Will Nintendo ever have a console as special as NES/SNES?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

I'm talking about when the gaming world used to revolve around Nintendo and all of the games we refer to as classics were on a Nintendo machine. Will the next generation have a Nintendo console to revere as much as as the NES/SNES? Or will Nintendo be just referred to as a third party console maker? I ask because I wonder what the future holds for Nintendo. Maybe SW will enlighten me. And maybe freedomfreak will post a funny gif.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

No.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22670 Posts

No, but it's not because it's not possible, it's because Nintendo would never allow it to happen...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Well, there was the N64 and Gamecube.

But no, the NES and SNES were pioneering consoles. They laid down the foundation for the modern gaming industry, they defined how it would be, and what it would be. No other consoles, by definition, Nintendo or otherwise, will be 'special' like those two were.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I doubt any console maker will, those were interesting times for the industry. Graphics jumps were huge, new genres were emerging, developers had only scratched the surface on older genres.. it was just an exciting time for gaming and Nintendo happened to be on top of it.

It was more about the times than it was about Nintendo.

You had Nintendos great 1st party output, plus companies like Capcom, Konami, Square and countless others putting out some of their best work. Unless Nintendo manages to get the entire 3rd party arm of the industry on their side again, we'll never see a Nintendo console like those. And even if they did, it wouldn't really be the same. The gaming landscape is an entirely different beast now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

No other systems have achieved or will achieve this.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Not if they keep going in the direction they are going...

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@TheEroica said:

No, but it's not because it's not possible, it's because Nintendo would never allow it to happen...

Pretty much. AT any point in time I firmly believe nintendo could go all out make make any system must own. Instead they sprinkle their ideas and Ip's slowly across their hardware to make sure that you always by their next platform.

Avatar image for thecouchpotater
TheCouchPotater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheCouchPotater
Member since 2015 • 239 Posts

I think anyone who has lived through the era and was an active console gamer in the 80s and early 90s knows that the answer to the TCs question is "no".

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Lol **** no, the NES and SNES had amazing third party support. Nintendo and third party is some mythical unicorn system at this point.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Nope. Nintendo is the Apple of video gaming for good or bad. But in other words, they'll never be as popular again unless Nintendo pulls a complete 180 in mentality.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

just make a powerful console so third parties support you and release the tried and tested classics of each gen and bam. u got it

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I'd say the N64 will be remembered as having a more profound effect, on games, than the snes. NES and N64 laid the groundwork for future games.

Personally I think the industry will implode at some point. No entertainment arena remains the most popular forever. When sales die down and companies can no longer nickel and dime people--or it isn't worth it anymore--some will leave the industry and it will eventually revert back to a more niche market with enthusiast machines. It is here that Nintendo will succeed again with possibly some newcomers.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Never. Nintendo is too stubborn and refuses to change. They are still living in the 90's making 90's games. They do not have the talent to make games with current standards. I don't think they even know what "AI" actually is.

As for their systems, they don't understand the rest of the world. They live in their little bubble in Japan. They clearly have no understanding of the North American, European or Worldwide markets. They have no idea how to market their consoles outside of Japan. Their commercials in North America are proof. They are cringeworthy.

Unless the old stockholders die out and they hire some young blood to bring their company out of the 90's, they will never truly succeed again.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

No. This is one part due to Nintendo's stubbornness and lousy third party support, and another part is due to the fact the NES and SNES were systems which broke ground on uncharted territory. Future systems won't have the same opportunity.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

I'm talking about when the gaming world used to revolve around Nintendo and all of the games we refer to as classics were on a Nintendo machine. Will the next generation have a Nintendo console to revere as much as as the NES/SNES? Or will Nintendo be just referred to as a third party console maker? I ask because I wonder what the future holds for Nintendo. Maybe SW will enlighten me. And maybe freedomfreak will post a funny gif.

To me Ninty consoles after SNES have been more special than PS ones after PS1/PS2, still.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Not without a serious attitude adjustment. Nintendo's currently mired and slogging through a mentality which is doing them no favors. Until they have a total cleaning out of their upper management, nothing will really change. This probably is never going to happen, so I really don't hold out much hope for them. Sad to see for a company with such immense talent.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Nes and Snes had power, innovation, the best 1st party games and full 3rd party support. Nintendo were full of new IPs and constantly topped themselves.

Their current systems lack power, lack innovation (a tablet controller their games dont use doesn't count), have some quality 1st party titles but a lot of meh and rehashes, and no 3rd party.

