Will Nintendo make another home console if the Wii U flops?

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by emgesp (2154 posts) -

I have a feeling they will just stick with handhelds if the Wii U turns into another Gamecube.

Do you think Nintendo can learn from the Wii U's failure, or will they forever be stuck in their stubborn bubble? I think Iwata needs to go asap.

#2 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26910 posts) -

Honestly, yes. They came off from the Wii's financial success, so they can take another hit. It doesn't matter how much they make from handhelds or how much support there is, NOT EVERYONE is into handhelds, and (as I keep repeating) is like standing on one leg: you could only stand on it for so long before you lose balance even faster.

#3 Posted by wolverine4262 (19394 posts) -

Why wouldnt they? They have tons of money.

#4 Posted by lundy86_4 (43547 posts) -

Yes.

#5 Posted by ActicEdge (24492 posts) -

Obviously, they just won't follow the same philosophy as now.

#6 Edited by emgesp (2154 posts) -

Ok, but they can't keep making consoles with the same outdated philosophies. Something needs to change. Look how much Sony changed after all the issues they had with the PS3. They were able to put their pride to the side and admit they made mistakes. I think Nintendo needs to do the same. They can't survive in the home console business for much longer if they don't move away from their traditional mindset.

Nintendo needs to hire a new leader with great vision for the company. Iwata has no vision. Nintendo needs their version of Steve Jobs.

#7 Posted by MirkoS77 (7627 posts) -

Yes they will. And as long as upper management remains the same and stagnates we're going to continue to witness them doing the same old antics with clueless abandon. Just as we've had software droughts each gen, new excuses and effusive promises that "it'll never happen again, we learnt from GC, DS, Wii, N64" will come and go........and then it'll happen all over again.

#8 Edited by VERTIGO47 (6278 posts) -

Yes they need to. Nintendo is a laughing stock with their consoles.

#9 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Yeah, they will, though I'm leaning more towards the idea of them possibly just combining their handheld/console line into one product that can "dock" into a tv for some home console gaming, and also go with you in your pocket.

The idea behind Nintendo home consoles seems to just be a "family-oriented" device for playing games, and that marketing is utilized to further the sales of their own first party lineup. Their hardware sells their software.

I highly doubt Mario Kart Wii would have sold 30 million copies if it was released as a 3rd party multiplat on the PS3/360 because the idea behind Mario Kart of being a family-friendly multiplayer party game mostly contradicts the idea behind the 360/PS3 of being more online-focused systems geared towards mature audiences.

It's the combination how Nintendo marketed the Wii, and which demographics they targeted, combined with how they marketed software like Mario Kart, which drove the huge sales of their first party titles last gen.

If Nintendo was just marketing their games, and left Sony/MS to advertise their consoles as they do currently, Nintendo games would sell far less I'm sure.

#10 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6810 posts) -

Funny that you think one failure can put Ninty out of the business, especially when all their other products are doing so exceptionally well.

#11 Posted by superbuuman (2903 posts) -

lol, if Iwata is still in charge, it will be a repeat of Wii (take GC specs inject steroids) ...in this case take Wii U inject it with steroids high enough specs so all games will run at 1080p @ 60fps..with a new controller. That will be Nintendo next system after Wii U. :P

#12 Posted by meetroid8 (21140 posts) -

Obviously. One flop isn't going to sink the entire company.

#13 Edited by emgesp (2154 posts) -

@Shottayouth13- said:

Funny that you think one failure can put Ninty out of the business, especially when all their other products are doing so exceptionally well.

I never said one failure would put Nintendo out of business. I simply asked if they would make another home console after the Wii U if it ends up failing. Nintendo can't keep making home consoles with the same traditional mindset. It just won't work anymore. They are just setting themselves up for failure if they aren't willing to change.

#14 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26910 posts) -

@emgesp: So the only way they can survive the console race is to sell-out and stop doing how they do things, which is... whatever they want? It may not always work (stuff like the Virtual Boy is evidence of that), but it would be boring if they completely followed trends set up by the competition.

