Will MCC and Star Wars affect Halo 5 sales?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

Do you think that all the negative feedback surrounding the Master Chief Collection will affect Halo 5 sales in any way? More importantly, do you think Halo 5 having a release date close to Star Wars will affect its sales at all? Especially considering that Sony has marketing rights for it?

It's kind of similar to how I feel bad for any movies releasing the same week as Avengers Age of Ultron. Everyone is going to go see Avengers and anything releasing near it will have its sales cut in half or more even if the movies are good or had a lot of potential.

The best time to release a big game is when nothing else is getting released or during a drought. Halo 5 will be coming out during the holiday season where Nintendo always thrives, Sony has Star Wars on lock down and who knows what else will be announced at E3.

I'm really curious to see how many people will opt out of buying Halo 5 because they got burnt on MCC, though. I've heard of so many people that have bought Xbox One systems with MCC and returned them because it wasn't working. Nothing can leave a worst taste in your mouth than that.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

yes i bought MCC at launch and couldnt play multiplayer in reasonable manner i basically stop playing an i went back an still like not fresh its just not modern enough multiplayer the lobbies dont fill quick the matchmaking isn't hot

im not gonna like jump in on a new halo i ddint like 4 either i thought it was just medicore game was some halo skins on it just its not my style i prefer bungie single player epic experiences with amazing gameplay and like fluid artsyle an that take itself like an epic adventure halo 4 didnt feel like an epic adventure like oni or halo 1 etc no destiny felt like that all those new age things in it like yeah bungie

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

MCC won't have any real impact. Releasing near CoD and Battlefront might slightly blunt its launch, but then again it could blunt their launches. Of the 3, I see Halo 5 having the longest sales legs anyhow. Its a franchise that lots of people pick up automatically with an XBox, and it's not a yearly title so it's going to be defacto Halo purchase for awhile.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Definitely doesn't affect my decision at all... I'll be getting H5 day 1. Battlefront doesn't interest me since it's MP focused.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 arkephonic
@santoron said:

MCC won't have any real impact. Releasing near CoD and Battlefront might slightly blunt its launch, but then again it could blunt their launches. Of the 3, I see Halo 5 having the longest sales legs anyhow. Its a franchise that lots of people pick up automatically with an XBox, and it's not a yearly title so it's going to be defacto Halo purchase for awhile.

Oh yeah, forgot about Call of Duty. Ubisoft will probably have their annual Assassin's Creed as well, right?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

i mean, even if it does affect sales, its still gonna sell more than anything sony has this holiday season.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 arkephonic

@mems_1224 said:

i mean, even if it does affect sales, its still gonna sell more than anything sony has this holiday season.

I would make a bet with you that CoD on PS4 will outsell Halo 5.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Previous Sony flopped games didn't affect future Sony games. And a multiplat game will always likely outsell an exclusive game. Battlefront will outsell Halo 5 but Halo 5 should do well on it's own, probably a better exclusive seller than any PS4 exclusive to boot.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

It'll affect those who can afford only one game. I guess buying multiple games is an alien concept to some.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@arkephonic said:

@mems_1224 said:

I would make a bet with you that CoD on PS4 will outsell Halo 5.

Yeah but there isn't going to be much else to buy on PS4 around then compared to Xbone, so a bit unfair...

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

People will say that they will, they won't.

Expect Xbox One sales to skyrocket during the last 3 months up until release. A large number of PlayStation 4 users are Xbox abandoners, do you think that they're going to not get Halo 5 and subsequently not get an Xbox One lol? Of course they will.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#12 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I think the fact the PS4 is the Leader in the Console market will impact Halo's Sales.

That and Halo isn't hyped up like it used to be.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

No they won't

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

I am not getting Halo 5 until I get multiple reports from trusted sources that the multiplayer lobbies fill up quick, and the matches don't crash on on a regular basis.

Man when MCC multiplayer is working, it's fantastic, such a shame. Hopefully they continue to patch it.

Or I might not get Halo 5 at all depending on CODBO3 or Battlefront. Will have to see when we get to the release dates.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@drummerdave9099 said:

I am not getting Halo 5 until I get multiple reports from trusted sources that the multiplayer lobbies fill up quick, and the matches don't crash on on a regular basis.

Man when MCC multiplayer is working, it's fantastic, such a shame. Hopefully they continue to patch it.

Or I might not get Halo 5 at all depending on CODBO3 or Battlefront. Will have to see when we get to the release dates.

Did the Halo 5 beta have any online functionality issues? Nope... That should be good enough for you.. On a serious note though get your head out of your ass, the MCC, its netcode, its matchmaking system, literally everything about its multiplayer was a Frankenstein'd experiment combining systems from four games that had never been tried before, oh and it had some problems? Gee, who would have thought...

Expecting one game like Halo 5 to have online issues because of TMCC and its circumstances is idiotic by nature...

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By mgools
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

@nyadc said:

Expect Xbox One sales to skyrocket during the last 3 months up until release. A large number of PlayStation 4 users are Xbox abandoners, do you think that they're going to not get Halo 5 and subsequently not get an Xbox One lol? Of course they will.

I was an Xbox 360 abandoner. I was just more impressed with Sony this go around, but nothing wrong with the Xbox side at all. I loved the Halo games, and think it will do great, and I hope it does. But I had stopped before Halo 4. Just seemed to get old. Was kind of like watching a TV series that runs a little too long...It just can wear a little thin after some time. That is me though. There will be some that will buy it up, and it will do well. However, I think if you think all abandoners will go back because of Halo...you are right and wrong. Some will and some won't. But sounded kind of like a blanket statement that ALL would plunk down $400 to play a single game. If so many can do that then they are in better financial shape than most :)

Enjoy Halo 5...it will be a blast.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@nyadc said:

Xbox one sales won't skyrocket until the game releases probably, but I don't think it will be enough to beat the PS4 until november or december.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

343 affected my decision to buy day one.

