Will Oblivion appeal to PS3 fans?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
I don't mean to generalise here as I'm sure many are eagerly anticipating its release. The ones I'm specifically talking about are the FF fans and JRPG crowd. From the many of them on the forums I've gathered they prefer a tight linear story, enhanced by cut scenes and actively dislike the more free roaming approach to WRPG. Now Oblivion may not be as deep as Morrowind, and its central story line is certainly much much weaker, but it would be a crying shame if JRPG fans didn't give the game a fair crack of the whip as they'd be missing out on a super game. I'd be interested if any mainly JRPG have played this game on the 360 and/or PC and how they found it compared and whether it would be accepted by the JPRG community who are obviously crying out for any new games on the PS3 especially RPG's?
-uHuRu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 -uHuRu
Member since 2007 • 158 Posts
I might give it a try, just because of the hype.
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
I have a PS3. I think I'll be getting this one. I was going to get a 360 because of this game. I have a lot of JRPGs btw. :P
Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts
Wouldn't it make sense for the people that spent the most on a console for graphics to want to buy the game that focuses on graphics?
Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts
I wont be buying Oblivion. It's just not my type of game.
GunnerAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GunnerAli
Member since 2007 • 247 Posts
i cant wait for oblivion
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
I wont be buying Oblivion. It's just not my type of game.Telekill
It'll probably be the best game on the PS3, would you rent and try it?
asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 asmallchild
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
[QUOTE="Telekill"]I wont be buying Oblivion. It's just not my type of game.blue_hazy_basic

I'd rent and try it but I find more "modern" RPGs to my liking. (e.g. Mass Effect)
nickmag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nickmag
Member since 2006 • 6710 Posts
[QUOTE="Telekill"]I wont be buying Oblivion. It's just not my type of game.blue_hazy_basic

It'll get an 8.8 though, I bet on it GS: The lighting isn't as good, the graphics should be better, it's an old game and they should have done more stuff to it etc etc
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="Telekill"]I wont be buying Oblivion. It's just not my type of game.asmallchild

I'd rent and try it but I find more "modern" RPGs to my liking. (e.g. Mass Effect)

I'm really looking forward to mass effect, I love both types to be honest (KOTOR Fallout vs Planetscape BG series etc all good). But the PS3 won't be getting anything like that, it was really directed at the PS3 fans to see if they'd give a different genre a go.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 magus-21
Member since 2006 • 2868 Posts
I personally didn't even like it on the 360 or the PC. I just don't like first-person RPGs. The combat in this game is extremely boring and repetitive and borderline broken. None of the battles feel epic at all, and that's just made worse by the fact that everyone levels up with you (doesn't that kinda make leveling up pointless?). Bring back the glory days of Baldur's Gate II, when I could scorch landscapes and summon dragons. Oblivion just doesn't cut it.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="magus-21"]I personally didn't even like it on the 360 or the PC. I just don't like first-person RPGs. The combat in this game is extremely boring and repetitive and borderline broken. None of the battles feel epic at all, and that's just made worse by the fact that everyone levels up with you (doesn't that kinda make leveling up pointless?). Bring back the glory days of Baldur's Gate II, when I could scorch landscapes and summon dragons. Oblivion just doesn't cut it.

Morrowind was much better. On the PC there are mods to fix this.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="Telekill"]I wont be buying Oblivion. It's just not my type of game.nickmag

It'll get an 8.8 though, I bet on it GS: The lighting isn't as good, the graphics should be better, it's an old game and they should have done more stuff to it etc etc

That would still make it the best PS3 scoring game I think, and yea it will lose points for being a year old I'm sure. I'm still playing it though! (BTW ffs MS how about making Morrowind BC you barstewards!)
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
Um don't you remember last year what cows said? Oblivion is horribly overrated, boring, and not on the same level as Final Fantasy. Cows sure have changed their tune. I think it will appeal to PS3 fans but not the cows in this board sadly.
asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 asmallchild
[QUOTE="asmallchild"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="Telekill"]I wont be buying Oblivion. It's just not my type of game.blue_hazy_basic

I'm really looking forward to mass effect, I love both types to be honest (KOTOR Fallout vs Planetscape BG series etc all good). But the PS3 won't be getting anything like that, it was really directed at the PS3 fans to see if they'd give a different genre a go.

