

also..

do we play games for fun or to win? also if everyone is on the same playing field what difference does it make?

The current version of the Rift to buy doesn't have 3D positional headtracking. Crystal Cove does.

also we play games for both depending on the type of game. In fact the very definition of "game" has two meanings for both competitive and leisure activity

#49 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

also..

The current version of the Rift to buy doesn't have 3D positional headtracking. Crystal Cove does.

also we play games for both depending on the type of game. In fact the very definition of "game" has two meanings for both competitive and leisure activity

I came in a bit late to this part of the conversation but its important to understand that the final consumer edition of Oculus will have full head and torso tracking and most likely hand tracking as well.

the question becomes this. If I can be 'better' at shooting things in a video game then I can in real life does that make the game better?

The point of virtual reality is that it represents what you would really experience in such a situation.

Think about that :)

#50 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

the question becomes this. If I can be 'better' at shooting things in a video game then I can in real life does that make the game better?

Entirely subjective to the individual. What makes a game "better" or "more fun" is completely different from person to person

Someone might be fine if VR just gives them head tracking and 3D in a game and others might not be happy until it gives them complete 1:1 full body tracking. You can't just use a sweeping statement