The decision to move Halo gameplay towards COD doesn't work for me, and that's after tons of hours with 343s Halo 4 and the Halo 5 Beta. MCC having glitches in Single Player and Multiplayer didn't help matters either, but I'm not worried about Halo 5 in so much as I just don't like the direction 343 is taking Halo. I felt Halo 4, like many Halo fans, was a let down especially at $60. That price went down fast compared to previous Halo entries and there was a reason why. That's my opinion. Being more objective and looking to the critics? 343 have yet to accomplish what Bungie accomplished repeatedly, which was make a 90+ Metascoring game, something 343 has actively been trying to do with each release to prove they are more than an opening act for Bungie. 343 have yet to succeed. The head of 343, Bonnie Ross, has been making that a goal for the studio since day one. Maybe they'll hit it with Halo 5...I hope it's good, as I'd like to pick it up for my Xbone this year, but I'm just not convinced with the brand or the studio anymore. I'm going to be waiting for some friends I trust and some critics I read to let me know the real scoop.

Just in case there is doubt, here's my history with Halo (not pictured, my Halo Reach Legendary, various Halo controllers, my Halo 360, and my Two original Green Xbox Halos models):

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#19 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Nope, will get Star Wars on PC and Halo5 on Xbox one and play em both.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

I have no faith in 343i to pull off a decent Halo 5.

Halo 4 is easily the worst Halo game, and my house mate recently got the MCC, and it is just awful as far as collections go. Why the hell can you not play 3 player coop in Halo 1 and 2? 3 of us were wanting to do a legendary playthrough marathon but for some reason 343 didn't include that in their overhaul. Not to mention the games installed in a stupid order so couldn't even play the multiplayer together for hours.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

As much as I wanna get my hands on Halo 5, I'm gonna buy Battlefront before I dip into Halo 5 at all.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

during 1-3 I'd say Microsoft would of been a dangerous contender.

Losing bungie and having 343 take the helm really killed both the popularity behind the Halo series as well as it's quality.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I don't even think star wars should be mentioned. It's not like the multiplayer only game that is missing 90% of the features present in the last game in the series or even the psp version is going to compete with the likes of a game like halo even with 343 making it.

LFMAO DICE and EA .

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mems_1224

@arkephonic: wasn't aware cod was ps4 only

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Babies will buy Halo 5. Gamers will get Battlefront for their fps needs *IF* it didn't got EA'd. We all know Halo 5 got 343'd so that game is done but lems will buy it because they're thirsty for a new title since 2014.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@SolidTy said:

343 have yet to accomplish what Bungie accomplished repeatedly, which was make a 90+ Metascoring game, something 343 has actively been trying to do with each release to prove they are more than an opening act* for Bungie.

*Tribute band

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@nyadc said:

Oh yes ! Halo 5 may not be the excuse for me to get a X1 ( I will buy Halo 5 even without having the console right now ), the only thing I´m waiting is a new Gears game to jump on a X1 like right now, I will eventually get one but I´m in no rush.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#28 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Definitely doesn't affect my decision at all... I'll be getting H5 day 1. Battlefront doesn't interest me since it's MP focused.

same. I don't get into battlefront because I don't like running around star wars as nameless guy #84590

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mems_1224

@jg4xchamp said:

@SolidTy said:

343 have yet to accomplish what Bungie accomplished repeatedly, which was make a 90+ Metascoring game, something 343 has actively been trying to do with each release to prove they are more than an opening act* for Bungie.

*Tribute band

I mean, its not like Bungie is any better off without Halo. Its fitting that Paul McCartney wrote that awful song at the end of Destiny. Just like him, Bungie used to be a part of something special but now people are just trying to figure out how they aren't dead yet.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

Star Wars, a global brand that spans far outside of gaming(with the first film instalment of a long awaited new trilogy releasing soon after the game release)

VS

Halo, an Xbox orientated brand.

It's obvious lol.

Shibua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Shibua
Member since 2014 • 467 Posts

People with an X1 will buy Halo 5 and Battlefront 3

People with a PS4 will buy Battlefront 3 and pretend X1 users ain't buying Halo 5

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Of course it will. Halo brand is not anywhere as strong as it was lastgen. Couple that with the fact that no one wants an Xbone and we aren't gonna be seeing epic sales for Halo 5 like we saw lastgen with Halo 3. Black Ops 3 and Star Wars will only do more damage to Halo 5 sales that 343i haven't already done.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

@nyadc: halo ce anniversary on 360 has serious coop online issues and that's just one game not 4 so they have something to prove to me before I buy anything with 343 on the box. As of now, halo 5 isn't day 1 and isn't even on my hype list which is sad considering its why I wanted my x1 to begin with. Of course this is just my opinion on halo 5 but mcc isn't the only issue 343 has had.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@SolidTy said:

*Tribute band

Lol, much like the "Less-than Fab Four".

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

If Star Wars Battlefront scores high, then it will have a big impact. If it doesn't it will have a lower impact. Either way it will impact Halo sales.

demacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 demacabre
Member since 2015 • 361 Posts

Depends on the hype levels of the movie and the game. If the official trailer makes people forget the prequels and the game isn't raising red flags, it will be massive release. People who were going to get Halo 5 will still get Halo 5, it just won't be the second coming of christ to video games as it would have been. I think MCC has already had its damage done and it seems like it will (did?) pass. But SW movies trumps all things for many people. Well good SW movies, atleast.