FF13 seems pretty futuristic too. Now if only that were being released soon :P
asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 asmallchild
Um don't you remember last year what cows said? Oblivion is horribly overrated, boring, and not on the same level as Final Fantasy. Cows sure have changed their tune. I think it will appeal to PS3 fans but not the cows in this board sadly.Blackbond
Horribly overrated? Lies. Boring? To some people probably. Not on the same level as FF? True.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="asmallchild"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="Telekill"]I wont be buying Oblivion. It's just not my type of game.asmallchild

Yea sorry I meant anytime soon :) wasn't trying to make a dig!
klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 klactose
Member since 2003 • 1167 Posts
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]I don't mean to generalise here as I'm sure many are eagerly anticipating its release. The ones I'm specifically talking about are the FF fans and JRPG crowd. From the many of them on the forums I've gathered they prefer a tight linear story, enhanced by cut scenes and actively dislike the more free roaming approach to WRPG. Now Oblivion may not be as deep as Morrowind, and its central story line is certainly much much weaker, but it would be a crying shame if JRPG fans didn't give the game a fair crack of the whip as they'd be missing out on a super game. I'd be interested if any mainly JRPG have played this game on the 360 and/or PC and how they found it compared and whether it would be accepted by the JPRG community who are obviously crying out for any new games on the PS3 especially RPG's?

Well I think you answered your own question now that you narrowed the focus group from PS3 fans down to fans of "tight linear" storylines. There are a lot of people who play games and don't want to have to make a bunch of decisions, those types of people will not like Oblivion. Then there are the people who enjoy plotting their own path and playing in sandbox given, those types will like Oblivion.
gnutux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 gnutux
Member since 2005 • 1341 Posts
Couldn't you just download its demo and try it out instead of popping money to rent it first? Anyways, I do think that it would be worth it to any gamer. It's just a great game in itself. gnutux
chrisdojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 chrisdojo
Member since 2005 • 5065 Posts
it probably doesn't have enough car jacking in it.
asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 asmallchild
[QUOTE="asmallchild"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="asmallchild"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="Telekill"]I wont be buying Oblivion. It's just not my type of game.blue_hazy_basic

Yea sorry I meant anytime soon :) wasn't trying to make a dig!

haha...no problem I didn't interpret it as a dig :)
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="klactose"] Well I think you answered your own question now that you narrowed the focus group from PS3 fans down to fans of "tight linear" storylines. There are a lot of people who play games and don't want to have to make a bunch of decisions, those types of people will not like Oblivion. Then there are the people who enjoy plotting their own path and playing in sandbox given, those types will like Oblivion.

Thats kind of what I meant. Given the severe lack of games for the PS3 and esp RPG's will they try Oblivion? As far as I'm aware there are no similar games for the PS2 so it might not be like anything they have experienced. So if they tried it they might enjoy it!
GsSanAndreas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GsSanAndreas
Member since 2004 • 3075 Posts
I wont be buying it.
Grandstreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Grandstreamer
Member since 2004 • 4562 Posts
if there is one thing that is true about the playstation gamers (save your ps3 hate for a second) its that all genres of games are appreciated. heck oblivion is like the top 5 preordered ps3 game.
Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'd be willing to rent it if it didn't cost $8.00 to rent a game around here. :? I'm sure it's a fine game if you're an RPG fan. I'm really not though. As far as it being "The Best Game on the PS3"... It's all a matter of opinion. I'm really enjoying Resistance and Motorstorm.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
It should. Many fans of the PS3 are RPG fans and Oblivion takes a new approach to RPGs. I think it will be a welcome addition to a great library of RPG games on the Playstation brand.