Will MMO's finally hit it the big time?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

Poll Will MMO's finally hit it the big time? (26 votes)

This generation MMO's will do it! Yeeeeee. 15%
Still a pc thing 73%
This is a bonus option 12%

My friends, last generation, it was attempted. A few half dozen MMO's popped up on console. However, sadly, it never had it's "world of warcrafts" moment. Is this the generation in which MMO's become big on consoles?

• 
Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Maybe since online is what they seem to be pushing. Though I think your going to see a blur in the idea of what an MMO is considered to be at this very moment. They are ever so slowly trying to convince people simple online games are MMO's and i'm sure they'll succeed at it, because people just have far too short of a memory.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

i wonder if any mmo will surpass WOW.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

MMO's are a big waste of time.

The market has changed and we are working more, we need games that don't require so much time to be invested to feel satisfied.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

The market has changed and we are working more, we need games that don't require so much time to be invested to feel satisfied.

Seems like you havn't played any new mmo....or even the revamped WoW.

You no longer need to spend hours a day raiding. They can be played very casually (in terms of time spent, the skill cap is still higher than nearly all console titles).

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jankarcop

Why would being successful on consoles finally make MMO big-time when WoW already has more concurrent users than any console title?

Several MMO's are already "big time" without being on console.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I thought they already where?

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CrownKingArthur
@pelvist said:

I thought they already where?

i consider WOW one of the craziest successes in gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

I dont get your angel.... why is an endless game a waste of time? to me a 10 hour game that ends is more of a waste of time.

They can be quite competitive, complex and have lots of little things to do. what is a game if not a time waster?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

MMOs already hit it big time

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

MMOs are for basement dwelling hermits or others without lives.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

For some reason you think new generations are not born anymore. Yeah we were kids and now have a job and less time but there are still kids with too much time on their hands today too.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58929 Posts

My friends, I didn't ask if MMO's are for losers or a waste of time. You're so hate filled, I wish I could hug you.

Meteor7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 129

#13 Meteor7
Member since 2005 • 534 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:

Video gamez are for nerds, geeks, and basement dwellers.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I think they will and Destiny will open the doors.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

MMO's will never be as big as WoW during vanilla-Wotlk era.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#16  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I personally have zero interest in MMO's. I don't want to continuously pay to play a game, and I don't have an interest in sinking so many hours into a game just to progress. It's not that I don't like long games (JRPGs like Xenoblade rank among my favorite games) but there's a big difference between a game that takes seventy hours to totally finish and a game that takes seventy hours just to get things started. That being said, I can see the appeal I suppose. It gives people a lot of content to play through which can be nice. Although, again, I do not like the idea of paying monthly after an initial payment. Just... No.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 StrongBlackVine

@Meteor7 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

Video gamez are for nerds, geeks, and basement dwellers.

Nah just MMOs.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

Although, again, I do not like the idea of paying monthly after an initial payment. Just... No.

There's GW2, and all the F2P MMOs that don't require a monthly sub like LoTR.

TheShensolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheShensolidus
Member since 2013 • 224 Posts

MMOs on console have already been a big thing, they just don't really resemble their PC counterparts.

First, what do we define as an MMO? Are we talking about something like WoW or Guild Wars 2? Does it need to have a persistent world to be considered an MMO? All an 'MMO' is is Massively Multiplayer Online - and there are games with the username numbers to back up such a claim. Sure, shooters like BF or CoD don't have the persistent worlds, but they do have persistent progression.

Persistent worlds up to this point have had interesting challenges on consoles. You compare grouping up and tackling objectives with your friends in WoW to grouping up in Borderlands 2 on PS3/360, and even with the 360's streamlined party/invite system, its still a bit of a hassle to get in-game with your buddies. Grouping with friends in Borderlands 2 is much simpler on PC, and part of this is there are way more input options on KB & M, and systems that we see in WoW that facilitate match making and grouping can be simple to interact with thanks to the benefits of PC gaming.

In a weird way, contextualizing the 'community' and 'social' functions of an MMO has proven to be difficult on consoles, and they are execution and implementation problems that we will see addressed in the coming generation. As of right now, it seems many eyes are going to be on Destiny to see how they attempt to streamline MMO-like social systems on a console game.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@theshensolidus said:

MMOs on console have already been a big thing, they just don't really resemble their PC counterparts.

First, what do we define as an MMO? Are we talking about something like WoW or Guild Wars 2? Does it need to have a persistent world to be considered an MMO? All an 'MMO' is is Massively Multiplayer Online - and there are games with the username numbers to back up such a claim. Sure, shooters like BF or CoD don't have the persistent worlds, but they do have persistent progression.

