Will Killer Instinct do well at EVO 2014? High level matches inside...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 10 months, 2 days ago

Poll: Will Killer Instinct do well at EVO 2014? High level matches inside... (30 votes)

Killer Instinct will do great at EVO 73%
I need to see more... 10%
Not a chance, it's a Western fighter 17%

Filthie Rich VS CD JR today on stream.

4 great high level matches that basically debunks the myth that the new Killer Instinct is too simplistic for tournament play.

Is this the deepest fighter of all time? Of course not.

Is this the same, mega-rushdown combos with no defense strategy we saw in KI and KIGold? Hell no.

Match 1 - Jago(CD JR) vs Sadira(Filthie Rich)

Match 2 - Jago(CD JR) vs Glacius(Filthie Rich)

Match 3 - Jago(CD JR) vs Jago(Filthie Rich)

Match 4 - Jago(CD JR) vs Thunder(Filthie Rich)

#1 Edited by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -

Maybe give reasons why or why not?...

#2 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10336 posts) -

Holy fuck does that game look good - especially when played properly

#3 Posted by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

*Takes back my bad comments*

Looks good in this video, the Twitch stream i saw before was horrid.

#4 Edited by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -

@AMD655 said:

*Takes back my bad comments*

Looks good in this video, the Twitch stream i saw before was horrid.

Agree on the earlier Twitch stream. It's just going to take people a while to get good enough to make decent streams.

#5 Posted by BigShotSmoov007 (235 posts) -

This has easily become my most wanted game. The game looks amazing.

#6 Edited by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -

Yep. That's the thing, this fighting system is basically brand new, the older KIs didnt have it, neither does any other current fighter. A new Street Fighter or MVC comes out and most gamers will be familiar with it off the bat. No one is familiar with this system yet...except Filthie Rich and the devs. By the time EVO 2014 comes around there will be a wealth of tournament quality talent out there.

#7 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10336 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

Yep. That's the thing, this fighting system is basically brand new, the older KIs didnt have it, neither does any other current fighter. A new Street Fighter or MVC comes out and most gamers will be familiar with it off the bat. No one is familiar with this system yet...except Filthie Rich and the devs. By the time EVO 2014 comes around there will be a wealth of tournament quality talent out there.

Thats probably the first video I've watched where I have actually watched the fighting - before its just been the graphics or the announcer (mainly the announcer). That fighting system looks spectacular, giving you so many opportunities when on either offense or defense.

Makes me wish I didn't suck so hard at fighting games.

#8 Posted by SonofK (1066 posts) -

This might be the best looking next gen in terms of overall visual appeal.

#9 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17146 posts) -

The fighting system just reminds me alot of MK, just the fighting is sped up and more combo-happy.

#10 Posted by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -

@SonofK said:

This might be the best looking next gen in terms of overall visual appeal.

I agree

#11 Posted by Gue1 (9500 posts) -

if MK with all the hype behind it didn't do well then I doubt that an exclusive game on the least popular console could do any better.

#12 Posted by Pokemon266 (369 posts) -

Nobody will own an xbone, so i doubt so

#13 Posted by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -

See me in this thread in 7 days...

#14 Edited by Pokemon266 (369 posts) -

@Pokemon266 said:

I'm sure you will enjoy a shitty downloadable title that cant even reach 1080p

#15 Posted by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -

@Spartan070 said:

@Pokemon266 said:

If this were 2006 I would avatar-bet you that it will outscore Killzone, but alas, I have moved past such things...

#16 Edited by Pokemon266 (369 posts) -

@Pokemon266 said:

@Spartan070 said:

@Pokemon266 said:

If this were 2006 I would avatar-bet you that it will outscore Killzone, but alas, I have moved past such things...

Let's avatar bet, quite possibly the easiest bet i will ever make.

#17 Posted by SonofK (1066 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

if MK with all the hype behind it didn't do well then I doubt that an exclusive game on the least popular console could do any better.

This is XB1, Not the Wii U, the XB1 is going to sell well, it's sold out everywhere right now and MK sold like 4 million copies between the 360 and PS3. Also this game is only 20 dollars.

#18 Edited by lhughey (4222 posts) -

I was originally looking forward to this game only for nostalgic reasons, but the game looks really good. I'm looking forward to playing it a couple of times to see if i want to purchase it. I'm glad it is F2P for a rolling character.

