Will Microsoft ever offer retail games for GwG? - rant

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Honestly I'm sick and tired of this. There is a reason why I've spent 5 minutes in total with all hitherto released GwG "freebies" so far. Microsoft has reached new heights of cheapness now offering in-house indie games from ID@Xbox program. I'm not mad or jealous of Sony. I've gotten Thief for almost next to nothing so no loss here but the fact that there's been no initiative on MS side paints a very bleak picture here.

Not only 1 game a month but also useless crap. On the plus side there's a great weekly sale now BUT THAT IS NOT A SOLUTION.

Why are they listening to Xbox OS feedback so vigorously yet they pay so little attention to their game offerings through Games with Gold?

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Its not like PSN+ is much better in that regard, its had like 2 retail games so far? A last gen port and a standalone DLC to an already mediocre game.

Thief is free on PS3, not PS4. And the 360 does get retail games.

I'd say it'll still be a while before both the XOne and PS4 start getting a steady stream of retail games each month.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3  Edited By jg4xchamp  Online
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Yeah Games with Gold blows. Volgar, Super Time Force, D4, and Guacamelee are dope. But, that's also like the only good things they put on that thing.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Salt_The_Fries

@jg4xchamp said:

Yeah Games with Gold blows. Volgar, Super Time Force, D4, and Guacamelee are dope. But, that's also like the only good things they put on that thing.

Precisement...I hadn't been able to nab Guacamelee, though. I think I haven't had Xbone back then and I didn't have active Gold at that time or some shit, like I've been away for a weekend at in-laws'. Same for Max.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Oh so this isn't some confirmed thing, just you spouting off

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#6 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

YA but at least Xbox 360 gets em better than psn aside from duke nukem last month. Psn had nothing worthy since I bought psn plus I've gotten more than enough games but most of them I've played only for a few minutes

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

They were never going to release full retail games at the start. We get old ones, there aren't any old ones because the gen is only one year in. Stop whinging.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Salt_The_Fries

@DocSanchez said:

They were never going to release full retail games at the start. We get old ones, there aren't any old ones because the gen is only one year in. Stop whinging.

Give us at least something like Zoo Tycoon ffs.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@RR360DD: biggest load of horse shit I've seen this far.

PS+ is older than just the PS4. In this passed year I've had PS+ there have been like 13 or so respctable games.....SoC/ICO, DmC, Bioshock Infinite.

First Light is decent to get for free as it has an arena and is like a really cool demo for SS.

It's only been 1 year for the PS4...of course there aren't any huge games being free....there are still ppl buying PS4s and those games.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
@mr_huggles_dog said:

@RR360DD: biggest load of horse shit I've seen this far.

PS+ is older than just the PS4. In thS year I've had PS+ there have been like 13 or so respctavle games.....SoC/ICO, DmC, Bioshock Infinite.

First Light is decent to get for free as it has an arena and is like a really cool demo for SS.

It's only been 1 year for the PS4...of course there aren't any huge games being free....there are still ppl buying PS4s and those games.

I assumed we were talking about PSN+ and GWG on the current gen consoles only. Because I know the PS3 gets retail games, as does the 360.

I don't know what you're getting at, I already said both will start getting retail games steadily, just not now.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

@RR360DD: that's not quite fair though.

If MS will NEVER give retail type games and PS+ has a history of doing it...Then it's fair to anticipate how this will play out.

You can't just ignore what PS+ has done for years now and compare to what MS just started and is doing with their own service.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#13 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Please stop expecting game companies to give away games that are still selling for $50 or more in stores.

Also, bad title is misleading.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

They do for the Xbox 360, just not Xbox One yet. I imagine as the catalog of games on both the Xbox One and PS4 expand that both services will start offering more retail games. Plus when they stop offering preference to free games on the Xbox 360 / PS3 that'll also probably free up monetary resources for making deals on current gen retail games.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Salt_The_Fries

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Please stop expecting game companies to give away games that are still selling for $50 or more in stores.

Also, bad title is misleading.

It's not misleading, it's genuine frustration that I wanted to vent. And the last time I checked Zoo Tycoon retailed for $30 or even less.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

Man what an entitled group we are. MSoft is not running a charity.