Persistent worlds up to this point have had interesting challenges on consoles. You compare grouping up and tackling objectives with your friends in WoW to grouping up in Borderlands 2 on PS3/360, and even with the 360's streamlined party/invite system, its still a bit of a hassle to get in-game with your buddies. Grouping with friends in Borderlands 2 is much simpler on PC, and part of this is there are way more input options on KB & M, and systems that we see in WoW that facilitate match making and grouping can be simple to interact with thanks to the benefits of PC gaming.

In a weird way, contextualizing the 'community' and 'social' functions of an MMO has proven to be difficult on consoles, and they are execution and implementation problems that we will see addressed in the coming generation. As of right now, it seems many eyes are going to be on Destiny to see how they attempt to streamline MMO-like social systems on a console game.

When people say MMO it usually refers to MMORPG, if they mean other massively multiplayer games like Planetside 2 they will usually say MMOFPS

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@lostrib said:

MMOs already hit it big time

but TC hasn't

bfmv2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bfmv2007
Member since 2008 • 292 Posts

While I do think we will see quite a few MMO's on the PS4 and Xbox One, I still believe that PC will be the most active, and best version to get. As far as the PS4 goes I think we will see quite a few free to play MMO's. I'm pumped to see what Everquest Next will bring, but I'm also hoping for RIFT and Star Wars The Old Republic to make their way to consoles. And MMO's hit the big time back in 2004 with World Of Warcraft. WoW has always been my baby, and my most played game. I hope it never leaves PC's.

TheShensolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheShensolidus
Member since 2013 • 224 Posts

@lostrib said:

@theshensolidus said:

When people say MMO it usually refers to MMORPG, if they mean other massively multiplayer games like Planetside 2 they will usually say MMOFPS

But again, these are loose labels. Sure, the viewangle you play it from is First-Person, but Planetside 2 or CoD absolutely have RPG elements there. Skyrim is in first-person, but I wouldn't call it an FPS game.

bfmv2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bfmv2007
Member since 2008 • 292 Posts

@CrownKingArthur: Nope. Many have tried, many have failed, few have came close, but none have succeeded. WoW will always be THE MMO to play. How many other games still have millions of players 10 years after release. There's a reason no other MMO has ever topped WoW. Don't listen to people when they say WoW is bad now. Those are simply people that has played the game for years, and are tired of the MMO life and simply need a break. Take me for example. I played every day for 6 years straight. I was getting tired of WoW toward the end of Cataclysm, and really thought it was getting stale and boring, so I quit for a few months, and went to RIFT. That's when I realized, it wasn't just WoW, I was tired of MMO's in general. So I quit RIFT and had my MMO break, and I came back for MOP, and loved it again. I have taken another break since then, and will be coming back yet again the day WOD hits shelves. MMO's will never die out. Pay to play MMO's might not be so common in the future, but MMO's will never die. WoW will never die, and I honestly never see a MMO topping WoW ever.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#25  Edited By Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Didnt they already hit their prime?

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

They'll only hit the big time again once they do something new that doesn't remind people to play WoW again. Planetside 2 will be going to the PS4 but I highly doubt many will flock to it.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#27 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

The MMO genre doesn't get "WoW" moments. The whole genre is very similar to mobile and social games in terms of their production goals.

Only WoW managed to get "WoW" moments. It's the super exception among hundreds of MMOs, not the norm.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

My friends, I didn't ask if MMO's are for losers or a waste of time. You're so hate filled, I wish I could hug you.

Don't lie...we're not your friend.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

I'm going to play Destiny because it's from Bungie and requires no monthly fee.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

MMOs and consoles are hampered by poor communication tools more than anything. In game you're limited to voice communication unless you want to hook up a supported keyboard, something most console players aren't too willing to do. The chat box on the console would also take up too much premious screen space as everything on the HUD needs to be larger due to the further viewing distance your average console player is from the TV. Also on the consoles you can't just alt-tab into a web browser to go to the forums, hit up google to answer a question, or even run 3rd party chat programs like Ventrillo, Mumble, or Teamspeak. I do hope that one of those 3 apps gets a console client, I don't see a reason for any of them not to work on the PS4/Xbox One.

I don't think the controls are the real limiting factor of MMOs on consoles. Traditional MMOs in the Everquest/WoW style can't be done because they are too micro heavy on their control schemes but more modern MMOs which are reducing the skill bloat and focusing on real time combat can.

Furthermore there are console standards for a game. Console players aren't used to dealing with incomplete content. With MMOs, the launches are never really rock solid and there are always little bugs that continue to pop up for years after release. MMOs are large, unstable, and completely unpredictable beasts when it comes to software development so those things are to be expected. Console gamers aren't use to dealing with this. They are used to paying a higher premium for the game but expect that game to run without major problems on the consoles.

