Will Mario Kart 8 save the Wii U?

• 79 results
Posted by charizard1605 (58094 posts) 7 months, 17 days ago

Poll: Will Mario Kart 8 save the Wii U? (64 votes)

Yes 5%
Yes, along with Super Smash Bros. 23%
It'll help Wii U sales, but it won't 'save' it 27%
It'll give Wii U a short bump but it won't 'save' it 25%
It won't save the Wii U 20%

Mario Kart 8 is almost here- Nintendo's most hyped console game in years (possibly since Super Smash Bros. Brawl in 2008), the game has a lot of pressure on it. Not only does it represent Nintendo's first true foray into HD gaming (the graphics look gorgeous), but it is following the previous games in its series, which all sold obscene amounts and are largely credited with having helped move the system that they were on.

Wii U sales are floundering- there is no question about that. But do you think Mario Kart 8 will 'save' the Wii U? Do you think it will give the console a permanent boost? By save, I mean that it doesn't sell at the ghastly levels it is selling at now- it might not outsell the PS4 or the Xbox One, but it still at least rises above the current Dreamcast/PS Vita trajectory it is on. Do you think that will happen?

For reference, here are some statistics about previous Mario Kart games:

Super Mario Kart: 8 million (1 in 6 SNES owners owned Super Mario Kart)
Mario Kart 64: 9 million (1 in 4 N64 owners owned Mario Kart 64)
Mario Kart Super Circuit: 3.8 million (1 in 21 GBA owners owned Mario Kart Super Circuit)
Mario Kart Double Dash: 7 million (1 in 3 GameCube owners owned Mario Kart Double Dash)
Mario Kart DS: 23.34 million (1 in 6 DS owners owned Mario Kart DS)
Mario Kart Wii: 34 million (1 in 3 Wii owners owned Mario Kart Wii)
Mario Kart 7: 9.35 million (1 in 4 3DS owners own Mario Kart 7)

#51 Edited by groowagon (2820 posts) -

i want to vote "lol". why can't i vote lol?

even if it's good, it's just mario kart ffs...

#52 Posted by KBFloYd (13796 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@KBFloYd said:

@ShepardCommandr said:

Nothing can save the wiiu

well nothing saved the ps3....so i guess the tables turned.

Yep. Those 80 million+ sales are really 'd00med' figures. The Wii out sold the competition, but not by a massive amount. And had no 3rd party support hardly. But then you know this don't you?

the ps3 was a massive failure that almost killed sony.....they had to cut the price 4 times and take losses for their blunders....and still ended up in 3rd place when the next gen started.

it was not saved.

#53 Posted by TigerSuperman (2383 posts) -

First, off, OP is not including those who brought the game more than once.

Second, it will save the Wii U like Crash nitro Kart saved the N-gage.

Sig

___

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161292436349?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

#54 Posted by super600 (30716 posts) -

@emgesp said:

@Pray_to_me said:

No just as it didn't save Gamecube.

So many people seem to forget that the Gamecube had all those games and still ended up flopping. The sad thing is that the Gamecube was actually selling better than the Wii U at this point in time. So, the Wii U is actually flopping harder than the Gamecube. Anyone who honestly believes Nintendo can revive the Wii U is smoking drugs.

Nintendo can't revive the WiiU with just one game, but a full market campaign talking about the console and everything WiiU related that they are planning this year can help start moving consoles a bit or a lot more. Nintendo's goal this year is to try to sell as many WiiU's as possible in the current market conditions.

#55 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6584 posts) -

Impossible for one game to change a system's fortune. NSMB U, Wii Fit U, and 3D World couldnt pull it out of the rut so no way MK can. The masses just arent interested

#56 Edited by hotdiddykong (2048 posts) -

@emgesp:

Its called ZombiU, its called Bayonetta 2, and other stuff and what did you guys do? WHY DOES THE WII U GET THIS INSTEAD OF MY CONSOLE

#57 Posted by emgesp (2149 posts) -

@hotdiddykong said:

@emgesp:

Its called ZombiU, its called Bayonetta 2, and other stuff and what did you guys do? WHY DOES THE WII U GET THIS INSTEAD OF MY CONSOLE

Ummm, I could care less about those games. I hated Bayonetta 1 and Zombie U looks like garbage. Judging by the lackluster sales there must be truth to what I say.

#58 Posted by whatsazerg (211 posts) -

I predict approx. 3 million unit sales of MK8.... 2 million from current owners, 1 million from people who buy Wii U after MK8 launches throughout the rest of the year.

With most Nintendo games... it will have legs, and continue to sell... probably netting a total of 5-6 million copies sold of MK8 throughout the console generation.