#15 Edited by superbuuman (2903 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@emgesp: So the only way they can survive the console race is to sell-out?

No, I think it means look at what works & improve on that rather than "being different" for the sake of being different..which seems to be what they are doing.

#16 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26910 posts) -

@superbuuman said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@emgesp: So the only way they can survive the console race is to sell-out?

No, I think it means look at what works & improve on that rather than "being different" for the sake of being different..which seems to be what they are doing.

Which is something they have done for a long time? N64 was different from PSOne, for both good (popularized analog sticks) and bad (cartridges).

And what else can they improve on? Online functionalities, for both 3DS and Wii U could be improved sure, and I'd like things to be region free from them again, but they aren't going to get much benefit from DVD playback or more powerful hardware.

#17 Edited by silversix_ (14803 posts) -

They certainly will and there's not 'if' wiiu flops, but when and how much time left. By the end of 2014 i think its a bye bye

#18 Edited by emgesp (2154 posts) -

The original Wii's success was a fluke and Nintendo thought lighting would strike twice with the Wii U. Nintendo thought they could recapture the casual audience with another gimmicky controller, but the problem is casuals are already happy playing games on their IPads. Casuals aren't looking for a lot of depth in their games. They just want something quick, fun and most importantly inexpensive,

The Wii U fails if it tries to compete with Tablets and it will fail if it tries to compete with the PS4/Xbone. It is this weird in between device that not a lot of people want. If you want the tablet experience then you will buy a dedicated tablet, and if you want the best core gaming experience then you will buy either an Xbone, or PS4 because not only will you get great 1st party titles, but you also get all those great third party titles as well. The only people interested in the Wii U is the same 21 million Nintendo fans that bought the Gamecube.

#19 Posted by cfisher2833 (1711 posts) -

@emgesp: its certainlu possible. the handheld market is getting to a point where it can satisfy the graphical needs nintendos art styles demand

#20 Edited by emgesp (2154 posts) -

@cfisher2833: So you think they will make a handheld/home console hybrid? Makes sense why the Wii U is so underpowered then. The next console will have to be more powerful than the Wii U while at the same time being small enough for it to be used as a handheld device. Mobile chips are improving pretty drastically every year. I can definitely see a mobile chipset outperforming a Wii U by a good amount 5 yrs from now.

#21 Posted by DocSanchez (1651 posts) -

They may shift their priorities.

People say they can afford it, but the question is, would they want to? They have been on a downward trajectory and only the gimmicked wii saved them from making this choice earlier. It was the Rubick's Cube of the generation, and their follow up hasn't made a dent in comparison.

They may decide it isn't in their best interests.

#22 Edited by emgesp (2154 posts) -

@DocSanchez:

Exactly, I don't think Nintendo would be willing to change their old traditional ways and because of this any future Nintendo home consoles will most likely end up selling poorly as well.

They got lucky with the Wii because there really wasn't anything like it at the time, but the same can't be said about the Wii U. By the time the Wii U arrived, touchscreen gaming had already become mainstream, so the Wii U wasn't offering anything new to entice casual gamers. Why would the casual gamer buy a Wii U if they are already happy playing free games on their IPADs?

The only people buying the Wii U is Nintendo's core fanbase which is estimated at around 20 million in total. Does it really make sense for Nintendo to continue to make consoles that will only appeal to those 20 million Nintendo fans?

#23 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26910 posts) -

@emgesp said:

@DocSanchez:

Exactly, I don't think Nintendo would be willing to change their old traditional ways and because of this any future Nintendo home consoles will most likely end up selling poorly as well.

They got lucky with the Wii because there really wasn't anything like it at the time, but the same can't be said about the Wii U. By the time the Wii U arrived, touchscreen gaming had already become mainstream, so the Wii U wasn't offering anything new to entice casual gamers. Why would the casual gamer buy a Wii U if they are already happy playing free games on their IPADs?

The only people buying the Wii U is Nintendo's core fanbase which is estimated at around 20 million in total. Does it really make sense for Nintendo to continue to make consoles that will only appeal to those 20 million Nintendo fans?

