Will MS get rekt because of Nintendo NX?

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Judging by how many units it's projected to ship, I'd say that's likely.

NX is going to be new, fresh and powerful, and once it will take off, I think the Xbone might get left in the dust.

I think that whatever market share shift it will cause, it's gonna be detrimental to X1 the most.

What do you think?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

I think we barely know anything about the NX and it could be yet another Nintendo-flop instead of going 3rd party already.

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

MS gets rekt even without the NX.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

I dont think so, i think they will all sell about the same.

dino7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dino7c
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts

people are putting a lot of faith in Nintendo...time will tell but I am assuming their console will be some kinda gimmick

handheld/console hybrid doesn't seem like what they should be making

All they need to do is make a console with a normal controller and good hardware but I doubt they do it

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts

Microsoft is getting rekt by the far superior Playstation 4, it has no place in the console market, their xbox brand isn't needed. The entire xbox brand should be sold off and leave room for another competitor.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@AgentA-Mi6 said:

Microsoft is getting rekt by the far superior Playstation 4, it has no place in the console market, their xbox brand isn't needed. The entire xbox brand should be sold off and leave room for another competitor.

Spoken like a true fanboy.......an idiot fanboy but a fanboy none the less.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: could very well be. It'll begin gen nine and we'll have to see what Nintendo have learned and changed as a result of the financial failure of WiiU.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@AgentA-Mi6: Yet the console industry is better without Sony as well

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#10 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

@kingtito: of course his preference should be the rule for the free marketplace lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@AgentA-Mi6 said:

Tell me, what does Sony offer that no competitor does?

Any of these s*itty companies could leave and the gaming world would continue unharmed.

dino7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dino7c
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts

Xbone is selling well...PS4 is selling better but nobody is getting "rekt"

Its funny how these forms and the real world are so different...people love these consoles and are buying them up in massive numbers. Nintendo with decent hardware would do well no doubt but lets wait and see.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Too many unknowns.

NX could take a bite out of both Sony and MS if it is a "next gen" system with better promised 3rd party support (by next gen, I mean at least half-way between gen 8 and gen 9 and getting all multiplats at parity or better vs. PS4). In that unlikely scenario, Xbox One would be doomed and even PS4 might start to struggle a bit as the gen winds down.

If the NX is underpowered or going for another gimmick, then the competition will continue to be between MS and Sony as it's been for 5+ years now. I expect the latter scenario, though I would hope for Nintendo's sake they don't completely blow it again with the hardware plan.

skullcavity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By skullcavity
Member since 2015 • 153 Posts

I can't see The NX outselling the XBOX ONE, but Nintendo has created their own niche market a long time ago, and I believe that's how the NX will survive.

Nintendo is in a difficult position though, my guess is that they've been developing this console since the launch of the PS4 & XBOX ONE in order to design a stronger console, but Sony & Microsoft's next consoles are rumored to launch in 2018. So, if that's true, Nintendo needs a hook that'll make the NX standout from the competition in order for it to survive.

EDIT: I also think they should open up themselves to 3rd party developers by adding some features that would interest them.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46255 Posts

NX is going to rek MS and Sony so hard.

People will regret laughing at WiiU

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

If the NX were to indeed be a true generational step up with third party games, a proper online infrastructure, and Nintendo's own backing? Yeah, I could see MS suffering more than Sony in that case.

Will NX actually be all that? Who knows at this point.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@kingtito said:
@AgentA-Mi6 said:

Spoken like a true fanboy.......an idiot fanboy but a fanboy none the less.

Lol, yep. Well said.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

No, Nintendo will stuff it up as usual.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I think those with a Xbox One and PS4 are going to go "oh look, it has the same games I can get on my current system, why spend $350 on a new system to play the same games?".

Wii U owners are going to go "so they're launching the NX with Star Fox and Legend of Zelda, both games I can get on the Wii U, why spend the extra $350 on a new system to play the same games?".