Games like Fallout 3/New Vegas and Skyrim last gen got absolutely blasted by the console community for being bug ridden as hell, especially on the PS3. Those bugs were minor compared to what we see in MMOs even today.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@Heil68: I hardly call that an MMO. It's MMO-like in its structure but the scale of the game is very small and instanced based. It's a brilliant looking game but it's not an MMO.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

@Wasdie said:

@Heil68: I hardly call that an MMO. It's MMO-like in its structure but the scale of the game is very small and instanced based. It's a brilliant looking game but it's not an MMO.

Close as I'm going to get to playing one. :P

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#33 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I haven't been interested in MMOs at all, but the Final Fantasy XIV beta on PS4 was fantastic. Beautiful world, wonderful music, terrific gameplay and a bunch of other great qualities really captures the magic that draws me into Final Fantasy. I want to get it but the sub fee still has me on the fence.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#34 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@br0kenrabbit: How many of those f2p MMOs are also p2w?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

@br0kenrabbit: How many of those f2p MMOs are also p2w?

Dunno, haven't played one. I've played UO, EQ, AC, AO, Eve, DAoC, Planetside, GW1/2 and that's it. EQ I know is F2P now, but it wasn't back then. Planetside is supposedly going F2P next month, but I haven't played it in years.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:

Agreed, along with forum posting.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CrownKingArthur
@bfmv2007 said:

@CrownKingArthur: Nope. Many have tried, many have failed, few have came close, but none have succeeded. WoW will always be THE MMO to play. How many other games still have millions of players 10 years after release. There's a reason no other MMO has ever topped WoW. Don't listen to people when they say WoW is bad now. Those are simply people that has played the game for years, and are tired of the MMO life and simply need a break. Take me for example. I played every day for 6 years straight. I was getting tired of WoW toward the end of Cataclysm, and really thought it was getting stale and boring, so I quit for a few months, and went to RIFT. That's when I realized, it wasn't just WoW, I was tired of MMO's in general. So I quit RIFT and had my MMO break, and I came back for MOP, and loved it again. I have taken another break since then, and will be coming back yet again the day WOD hits shelves. MMO's will never die out. Pay to play MMO's might not be so common in the future, but MMO's will never die. WoW will never die, and I honestly never see a MMO topping WoW ever.

Good post man.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ballroompirate

@Zassimick said:

I haven't been interested in MMOs at all, but the Final Fantasy XIV beta on PS4 was fantastic. Beautiful world, wonderful music, terrific gameplay and a bunch of other great qualities really captures the magic that draws me into Final Fantasy. I want to get it but the sub fee still has me on the fence.

FF14 ARR is probably one of the best MMO's out there currently. Sadly I agree sub fees pretty much turn me away from MMO's most of them time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@theshensolidus said:

NO. STOP. STAWHP.

Stop bastardizing terminology... as bad as the people that are calling MOBA's MMOs.

Wtf is the point in including online games just because they have lots of players but on SMALL WORLDS? e.g ... cod is what 8 vs 8? 16 ... shooters have been doing that and much more before MMOs were a thing.

MASSIVELY MULTI PLAYER = Massive amounts of people on a single server.

It gets on my nerves when people "try to be clever" by challenging terminology, but end up just making that terminology meaningless in the process.

shooters, borderlands ect... are not MMOs. neither are Mobas.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#40 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

It seems to be a PC/console genre, now. Im not a huge fan, but it's good to have options.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jankarcop

MMO = massive. 1000's of people on 1 server, huge zones. A game that has 8-32 player instanced servers is not an MMO. Borderlands, CoD, Battlefield, MOBAS, ARPGs, are not MMOs.

The definition of MMO is very clear.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 StrongBlackVine

@whiskeystrike said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

Butthurt level 50 wizard.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

Surpass wow in what ?

Subscriptions?

Graphics ?

Gameplay ?

Because many MMOs surpassed WoW already in many things except ...subs !

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CrownKingArthur

@AzatiS said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

Surpass wow in what ?

Subscriptions?

Graphics ?

Gameplay ?

Because many MMOs surpassed WoW already in many things except ...subs !

well, for a paid subscription based mmo, i'd suggest popularity by users is a key measure of performance/success. also, longevity.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:

@whiskeystrike said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

Butthurt level 50 *wizard.

*Black mage

Get it right noob.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#46 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts

@whiskeystrike said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@whiskeystrike said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

*Black mage

Get it right noob.

lol this

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ballroompirate

@whiskeystrike said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@whiskeystrike said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

*Black mage

Get it right noob.

My lvl 50 PLD beats up your mom :P

JK