#59 Posted by whatsazerg (211 posts) -

@stuff238 said:

It is selling worse than the dreamcast right now. 1 game is not going to magically save it.

I would think so... I haven't seen a Dreamcast on a store shelf for YEARS!!

#60 Posted by jg4xchamp (48320 posts) -

lolno

#61 Posted by princeofshapeir (14261 posts) -

SSB4 is the real system seller, easily the most-hyped exclusive of the year.

#62 Edited by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

@princeofshapeir said:

SSB sells well, but MK is the better system seller by a wide margin.

#63 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2806 posts) -

Nothing short of 3rd party support can save the wii u IMO. Not to mention it's main games are like 20 years old.

#64 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

It will sell well amoung the established base, but I don't think it will move many retail Wii U units.

#65 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5630 posts) -

@lbjkurono23 said:

@princeofshapeir said:

SSB sells well, but MK is the better system seller by a wide margin.

Both of you are right.

#66 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11290 posts) -

i'm not sure if it will save the wii u but it look like one fun ass game

#67 Posted by Pffrbt (6564 posts) -

@no-scope-AK47 said:

Not to mention it's main games are like 20 years old.

No they aren't.

#68 Posted by MirkoS77 (7572 posts) -

I think it'll give it a healthy boost for a while but nothing that will vastly affect sales by any large margin.

#69 Edited by Xaero_Gravity (8749 posts) -

I see it providing a small boost, but I predict the Wii U will settle into third place when it comes to total console sales by the end of the year. I'd love for all three to be successful though as a successful console means more games, and that's all I want.

#70 Edited by scottpsfan14 (5569 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@KBFloYd said:

@ShepardCommandr said:

Nothing can save the wiiu

well nothing saved the ps3....so i guess the tables turned.

Yep. Those 80 million+ sales are really 'd00med' figures. The Wii out sold the competition, but not by a massive amount. And had no 3rd party support hardly. But then you know this don't you?

the ps3 was a massive failure that almost killed sony.....they had to cut the price 4 times and take losses for their blunders....and still ended up in 3rd place when the next gen started.

it was not saved.

No Sony wasn't saved, but the PS3 was a success in the end. It saw 80 million sales and that is a lot of consoles. Sure Sony were loosing money on each console sold for almost 4 years after release, but they got the job done in the end.

#71 Edited by AtariKidX (6282 posts) -

No.WiiU.....lol

#72 Edited by razu2444 (806 posts) -

It won't

#73 Posted by g0ddyX (3914 posts) -

How many Mario Kart topics are you going to make?
I hope Nintendo are paying you well for it.
The Sheep defense force are going all out, cos frankly, its probably the only sure fire Nintendo cartoon family friendly game they have at moment.

Mario Kart is NOT going to change or turn the Wii U Hardware any better.

#74 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (5630 posts) -

@g0ddyX said:

How many Mario Kart topics are you going to make?

I hope Nintendo are paying you well for it.

The Sheep defense force are going all out, cos frankly, its probably the only sure fire Nintendo cartoon family friendly game they have at moment.

Mario Kart is NOT going to change or turn the Wii U Hardware any better.

He has said many times before Wii U has no salvation... But MK8 will certainly give it a little boost.

Is it wrong to be excited for a Nintendo game? And I hope you're not using "cartoon family friendly" as an insult. That would make you a hypocrite since you like LBP a lot.

#75 Posted by sonic_spark (4659 posts) -
@charizard1605 said:

@Pray_to_me said:

Arguably the Gamecube sold as much as it did because of Smash and Kart.

And the Gamecube launched with Smash. And I believe Double Dash came out relatively quickly thereafter.

#76 Posted by charizard1605 (58094 posts) -

@sonic_spark said:
@charizard1605 said:

@Pray_to_me said:

And the Gamecube launched with Smash. And I believe Double Dash came out relatively quickly thereafter.

Double Dash released two years after Gamecube.

#77 Posted by AtariKidX (6282 posts) -

@sonic_spark said:
@charizard1605 said:

@Pray_to_me said:

Double Dash is a horrible kart game......and no....mario kart it will not save the WiiU.

#78 Posted by charizard1605 (58094 posts) -

@AtariKidX said:

@sonic_spark said:
@charizard1605 said:

@Pray_to_me said:

Double Dash is a horrible kart game......and no....mario kart it will not save the WiiU.

Double Dash is the best Kart game.

Jesus, do you ever say something that isn't completely wrong on every level possible?

#79 Posted by mexicangordo (8637 posts) -

Call me crazy, but I believe with the conjunction of SSBU that it will make a sales comeback. Maybe not PS4 sales but it will get out of the trough that it is in.