It's the Wii U all over again. I mean they tried making something third parties will make games for and that's what happened, their line-up was basically "oh look, stuff you can already play on my PS3 and Xbox 360, why spend $350 on a new system to play the same games?"

If MS loses support for the X1 it'll be by their own doing, don't give Nintendo too much credit there.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Fingers crossed.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

I think so.

caryslan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 caryslan2
Member since 2005 • 2486 Posts

I love how some people ignore Gamespot's news section when they post threads like this.

Namely, the story that says that the Xbox One and PS4 are two of the top 5 electronics sold during Black Friday.

Or the fact that the same article brings up the point that Xbox One bundles have been sold out.

Look, I won't argue that the PS4 is selling better then the Xbox One, but some of the fanboy blinders around here are rather funny. Some people act like the Xbox One has sold worse then the 3D0 and Jaguar combined, and Halo 5 barely moved 5,000 units.

Both the Xbox One and PS4 are popular systems, why can't we leave it at that?

KillOnSight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#24 KillOnSight
Member since 2015 • 458 Posts

I dont think Nintendo has ever or will ever give a **** about the xbox.. Im not expecting a powerhouse puppet with ea and activision pulling the strings and im not expecting them to suddenly shift focus to immitating movie blockbusters or overly serious competitive fps.

What i am expecting is some moderately priced hardware, a crossbuy platform, a thunderous marketing campaign and a formidable Japanese lineup.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

Has it ever been this important for a console manu' to really nail their hardware coming up to a gen? I feel like if they don't get it right they could be further bury themselves in 3rd place, not just sales but general market share.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I mean, I hope the NX is awesome.

But if I had to bet on a company getting rekt by the NX right now, it would be Nintendo themselves.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-58ce94803a170

@skullcavity said:

I can't see The NX outselling the XBOX ONE, but Nintendo has created their own niche market a long time ago, and I believe that's how the NX will survive.

Nintendo is in a difficult position though, my guess is that they've been developing this console since the launch of the PS4 & XBOX ONE in order to design a stronger console, but Sony & Microsoft's next consoles are rumored to launch in 2018. So, if that's true, Nintendo needs a hook that'll make the NX standout from the competition in order for it to survive.

EDIT: I also think they should open up themselves to 3rd party developers by adding some features that would interest them.

If PS5 and Xbox Two release in 2018, then Nintendo will have accomplished a great feat. With how weak the consoles are, NX could force their hand, this would make the fans upset and cause third party to develop for new systems and old. Of course this is not a big deal, but for a bunch, this is a no no.

Nintendo can do this cause the market is demanding it from them, but when Microsoft and Sony does something the market doesnt demand, major backlash comes forth. This would further help NX in my opinion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#28 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58911 Posts

The fear is that it takes on board the wort's of it's competitors.

kingsfan_0333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kingsfan_0333
Member since 2006 • 1878 Posts

Competing directly with MS and Sony would be the worst move Nintendo could make. Making cartoonish games that are fun to play is their niche. If they want to stray outside of that, they'll fail massively.

However if they still within their niche, I still won't be interested. Couldn't care less about a next-gen version of Splatoon.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@kratosyoloswag said:

MS gets rekt even without the NX.

^ ^ This.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@misterpmedia: It was pretty important for Nintendo to get the Wii right, after the relative disaster of the Gamecube (even though the Gamecube was an awesome system).

They didn't exactly get the Wii right, actually it kind of sucked, but hey - it hit a sweet spot with casuals and soccer moms. So sales wise, it was a huge success for them. Unfortunately, I think the success the Wii had early in it's life is what set the table for the failure that Nintendo has become today.

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 babyjoker1221
Member since 2015 • 1313 Posts

If the NX ends up being a proper console in terms of power, and 3rd party support... I would expect that any marketshare it gains would mostly come at Sony's expense, not MS's.

