Will Mario Kart 8 save the Wii U?

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll Will Mario Kart 8 save the Wii U? (64 votes)

Yes 5%
Yes, along with Super Smash Bros. 23%
It'll help Wii U sales, but it won't 'save' it 27%
It'll give Wii U a short bump but it won't 'save' it 25%
It won't save the Wii U 20%

Mario Kart 8 is almost here- Nintendo's most hyped console game in years (possibly since Super Smash Bros. Brawl in 2008), the game has a lot of pressure on it. Not only does it represent Nintendo's first true foray into HD gaming (the graphics look gorgeous), but it is following the previous games in its series, which all sold obscene amounts and are largely credited with having helped move the system that they were on.

Wii U sales are floundering- there is no question about that. But do you think Mario Kart 8 will 'save' the Wii U? Do you think it will give the console a permanent boost? By save, I mean that it doesn't sell at the ghastly levels it is selling at now- it might not outsell the PS4 or the Xbox One, but it still at least rises above the current Dreamcast/PS Vita trajectory it is on. Do you think that will happen?

For reference, here are some statistics about previous Mario Kart games:

Super Mario Kart: 8 million (1 in 6 SNES owners owned Super Mario Kart)
Mario Kart 64: 9 million (1 in 4 N64 owners owned Mario Kart 64)
Mario Kart Super Circuit: 3.8 million (1 in 21 GBA owners owned Mario Kart Super Circuit)
Mario Kart Double Dash: 7 million (1 in 3 GameCube owners owned Mario Kart Double Dash)
Mario Kart DS: 23.34 million (1 in 6 DS owners owned Mario Kart DS)
Mario Kart Wii: 34 million (1 in 3 Wii owners owned Mario Kart Wii)
Mario Kart 7: 9.35 million (1 in 4 3DS owners own Mario Kart 7)

• 
Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

hopefully, but i wont hold my breath

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ghostwarrior786

also a bit off topic but the greatest racing games of all time are super mario kart and nfs hot pursuit 2. the later mario games dont feel as fun to me as the first one, there is something special about it

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#3  Edited By Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

If by save, you mean win this generation in sales, no. It, in conjunction with others games, will definitely help the Wii-U out a lot though.

It will be competitive with the One, but not the PS4.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

No. There is no "Saving" the Wii U. It will come in 2nd in the end, it will beat the Xbox One. But All games will just slightly boost sales. The Wii U will be the car that's puts along. It will be a Gamecube situation again.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

It will provide a big boost to the wiiu's image along with whatever else nintendo is planning for the console this year, but I do not not know if it will save the WiiU yet.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

I think it will be the Wii U's first system seller but it won't necessarily move the units it "needs."

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

Wiiu doesn't need saving. Everything is peachy.

Indicud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Indicud
Member since 2013 • 745 Posts

It. Pups very well end up surpassing the Xbox One if this market it right

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yes.

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By demon-returns
Member since 2007 • 1451 Posts

@lbjkurono23 said:

Wiiu doesn't need saving. Everything is peachy.

hahaha lol nice one.... I see what you did there

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I think it's going to turn things around completely. Nintendo is going to sell a ton of Wii U's through the end of the year between this game and Smash, and the casuals might actually hear about it in their casual conversations.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Nope. Just about anyone who intended on buying Mario Kart 8 already own a Wii U. There isn't millions of gamers holding out on a Wii U purchase until MK8 gets released. The Wii U needs new appealing IP that caters towards the PS4/XB1/PC crowd. Those old Nintendo franchises just aren't as relevant as they use to be. Also, Zelda U won't save the Wii U either.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

No it wont, cant save anything that already dead...

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#14 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

It will sell Wii Us. It isn't the most hyped Nintendo game in years though.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Yeah, I have my doubts too. I'm thinking a slight bump in hardware sales and some good lifetime sales for the game, but that's it.

As for that pic though... those usually make more sense.

Aside from 3D Mario, MK8 and Smash, I haven't seen any of those other factors thrown around.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
@PurpleMan5000 said:

I think it's going to turn things around completely. Nintendo is going to sell a ton of Wii U's through the end of the year between this game and Smash, and the casuals might actually hear about it in their casual conversations.

I find this perspective to be quite interesting. Would you say at the end of this year, Wii U is still ahead of the Xbox One?

