Will MGS4 disappoint?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Adrian_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 7169 Posts

PSM3
MGS4 feels different - and not just as a result of 'wave form' play, but more on that later. It isn't unrecognizable or broken but neither is it sublime, or intuitive. The buttons are sort-of the same, but sufficiently different to feel dislocating. Old flaws - like collision detection and camera wobble when crawling through tight gaps - remain, as do old thrills - like cruelly toying with guards using your variety of skills and weapons.

We spent our first hour cursing the revamped CQC system and clumsily blasting past PMCs suspecting that we were 'doing it wrong', only to put the pad down three hours later with heavy hearts, after a thrilling last 30 minutes of finding new ways to baffle, torture and debase three guards in the demo's relatively tiny final section. It is, in short, a reflection of its producer, Hideo Kojima - an idiosyncratic, frustrating, flawed and endlessly entertaining kaleidoscope of comedy, invention and barbarity that entirely defies neat categorization. And as such, it's still on track to be the most important, and exciting game of 2008.

'Wave form' play? It's a fancy term for what we've always loved about Metal Gear Solid - the masterful pacing and juxtaposition of gameplay ****. MGS3, for example, contrasts an excruciatingly tense one-hour boss battle (The End jungle fight), with a leisurely, but certainly no less memorable, ten minute ladder climb, forcing you to reflect on the magnitude of your journey so far. 'Wave form' play attempts to solve Metal Gear Solid's central dichotomy, making a 'stealth' game where combat is actively encouraged.

"The problem with previous games was that we throw you dozens of enemies and give you cool weapons and plenty of ammo, but you could never use your arsenal because weapon noises alerted nearby guards who would hunt you down," reveals Kojima.

"In Metal Gear Solid 4, stealth remains at the core, but when Snake enters a battlefield, all bets are off. He doesn't need to be quiet. You can unload on enemy soldiers, or if the PMCs are losing you can kill local militia to even the score, sending the battle into stalemate and allowing you to proceed in the commotion," expands Kojima. "Then we send Snake back to stealth-based play, then onto another battlefield, and back to stealth. It's this tension and release, wave form play gameplay that satisfies both stealth and action game fans."

Our hands-on impressions are based on an extended version of the Tokyo Game Show code - the bulk of which can be seen in the 15-minute PS Store demo (or on PSM92's DVD), where Snake camouflages himself as a statue and holds another carving's genitals. While the demo is set over a relatively small location, there are multiple approaches.

Remember the incredible 15-minute tanker demo for MGS2? You could zip through, or spend hours finding new ways to bamboozle guards, marveling at your ability to shoot individual wine bottles or write your name in darts on a foe's buttocks. The Metal Gear Solid 4 demo isn't as seismic a leap, but it's equally open-ended. Enemies might be smarter, but not shockingly so, while environmental damage isn't as extreme as once suggested - bullets leave direct scars in cement, and glass panes shatter, but we couldn't blow the scenery into chunks using the Patriot rocket launcher or RPG.

Visually, it's impressive, but not staggering. Squint and pop into first-person view, and it's not dissimilar to the Middle East sections in Call Of Duty 4. In fact, playing MGS4 in FPS mode feels initially disappointing, since a part of your brain thinks you're playing Infinity Ward's incredible shooter. Extended play soon erodes comparisons - Metal Gear 4 is way more flexible - and the graphics gently dazzle: the volume of gunfire, explosions, soldiers and smoke in the final showdown with the PMC tank spikes your breath.

It isn't PS3's best-looking game, but the solidity and detail - zoom in and just look at Snake's grizzled face - is confidently reassuring. We're yet to fight a single boss, or endure a set piece like, say, the final white rose petal battle against Boss in MGS3, or the showdown against the choppers in the mountains, so it's fair to expect big surprises in the finished game. The demo is effectively one long 'bridge' section - a proof of concept - with no more significance than, for example, the first hour of jungle paths in MGS3.

This is only part of PSM3's exclusive hands-on with MGS4. For the full article including screenshots look for issue 96 of PSM3, in shops from December 20.

There is some reassuring news, but it doesn't seem like they were over-all to pleased with the build they got there hands on late in 2007. Hopefully there fears and complaints are worked out by Metal Gear Solid 4's Q2 release.

(Metal Gear Solid 4 was looking better than COD4 in 2007! This game is going to look sweet when it arrives.)

Taz-Bone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Taz-Bone
Member since 2004 • 1388 Posts
Nah, a lot of time put into it.
Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts
that's old man..
linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts
no, as long as aaron thomas doesnt review it here it wont disappoint
EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts
Never!!!! lol i dont think so
cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#6 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts

Its very hard for me to imagine it living up to the loafty expectations that have been cast upon it,

It will be great but the cows, media etc have basically painted this to be the game that will signal the change of direction in the console war in Sony's favor.

While I think it will be great, it won't have the same sales impact of a game like GTA V

niall077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 niall077
Member since 2006 • 1729 Posts
it is fixing alot of the old problems people have with MGS games so NO I dont think it will dissapoint, But Im sure some fanboys will find lil things to nit pick
Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts
possible, but we don't know.
patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 patriots7672
Member since 2008 • 3249 Posts
Do pigs fly?
strudel420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 strudel420
Member since 2006 • 3687 Posts
Only the people who didn't like the series in the first place probably.
prodiqy32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 prodiqy32
Member since 2007 • 1624 Posts

its the first one im looking forward to since metal gear solid on the PS1.

Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Adrian_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 7169 Posts
Personally i'm really exited the build at CES turned up the anti, and the A.I was really aggressive and strategic. That took a lot of people by surprise and many were close to 3 rations by the end of the demo. It definately imo won't disappoint and i'm really hoping that this game passes my expectations, and becomes that game that Hideo Kojima says it will be. Alot of what we have seen has been concervative and theres a lot of physics and full a.i code that has been left out of the game so far. 90% destructable enviroments have yet to be seen this gen.
azshorty2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 azshorty2003
Member since 2004 • 4651 Posts

i hope not, but the hype is waayyy too high. theyve been hyping this game like its the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ and its gonna save everything.

itll be really good, but many will feel it fell short of expectations, sadly. :(

TYLERxDURDEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TYLERxDURDEN
Member since 2007 • 292 Posts

It will be a very impressive game

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Yes. Anything that has an ungodly amount of hype will usually end up disappointing. This game just looks washed out.
the_jetimaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 the_jetimaster
Member since 2005 • 427 Posts

mgs series disspointed me since the arrives of mgs2, i like the mgs3 though cause it was the story about big boss, imo mgs should have die with the first one.

unasyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 unasyn
Member since 2007 • 318 Posts

Will it disappoint? Absolutely. Way too hyped up.

Will I still get it? Absolutely. Way too hyped up not to.

Catch 22.

Sully28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sully28
Member since 2003 • 5097 Posts

i hope not, but the hype is waayyy too high. theyve been hyping this game like its the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ and its gonna save everything.

itll be really good, but many will feel it fell short of expectations, sadly. :(

azshorty2003

no... halo 3 was hyped as the second comming of christ. This game is hyped as a system seller and a great ps3 exclusive, which it will be like all of the MGS games before it.

LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LibertySaint
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
yeah it won't disappoint, but it may not appeal to some ppl.
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
I think it'll disappoint a lot of people, just because expectations are so high.
JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts
Great a new catch phrase. "wave form" :?
Weapons_Free

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Weapons_Free
Member since 2006 • 1361 Posts
playing a demo of an MGS game and reviewing it is like watching an oscar worthy film for 5 minutes and reviewing it.
Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

You can't please everybody. There will be those who won't like, or who might end up dissapointed. There will be those who end up loving it with expectations exceeded.

I'm positive it's going to be as fun as I think it is.

Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

I think it will only disappoint if it gets delayed again. Other than that MGS4 and disappointment doesn't belong in the same sentence.

hyperboy152000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hyperboy152000
Member since 2003 • 4815 Posts

I think it will only disappoint if it gets delayed again. Other than that MGS4 and disappointment doesn't belong in the same sentence.

ReverseCycology

well they could pull of MGS2 and dissapoint people months after they played it for the first time

JTH_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#26 JTH_22
Member since 2005 • 1438 Posts
Most likely no. But I guess anything's possible.
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
MGS4 will impress me no matter what.
TMontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 TMontana1004
Member since 2007 • 4537 Posts
As long as cows get to see Snake naked...no...
the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 the-obiwan
Member since 2003 • 3747 Posts

As long as cows get to see Snake naked...no...TMontana1004

lol.

ultima-flare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 ultima-flare
Member since 2003 • 2259 Posts

That is only part of the preview....I have read the whole thing and they go on to say "You can't help thinking it might be the greatest game of all time".

(I'd post links to the scans but I'm not sure thats allowed)

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

I honestly don't think MGSIV or GTAIV will disappoint.

They've both been delayed and their devs aren't the type to rush out the game just for quick sales. They want to make sure the games are great, and they will be.

sparkypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 sparkypants
Member since 2007 • 2609 Posts
Not in the least bit the game looks promising and judging from previous games this game will live up to expi=expectations :)
lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4867 Posts
I think the game will be good, but hardcore MGS fans might be a tad disappointed. This game will need to have a broader appeal than the previous games. Therefore, you should expect more of a shooter feel rather than a sneak fest, like other MGS games. The game will be brought more in line with modern shooters
AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Yes it will...

Kojima is a bad name in industry , Konami worst developer ever , they wasted only a few $ to make it so will be crap, music will be awful once again means no epicness at all, graphics would be inferior to any other PS3-X360 game,even worse than Wii,story will be simple as ever (a bad guy that need to die and thats all), gameplay will suffer as it did all these years,dont trust japanese they eat sushi,MGS4 will be crap :D

exiledsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 exiledsnake
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts

Yes it will...

Kojima is a bad name in industry , Konami worst developer ever , they wasted only a few $ to make it so will be crap, music will be awful once again means no epicness at all, graphics would be inferior to any other PS3-X360 game,even worse than Wii,story will be simple as ever (a bad guy that need to die and thats all), gameplay will suffer as it did all these years,dont trust japanese they eat sushi,MGS4 will be crap :D

AzatiS

QFS!!!!!

Thompsonwhore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Thompsonwhore
Member since 2003 • 2059 Posts
I'll judge for myself, not from some article.