While technically possible, modern Nintendo will never come close to matching the Nes or Snes again.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

The next one that come with ROB. :o

N64 was the most special if ya ask me since Sega MS & Genesis > NES & SNES. :P

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#20 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

The wii came so yes it's possible

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

I dont think any company will ever top the NES/SNES.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Genesis and SNES I can go back and fourth on. NES though I often think as the best console out there--even above the snes/genesis. Strictly out of curiousity what is it about the Mastersystem that makes you think this?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

@Heirren said:
@SecretPolice said:

Genesis and SNES I can go back and fourth on. NES though I often think as the best console out there--even above the snes/genesis. Strictly out of curiousity what is it about the Mastersystem that makes you think this?

hehe, well, I was always more of a Sega fan ya know, King of the Arcades and all. It's really hard after all these years to recall all the games I liked on the MS but I dunno, Alex Kid, Wonder Boy, After Burner, Shinobi, Ecco, Double Dragon, Out Run, Hang On etc. Like I said, I was a huge fan of Sega's arcade games and always wanted to play them on a home console.

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Captainqwark10
Member since 2011 • 1170 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

I don't know what alternate reality you're from, but pretty sure the genesis prevented the world from revolving around nintendo.

@locopatho said:

Nes and Snes had power, innovation, the best 1st party games and full 3rd party support. Nintendo were full of new IPs and constantly topped themselves.

Their current systems lack power, lack innovation (a tablet controller their games dont use doesn't count), have some quality 1st party titles but a lot of meh and rehashes, and no 3rd party.

While technically possible, modern Nintendo will never come close to matching the Nes or Snes again.

Nes didn't really have power per se.

@thecouchpotater said:

I think anyone who has lived through the era and was an active console gamer in the 80s and early 90s knows that the answer to the TCs question is "no".

Nah I'd take the Gamecube over the SNES, TP games on the SNES have mostly aged like a fine shit. Same with Genesis TP games, although oddly, more genesis TP games are playable.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@Captainqwark10:

It had more power than Atari, colecovision, etc though and was able to run Zelda and Mario 3, games beyond any other console of the time.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

No

And neither will Sony or Microsoft

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

3rd party support is what made those consoles special. Same reason the Nintendo handhelds are always the only ones that are viable.

TheCouchPotater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheCouchPotater

@Captainqwark10 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

I don't know what alternate reality you're from, but pretty sure the genesis prevented the world from revolving around nintendo.

@thecouchpotater said:

Nah I'd take the Gamecube over the SNES, TP games on the SNES have mostly aged like a fine shit. Same with Genesis TP games, although oddly, more genesis TP games are playable.

You may have personally preferred the Gamecube to the earlier Nintendo console offerings, but the fact remains that it was not "special" in the same way as the NES (and to a lesser extent SNES). By the time the Gamecube rolled around, the term "Nintendo" was no longer being used by those outside of gaming culture as a synonym for "videogame", which I think is telling. I'm sure that more than a few older posters had grandparents or parents who referred to their games (regardless of platform) as "Nintendo tapes". Not unlike how one may ask for a "Kleenex" when they want a tissue. That's "special" in a way that will not be recaptured by any console manufacturer, in my opinion.

That's not to say that later Nintendo products were not "better", I'm sure arguments could be made to that effect. And I think it's safe to say that younger gamers would probably have more fond memories of later systems. For example, I imagine someone in their mid twenties would probably have pretty strong nostalgia for N64 and Gamecube, being that they would've been in the 6-12 year old demographic when those systems were current.

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Captainqwark10

@thecouchpotater said:
@Captainqwark10 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

@thecouchpotater said:

You may have personally preferred the Gamecube to the earlier Nintendo console offerings, but the fact remains that it was not "special" in the same way as the NES (and to a lesser extent SNES). By the time the Gamecube rolled around, the term "Nintendo" was no longer being used by those outside of gaming culture as a synonym for "videogame", which I think is telling. I'm sure that more than a few older posters had grandparents or parents who referred to their games (regardless of platform) as "Nintendo tapes". Not unlike how one may ask for a "Kleenex" when they want a tissue. That's "special" in a way that will not be recaptured by any console manufacturer, in my opinion.

That's not to say that later Nintendo products were not "better", I'm sure arguments could be made to that effect. And I think it's safe to say that younger gamers would probably have more fond memories of later systems. For example, I imagine someone in their mid twenties would probably have pretty strong nostalgia for N64 and Gamecube, being that they would've been in the 6-12 year old demographic when those systems were current.

The term Nintendo was used as an Syn for gaming when the Genesis was out. Japan was the only place that was still a thing at that point. Also using subjective and calling them fact.