Can you people please stop crying about free games you are getting.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

I only skimmed the OP.

I thought TC was saying MS made an official statement.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Is this some kind of confirmation? Again, did these companies promise and guarantee how many or what will be offered with these services? I mean if they did promise but didn't follow through, then that's the time to complain and whine. Also why is this rant directed to only MS lol. Are you expecting a retail game for PS4 PS+ next month then? I'm guessing if you like paying for subscriptions and expects retail games, then something like EA Access which is exclusive on Xbox One right now might be for you since they've offered retail games already. Maybe PSNow will offer PS4 retail games too in the future. I mean I'm all for demanding more but this thread seems more like being entitled, plus it's only being directed to MS for some moo reason.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

The truth. It will, but when the games get old. They won't give you a good £30+ game for free.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts
@mr_huggles_dog said:

@RR360DD: that's not quite fair though.

If MS will NEVER give retail type games and PS+ has a history of doing it...Then it's fair to anticipate how this will play out.

You can't just ignore what PS+ has done for years now and compare to what MS just started and is doing with their own service.

I'm confused, he just said both gave retail games on last gen platforms, and both more or less refrain on the current gen platforms. Is this not accurate?

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I can only assume they are waiting for the library to grow before they start giving out real games w/ gold. So far the offerings have been ok to good.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

umm....Games with gold has had quite a few retail games since its launch....

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

Just downloaded Witcher 2 this month plus many others or are you are only talking current gen and in that case neither do it. As far as current gen PS+ had a DLC they offered but thats equal to D4.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@CanYouDiglt said:

Just downloaded Witcher 2 this month plus many others or are you are only talking current gen and in that case neither do it. As far as current gen PS+ had a DLC they offered but thats equal to D4.

The OP is talking about current gen and in that respect you are right, both services last gen for PS3 and 360 offer retail games.

However, you are wrong about current gen offering retail titles. PS4/Xbone PS+/GWG service free titles have seen retail games.

Injustice Game of the Year was Retail and on PS4 PS+ last month. Point is, the 'free retail game' boundary has been crossed and it just started on PS4.

PS4 PS+ 32 games vs. Xbone GWG 11 games (metascores also in link showing which service offers up quality as well as quantity).

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

@SolidTy: what about 5club?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SolidTy

@wiiboxstation:

What about Injustice Ultimate Edition? I didn't mention any other game. No one here is talking about that terribad racing game.

Regarding racers? Don't know. Don't care. Don't like them.

Ask Sony.

Personally, I hope it never releases as that leaves a PS+ slot for better free PS+ games.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#27 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

I personally don't have the time to play all that I wish to. "free" games come after that. I don't care about this all that much. On PS or Xbox

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Do you really want subsidised Ryse or Kinect Sports Rivals?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

@magicalclick said:

@lamprey263:

Confused. I just got Witcher 2 this month.

Um, okay. Did I say something contrary to that? "They do for the Xbox 360, just not Xbox One yet."

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

Too early for that on X1 mah man now 360 on the other hand yikes, getting some really good games GWG kept me gaming on 360 longer than I would have tbh and consequently I waited even longer before Jumping Ahead.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

ITT: people still think games that they get with a subscription service that stop being playable after their subscription lapses are "free."

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

After awhile I'm sure. Need time to build up library.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#34  Edited By drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

Two things:

1. Games With Gold offered free retail games before. Last gen they gave away Halo Reach, Dark Souls, Sleeping Dogs among others. Let the One's library flesh itself out first.

2. You're essentially bitching about Microsoft not giving you more free games. You're either a spoiled brat or have some entitlement issues.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SolidTy

^ He's talking about current gen Xbone because he spoke about the 360 GWG before and some of the retail games he got with 360 GWG in the past.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

X1 GwG is weak. Only D4 and Guacamelee are still on my machine. I need to redownload Volgar and Super Time Force and try them again, but they didn't really do much for me when I tried them. Issue with the older X1 games is that a lot of them have Kinect functionality so they can't release a game that most people can't play. (Not sure if a lot of those games are playable without Kinect or not ie Zoo Tycoon)