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ghostwarrior786

@ConanTheStoner said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Yeah, I have my doubts too. I'm thinking a slight bump in hardware sales and some good lifetime sales for the game, but that's it.

As for that pic though... those usually make more sense.

Aside from 3D Mario, MK8 and Smash, I haven't seen any of those other factors thrown around.

zombiu was hyped up because it apparently makes good use of the gamepad and was supposed to illustrate how good the thing is, it flopped

wii fit & party were meant to get the casual market excited but it flopped

price drop didnt work

i hope it picks up but at this point nothing is going to save it

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Posting to see posts? (hoping this works like old GS)

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

You expect these two games to carry them through the rest of the gen?(3 to 4 year) That's some mighty optimism. Considering there doesn't seem to be much in the pipes, and even games like Zelda, Metroid, DK(heck in even SM3DW) have proven to be incapable of moving the needle.

We'll see, but as of this moment, it looks to be a failure.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

It will give it a slight sales boost but overall nothing major. Same goes for Smash Bros.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

No just as it didn't save Gamecube.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

This and SSB4 will move a lot of units. Anyone with a brain knows this.

Nintendo just needs to pull its weight this E3. If they do a good job. Wii U may end up like the Gamecube with a little hope.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

It's going to help that's for sure. I'm curious to see how much.

I'd hope that Nintendo has been working on stuff and has new projects in the pipeline that they'll show at E3 due to their poor performance so far. Really hoping they've invested some effort.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Pray_to_me said:

Arguably the Gamecube sold as much as it did because of Smash and Kart.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PurpleMan5000

@charizard1605 said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

I find this perspective to be quite interesting. Would you say at the end of this year, Wii U is still ahead of the Xbox One?

Yes. The Xbox One isn't selling much better than the Wii U in its first year. Microsoft relies heavily on 3rd party support, yet they are trying to sell a console that plays 3rd party games worse than their competition and costs $100 more. It is very unappealing right now. The only thing that could possibly put it ahead of the Wii U this year would be Halo 5, a price drop, and Nintendo incompetence. Nintendo is putting together a very nice exclusive library, and they actually have pretty good 3rd party support from indie developers. From May-July, people purchasing a Wii U will be able to get NSMBU/NSLBU packed in with the console, buy Mario Kart for $60, and get a choice of another game for free. If you take those games at retail value, you are only paying $160 for the Wii U. That is an enormous value. Nintendo would have to completely blow their advertising of this to not move millions of consoles at that price. It's a ridiculous deal, and if the online ends up being as good as it is looking to be for Mario Kart, and more importantly, if they can keep it together for Smash, I think they are going to turn a lot of the "Nintendo doesn't do online" talk into the "Why would I ever pay for online when I can get it elsewhere for free?" talk that ultimately sold me on a PS3 over an Xbox 360 last gen.

Nintendo also really needs to stress the point that all of your Wii controllers not only work with the Wii U, but are actually useful as a multiplayer control scheme in every Wii U game. For any other console that you purchase, you will have to spend $60 for an additional controller, plus $50-$60 to actually play whatever game you decide to purchase (no game included in the console price) online. If you already owned a Wii, you are going to be fully equipped for multiplayer, online or off, with no additional purchase required.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

So many people seem to forget that the Gamecube had all those games and still ended up flopping. The sad thing is that the Gamecube was actually selling better than the Wii U at this point in time. So, the Wii U is actually flopping harder than the Gamecube. Anyone who honestly believes Nintendo can revive the Wii U is smoking drugs.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Not trying to hate, but why was Nintendo being all cute and not releasing the big guns early on when they had a whole year. I think if one of the heavy hitters like mario kart or ssb came out at launch the numbers would be better and the support would be better, a whole worlds difference. The weak momentum towards the end of Wii should had been an indication to come out strong for the wii u.

I still voted that these two games will save or break them, if they don't pull enough numbers than they maybe in deep doo doo.

hotdiddykong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By hotdiddykong
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts

The meaning of "save" is lost because gamers today dont know what the shit they want.

Mario Kart 8 if anything will give the Wii U the boost that Titanfall failed to give the Xbone

Otherwise the meaning of "save" with shitspin within the fucking retarded community.

Because lets say that the Mario Kart 8 did indeed push its sales above the PS4, you idiots arent gonna consider it "saved" your just gonna turn around and treat it like you did the Wii.