Also this is a poor argument for "special".

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

@TheEroica said:

This

TheCouchPotater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheCouchPotater

@Captainqwark10: You're right, I did use the word "fact". You got me! I'm sure that completely invalidates the thrust of my post.

You're also correct in reiterating my bit about "Nintendo" being used as a synonym for videogame when the Genesis was out (as well as the TG-16, Master System, and every other console which was current during the era)... that was sort of the point. However, you are incorrect in stating that this was only a thing in Japan. I'm speaking from my experience here in the United States. I'm guessing maybe you were elsewhere at the time (UK?) or too young to remember.

If you don't see how the strength and ubiquity of the Nintendo brand name (ie. the Kleenex analogy) in the 80s and early 90s relates to the TCs question about "special" Nintendo consoles, then I don't know what else to tell you. There have been books written on the subject, go check one out! :-)

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Captainqwark10

@thecouchpotater said:

@Captainqwark10: You're right, I did use the word "fact". You got me! I'm sure that completely invalidates the thrust of my post.

You're also correct in reiterating my bit about "Nintendo" being used as a synonym for videogame when the Genesis was out (as well as the TG-16, Master System, and every other console which was current during the era)... that was sort of the point. However, you are incorrect in stating that this was only a thing in Japan. I'm speaking from my experience here in the United States. I'm guessing maybe you were elsewhere at the time (UK?) or too young to remember.

If you don't see how the strength and ubiquity of the Nintendo brand name (ie. the Kleenex analogy) in the 80s and early 90s relates to the TCs question about "special" Nintendo consoles, then I don't know what else to tell you. There have been books written on the subject, go check one out! :-)

Actually uh no you're wrong about everything

Genesis was the head consoles in the U.S. in the early 90's till the mid 90's. Nintendo only had late 80's for it's "special" period (which is a very dumb way of trying to spin opinion as fact), there's no spin or me being elsewhere you just have no clue what you're talking about.

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Captainqwark10

Heck I can use this logic on the Wii, but of course that would just kill the argument.

TheCouchPotater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheCouchPotater

@Captainqwark10 said:
@thecouchpotater said:

Actually uh no you're wrong about everything

Genesis was the head consoles in the U.S. in the early 90's till the mid 90's. Nintendo only had late 80's for it's "special" period (which is a very dumb way of trying to spin opinion as fact), there's no spin or me being elsewhere you just have no clue what you're talking about.

No clue what I'm talking about, huh? It sounds like you're taking my posts personally, please don't. Did I suggest that Sega was not selling more consoles than Nintendo by the early to mid 90s (I was a giant Sega fan at the time)? No. If anything that fact only strengthens my point, which was that low information consumers were still using "Nintendo" as a synonym for videogame through the early 90s. That should say something for how ubiquitous Nintendo was at the time. This ubiquity was in part due to how "special" their early consoles were, which was in part due to the conditions of the industry at the time and Nintendo's own marketing and design choices.

By the way, I did qualify my statements in my previous post with "in my opinion"... this isn't a court of law. Even if it were, your rebuttals are essentially limited to reiterating what I said and then adding "you're wrong".

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

The WiiU.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

@93BlackHawk93 said:

No.

nope

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

No, Nintendo as gaming company is dying

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

No. SNES set the bar, was the bar. Hasn't been surpassed. **** the PS2. Nintendo seem to be in a pit on their own. I hope they finally start competing. Really do.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

The last real console they made was the Gamecube. Been nothing but gimmicks since then.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#40 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts
@charizard1605 said:

Well, there was the N64 and Gamecube.

But no, the NES and SNES were pioneering consoles. They laid down the foundation for the modern gaming industry, they defined how it would be, and what it would be. No other consoles, by definition, Nintendo or otherwise, will be 'special' like those two were.

This

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

No console maker will make a console that will equal the NES and SNES. How can you top resurrecting the videogame industry and somehow topping that? The NES and SNES will never be repeated by any console maker again. Wii came close but even Wii couldn't top it.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

I doubt any console maker will, those were interesting times for the industry. Graphics jumps were huge, new genres were emerging, developers had only scratched the surface on older genres.. it was just an exciting time for gaming and Nintendo happened to be on top of it.

It was more about the times than it was about Nintendo.

You had Nintendos great 1st party output, plus companies like Capcom, Konami, Square and countless others putting out some of their best work. Unless Nintendo manages to get the entire 3rd party arm of the industry on their side again, we'll never see a Nintendo console like those. And even if they did, it wouldn't really be the same. The gaming landscape is an entirely different beast now.

Well said.