Again, not everyone is into handhelds (which I bring up due to the statements of most of their attention, and most of their money being made there), so they would have to. Even if their consoles sell less than those, it's still pretty vital.

#24 Edited by emgesp (2154 posts) -
@nintendoboy16 said:

@emgesp said:

@DocSanchez:

Again, not everyone is into handhelds (which I bring up due to the statements of most of their attention, and most of their money being made there), so they would have to. Even if their consoles sell less than those, it's still pretty vital.

But does it make business sense for Nintendo to make home consoles that only appeal to the Nintendo core fan base?

Gamecube sold 21 million units and yet it was still considered a failure, so obviously Nintendo can't rely on those 21 million Nintendo fans alone.

#25 Posted by Lucianu (9449 posts) -

The WiiU will just live though the generation garnering Gamecube sales, and as with the other two companies, they'll release a new console 7 - 10 years from now, if the market can sustain them. Nintendo has a cushion produced by the DS, Wii & the continuously succesful 3DS they can fall on.

With so many good games on lock @ the end of 2014, i couldn't give a fvck how much it sells if it keeps gathering exclusives at the steady pace it does currently. I'll play multiplats on my PC.

#26 Edited by emgesp (2154 posts) -
@Lucianu said:

The WiiU will just live though the generation garnering Gamecube sales, and as with the other two companies, they'll release a new console 7 - 10 years from now, if the market can sustain them. Nintendo has a cushion produced by the DS, Wii & the continuously succesful 3DS they can fall on.

With so many good games on lock @ the end of 2014, i couldn't give a fvck how much it sells if it keeps gathering exclusives at the steady pace it does currently. I'll play multiplats on my PC.

If the Wii U fails to pickup some serious steam by the end of 2014 then it would be in Nintendo's best interest to get a new console ready to launch within 5 yrs time. No way would Nintendo wait a full 7 yrs before releasing a successor to the Wii U.

#27 Posted by DocSanchez (1651 posts) -

@emgesp: Slippery slope though. It will once again get the jump on Sony and Microsoft, but then it will once again be obsolete when the new consoles come out and miss out on the third party, further alienating them,

They released early with the wii u, failed to capitalise at all, and are about to be rendered obsolete once again. I doubt releasing too early is a strategy they will jump to any time soon.

#28 Edited by Lucianu (9449 posts) -

@emgesp said:
@Lucianu said:

If the Wii U fails to pickup some serious steam by the end of 2014 then it would be in Nintendo's best interest to get a new console ready to launch within 5 yrs time. No way would Nintendo wait a full 7 yrs before releasing a successor to the Wii U.

I don't think it's possible for the WiiU not to sell better than it does currently, because by the end of 2014 it'll have Mario Kart 8 & Super Smash Bros.

Though what might happen is all a matter of supposition, i just don't see them releasing another console earlier rather than letting the WiiU live its generation. We'll know for sure in 5 years.

#29 Posted by 35cent (916 posts) -

Of course they will. They would just change their philosophy if the Wii U ends up being a failure.

#30 Edited by KBFloYd (13840 posts) -

@emgesp said:

But does it make business sense for Nintendo to make home consoles that only appeal to the Nintendo core fan base?

Gamecube sold 21 million units and yet it was still considered a failure, so obviously Nintendo can't rely on those 21 million Nintendo fans alone.

but they tapped a new market with the wii....

they have 100million fanbase....they just have to make an effort to reach out to them again..

they tried going for gamers these past 8 months...and now they are trying to go to their wii fanbase with titles like wii sports club, wiifit, sonic mario at olympics wiipartyU

japan is getting new bundles this holiday...they come with wiifit/wiiuparty/and new super mario bros.....perfect casual bundle plus mario.

@VERTIGO47 said:

laughing stock to you maybe lol...nintendo are the kings of gamming.

#32 Edited by TheKingIAm (985 posts) -

@nintendoboy16: If Nintengodno has so much money, then why couldn't they use that money towards making a competitive console? They can afford afford to ride out 2 failed gens but can't afford to make a console worth a damn?