I honestly dont give 2 shits, having an Xbone and a Wii U im already set for Next Gen being a Multigamer so its just gonna be another great game to play while you guys do nothing but blab console war bullshit, but who am i kidding, this is literally the System War forum.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PurpleMan5000

@emgesp said:

@Pray_to_me said:

So many people seem to forget that the Gamecube had all those games and still ended up flopping. The sad thing is that the Gamecube was actually selling better than the Wii U at this point in time. So, the Wii U is actually flopping harder than the Gamecube. Anyone who honestly believes Nintendo can revive the Wii U is smoking drugs.

The Gamecube was competing against 2 consoles that had a better library of games that it, though.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Hopefully push it to GC sales levels.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PurpleMan5000

@Bikouchu35 said:

Not trying to hate, but why was Nintendo being all cute and not releasing the big guns early on when they had a whole year. I think if one of the heavy hitters like mario kart or ssb came out at launch the numbers would be better and the support would be better, a whole worlds difference. The weak momentum towards the end of Wii should had been an indication to come out strong for the wii u.

I still voted that these two games will save or break them, if they don't pull enough numbers than they maybe in deep doo doo.

I think the games just weren't ready. What other reason could they have possibly had for not getting them out last year?

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

It is selling worse than the dreamcast right now. 1 game is not going to magically save it.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PurpleMan5000

@stuff238 said:

It is selling worse than the dreamcast right now. 1 game is not going to magically save it.

I think the Dreamcast would have been ok if Sega wouldn't have run out of money bringing out the CD, 32x, and Saturn, all during what was one console gen for everyone else.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

i will buy one if this game turns out to be good....or when supersmash comes out...until then fu*k nintendo

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Bikouchu35 said:

I think the games just weren't ready. What other reason could they have possibly had for not getting them out last year?

Probably, but I'm just thinking they should had planned for this come a bit sooner if not those two games than some other heavy hitter to get some momentum going. I mean the company is hurting a bit b.c of the slow sales.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#36 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Personally speaking, I got a Wii U specifically for Mario Kart 8, barely being aware of the other games the Wii U had to offer or is going to offer. I spent 500+ hours on Mario Kart Wii (both offline and online), and I still play it regularly. So when the home console sequel looks as good as it does, I don't really care what platform it's on, but I have to play it.

At least one other person I know ordered the Wii U + MK8 bundle, with several others considering it. So if I look around me, this game at least increases the interest in the console. I was not even considering getting a Wii U before I got one specifically for MK8.

Then again, this is coming from someone who is a major Mario Kart buff and believes the series has increased in quality quite dramatically over the years.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

Well, I got a WiiU for Mario Kart and Donkey Kong Country, just got it a bit sooner :p

But seriously, the WiiU has some really nice games now and more interesting exclusives than Xbone or PS4 have:

NSMB U, Pikmin, Zelda, Super Mario 3D World, Wonderful 101, Donkey Kong Country and upcoming Mario Kart and Bayonetta.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@R4gn4r0k said:

Well, I got a WiiU for Mario Kart and Donkey Kong Country, just got it a bit sooner :p

But seriously, the WiiU has some really nice games now and more interesting exclusives than Xbone or PS4 have:

NSMB U, Pikmin, Zelda, Super Mario 3D World, Wonderful 101, Donkey Kong Country and upcoming Mario Kart and Bayonetta.

I got a Wii U for Mario Kart too lol.

I always get a Nintendo for either Smash, or Pokemon, or Kart (if I am lucky, I get it for all three).

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

I got a Wii U for Mario Kart too lol.

I always get a Nintendo for either Smash, or Pokemon, or Kart (if I am lucky, I get it for all three).

On one hand I think they milk to much. But on the other I always end up buying their systems for the same series. I bought my Gamcube with the Mario Kart bundle, same with the 3DS.

I do appreciate them making new series like The Wonderful 101... but those are really never as popular as their main franchises.

I love: Mario 2D platformers and 3D platformers, Donkey Kong Country (glad it's back since last gen), Zelda, Pikmin, Smash, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, ... lol a lot really.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

It will definitely help in sales, but I'm not sure about saving it.

We'll see though.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Short term bump in hardware, but very high attach rate for title sales. People act like Mario Kart hasn't been on every Nintendo platform for forever now. It's just something you assume, and my guess is the biggest fans of the franchise are among the diehards already owning a machine.