#19 Posted by Alucard_Prime (2743 posts) -

Should do fine....gameplay looks pretty solid overall.

#20 Edited by hayato_ (5008 posts) -

It looks ok tbh. It will garner a couple of players, but nothing big at EVO. Anything to replace Persona 4 Arena. That game was terrible at EVO imo

#21 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (2869 posts) -

Looks decent, I don't really like fighting games. Considering it is free for one character, I will give it a try. It will be dry county for a few months in its first year on the market, so may as well try and get the most out of the Xbone.

#22 Edited by jhcho2 (4373 posts) -

I say it would be difficult. the EVO Championship has always been very focused on fighting games which came from the arcade scene - Tekken, SF, Marvel vs Capcom, King of Fighters etc.

In those cases whereby non-arcade fighters made it into the tourny, they were mostly japanese fighters. Killer Instinct doesn't really have a strong following, be it in the US or international.

#23 Posted by SonofK (1066 posts) -

@jhcho2 said:

I say it would be difficult. the EVO Championship has always been very focused on fighting games which came from the arcade scene - Tekken, SF, Marvel vs Capcom, King of Fighters etc.

In those cases whereby non-arcade fighters made it into the tourny, they were mostly japanese fighters. Killer Instinct doesn't really have a strong following, be it in the US or international.

Injustice is a new fighter and it's did pretty well this year at EVO and will probably get picked up by MLG. Killer Instinct probably won't replace Street FIghter or Tekken but it could be in the same league as Injustice.

#24 Edited by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -

Looks decent, I don't really like fighting games. Considering it is free for one character, I will give it a try. It will be dry county for a few months in its first year on the market, so may as well try and get the most out of the Xbone.

I'm predicting about 70% of X1 owners will download the free rotating character because it's both free and (will be) highly praised.

#25 Edited by _TheJoker_ (6013 posts) -

@Pokemon266 said:

Same here, but in 5!

#26 Posted by silversix_ (14072 posts) -

The art style and combos look cool as fk.

#27 Posted by SuperCowElitist (730 posts) -

Killer instinct doesn't look balance. Won't stand a chance.

#28 Posted by hotdiddykong (2048 posts) -

people give it a lot of flak, but i feel its really gonna do well

#29 Edited by Bruin1986 (1232 posts) -

Were it not for Forza, I would find it hilarious that the best launch exclusive title for each consoles is a $20 download-only game. But hey, that's the future.

I know practically nothing about fighters, but the art style is pretty unique and intriguing and the particle effects on those special moves are delicious.

#30 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

Damn this game looks fantastic and it still might not even be the best launch title.

#31 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

Are you stupid in the head? How did MK not do well and is on for the 3rd straight year at EVO? Not that EVO imo with al it's time warp fighters has any credibility to me but still?

(I also wonder why they don't do fighting sims at Evo, maybe because they don't have hadokens and are not made by Capcom.)

#32 Posted by CloudStrife213 (425 posts) -

@supercowelitist:

Coming from a playstation fanboy, your opinion doesn't matter.

#33 Posted by Syn_Valence (1348 posts) -

Yep....looks like crap........"goes back to playing killzone"

#34 Edited by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -

It's not going to be at EVO next year, so this thread is pointless.

You figure they might run eight games, so it'll be: SSFIV: AE (or USFIV depending on release), Tekken Tag 2, and UMVC3 and those three games are guaranteed slots. Then you've got King of Fighters XIII, Guilty Gear Xrd Sign, Blazblue Chronophatasma, Street Fighter X Tekken, Injustice, and Mortal Kombat 9, all of which have a better chance of being at EVO than Killer Instinct does. Hell, even Super Smash Bros. Melee has a better shot than KI, given how popular it was last year and how much of a push there is for it to come back.

Anyone who thinks that Killer Instinct has a good chance of being on the main stage at EVO next year doesn't understand EVO. It will be lucky to have side tournaments. The only way it will be on the main stage is if Microsoft pays for it.

#35 Edited by freedomfreak (39164 posts) -

Not really interested in this game, but it looks really good. Nice artstyle.

#36 Posted by SuperCowElitist (730 posts) -
#37 Posted by Ghost120x (3738 posts) -

I must say I'm growing on this game. it looks like a really fun launch game that will be good for holiday gatherings. This may sway me into getting an xbox, but it also depends on how it does next week. Sony missed a huge opportunity by not getting a fighting game at launch since I love fighting games.