#33 Posted by KBFloYd (13840 posts) -

@TheKingIAm said:

@nintendoboy16: If Nintengodno has so much money, then why couldn't they use that money towards making a competitive console? They can afford afford to ride out 2 failed gens but can't afford to make a console worth a damn?

n64 outsold the saturn...

gamceube was the only failed gen.

#34 Edited by TheKingIAm (985 posts) -

@KBFloYd: No, you sheep keep saying that Nintengodno has enough cash to ride out a failed wii eww gen and a next gen failed gen because they can afford it

#35 Edited by KBFloYd (13840 posts) -

@TheKingIAm said:

@KBFloYd: No, you sheep keep saying that Nintengodno has enough cash to ride out a failed wii eww gen and a next gen failed gen because they can afford it

nintendo already made a console worth a damn with the n64 and gamecube....they realized have 3 identical consoles doesnt get great sales...unless youre sony.

so nintendo want to make their systems different while not making it too expensive so they dont go out of business like sega.

nintendo can afford some failed gens because they dont make their systems super expensive.

#36 Edited by Shottayouth13- (6810 posts) -
@emgesp said:

@Shottayouth13- said:

I never said one failure would put Nintendo out of business. I simply asked if they would make another home console after the Wii U if it ends up failing. Nintendo can't keep making home consoles with the same traditional mindset. It just won't work anymore. They are just setting themselves up for failure if they aren't willing to change.

Nintendo has been around for 124 years, long before video games were a thing, before Microsoft, before Sony.

If there's one company that knows how to adapt, it's them.They aren't going anywhere.

They will change when they see it fit to change.

#37 Posted by lamprey263 (24225 posts) -

they can wait like 3 after the Xbox One and PS4 release, come out with an affordable more powerful console by then, and become popular by being technologically superior... then an ugly cycle of companies doing this will ensue for years

not going to really matter much, Nintendo is behind on so many more features, have no unified or transferable rights system and the systems they do have are complicated or protect against theft, and are at a snails crawl when it comes to releasing digital content

Nintendo will either go third party for console games or try to survive off the their portables

#38 Posted by CleanPlayer (9822 posts) -

I don't see Nintendo dropping out of the console race, but hopefully they'll try harder with producing games the hardcore crowd wants. I can't complain though because they have been killing it with 3DS

#39 Edited by magicalclick (22845 posts) -

They have to build another console. Their games cannot survive the 3rd party market. I am not saying their games are bad, they are actually very very good. But, people loves blind love for 1st party games. And their games requires specific hardware to bring different experiences. Other console would not help them achieving that. And parents buying Nintendo console don't have worry about their kids screaming they want to rob a bank in GTA5. Nintendo console is the perfect compromise for kids to have something play.

#40 Posted by TheKingIAm (985 posts) -

@KBFloYd: But the wii eww is overpriced especially considering its last gen specs. Nintengodno can be competitive and different without handicapping their hardware.

#41 Edited by ActicEdge (24492 posts) -

@TheKingIAm said:

@KBFloYd: But the wii eww is overpriced especially considering its last gen specs. Nintengodno can be competitive and different without handicapping their hardware.

They pretty much have to handicap their hardware to be competitive. Nintendo systems are far more price sensitive than Sony or MS systems because a large part of the buying base is families and they don't want to blow large chunks of money. What Nintendo should be going for is the best hardware they can get that will allow support of next gen engines but not blow the bank wide open since they have a ton of other features they need to incorporate these days. They need something to set them apart besides hardware though. Trying to do another gamecube will not win them any points (like real points not points from the 12 people on SW with no business sense) in the long run.

#42 Posted by foxhound_fox (88755 posts) -

Considering they have likely made a profit at this point, there is no way the Wii U could "flop".

#43 Edited by anab0lic (273 posts) -

Honestly i feel like they are maybe better off being a software only company...because thats where they REALLY excel.. and working alongside either sony or microsoft or....maybe even steambox?...but only if it means they have complete control over the games they produce and we dont end up with QTE and cutscenes all over mario games... For now though i will keep buying their hardware because i cant get the same fun experience some of their games give anywhere else.