I guess a sizable first month bump (for a typically slow month) and mild second month bump in console sales, before returning to normal.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#42 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

It's hard to say, isn't it? Why isn't the Wii U selling? Is it games, or did it too quickly follow up the Wii? Is it because it's too expensive relative to how cheap the Wii was?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@santoron said:

Short term bump in hardware, but very high attach rate for title sales. People act like Mario Kart hasn't been on every Nintendo platform for forever now. It's just something you assume, and my guess is the biggest fans of the franchise are among the diehards already owning a machine.

I guess a sizable first month bump (for a typically slow month) and mild second month bump in console sales, before returning to normal.

I find there to be multiple problems with this argument- not every Nintendo fan or Mario Kart fan necessarily owns a Wii U. Many might have decided to not spend money on the system until a game that they were interested in (i.e. Mario Kart) was available in the first place (probably also correctly assuming there would price drops and/or bundles by then). Many Nintendo die hards might be pushed into buying a Wii U now, with Mario Kart being the catalyst that pushes them to buy it, and the rest of the lineup representing a critical mass.

This isn't even to discuss the series' massive appeal outside of the Nintendo diehard. If you want to talk about the so called Mario Kart fanbase, it is at the very least in excess of 10 million people- so nearly half the people who like Mario Kart have not yet bought a Wii U, and are now likely to, especially given all the heavy pushing Nintendo is doing for this title.

Having said that, I agree there won't be a sustained bump, all from Kart itself- rather, Kart has a bump that lasts a few months, and when it begins to taper off, Smash comes along and provides another bump. Wii U is probably not going to sell at PS4 or even Xbone levels, but at the very least, it will be lifted above its current trajectory to somewhat respectable levels.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@santoron said:

I find there to be multiple problems with this argument- not every Nintendo fan or Mario Kart fan necessarily owns a Wii U. Many might have decided to not spend money on the system until a game that they were interested in (i.e. Mario Kart) was available in the first place (probably also correctly assuming there would price drops and/or bundles by then). Many Nintendo die hards might be pushed into buying a Wii U now, with Mario Kart being the catalyst that pushes them to buy it, and the rest of the lineup representing a critical mass.

This isn't even to discuss the series' massive appeal outside of the Nintendo diehard. If you want to talk about the so called Mario Kart fanbase, it is at the very least in excess of 10 million people- so nearly half the people who like Mario Kart have not yet bought a Wii U, and are now likely to, especially given all the heavy pushing Nintendo is doing for this title.

Having said that, I agree there won't be a sustained bump, all from Kart itself- rather, Kart has a bump that lasts a few months, and when it begins to taper off, Smash comes along and provides another bump. Wii U is probably not going to sell at PS4 or even Xbone levels, but at the very least, it will be lifted above its current trajectory to somewhat respectable levels.

Sure sure, not EVERY MK fan has a WiiU, which is why I allowed for a short term bump. Some have been waiting for this and/or Smash, and some will see value in the bundle or with the free game giveaway (which is why I went two month bump.)

But 10 million Die Hard have to own the game Mario Kart Fans? I don't see it. It's sold gangbusters on platforms with high install bases, but less so on smaller systems, and WiiU makes the smallest of install bases look large in comparison. Like I said earlier, it's a game that if you have a Nintendo from the last 20 years, you can play MK on it. A game that you buy for the platform you own, not go buying a platform to own.

I see a high attach rate for the game, and decent legs going forward. For example, if we end the year with say 9 million WiiUs, I can see 6 million in MK sales, partly because of MKs popularity with the core Nintendo audience, and partly because they are giving away a free game with it. And as the WiiU's install base creeps forward, I do think MK will continue to sell.

I guess I don't think the modest goals you list for a sustained minor bump going forward are out of bounds. If any increase at all going forward is enough cause to celebrate I can see your argument, but I don't see them approaching the other consoles for any sustained period. It's going to take a price cut to get them headed to even GC levels.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

No. A bump for a couple months, then back to PS3 beating it in sales.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@Heil68 said:

those will be a fun couple months though eh?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

@Heil68 said:

those will be a fun couple months though eh?

Sure. I still may buy the game, since you get a free game with purchase. Not sure if the bump will take out Xbone/PS4, guess we'll see.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Nothing can save the wiiu

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

Nothing can save the wiiu

well nothing saved the ps3....so i guess the tables turned.