A NX console with 3rd party, and on equal footing with current gen consoles power is going to have a lot more in common with the PS4 vs the XB1.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#33 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

@MBirdy88: kinda wish that would happen. Then we'd just have game developers making games for pc and a steam machine type thing would be an awesome new console instead of gimmicks and exclusivity.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

I think MS will announce a new console the year NX launches, and release said console the following year. Will have to be completely BC to Xbox One off the rip to work games and controller wise and have more power than NX and PS4.

Then all the consoles are gonna be fucked cause they will have year gaps or more between each other. Next gen is gonna be a mess IMO

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Nintendo would have to first get past the possibility of wrecking themselves. If they actually pull off a great console with a solid online infrastructure, and a wide selection of third-party games, then they may give MS some cause for concern... Xbox is pretty well embedded as a great third-party/okay first-party brand, so I doubt they'll be all that worried.

hailofarrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By hailofarrows
Member since 2011 • 35 Posts

So I know this is kind of an unanswerable question (unless someone has an in at Nintendo) and this may not be the right place to post this question but I'm just wondering about the general consensus, if there is one.

I just picked up the Splatoon - SSB Wii U bundle on Black Friday for $250. It was truly an impulse buy; I was there, they had them in stock, I like SSB, boom.

But now I'm wondering if I should return it in light of the NX coming out in what's rumored to be less than a year's time. Truly, the only released games I'm eyeing for the Wii U are Splatoon, SSB, Bayonetta 2, & Xenoblade Chronicles X. Of course, if a new Zelda or Mario comes out, I'd swoop those up, too.

But the NX is backwards compatible then the Wii U will truly become a relic and $250 wasted dollars.

So should I hold onto this thing or return it? Thanks in advance for any opinions.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

How do we know if very little is known about the NX?

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Judging by how many units it's projected to ship, I'd say that's likely.

NX is going to be new, fresh and powerful, and once it will take off, I think the Xbone might get left in the dust.

I think that whatever market share shift it will cause, it's gonna be detrimental to X1 the most.

What do you think?

If NX gets all the third party titles then yes Microsoft should be slightly worried, but if the NX is just another Mario box then its just gonna flop like the Wii U.

SonySoldier-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SonySoldier-_-
Member since 2012 • 1186 Posts

Well this is basically Nintendo's second console in one generation.

Microsoft and Sony's next gen consoles will probably be out in a few years so I'm sure they can hold out.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#40 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Remember when Nintendo thought they were going to have sold 9m Wii Us and instead hit 2.7m?

Maybe we should table this topic until there's something substantive about NX to discuss.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@AgentA-Mi6 said:

wow..and here i thought you grew up abit.

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts

@lawlessx said:
@AgentA-Mi6 said:

I'd take Half a Sega over DRM pushing fraud xbox, it truly deserves to bite the dust. Microsoft already showed their true colors, Sony forced the current xbox design without the always online and BS DRM.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

MS rekt itself.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#44 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@misterpmedia: Nintendo themselves with the DS and Wii. Sega with the Dreamcast.

Scary thought, really.

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

Cant see the NX doing well at all, especially after the success of the Wii to the failure of the Wii U. Even if you see how badly (only bad compared to PS4) MS are doing with the XBO, its still outselling the 360 year on year. Nintendo arent the powerhouse it used to be, they dont have the image or pulling power compared to MS/Sony

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

@AgentA-Mi6 said:
@lawlessx said:
@AgentA-Mi6 said:

I'd take Half a Sega over DRM pushing fraud xbox, it truly deserves to bite the dust. Microsoft already showed their true colors, Sony forced the current xbox design without the always online and BS DRM.

But MS forced Sony into the design of the PS4 due to Sony creating a difficult to program, expensive (2 jobs), shit online infracture but that different isnt it?

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Both will continue to get rekt by the PS4.

Desprado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Desprado
Member since 2015 • 60 Posts

It will be the final nail in the coffin for Xbox brand. that is for sure There will be stupid excuses from their fanboys and MS to justify there failure but normal wont care about it.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#49 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

i haven't bought any current gen systems because they look awful. But if the nx has a good Donkey Kong Country i'm gonna buy one for sure.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Yams1980: Your missing out on Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, its the best one.