#44 Posted by emgesp (2154 posts) -

@KBFloYd:

@KBFloYd said:

@emgesp said:

but they tapped a new market with the wii....

they have 100million fanbase....they just have to make an effort to reach out to them again..

they tried going for gamers these past 8 months...and now they are trying to go to their wii fanbase with titles like wii sports club, wiifit, sonic mario at olympics wiipartyU

japan is getting new bundles this holiday...they come with wiifit/wiiuparty/and new super mario bros.....perfect casual bundle plus mario.

@VERTIGO47 said:

laughing stock to you maybe lol...nintendo are the kings of gamming.

Majority of those 100 million were casuals that quickly dropped that console for IPADs and other mobile devices. Again, it was a fluke. Unless Nintendo can build a product that can go head to head with Apple then you won't see those casuals coming back.

Like I said before Nintendo can only count on the 21 million Nintendo loyalists right now. The only other demographic they have a chance to gain back is the hardcore gamer. All Nintendo has to do is build a console that truly competes with Sony and Microsoft's consoles. The most important thing they need to fix is their lack of third-party support. They also need to start creating new IP that is geared more towards the hardcore gamer. They can still keep making Mario and Zelda games, but its time for them to evolve.

#45 Edited by lundy86_4 (43547 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

Considering they have likely made a profit at this point, there is no way the Wii U could "flop".

Have to agree. It's a decent console, from the looks of it.

#46 Edited by KBFloYd (13840 posts) -

@emgesp said:

@KBFloYd:

Majority of those 100 million were casuals that quickly dropped that console for IPADs and other mobile devices. Again, it was a fluke. Unless Nintendo can build a product that can go head to head with Apple then you won't see those casuals coming back.

Like I said before Nintendo can only count on the 21 million Nintendo loyalists right now. The only other demographic they have a chance to gain back is the hardcore gamer. All Nintendo has to do is build a console that truly competes with Sony and Microsoft's consoles. The most important thing they need to fix is their lack of third-party support. They also need to start creating new IP that is geared more towards the hardcore gamer. They can still keep making Mario and Zelda games, but its time for them to evolve.

no the casuals always buy consoles.either for kids or parties or just to play movies.. thats why ps1 sold 100million and ps2 sold 152million..

nintendo just has to prove the have the best console for having social fun or fitness work out...make it popular and casuals will buy it.

#47 Edited by emgesp (2154 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@emgesp said:

@KBFloYd:

no the casuals always buy consoles.either for kids or parties or just to play movies.. thats why ps1 sold 100million and ps2 sold 152million..

nintendo just has to prove the have the best console for having social fun or fitness work out...make it popular and casuals will buy it.

Sure, some casuals will buy consoles, but most have moved on and now play their IPADs now. The PS1 and PS2 sold well because of its games and price, not because of casuals.

Casuals only bought the original Wii because of the motion controls and price. There is nothing about the Wii U that will entice the casuals to get on board. Nintendo thought that having a touchscreen on the controller would do it, but the problem is these casuals are happy with their IPADS. Why pay another $299 when you already have a device that has touchscreen controls and has much cheaper games to boot?

#48 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -

Unfortunately they will.

GC flopped and then came wii..

#49 Posted by 2Chalupas (5157 posts) -

What do you mean *IF* the Wii-U flops?

Wii-U has flopped.

I do believe they will try again in a few years.

#50 Posted by emgesp (2154 posts) -

@campzor said:

Unfortunately they will.

GC flopped and then came wii..

No, they just need to be successful like the SNES was. You know a lot of the Sony fanboys used to be die hard Nintendo fanboys once upon a time. The reason why the N64 didn't sell as well as the PS1 was because of price, launch date and most importantly a lack of strong third party support. So, just remember, in the heart of every 25+ yr old Sony fanboy is an old school Nintendo fanboy. I would love for Nintendo to win me back as a customer, but they have failed for the past 3 generations.